Check your Income tax refund status online & Learn how to use RTI

by Manish Chauhan · 175 comments

Do you have any idea about your income tax refund status ? Have you filed your Income tax return long back, but have no idea when will you get your tax fund ? This is one issue faced by millions of tax payers in India. They file a income tax return where they claim back their income tax refund, but have no idea what happens to their cases after that!.

For months and years, they keep waiting for the refund status, but they have no idea when they will get their money back. Ideally they should get it back in few months, but in many cases they wait for as long as 3-4 yrs. In this article, we will see how you can find out your income tax refund status online and how you can use RTI application to find out the status of your tax refund and speed up the process of getting it back.

How to find income tax refund status online

If you have filed income tax return asking for your tax refund, and you have no clue about the current status, the first thing you do is track it’s status online. All you need is your PAN number and assessment year for which you have applied for refund. Here is what you need to do

Income Tax Refund Status Online

You can also track your income tax refund status by contacting the help desk of SBI at 080-26599760 or contacting the Aaykar Sampark Kendra at 0124 2438000

File RTI application for income tax refund status

If you are not able to do much and you feel that just finding out online status is not helping you and you want to now get 100% clarity about your tax refund status, the next step is to file RTI application against income tax department. We have earlier seen how one can use RTI to find EPF withdrawal or transfer status and how their issues were solved within weeks and months of filing a RTI against EPFO. So your next step is to file RTI in your tax refund case also. but you should wait for at least a year before you file for RTI against the income tax department.

Note that the RTI application has to be addressed to CPIO officer. Now the next question is how to find out the CPIO information. Its actually not organised in a clean manner, but you need to start by going to this website and then on that page you need to choose your state (your jurisdiction) from the drop down and click on “go.” It will take you to the next page where you need to click on “CPIO/CAPIO” and play around to find out the exact place where they have dumped all that information. Below you can find a RTI template which you can use .

Download this RTI template for income tax refund

What should you ask while filing RTI

  • You should ask for name and designation of the officer who is supposed to process your income tax refund claim
  • Also ask for the officer official address and his contact number
  • Also ask for how long the refund is pending with the officer and the reason for the delay
  • Ask if some senior authority has instructed for delay and the certified copies if any
  • Also ask for the name, telephone number and address of the higher officer with whom you can file the first appeal

These above mentioned 5 things if asked in RTI, will be enough to move the earth below the concerned authorities feet and they might act faster on your case, because in most of the cases there are no valid reasons for delay. The delay is created just because of lethargy and at times in expectation that someone will visit them and bribe them to process the request!. Note that only the concerned person can file the RTI, no one else on his behalf can file it. In case you have tax refund for different years, better file separate RTIs for each. Do not mix them into one.

Tips while filing for Income Tax Refund

There are few well known mistakes people do while filing returns, because of which income tax refund delays happen. Lets see those points and make sure you dont do them.

1.Make sure your give permanent Address

A lot of salaried people who live on rent, give their present temporary addresses while claiming tax refund, and when after 1-2 years their tax refund cheque arrives, in many cases the person has moved out of the current location. This causes the cheque to return back and the person is not there on the given address. So make sure you always give the permanent address where you or your family lives and there is almost no chances of cheque returning back.

2. Give accurate Account Details, IFSC code 

There has been cases where the account number given was inaccurate by 1-2 digits or the IFSC code was wrong, and that created the problem. This small thing can result in lot of frustration later, so double-triple check these details.

3. Try to do E-filing of your tax returns, if possible 

As far as possible, try to file your income tax returns online  and apply for tax refund, because the tax refund is much faster if e-filing was done. In case you are filing offline manually, make sure you fill form 30, contact your CA if you want to delegate this totally to someone else!


If you have been waiting for your tax refund from years, its the time to file a RTI application for it and find out why your income tax refund has been delayed for so long.

