What is EPS Scheme Certificate? (this is related to EPF pension)

POSTED BY Jagoinvestor ON June 24, 2019 COMMENTS (58)

Do you know that, when your employer contributes to EPF then a larger portion of it goes to EPS (Employee Pension Scheme)? In this article, I will elaborate to you what is EPS, how it works and also the process of getting its certificate to claim your pension.

Employee Pension Scheme

What is the EPS scheme?

EPS i.e. Employee’s Pension Scheme is actually part of EPF itself, which means it is applicable for all the employees who are contributing towards EPF. This scheme offers a guaranteed and secured pension to the employee after retirement. A nominee can also get the benefit of pension under this scheme after the death of the employee.

Both employee and the employer contribute equally i.e. 12% of employee’s monthly salary towards employees EPF. However, the 12% which the employer provides, out of that 8.33% goes towards EPS and only remaining 3.67% goes to your EPF.

Diagram showing contribution to EPS and EPF

Features of EPS:

  • The minimum pension amount that you get is Rs.1000 per month.
  • The employee can avail of the pension benefit after retirement or once he attains 58 years of his age.
  • The employee can defer his EPS up to the age of 60. In this case, he will get an increase of 4% on his EPS balance for every deferred year.
  • Widow/ widower and children (up to 25 years of age) of the deceased employee will also get the benefit of this pension scheme.
  • In case the widow/ widower opts for remarriage then, only the children will receive the pension until they attain the age of 25 years.
  • If the child is disabled then, he is eligible to receive the pension for his entire life.
  • To claim your pension you need to get the EPS certificate from EPFO.

Who can get EPS certificate?

Every employee who has been registered under EPFO can get EPS certificate for claiming his pension. The EPS balance can be either withdrawn after retirement or it can be claimed as pension by opting EPS certificate depending on the tenure of service and the age of the member. So, to elaborate this, I have given some examples below (The length of the service is rounded off to one year if the number of months served is more than 6)

    • A person working for 9 yrs. and 6 months (will be considered as 10 yrs.) but less than the age of 58yrs can either apply for the scheme certificate or can withdraw the money from EPS.
    • A person who has attained the age of 58 yrs. but has completed only 7 yrs. of service then he can either apply for a scheme certificate or can also withdraw.
    • A person who has done more than 10 years of service has to apply for a scheme certificate. He cannot withdraw money from the EPS account.

What is EPS Certificate?

EPS Certificate is a certificate issued by the Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), Ministry of Labour, and Government of India, stating the details of service of the Provident Fund member. The EPS Scheme Certificate shows the service details of the employee, i.e. the number of years he has served and the family details of an employee, i.e. the member of the family who is eligible to get a pension in case of death of the member. As the EPS Scheme Certificate has all the details regarding the service of a member of EPFO, it serves as an authentic record of service.

This is how EPS Certificate looks like:this is how eps certificate looks like

How to apply for EPS Scheme Certificate?

Once you are leaving the job, then you have to fill the Form 10C. In the form 10C, there are options either to withdraw EPS or apply for EPS Scheme Certificate. Once you chose the options to issue EPS Scheme Certificate, then your employer sends the same to EPFO and then EPFO will issue you an EPS Scheme Certificate. If your all inputs are correct, then EPFO will issue you the EPS Scheme Certificate within a month or so.

This is how Form 10C looks like:

this is how form 10 C of EPS looks like

I hope this article has helped you in understanding every detail about EPS and its certificate. Let me know if you have any queries or doubts in the comment section.

58 replies on this article “What is EPS Scheme Certificate? (this is related to EPF pension)”

  1. Ashu says:

    Dear Sir,
    First of all my sincere thanks for such a wonderful article.
    I did 3.75 years job in one company and 11.6 years in other company in India. I have already applied for PF withdrawal and for Pension my last employer asked me to apply for Scheme Certificate. But since now I am migrating to other country so in that case can I apply for Pension withdrawal ? Or I have to apply for scheme certificate only ?

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Pension Scheme has to be applied as of now. You will be able to get the pension later in life when you will have to provide that pension scheme certificate.


