Difference between Growth and DIvident option in mutual funds

People are confused , really confused …

There are 3
Mutual Funds Options (Growth , dividend , dividend Re-investment) and we will discuss those today. There are lot of misconceptions and myths which add to confusion in the world of mutual funds and agents use it against investors and make them fool …

Different Options in Mutual funds

1. Growth Option

Under this option you get the units at the time of buying and you have same number of units till the end. The NAV keeps changing according to performance

2. Dividend Option

This is the most misunderstood option in mutual fund.

Dividend option in mutual funds means that you will be repaid some amount of your investments every year and it will be called as “dividends” , this helps those people who want some regular returns every year from their investments in mutual funds.

People think that dividend is something extra which they receive other then their investments which is not true :) , Dividend is declared per unit basis, if you have 100 units and MF declares dividend Rs 4 per unit , you receive Rs 400 , and you think that your earlier investments have the same worth , where as it decreases by the amount you receive as dividend , because its paid out of your investments only . The NAV of the unit goes down after paying dividend proportionately.

Example : let assume you have Rs 1 lac of units in a mutual fund with NAV of Rs 100 , you will have 1000 units . dividend declared : Rs 20 per unit

How it works : You will get Rs 20,000 and then your remaining worth will be Rs 80,000 and as you have 1000 units , the NAV will go down to 80 . So your actual worth is same as Rs 1 lac . The only advantage to you is that you are getting liquidity with your investments and getting regular cash every year, unlike growth option.

Agents generally lure investors to invest in NFO’s claiming that if company declared dividends, they will get more dividend compared to existing funds as they will have more units, Which is nothing but a idiotic myth :)

3. Dividend reinvestment

In this option ,the step is as follows

- Re-adjust the NAV assuming that dividend is paid.

- after that buy more units of same MF with that dividend money and allot it. So ultimately the number of units increases and the NAV goes down. In this case dividend money is not given to the investor but re-invested in the same scheme.

dividend declared : Rs 20 per unit

How it works : Your dividend will be Rs 20,000 , and NAV will come down to Rs 80 like it happened above. Now this 20,000 will be re-invested in same mutual fund and you will get extra 250 units (20000/80).

Your Total units = 1250
NAV = Rs 80

Worth = 1250 * 80 = 1,00,000

Which one is better Dividend or Growth ?

It depends . There is no thumb rule to decide which one is better then the other, it depends on the situation and your needs.

When is Growth Option better ?

If you are a person who earns well and does not need regular money back from your investment and if you are looking at long term investments then growth option is best for you because your investments gets compounded , which does not happen on the dividend part in dividend option as it goes back to investor and its never part of future growth .

When is Dividend Option better ?

If you are a person who need regular money every year from investments for some purpose, It may happen that you have more responsibilities and more dependents and if any small money which you get extra every year is helpful to you , in that case you can go for dividend option.

Conclusion :
Different options in mutual funds are for different types of investors , before investing just see what do you want from your investments and take appropriate option.

Returns in long term from Dividend and Growth : Below is an example which shows the returns from similar funds with growth and dividend options and there performance over 3 years.

I would be happy to read your comments or disagreement on any topic. Please leave a comment.

Want FREE HELP in buying right health insurance policy for you ? Get Free Help Now

By Manish Chauhan on April 25, 2008 · Posted in Mutual Funds

116 Comments | Post Comment

jitu says:

Actually choosing between growth or dividend or dividend reinvestment also has a mathematical reasoning other than the just the investors needs. It is based on the income tax rules and the fund being equity or non-equity and considering long and short term capital gains.
Previously I thought that dividend option is better because mutual fund experts decide when to book profits and give dividends, and it is good to get some amount of my investment back from the risky market. But now I have come to know that it is purely publicity tactis.

Posted on September 18th, 2008

Manish Chauhan says:

@jitu , yes you are correct . Though i didnt mention , but on the back of mind, i was always talking about Equity mutual funds .

Posted on September 18th, 2008

Anonymous says:

I was referring to these scehems..

Do we need to pay any exit load for funds with a lock-in of 3yrs or more??

JC

Posted on December 29th, 2008

Anonymous says:

For Mutual funds, we have to either pay an entry load or exit load. However, for some fund houses if we apply directly there is 0% entry load.

The entry load charged goes towards paying up the distributor…
where as for no entry load,Of course, we don’t get any expert advice (like that from distributors in the earlier example) and we have to put money at our own risk…

Which option should we look into… entry load/exit load?