Subscribe via RSS or Email:
What do you want to read about
Mutual Funds Life Insurance BankingHealth Insurance Credit Report and ScoreMost Commented ArticleReal Life Experiences Share MarketLoans Real Estate Income TaxCredit Cards For Begineer Investors Succession Laws EPF ULIP Product ReviewsBest of Jagoinvestor Other Products & Concepts How-TO GuidesBooks, Launches, Initiatives Investors Myths Psychology & Wisdom PPF General

{ 175 comments… read them below or add one }

1 RD January 14, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Read your article and checked my refund status online and to my surprise got the status “Refund cheque dispatched by speed post ” :) .
While filing claim i had opted for Online transfer but they issued check :(.
Now i am not sure which address they have dispatched the check. My current address or address present on Pan Card. How can i get info regarding address? Any idea.


2 Mihir Naik January 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

They will send it on your PAN Card address.


3 RD January 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Thanks Mihir,
Is there any way to know the Pan card address. I am not sure abt my pan card address.


4 Manish Chauhan January 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

One simple way is to use RTI and ask them whats the address. Do you remember where did your PAN card come ? I mean which address ? Your family members might remember !


5 RD January 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hi Manish,
Finally i came to know that I had used My SBI passbook as proof to get the PAN card but its my previous address [rented].
I had also enuired abt the dispatched address with few friends and also googled and came to know that generally refund check is sent to Address you have mentioned on ITR-V from. If its true then i dont need to worry :) as i have put my current add in the form.


6 RD January 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Actually I had asked mt friend who helped me in getting PAN card (long ago). He told me that pan card address is address on your SBI passbook.


7 Manish Chauhan January 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Ok , yea .. it will be sent to your address which you had mentioned in the form


8 sandhu January 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm


address on the pan card can be found by looking at your form 26AS.

refund is sent on the address you write on your IT return

it is better to update address on PAN card, as in future, your banks are going to despatch TDS info on your pan address.



9 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for that information :)


10 Sreekumar Menon January 15, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks for the article, very useful.

I work outside India (in US) and have not filed tax returns in India for the past 6 years , ever since I came to US. Does NRI need to file tax returns in India ?



11 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

You need to file it only if you have any income source in india above the taxable limits !


12 smitha January 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Not just when one has income exceeding the limit, but also to claim TDS deducted on deposits when one’s income does not exceed the taxable limit. I do that every year, but this year proved a hard nut.


13 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

Yes, even in that case ! ..


14 Deepak FCA April 7, 2013 at 5:52 pm

If u need any help, I deal with the returns filing and TDS refunds of quite a few NRI’s. It is not so tough to get your refunds if your TDS is showing against your PAN in form 26AS.


15 Srinivas January 15, 2013 at 4:35 am

I used income tax ombudsman for getting two previous year claims last year. It also works.

In RTI one can ask for info. Through ombudsman one can ask for action.

Good article, Manish.


16 Shailesh January 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm


What were the steps you followed to get the IT refund using income tax ombudsman


17 Srinivas January 16, 2013 at 7:27 am

Before filing a compliant with ombudsman, it is required to approach you AO with your request. If not ombudsman will direct you for this.

In my case, two refunds(for 2008-09 and 2009-10) were pending. 2008-09 refund was more than 1 year old and the next one is about 8 months.

I sent a courier with letter and my return ITR V to the concerned AO((actually to the IT office, superscibing with circle details and mentioning that it is for return claim on the envelope). After 1 month, i repeated and kept the POD for both. After that, i forwarded my letter to ombudsman along with these copies.

It took about 2-3 months. But both the times AO’s called me to the office checked the papers(both the times, the refund was more than 10000) and refunded the money. In their letter both referred to ombudsman inquiry.

At the end, they sent a closure letter to ombudsman and ombudsman sent me a letter closing my request. It took time, but i could get the money with interest.

Interestingly the interest on the refund amount is taxable in the year of refund.


18 Sudha May 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Hi Manish, Really informative article!

Hi Srinivas – How do i find the AO (because you had mentioned about mailing him the details first- before going to the Ombudsman)? I had filed my returns in Chennai


19 Prahlad Maurya April 29, 2013 at 9:03 pm

My IncomeTax Refund for the financial year 2011-2012 was not sent in my account as yet.Please help me.


20 Manish Chauhan May 6, 2013 at 5:39 pm

File a RTI


21 Niranjan Practicing CA May 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Filing an RTI is old solution, in today’s context if you have filed the return online all things related to efiling are required to be done through online request. All the request that an assessee puts on the income tax’s efiling site all are replied promptly or required actions are taken without delays. I would like all the people to consult a Chartered Accountant in their all taxation related querries. No one knows accounts and taxation better than a Chartered Accountant.


