How to pay underpaid income tax?

POSTED BY Vasanth Kumar J ON June 25, 2012 5:38 pm COMMENTS (12)


Could you please help me in paying my underpaid Income tax ?? is there any online link to make the payment or any other ways?? pls suggest


12 replies on this article “How to pay underpaid income tax?”

  1. shrmk says:

    Hi Gurus

    Currently, I’m running exactly into same condition as this thread was started!

    I’ve not paid (challan 280) tax and need to fill ITR FY13-14 (tomorrow is last day)..

    What should I do?

    Can I fill ITR and pay outstanding tax later?

    I am lazy guy so would prefer online option 😉 Please help!



  2. Deivasigamani says:

    Thanks Ramprakash again for your reply.

    I got some more information from the FAQ section of TIN ( According to that it will take 5-7 days and after that we can check the status of our tax paid using the challan status inquiry page –

  3. Ramprakash says:

    I dont know how much time it takes. I would guess 2 days atleast.

    In my case I paid self assessment tax on 14 July thru icici online banking and it got reflected on 18th July.

  4. Deivasigamani says:

    Yesterday i had paid the tax as suggested. Thanks a lot for the same.

    Does anyone know after how much days income tax paid online through TIN website will be reflected in the FORM 26AS? I thought of waiting till the self assestment details being reflected in form 26as and then file the return online.


  5. Deivasigamani says:

    Thanks Ramprakash for the answer. It is for the FY 2011-12, and i will do so as advised.

  6. Deivasigamani says:

    Dear Ashal & Ramprakash

    Thanks for your quick response.

    First let me outline the scenario. I am a salaried person and for this financial year i had deposited some money in the bank through Auto Sweep feature described in jagoinvestor article –

    For the money deposited, the bank had deducted TDS @ 10% as the interest income had crossed stipulated 10k. They had given me Form 16A for the same.

    After adding my salary and interest provided by bank, my taxable income falls under 20% tax bracket and now I need to pay some tax of around 1000. I thought of exploring the online options for payment and came across this thread.

    Now in that url for challan 280 –, i believe the following options should be chosed.

    Tax Applicable – (0021)INCOME-TAX (OTHER THAN COMPANIES)

    Type Of Payment – (100)ADVANCE TAX or (300)SELF ASSESSMENT TAX or (400)TAX ON REGULAR ASSESSMENT? of these which one should be used or some other option? which one should be used?

    Thanks in advance for your reply.


    1. Ramprakash says:

      If it is for FY 2011-2012 and you are paying before July 31, 2012, then its self assessment.
      If you are paying for FY 2012-2013, then its advance tax.

  7. Ramprakash says:

    Challan no. 280.

    Which other options you have doubt in? And the answer will depend on who are you, what are you trying to pay, which AY etc… so you will have to be specific in your doubts and first lay the details… for someone to answer…

  8. Deivasigamani says:

    Ashal, the link above doesn’t work now…however i got the home page link

    in this link i am having a few queries like which challan should be selected and and what are the other options should be selected..can u help me?


    1. Dear Deivasigamani, please provide more details or specifications what do you want to know?



  9. Dear Vasanth, please pay from the following link. –



  10. Dhruv B says:

    Search ‘eTax’ on google. There is a link from Tax Information Network (TIN) which helps you pay underpaid tax in assessment year. Select appropriate challan, and it allows you to pay via net banking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.