JC

Posted on December 29th, 2008

@JC

Only tax savinf funds have lock in period of 3 yrs .. and currently no one has exit load .. Exit load is generally there if you get out within 6 months or 1 yr .. else its not there .

- manish

Posted on December 29th, 2008

@JC

You can directly invest through the fund houses to save entry load .. Going through an agent will attract entry load and the advice given by him is most of the time based on 3-5 yrs returns only .. which you can see your self ..

If your long term horizon is more than 5+ yrs , you can invest in any god long term consistent performer …

Posted on December 29th, 2008

Anonymous says:

Thanks Manish.

I have a SIP of rs.1000 pm, towards Magnum Taxgain. Due to lack of awareness, i made it thru an agent. I am planning to invest rs.6k in this fund.(I have investments in 3funds (ELSS)).Now as every time the investment is charged a 2.25% entry load, can i open another a/c by directly applying to the fund house??

I have started the MF only from Aug’08, so closing this is a worst option… as the charges levied will be more :-(

Can we have two a/c’s with the same fund house, for the same MF ??

JC

Posted on December 29th, 2008

@JC

when you invest in a MF , you get a Folio number , its like an account where units are saved .. when you invested in a MF with SBI magnum tax gain , you must have got a folio number … every time you invest in that . the units are added to that folio number … Now if you stop your agent services and want to do it directly from Fund house .. You can do that (and save 2.25% entry load)

And the same folio number will be used .

An SIP has to run minimum of 6 months .. even if you have taken an SIP of more than 6 months initialy , you can stop it without any charges ..

Does that answer your question ?

Posted on December 29th, 2008

Anonymous says:

Thanks Manish.

–Just go to fund house and invest (give them details of your folio number , you can do this online also) …

If i go to the fund house/pay online for additional units, the additional amount will not attract any entry load. Is this correct?

The amount for SIP is debited from my a/c every month, so should i have to stop this EC.. and pay directly to avoid the entry load..
Am i making sense?? :?

@JC

Posted on December 29th, 2008

Manish Chauhan says:

You should do following ..

If its already been 6 months from starting of SIP

there are two things you can do

1. Ask yur fundhouse that you dont want to continue the SIP .

OR

2. Dont leave money in your account, so the ECS fails , after it fails .. you SIP will be discontinued .

You should actually stops this SIP . and start a fresh one by filling a different form .

For any further clarification … you can chat with me on manish.pucsd@gmail.com .

Posted on December 29th, 2008

Anonymous says:

Good article, Like me most of the people doesn't know that NAV will be adjusted whenever they get dividend.

Is there any chance to get more returns when we choose re-investment option, because we will have more units than rest options.

Please answer.

Posted on May 31st, 2009

Manish Chauhan says:

you are correct that most people do not understand the working of how divident , growth or dividend reinvestment options work .

I dont see any case when dividend reinvestment options will help in capital appreciation , because its ultimately depends on the growth of investment . The final value for you is still

number of units X NAV .

So if i have 100 units of NAV 100 and you have 80 units of NAV 125 , we both have value of investment as 10,000 . and now if mutual funds investments go up by 50% . the total value of our investments will also go by 5,000 .

The only disadvantage in case of div reinvestmnet is that if its an ELSS fund , your reinvestment money will again be locked in for another 3 yrs and you will have to pay the brokerage for that part .

Posted on May 31st, 2009

Anu says:

Hi manish, Again an excellent article.. a big salute to u (in Mitun Da's style from Dance india Dance)
I wish more people read this blog and get educated. I never new the difference between all the 3. Sorry manish again the same topic bcoz i could not understand… I have SIP thru HDFC bank. So for example if i have relinace fund in this case… 1. i will contact relinace fund house 2. will give my folio number 3. ask them to deduct it directly from my HDFC accoutn 4. and initially make a defalt payment with HDFC in order to stop the payment thru them. Pls corrent me if i am wrong. Also my SIPs are 5 months old as of today.

Thanks in advance for ur reply.

Love the new look of ur blog.

Posted on June 11th, 2009

@Anu

Nice to hear from you after so many days , I thought i lost on reader because I was not seeing your comments :)

HDFC Bank is just another agent for mutual funds . If you have a demat account with them . There are two ways for you to buy the mutual fund .

1. Directly from HDFC Bank account (login to your trading account , you must have the option of buying the MF there , I have it in icici direct ), you will have to pay 2.25% here , but it will be too comfortable …

2. Directly go to there AMC (not Bank) and then fill the form yourself and give details of your Bank account .

Hope this will help :)

Posted on June 11th, 2009

Kitt says:

Hi Manish, just needed your opinion to my problem.