22 Manish Chauhan May 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this Niranjan

Yes, RTI should be considered as a last resort I would say .. Can you share more on those points which you said . How can one effectively communicate to Tax department if they are facing some issue like a Refund issue or lets say some query they have !


23 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thats great to know Srinivas !


24 Shrinivas January 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

I have filed an RTI with all the required details but still did not get any reply from the Income Tax dept even after a month. Then I have done the first appeal as well but still I did not get any reply on that as well.
Actually I have not received my income tax refund for AY 2007-08 (i.e. finantial Year 2006-2007)?
What do I need to do get my income tax refund.
I have gone through your article and have followed all the things as per the instrcutions. But still neither get refund nor a single reply from the income tax dept. Please suggest a solution for this.


25 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm

For first RTI you should have waited for 50-60 days .. there are cases where it comes in 50 days !


26 VIVEK KUMAR January 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Dear Manish,

Very informative post.


27 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thanks :)


28 Krish January 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

Useful artcile. Let me share my recent experience with the refund of AY 12-13.

My refund check for the AY 12-13 got returned undelivered due to address conflict. It was the same last year too and I could place refund reissue request through CPC, B’lore. This year seems different and refund reissue authority seems taken off from CPC.

When I called up, CPC informed me that I have to place the request through ITefiling website after log in. I then logged in and it asked ‘Refund Sequence number’ which I had no clue. Second call to CPC tells me that I should get intimation 143(1) from IT department which has all the details. But then I did not get 143(1). Third call to CPC to place the request for sending intimation 143(1). After 15 days and couple of follow up calls, it got sent to my email id.

Armed with all the required details, I again logged into IT website for refund reissue. While it accepts all the details, some system error crops up. Fourth call to CPC and they clarified that it is happening with some customers and issued complaint number and also told to wait for a week. After a week, I could place a refund reissue request online and opted for ECS option. This was yesterday and am not sure how many days it takes to transfer the refund to my bank account.


29 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing that experience Krish ! .. it was very helpful


30 RD January 16, 2013 at 12:19 pm

PAN card address should be updated one.
In case if you dont remember your PAN card address like me and want to know it right now then just register your self here (below given url) and you can know your PAN card address instantly + info abt all your returns + soft copy and many other things.


31 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for that info !


32 smitha January 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I used e-filing, but recently received email from Bangalore that my returns could not be processed. It appears some delay tactic. I’ll wait another month before I file RTI.

“The Income Tax Department- Centralized Processing Centre (ITD-CPC), Bangalore is not in a position to proceed with the e-return filed by you, details of which are indicated above. The return is transferred to Jurisdictional Assessing Officer (in AST) processing of which is to be done by the Jurisdictional Assessing
Officer who may be contacted for further clarifications if any.”


33 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 11:14 am

No idea on this .. let us know what happened in your case !


34 Sriram March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hi, this happens when your case has been picked up in CASS or there is some issue in your previous returns requiring a rectifictation. The AST handles rectification or old cases, so thats where you should bang your head now.


35 Ashish Garg January 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Hi Smitha,

It had happened to me for the last two consecutive years. I don’t know what to do. Their communication has asked me to contact the Assessment Officer, who I don’t know is available where. Having the code of AO is not enough and need to have his contact details to sort this out.

Please do let me know if you make any progress in your situation.


36 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Did you try RTI ?


37 Ashish Garg January 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Thinking of doing that now. Hope to see some results.


38 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hope for the best :) ..


39 venkat srinivas January 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

HI Sir,

I paid my taxes of 2010 year. the website you mentioned is giving my status as cheque returned back. I gave a request letter asking them to credit it to my online account. But the same was not done. I don’t know how to proceed and get my money. Please sugegst me on how to proceed. Thanks sir…..


40 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm

File the RTI now


41 vignesh January 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Hi manish

One of my friend got the below message

Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status…

He filed the returns on june 2012 , so shall he wait till coming june 2013 and then File RTI?

Pls suggest!!

By the by Great article!! I have sent the link for two or three collegauges !!