  2. Somya Tiwari says:

    i have worked in 1 organization for 1 year and for 7.5 years in 2 organization. there is 1 year gap between two services. so my total service period is 8.5 year. 1 Year gap will be counted in total service period? Can i withdraw my EPS amount?

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      No, it wont be counted. It will be 8.5 yrs only!

  3. ganesh r shetty says:

    I am 61 years old working for private company. I contributed for EPS 95 for 16 years now when i apply 10D form portal is asking for scheme certificate number. From where i will get the scheme certificate number.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      As you are already 61, you should now be getting the pension .. for that apply to EPF department !

  4. Vivek Shinde says:


    I worked for 15+ years and got the entire PF transferred to a new job (organization). Do I have to still get a scheme certificate? Now I am retiring and going to apply for a pension.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      You need EPS certificate if you are going not be in employment. IF you are directly applying, then I don’t think its needed



    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Its for someone who didnt continue employment till 58 yrs and left in between!

  6. A K Sharma says:

    Hello Sir,

    Thanks for the amazing article. I switched my job about 14 years ago after 21 years of service with my previous employer. I recently started receiving my pension but it does not include the amount of the initial 21 years. Please tell me what I can do in this case.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Did you transfer your EPF/EPS properly?

      Enquire about it using RTI !

  7. Nanda says:

    Hello Sir,

    Thankyou for the valuable information. I have lost my pension scheme certificate – i have the cover letter sent by pension office while issuing the scheme certificate. When I approached EPFO branch , the officer asked me to write a letter / affidavit attested by NOTARY requesting for duplicate of scheme certificate. But when I went for submission , new commissioner had taken over and he asked for affidavit attested first class magistrate / executive magistrate. Its been more than a year , i couldn’t take it further due to COVID. Please guide me whats the latest procedure?

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      These things are really complicated when it comes to EPF / EPS . I don’t think there is any other way!

  8. Veluchamy J says:

    Hi Sir,
    I have 4.5 years of experience. Recently I have resigned from my old company and joined new company. I have withdrawn my PF amount from my old company. But I have not withdrawn by EPS amount. Here I have a some doubts,

    1. I heard from some of my colleagues that once I withdrawn my PF amount then I will not be a member of Pension Scheme to avail pension benefits after retirement age, even though I have more than 10 years of Service at my retirement age. Is that So ?
    2. Since I withdrawn my PF amount from my old company, Is it possible to transfer my EPS alone to my new company ? If so, how ?

    Kindly help me in this.

    Many Thanks,
    Veluchamy J

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      I think once you transfer your EPF , you also give a form for EPS transfer with that. Did you not give that?

      We are not aware of how to just migrate the EPS part!


  9. Nandha says:

    I have been working with an organisation for 4.5 years after which I moved to a new company. I wasn’t aware of availing scheme certificate for the eps accumulated for the 4.5 years. I see only my current organization EPS amount in EPF passbook. Now that I am working in a different organisation, how do I claim the amount accumulated during my employment with my previous company? Am I losing the previous eps amount?

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      No, you are not loosing it. Just transfer the EPF of old to new one .. the whole thing will get transferred!

  10. Mahendra Bhagat says:

    I had worked with Mahagenco from oct 1998 to dec 2010, I have not applied for Pension Certificate.Now to whom I have to apply Employer(Mahagenco) or EPFO, please guide.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Contact EPFO in this case. Do you have your EPF number with you?

  11. G MANIKANDAN says:


    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Were you not able to do calculations yourself?

  12. Chandra Shekhar Bawari says:

    Sir, I have complited my 58 years on 31/5/2010 till date i hve contected through e seva about pension montly basis but when I have confirmed my KYC the message reflects that your employer has not verified your KYC as our company was closed on2015 and the office had been closed and also non of the concerned are traceable. I have my Scheme certificate lying with me please confirm how can I get mymonthly pension from your office. As there is a helath issue so please do the needful on top prioroty. Thanks cHANDRA SHEKHAR BAWARI

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Better file an RTI to find the answer to this query.

  13. Ravi says:

    sir i have resigned my job and my service is 26 years and my age is 56 years & were will i get EPS certificate.
    weather in EPFO office or were i have worked there.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      You will get it from EPFO only !