I have invested in the dividend plan and dont need any regular income and now would like to switch to the growth plan in the same fund.

Doing so, would there be a reduction in value in my investment ??

Do u recommend that i switch over or just continue the dividend plan ??

Thanks and keep posting, u r doing a fab job.

Btw, do u know any website where i can download in excel format ALL the Nav's ??

Posted on June 15th, 2009

@kitt

Its not possible to switch from dividend to growth like that , you will have to sell your mutual funds and then again buy it with growth option .

this will make sense only when you are investing in it for long term , if its just 1-2 yrs , then no point in that .

If you are doing it for long term , this will be a good time , as bear market phase is "almost" over and we may be looking for another bull run .

http://mutualfundsindia.com/nav_home.asp is one place you get all the NAV , i am not sure one place which provides all NAV in list , if you come to know , please let me know :)

Did i answer you ?

Posted on June 15th, 2009

Kitt says:

I m aware that i will have to see and buy the units and i did some calculations which showed that i wouldnt loose any units but just needed your opinion too.

I invested some 3 yrs back on the dividend plan but now after realising that i do not need any income, i now decided to switch to dividend plan.

I agree that the bull is around the corner esp. after the budget but i personally dont see this going for a long term. I believe that the market would continue to rise till next year and then again we are gonna see a major major downturn, Mark my words.

Look fwd to hear from u.

this link provides all the navs on one page but its a tedious process to copy and then paste it in excel.

Posted on June 15th, 2009

@kitt

hey .. i have uploaded downloaded all the NAV in excel sheet and put the link on the main blog page , see just above the first title . May be you dont knwo the external link feature of excel sheets , you can just give the url of the link and it will fetch all the data from the url . explore it .

Regarding the bull run , I dont want to comment a lot on it, because its too tough to do that and i want to be honest about it .

Markets are wierd and we have to accept and be with it. the best thing is to be with it .

If it goes up BUY , if it goes down SELL . thats it :)

Posted on June 15th, 2009

Sachin says:

Thanks a lot for putting this info in simple manner :-)

Might be very basic, but since I am new to this and willing to invest in my first MF:
How can I contact the fund house to save entry load? I have Sharekhan a/c, but they will charge 2.5%.
If I have already decided which MF to go for, what advice comes into picture from the agent?
What are other factors while going for agent against fund house.
Sorry if its too obvious…

Any comment on Reliance Infra fund?

Thanks again,
-Sachin

Posted on June 18th, 2009

@Sachin

Nice to know that you are atleast concerned about this and thinking about this , Nice

Your timing could not be more perfect. Just today SEBI has scraped the entry load charged by mutual funds . So now Mutual funds cant charge entry load , so all your Rs 100 invested with them will get invested .

However , you will have to pay the agents or any other distributor like your ShareKhan as much you like . It means that it will be decided by you .

This means that There will be more competition in the market for distribution for mutual funds and hence low charges accepted by agents .

You can not accept that investing in mutual funds will be free, but unlike 2.25% paid earliar , now you can expect to pay .5 – 1% . Which is a good news :)

btw, are you my roommate Sachin ;)

Posted on June 18th, 2009

Sachin says:

Thanks!
I had just read the news in newspaper and was wondering the same :-)

Any inputs on Reliance Infra?

No, my roommate is not Manish ;-)
I am in Pune :-)

Posted on June 18th, 2009

@Sachin

You can go through this one first to understand about NFO's . Read more about the fund on some other websites .

Posted on June 18th, 2009

Anonymous says:

In growth option there is always risk of market fluctuation where as in divided option the same is not there.

SO we have to plan accordingly

Posted on July 19th, 2009

@Anaonymous

I am just wondering what is the basis of your statement . Why do you think so ?

Mutual funds (growth or dividend) are dependent on markets . Marekts fluctuations will affect both in same way . Growth and Dividend option differ only in the way they distribute the returns ,Growth option retains it , while dividend one gives it back to investors . Thats all .

I would love to hear from you on this , may be you have something new for me :)

Posted on July 19th, 2009

Anonymous says:

You may be right in Div option, but there is one part missing.

After the div is paid, the NAV goes down, BUT when the market appreciates and the NAV goes up you do benefit as now you have more Units because you re-invested the Div or may be you just took the cheque and hence the div yield becomes better.
So after the NAV goes up you DO benefit from Div option.
YOur assumption is that the NAV remains the same. But it doesn't it may go up or down, but in longer term it does go up and you do benefit.
If that was the case then they wouldn't have put that option.

