POSTED BY September 16, 2013 COMMENTS (166)ON
You bought your “Dream Home” and you are on top of the world. The joy and pride you have after buying your home is amazing. The property is at great location and the prices are appreciating, and you feel you are the Hero ! . Now you want to sell your flat for some reason and you are more than confident that you will get a buyer and the deal will take just few weeks and you will be bathing in cash from top to down.
Prospective buyers have started meeting you and they want to buy the property, but they are all rejecting it. They are “informed investors” who take care of every single detail and they ask you that killer question –
“Everything is fine, but where is your undivided share of land (UDS) in agreement?”
You are wondering whats going on, quite amazed only to realize later that you were only sold the building which is depreciating each moment, but “LAND” , which is the real thing is not owned by you.
You are SCAMED or FOOLED ! or both ! . Let me introduce to the term “Undivided Share of Land” or UDS as its called generally in real estate world and why you cant ignore this at any cost while purchasing properties.
I will keep it short and simple. Undivided Share of Land is the share of land owned by you when you purchase the property. Basically when you buy a flat or apartment, you are buying two things
1. The constructed building – where you actually reside
2. The proportionate share on the land, where the whole property is built
The Price Appreciation in real estate actually is the appreciation in land prices, because technically the building will depreciate overtime. Its not that cement and concrete structure which is the prime thing, but the land. Have you ever thought what will happen if there is an Earthquake and the building collapses ? What is in future, the govt wants to acquire the land for some national project and wants to give compensation to you ?
Leave all that, imagine in future your building after many years needs to be redeveloped and a new construction has to happen. At that time, the amount of land you own will matter. Note that incase of co-operative societies, the Undivided Share of Land might be on the name of society and not on the home owner name, because they are share holder in the society, which is fine.
The sum of all the flat owners UDS has to be equal to the property land size. You should also know that the undivided share of land will be proportionate to your property area.
Example 1 – If there is land measuring 1,000 sq and there are 10 flats or equal size is constructed on that land, then each owner will have 10% of the land as his/her share.
Example 2 – Lets say there is a big township where 100 units of 2 BHK flats of 1,000 sqft and 50 units of 3 BHK measuring 1,500 sqft . Then the total constructed area is (100 units * 1000 sqft) + (50 * 2000 sqft) = 2,00,000 sqft . Anyone who owns a 1,000 sqft flat will have 0.5% share in the total land (Because 1000 is 0.5% of 2,00,000) and anyone who owns a 2,000 sqft flat (3 bhk) will have 1% UDS .
There has been cases where the builder has allocated less undivided share to flat owners and kept some part of himself and the original land owner (a lot of times, builder buy the land from someone else). Here is one such example
Current apartment which I am staying is 10 years old apartment. Building having total 24 flats. Whereas builder made total 26 undivided share. Other than 24 flat owners one share for builder and one share for Land owner. In the share of builder and Land owner they constructed few shops in building cellar. SOURCE
Important Point – The above example is for apartment system . If its a co-operative society, then the land share is equal for each member, irrespective of their property size.
When you buy the property, your builder will give you a date when you have to come to registration office and all the agreement work will be done. Most of the times, builders are reluctant to show you the agreement copy. But they will be ready to share someone else agreement copy at their office or at the main site.
Just have a look at that agreement which is like a specimen or the format, on some of the page, you will see “Details of Undivided Share of Land” and it will be mentioned in percentage terms like “0.45%” or exact area in sqft terms. Just read the whole thing carefully.
Then when the actual agreement has to take place, you can then read the agreement in detail and make sure you look after this point in your agreement copy. A small tip here is that when builder calls you for registration, tell him you would like to come before 1 hour from the scheduled time and have a detailed look at the agreement, if possible also get a lawyer with you and have him look at the agreement.
So did you check your agreement copy and see how much Undivided share of land you own ?
Here is the list of some of our best content.
2021 © Jagoinvestor.com All Right Reserved