  14. Ravi says:

    i am trying to apply for pension by online but i am getting this error E03: Scheme certificate does not exist or Invalid Scheme certificate number, plz help me to solve this problem.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Its something we are not aware about.. track it with EPFO only

    2. P Ravi Kumar says:

      In the space at “Scheme Certificate If Any”..
      Do Not fill the “State Name” & “City” along with “Scheme Certificate Number”
      (Leave that area blank in that area)

  15. APRANTA says:

    my mom has lost the scheme certificate how to apply for a duplicate one


    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Contact EPFO for this

  16. K Rajendra Kumar says:

    Good Morning,
    I am a retired bank manger, I have withdrawn my PF.
    When i try to withdraw the Pension ( Form 10D), its asking me to enter my Scheme Certificate number.
    I have entered the ( last 8 digits of the scheme certificate number, however it says
    ” E03: Scheme certificate does not exist or Invalid Scheme certificate number”
    Please adivse

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      I am not aware of this. Check with EPFO !

  17. Dharmesh Sangani says:

    If an employee has withdrawn his PF and Pension in 2008 and again he gets the same PF Acoount due to rejoining. Now new contribution starts from 2009 onwards and the said employee leave by 2019.
    Also, his Service from 2009 to mid 2018 was at Mumbai and from Mid 2018 till mid 2019 at Bangalore so 2 PF accounts and same company.

    The employee age is 50 years. SO in this case can employee calim Certificate for Mumbai and Bangalore as weel.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      I don’t think so .. One can claim it only for PF account which was 10 yrs old as far as my understanding goes.. please check with EPFO on this


    Now they made everything online right..in this case how to send Form 3A and service break sheet to EPF office .
    Whether the Employer will send a hard copy or how…..
    I applied 10D through the online portal.

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      Hi Pavan

      I can see how that things have changed .. Better contact EPF department to get clarity on this. As its a govt thing, please expect lukewarm response and delay in getting answers


  19. Satya says:

    I have withdrawn my pf money and employers and
    Now wishes to get scheme certificate by paying back the money with interest.
    What is the procedure for this?
    Presently I am working

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      You will mostly get the certificate once you complete 10 yrs !

  20. Nidhi Singh says:

    When PF is transferred from one organization to other, does EPS also get transferred?

    1. Vandana Manwani says:

      Hi Nidhi Singh

      Thanks for your comment.
      Yes you are right.


  21. Rama Vittal says:

    Yes . It’s really very useful information. You have provided good and valuable info. Many people are not aware of this EPS. Good thought to share this information.

    1. Vandana Manwani says:

      Thanks for your comment Rama Vittal .. Please keep sharing your views like this..


  22. p s thomas says:

    thank you useful information p s thomas

    1. Anuradha Singh says:



    2. Punjab Mokase says:

      Sir, Very useful article.
      Further please add the procedure of receiving pension after age of 58, who have pension certificate.
      Pls guide.

  23. K Nagaraja says:

    Article about EPS was very useful.
    Thank you.

    1. Anuradha Singh says:

      Thank You for Appreciating.


  24. Ramchandra Kheratkar says:

    Thanks, very good article

    1. Anuradha Singh says:



  25. Ir very nice scheme for all us.

    1. Anuradha Singh says:

      Thank You for commenting


  26. Harkirat Singh Bedi says:

    Thank you very much. This is extremely useful.

    1. Anuradha Singh says:

      Hello Mr. Bedi, Thank You appreciating this article.


  27. Sachin says:

    Really very helpful and commonly unknown information by most of the employees. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

    1. Anuradha Singh says:

      Hello Mr. Sachin, Thank You for your valuable comment. Stay tuned to our blog for more such articles and Videos.


    2. hemant says:

      I got the scheme certificate in 2015 after leaving an organisation.I joined three organisations till date after 2015.I did not surrender the certificate after joining the new establishment. Can I do now?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

FREE Financial Health Checkup

Take up a detailed 25 questions financial health checkup to find out how much you score out of 100?

Subscribe to our Newsletter