Posted on October 17th, 2009

sudarsan says:

really helpful information and worth knowing technical analysis with layman language

really iam very thankful.

Posted on December 4th, 2009

manish says:

@Anonymous

Thats not true .. Can you give me an example of how one will gain with dividend option , compare it with Growth option ?

Posted on December 4th, 2009

manish says:

So would you like to read more on mutual funds or other topics :)

Posted on December 4th, 2009

Balbir says:

Is it advisable to buy the MF using my online trading plateform (SBI CAP SEC)?
I may have to pay 0.5% everytime I buy or sell. Does one can buy MF with SIP
using the online trading plateform ?

Balbir

Posted on December 24th, 2009

manish says:

Yes , you can

Buying MF with SIP should be provided by your MF online account . ask them .
You can save your .5% if you go manually for everything .. go to their AMC office .

Posted on December 24th, 2009

Nikhil says:

Hi manish

I am new to MF and just invested in my first MF – HDFC Tax Saver through my Citibank investment account – a lumpsum amount of Rs 5000. They charged me 2% as transaction fee. Now if I want to buy more units, would they charge me 2% each time I buy a unit ?
If yes, is it worth it? Or should I directly invest through fund house?
Nikhil

Posted on January 13th, 2010

Nikhil

Yes , they will charge for each payment . its their commision which they will take each time . You can look for direct investing through fund house . that will be free but litle work .

What other funds you like ? Do you invest in direct equity ? BEtter get a good brokerage house like ICICI .

Posted on January 13th, 2010

Nikhil says:

Thanks Manish for the info. Another question, now since I have my folio no. after investing thro Citibank, can I just use that to direct invest through the fund house? If yes, can I do that online somehow? I tried going to HDFC website but they are also asking for a HPIN along with the Folio no. but I don’t have that? How do I work around it?

I also like ICICI and thinking of Can Robeco.

Also what do you mean by a good brokerage house like ICICI? Does that mean ICICI? Won’t they also charge like citibank?

Posted on January 14th, 2010

manish says:

Nikhil

You should be able to invest online through their website if you have folio number . but i have to figure out how ?

ICICI Direct charges little high brokerage but i like its interface .

Posted on January 14th, 2010

Nikhil says:

Thanks Manish. Please let me know of the way to invest online directly whenever you find it.

Posted on January 16th, 2010

manish says:

Nikhil

Why dont you try this yourself . Go to their website and try out things . Ask the company how to do that . I am sure waiting on me is not a good idea because it can delayed a lot .

Posted on January 16th, 2010

Gowri says:

Documenting it here so others can benefit. HDFC Bank does not charge anything to buy mutual funds online if you have savings account with them. They only charge 100Rs quarterly fees for the investment account. This would be a better option than paying 2% charges with Citibank.

Gowri

Posted on January 19th, 2010

Akhil says:

First of thanks for helping investors of today with understanding the different jargon used by financial market to lure them into investment mode. But on this point correct me if I am wrong. I read somewhere SEBI asked fund house to stop collecting entry load where else exit load of 2.25% is applicable along with 2.5% of recurring charges. But as I have seen you mention so many time here in this article exit load is not applicable but entry load of 2.25% will if you go by agent… hmm now I am confuse… is it entry load or exit load which one is applicable and which one is not??

Also one benefits of dividends could be you can reinvest again the amount and claim tax benefits under section 80C.. what your take on that…

Akhil

Posted on January 21st, 2010

Akhil

This is an old post written before the ban on entry load rule came in , so thats why you are confused :) .

Regarding dividend re investing , the problem is very simple , the money will again be locked for 3 yrs from that date .. so its the trade off between getting tax benefit and locking it again for 3 yrs . if one is ok with it , then he should go with it . Not an issue :)

Posted on January 21st, 2010

Akhil says:

Lol you manipulating my future clients with all this disclosure… damn!! :p

Well Yes but if you entered one month before company announce dividend… You won’t mind reinvesting it do you :)

Posted on January 22nd, 2010

manish says:

Akhil

First month just before the dividend is a rare case :) . thats granted :)

tip: while replying press on “reply” button and then reply , that way the conversation would be threaded and easy to follow :)

Posted on January 22nd, 2010

Tarun says:

This is tarun. I have two days back invested in two equity funds – HDFC tax saver 15,000/ – & Sundaram BP Paridas Tax Saver 10,000 Rs. My age is 25 Yrs. I m confused. Kindly suggest should i go for growth or dividend option. Pl suggest.

Tarun.

