Reality of Financial Planning – Knowledge and Perception

POSTED BY Jagoinvestor ON August 28, 2009 COMMENTS (6)

Sometime back, I had a Financial Planning Survey on “Where do you place your self on understanding and knowledge of Personal finance and Financial Planning”.

In total 96 people participated in the poll. Let’s see how the result compares overall. What were the results and what is the reality and what reasons are connected for this behaviour.

financial planning example

Comparison of Data

Let us first look at the results. In the above two pie charts you can see that Most of the people placed themselves in “Much above the average” and “Above Average” Category. That is 60% of total participants and only 40% people placed themselves “Below average” or “No Knowledge at all”.

From my experience, understanding and logic, majority of people are Below average in Financial Planning Advice. I think it’s around 80% and only 20% will be above average with a handful really way above the average. A huge chunk has to be below average but most of them have put themselves about as ‘Average’.

What is the Reason for this?

• overconfidence and overestimation of their knowledge. For example they will argue about why not to take Term Insurance but they dont know that they are wrong
  • No idea about where others belong in the category
  • They underestimate the process of Financial Planning, they think that they can do it well

There can be other reasons as well but these are the top reasons.

To get SMS Alerts from Jagoinvestor, Click Here

What is the Effect or Result of this Thinking?

• Most of the people live in the belief that Financial Planning is something they can do themselves without any profession help and hence mess it up at the end. They do not understand the Goal of Financial Planning
  • It causes delay in there Financial Planning and hence the situation becomes worse. They don’t get better “financial planning advice” because of this. They don’t understand how to figure out if a Financial Product suits them or not

Basically its a comparison between “Thinking” Vs “Reality”. I must admit that this blog is getting a lot of readers who still need to learn a lot to manage their Personal finance in a better way. Read “Do you need a Financial Planner ?”

Question: What do you think about this post, why do you think most of the people ahead of others? Is it Reality or just a sense of disagreement that you are not ahead of others.

6 replies on this article “Reality of Financial Planning – Knowledge and Perception”

1. Manish Chauhan says:

@Aakash

Your investment decision will only depend on your time horizon and your risk appetite , not your Amount invested . It can be 1k per month or 50k per month . Long term invest in Mutual funds through SIP , short term i would recommend FD . thats simple .

@Venkatesh kumar

Thanks for the appreciation 🙂 . Take your time and then comment , but be honest about what you think 🙂

@Siddu

Welcome , Please check the link now , i have fixed it , this pdf thing has really taken too much time of mine

2. Siddu says:

Thanks again for wonderful post.

Your blog pdf file link is broken. it doesnt disply anything. Kindly check.

3. Venkatesh Kumar says:

I like the frankness of your responses.
    I've recently started reading your blogs – honestly, its too early to comment on it.
    But, i must say a lot of articles are eye openers for me.

Thanks, and keep your "Social Entrepeurship" going on.
    -Venkatesh

4. Anonymous says:

I read these blogs regularly and fine this very informative. Had you started this 10 yrs back, I would have been much better of today.
    I had posted a question under ask a question. If I can save 50K every month, what would be my best options for maximum returns. I dont mind an above average risk as well
    Aakash

5. Manish Chauhan says:

@Khalid

Thanks for the appreciation , how did you find my blog 🙂 and what is your favorite part at jagoinvestor

6. khalid says:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my comments regularly here. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    khalid

Comments are closed.

About Jagoinvestor

Jagoinvestor is a financial literacy website which is working towards empowering investors to take better financial decisions and make informed choices while buying financial products and living a good financial life.

Join 1,60,000 readers + FREE Ebook

Never miss the valuable emails from us. Subscribe now and get a highly valuable ebook containing the best of our content.

Things we do

We have various things to offer to investors which can help them to gain knowledge and work on their financial life.

Join 1,60,000 email subscribers