Posted on January 25th, 2010

manish says:

Tarun

You already know the pros and cons of both options .. you are in a better position to decide compared to me . But the thumb rule is that if its a long term investment and you are mainly not looking for any partial liquidity , better go with growth option .

Posted on January 28th, 2010

manish says:

Gowri

that 100 rs a quarter is what they are charging :) . So in case one is investing more than 10000 in 3 month , it would turn out to be 1% charge for him , which is ok . and this is what an average investor invests .. for someone who is investing a large amount like 10-20k per month , HDFC would be a great choice .. but if someone who is investing a small amount like 1000 per month , HDFC is a bad choice .. in that case ICICI would work better,.

Posted on January 28th, 2010

Top 10 tricks used by agents to mis sell the products to public says:

[...] This is very common tactic used by agents. Even the mutual fund companies advertise about big dividend payout to lure investors. Investors who do not how mutual funds with dividend options work fall in the trap thinking that dividend is something extra which they get apart from growth , where as the reality is that dividend is your own money which comes back to you and then NAV goes down by that much quanity . Have a look at Difference between Growth and Dividend option in Mutual funds [...]

Posted on February 7th, 2010

Kalyan says:

I Understood the difference between Growth and Dividend Re-Invest..

Could you explain which is benificial growth/dividend-R,
how to choose between these two.

Posted on February 9th, 2010

Kalyan

You must have got the whole info in the article itself , however the general rule is that if you are investing for long term , you should invest in Growth option . Incase you want to get regular pocket money in form of dividends then buy dividend option . Re-investment option does not makes anysense to me atleast before the new tax code . After it comes into picture it might be beneficial .

Posted on February 9th, 2010

Akhil says:

Manish since I have limited knowledge of MF’s…. Please help me understand, How is Growth option is better then divedend?

Correct me if I am wrong… As per the discussion here I understand, Let see if i invest 100 Rs and bought 10 units of Rs 10 in dividend paying fund and company pay out a dividend, say 20%…. it means company will give me 20 Rs… but simultaneously my nav would fall down by same percentage and it will become 8 now….

But Manish Number of units still 10…. how actually its going to affect me… since still number of units intact in my account and if fund performed decently again the nav reach to its original position or may be more… I am still benefited out of that. so dividend which I got earlier is nothing but some kind of bonus for me… which sound good to me…

Please explain what’s the funda in it…

Posted on February 26th, 2010

Akhil

So you get dividend of Rs 20 and then your NAV value is Rs 8 . now in some days say the NAV goes back to 10 . You say that this Rs 2 is your extra bonus , but what about the time it took to reach from 8 to 10 . In this case fund has gained 25% to reach from 8 to 10 . total = 2 + 10 = Rs 12 .

Now take case of Growth option . here you wont get dividend , now in comparision with dividend option , during the same time this fund also perfroms equal and goes up by 25% , so in this fund you value would be 12.5 at the end of same period .

total = 12.5 , loss of .5 , which is nothing but the amount of 25% of Rs 2 which did not grow because it was in cash in your hand .

Got it?

Posted on February 26th, 2010

Akhil says:

Yeah I got it thanks manish :) but divdend option not bad if somebody is not looking looking corpus generation but regular income. what you say…..

Hey one more thing on above illustrated example…I don’t know it’s mistake or what… but if you see second year, In case B (dividend) Net worth is calculated taking into consideration the the Final Nav after adjusting dividend. But in third year Nav before adjustment is taking into consideration for determining Networth why that???

Posted on February 26th, 2010

Akhil

Yes , NO option is bad or good , its about situation .

Regarding the problem are you seeing in the example , its a typo , my mistake :)

Posted on March 1st, 2010

Akhil says:

Finaly! gotch ya.. :)… by the way manish .. which one is mistake… we should consider final nav or nav before adjustment??

Posted on March 4th, 2010

Final NAV

Posted on March 5th, 2010

Suresh says:

is there a component of dividend distribution tax which the mf pays & which also affects the nav?

Posted on June 13th, 2010

Suresh

Yup , DDT is applicable for dividends declared on Debt Mutual funds , so You get less in your hand :)

Posted on June 13th, 2010

N.Pralhad says:

If I invest in MIP Growth and apply for SWP does the dividient distribution or any other tax is applicable ?

Posted on January 21st, 2011

Manish Chauhan says:

I have clearly mentioned in the article on MIP : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2011/01/monthly-income-plans.html

If you use a bit of strategy, you can create a more stable and more tax efficient income by this method. You can choose growth option in MIP and after 1 yr you can start a SWP (systematic withdrawal plan , opposite of SIP) from your MIP to your bank account . What will happen with this option is that you will not have to depend on companies dividend announcement , as its your decision to liquidate a fixed part of your MIP’s, sell it and get the money in you bank account . Also as you are doing it after 1 yr, there wont be any exit load and the profits you get out of it would be Long term capital gains , so you only pay 10% on the profits (assuming you don’t want indexation benefits) , which is 4% lesser than the dividend distribution tax . If you have a large amount of investments in MIPs, then this option can save some tax for you, but if your investments aren’t significant enough, it’s not worth the hassle .

Posted on January 21st, 2011

NewInvestor says:

First, I would like to thank Manish for teaching this very important topic in such a simple language.
Would you suggest to use MIPs (Growth Option) as a long term investment to create a corpus and is it possible to switch to dividend option then, so that this can be used as an alternative to Pension plans ?

Posted on January 21st, 2011

Investor

If you are investing for long term , then better use equity mutual funds and not debt oriented mutual funds

Posted on January 21st, 2011

NewInvestor says:

In one of your replies you had mentioned that switching to growth option from dividend option is not possible.
Is the reverse possible ? I mean from growth option to dividend option?

Posted on January 22nd, 2011

NewInvestor

I guess there is an option to switch from growth to dividend and vice versa . http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/switch-from-div-reinvest-to-growth-option-of-mf/730/

Posted on January 22nd, 2011

Shrenik K Jain says:

Hi Manish, thnx for informative details.

As mentioned by you in case of third option i.e. Divident reinvested, divident amount is reinvested to buy additional units.

Normally divident distribution tax (DDT) is paid by MF company for distributed divident. Can you pls clairfy in case of Divident reinvested option -DDT is paid by company and then remaining amount is used to buy additional units or no DDT is appicable in such cases.

Posted on January 22nd, 2011

Shrenik

Yes ,DDT is paid in dividend reinvestment option just like dividend Payout option ,just that in this case , we dont get it in hand , but its reinvested

Posted on January 22nd, 2011

Madhu says:

Thanks Manish for the article.

Posted on April 14th, 2011

Dr Adesh says:

very very informative article..too good.
Manish i want to know..
1) Whether i should go for SWP option in balanced equity mutual funds or leave it as such?
2) Whether Monthly Income Plan is good compared to equity oriented mutual funds?
3) Its easy to buy MFs because agents are available who will help 2 study d fund..but how can we buy stocks for example India bulls Security stock?
Your response is highly regarded…!!

Posted on April 17th, 2011

Dr Adhes

1. SWP is just opposite of SIP , so you can use it only if you want the money ? So question boils down to “Do you really need money in coming times” ? . If yes, then go for SWP

2. MIP are debt products , how do you compare it to equity funds ?

3. I am not sure what you want to know here ? You require a demat account to buy stock ,but if you dont have much knowledge and time to track ,better stick to mf only

Posted on April 17th, 2011

Dr Adesh says:

Thanks manish,
your answers are so precise..i got all my 3 queries sloved.
*I don’t need money immediate..so i will not opt for SWP.
*Growth in MIP is less as it is debt product.
*I will get Demat account opened.
thank u so much in guiding..as i am yet learning these basics..your advice will go a long way in helping me..
thanks .God bless you.

Posted on April 17th, 2011

Kiran B says:

Very good article.

I had invested in FI blue chip through an agent during 2007. i got to know now that i will have to pay the entry load.

What is this entry load? when will I need to pay this and how does this get deducted?

Thanks in advance

Kiran B

Posted on May 23rd, 2011

Sumeet says:

In the above mentioned comparision of G and D options,if at the end of 4th year I have to withdraw my money for some need, and market goes down and say,the G option NAV goes down to 80 and D option NAV to 70,I will lose my money in both,but in case of D option,I will have got some money back.But in G option i am at total loss.In G option I will not get the benifit that the NAV once reached 420.

Posted on May 27th, 2011

Dipesh says:

I have one doubt. I always thinks that dividend payout is better option than growth since in the latter you have to exit at the right time. However, in the former every year you are booking partial profit which can be reinvested if one wants. However, in the growth option if suppose you need sudden cash and market is in bear phase you are trapped. Whats your opinion???

Posted on June 2nd, 2011

Brijmohan says:

While investing in MF I have selected dividend reinvestment option.
Require your comment whether dividend reinvestment option or growth is better?

Posted on June 8th, 2011

alka says:

Very good information explained in simple way so that a layman could understand easily.

thanks a lot

Posted on September 20th, 2011

Kiran

Its deducted from your money and rest is invested ,you dont have to pay it seperately

Posted on September 22nd, 2011

Dipesh

the dividend money is not so huge that you can call it partial withdrawal . Its a very small portion .. also you are looking at one side , what if markets are just going up and up only , in that case growth option would be better .

So dont look at it that way

Posted on September 22nd, 2011

Brij mohan

Its clear in the article .. What is your doubt

Posted on September 22nd, 2011

Alka

Good to hear that you liked it

Posted on September 22nd, 2011

DJ says:

This is my 1st comment on JagoInvestor. Once again very informative article on MF. Being regular reader of your articles from last month, got wealth of info on Personal Finance in layman’s language.
Ur social service in educating commans is much much appreciated..!!
I have a doubt to clear in MF. Since i am new to MF investments this may seem too basic :-)
Can i invest in a MF with Growth option with some amt. as lumpsum (say Rs 50000) & let that amount get appreciated with compunding effect for long term(say 15 yrs or so)?
I saw in valueresearchonline website for DSPBR Top 100 Eqt Reg-G, in ‘Fund Details’ tab under ‘Payout’ heading, Reinvestment as ‘No’. Wht that means?
are they saying tht Dividend Reinvestment option is not available?

Thanks in advance for ur reply.
keep up good work.

DJ

Posted on December 5th, 2011

DJ says:

many thanks for ur quick reply.

My doubt is not clear for the following, please help..
Can i invest in a MF with Growth option with some amt. as lumpsum (say Rs 50000) only once & let that amount get appreciated with compunding effect for long term(say 15 yrs or so)?
Actually instead of keeping this money in bank FD(i dont need this in near future), i wish to keep it in some good equity MF for long term.
Does MF have any restriction on this or i must invest every year Rs 50000?

Posted on December 5th, 2011

DJ

there is no restriction like that. you can invest one time and let it grow

Posted on December 5th, 2011

DJ says:

thanks for the reply.

Just to clear a doubt.
In valueresearchonline if u see for ‘DSPBR Top 100 Eqt Reg-G’
in ‘Performance’ tab there r two headings.
Trailing Returns & Annual Returns.
In ‘Trailing returns’ for Fund Return column, for 1 yr it shows -11.89%, 2 yr shows 1.52%.
Does this mean if a person invest in Jan 2010 till dec 2011 now, his overall returns on investment for these 2 yrs r only 1.52%?
& in ‘Annual Returns’ heading for yr 2010 Fund Return is 16.80%.
so 16.80% – 11.89% = 4.91%
it doesn’t match with 1.52% over 2 yrs.
How is tht?
can u plz explain.

many thanks.
DJ

Posted on December 5th, 2011

DJ

yearly return means the annual performance from Jan – Dec .. but trailing annual return means 1 yr from NOW , so if today is Nov 6 , 2011 .. the trailing return for 1 yr is exactly 365 days back from today . thats Dec 5 2010 – Dec 5, 2011

Posted on December 6th, 2011

deepak sati says:

Sir I am a student I want to invest in mutual fund and want to earn income for future so please give me all details about how I can invest in mutual fund and returns rate of different mutual fund companies.

Posted on October 3rd, 2012

Deepak

You can invest in a mutual fund through an agent or directly , and there is no fixed return in mutual funds, its always dependent on stock markets

Posted on October 4th, 2012

Deepak

Posted on October 4th, 2012

Tushar says:

I am 22, proly will call myself a newbie in this field. I wish to invest in ELSS in order to get Tax exemption under section 80 C. I have a budget of 75K to invest what would be the best scenario for me. Going for a 100% ELSS (Growth) or any other ratio which means (G & E) both or something totally different

Posted on October 23rd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

You just just invest all 75k in any ELSS , like HDFC tax Saver !

Posted on October 24th, 2012

Manish says:

Very well written . And enjoyed the article reading.
Keep it up Dude.

Posted on November 9th, 2012

Posted on November 12th, 2012

Dinesh G says:

I have a question. what needs to be done if I don’t want to continue for MF where I have invested for 3 months ? Can I simply avoid investing during the tenure considered ? Can I withdraw/redeem the money invested (of 3 months) after 1 year ?

your input would be highly appreciated..

Dinesh

Posted on December 11th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes why not . If you have started a SIP , then you can stop it after 6 months ! .. any time !

Posted on December 11th, 2012

Dinesh G says:

thanks for your reply. Is it mandatory to continue for at least 6 month for SIP ?

Can I withdraw/redeem the money invested (of 3 months) after 1 year for dividend MF ?

Kindly reply.

Dinesh

Posted on December 11th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, 6 months of SIP is required ,after which you can stop . Note that you can withdraw redeem the units after 6 montsh any time. Infact you can do it even before 6 months, just that in that case some penalty will be there !

Posted on December 11th, 2012

Sharath Mascarenhas says:

Tushar,

You are best getting a financial plan done. A good financial planner can give you a better idea on the various goals you need to plan for & how you could use funds parked for tax saving as a retirement tool.

Alternatively, if it’s just tax saving you are looking for, I’d recommend you investing the ELSS option through the SIP route. You could google to know more on pros & cons of investing in SIPs

Sharath Mascarenhas

Posted on December 31st, 2012

Sharath Mascarenhas says:

Deepak,

For fund performances you could use any of the below websites

Both these websites have got a learning section on mutual fund.

It’s a good thing that you are considering to invest at tender age. Considering investing through the SIP route. Stay disciplined & in about 5-7 years you’ll be quite proud of yourself

Sharath Mascarenhas

Posted on December 31st, 2012

Sharath Mascarenhas says:

DJ,

I know it’s been sometime since you’ve posted this question & I’m assuming you’ve become much smarter since.

However, I thought this comment might help.
Before investing, always ask yourself questions like how long do you intend to hold this investment? What kind of returns am I looking for? What is my exit strategy? Do I have a plan B in case the initial plan fails?

Asking these questions to your self will ensure that your better prepared for different market conditions.

Sharath Mascarenhas

Posted on December 31st, 2012

SAGARIKA says:

I want to invest in Mutual Fund .Could you please suggest which mutual fund will be the best for investing now.I want to invest small amount.

Posted on January 10th, 2013

subhash says:

SIP has no mandatory period. You can stop it any time. Withdrawal/redemption is allowed subject to exit load as per terms.

Posted on January 13th, 2013

Money Matters For Women says:

Check the Exit load in your SIP. Can stop investments anytime. However, it’s better to invest in MFs for long term. Equity Exposure is beneficial only if you stay invested for atleast 10 years.

Posted on February 25th, 2013

radhe says:

Kindly say
How did you get Rs 2,84,000 in the third year in Mutual Fund B.

Posted on April 6th, 2013

radhe says:

If I subtract ((Rs 20,000 , Rs 30,000 and Rs 40,000)all the dividends) from
Rs 4,20,000 of Mutual Fund A than it comes to Rs.3,30,000. Why there is shortage of Rs34,000 .. So that it can become Rs3,74,000.

Posted on April 6th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

BEcause the NAV last year was 142 and then there was a return of 100% . so it doubled

Posted on April 12th, 2013

aarya says:

WHICH IS BETTER FOR THIS
1) DIVIDEND REINVEST
or
2) Direct Growth

Posted on April 30th, 2013

ravisankar says:

i have taken a sip . and amount is deducted from account automatically . can i buy some more units by transferring amount . is it possible .. please reply me ..
thanks in advance.
Ravisankar.v

Posted on May 1st, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, you can buy more units directly

Posted on May 6th, 2013

Direct Growth

Posted on May 6th, 2013

aarya says:

is these are good choices
canara robeco tax fund, reliance tax saver, icici tax saver???

Posted on May 6th, 2013

Posted on May 6th, 2013

aarya says:

thanks man

Posted on May 6th, 2013

ravisankar says:

which one is better either direct plan or regular plan in mutual fund

Posted on May 7th, 2013

see this http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2013/04/direct-plan-in-mutual-funds.html

Posted on May 10th, 2013

Chetan Ambi says:

Manish, you have very clearly explained the difference between Growth, Dividend and Dividend re-investment option of mutual funds investing. Tnx for this article !!

Posted on October 17th, 2013

Welcome

Posted on October 18th, 2013

Rajashree says:

This comes with a rider that I am completely an amateur in MF investments but one thing that is coming to my mind here is – assuming that at the end of 3 years if you were to withdraw from the MF, for Growth you will get INR 4,20,000 and for Dividend you get INR 3,74,000. But will I be wrong to assume that for the Dividend option besides 3,74,00 that you will get at the end of 3 years, you would have already got a cash payout of 90k (20,000+40,000+30,000) for the 3 years. So going by this your overall gain for Dividend at the end of 3 years would be 3,74,00 + 90,000 = 4,64,000 which anyday is greater than the growth option payout of 4,20,000.
So can I assume that Dividend option is actually a gainer?

Posted on November 22nd, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, Dividend option will give you other yearly payment , In this example , may be dividend option is higher, but in general growth option is higher !

Posted on November 23rd, 2013