42 Income Tax January 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Manish for this very informative and useful article. Although I have been paying income tax for many years now and I was aware that one can check status of refund at tin website but I had no idea that we can also use RTI query to get a clearer picture of tax refund. Your tips on what one should ask for in the RTI query are also very good.


43 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Anita !


44 Mohan Rao March 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Hi Manish,

It is a very good article.

In my case I had to get refunds for years 2003-04 and 2005-06, when I inquired with AO, the status was showing as paid (no other details except dates) and asked me to verify the bank record. I have cross checked my bank statements, but the amount is not paid to me.

Can I get the details of how the money is paid and to which account (if paid not into my a/c) through RTI or through Ombudsman?



45 Manish Chauhan March 13, 2013 at 11:35 am

Better check it with help of RTI application !


46 Gaurav March 13, 2013 at 11:35 am

Hi Manish,

I got my refund after 5 years which I filled when I was in bangalore having account XXXXX.This account is closed.

I refund cheque income tax department mentioned this account number and when I ask in SBI bank to deposist this cheque in my current bank account they said this is not possible.

Now what I have to do?



47 Manish Chauhan March 13, 2013 at 11:48 am

Yes, but default they will issue it for the same bank account which is in their records . Now you will have to check with them through RTI what is the procedure if you want to get it reissued ? Tough year ahead for you !


48 Gaurav March 13, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Let me try following –

In case of any mistakes on the refund cheque delivered to you, the following should be done:

i) Send the original refund cheque to CMP, State Bank of India at SBIFAST 31, Mahal Industrial Estate, Off Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093, Phone Number: 18004259760, along with a letter informing the mistakes on the refund cheque.
ii) Send a copy of the letter along with a copy of the refund cheque to your Assessing Officer.
iii) Retain a copy of the letter and refund cheque with you.


49 Manish Chauhan March 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for sharing that .. have you followed these steps and it has worked for you ? Or someone whom you know ?


50 VIJAY March 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

i have filed a refund request for approx 25000 but have received an intimation from IT dept under section 245 of IT Act 1961 stating “the refund determined in this proceeding id being adjusted against the outstanding demands”

What does this mean?please help


51 Manish Chauhan March 27, 2013 at 11:51 am

Only with RTI you can ask exactly what does it mean .


52 Shubhendu March 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Hi Manish,

Nice Article. Thanks.
I have a question regarding my refunds claimed years back. A total of over Rs. 28K is refundable to me from my IT returns for AYs 2006-07, 05-06, 04-05 & 00-01. I have not received any of the cheques. The tin.nsdl page shows the same information for all those years (“Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker. If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.”).
Is it possible to get the refunds through the RTI process for those years? The AY 2000-01 is not even listed on the tin.nsdl site.

Meanwhile, I have received an arrear demand of Rs. 8000 for AY 2007-08, even though to my understanding nothing should be due. They have not given any details regarding why and by what calculation I owe anything. It was surprising to receive such a communication after so many years.

I was thinking if at all there is a claim on me, can’t I ask the IT dept. to adjust it against the unpaid refunds for the previous years?

Please let me know what you feel about this.



53 Manish Chauhan April 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

I think its high time you should file the RTI and clearly get answers to your questions .


54 Sumeet Sali April 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Very Informative, thanks Manish.
After procrastinating this task for many months, I did the same as stated above………RTI.

I am now confused exactly whom to address, meaning for Maharashtra-Mumbai region there are about 100+ CPIO and also ward/circle no. is not mentioned. I have filed the returns at Kalyan. But there is no mention of its office in the list.

Can I address it to any officer from the list?

Please give your inputs.


55 Manish Chauhan April 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

You should find out more about it from net. better open a thread on our forum to get directions –


56 Deepak April 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

I filed an RTI last Saturday and I got a call from my ITO by Tuesday. It happened in a span of 2 days! She looked somewhat terrified as well as irritated! She advised me not file a return from a location which is different from my PAN location which can cause unnecessary delay. I said I was not aware of it. She kept lamenting for 5 minutes before keeping the phone and said it will take at least one week to find out what happened to my refund! It seems the cheque got generated and sent to my permanent address. I confirmed with my parents and they hadn’t received it. Now she has a huge task to find out the cheque number, status etc etc from several dept. before she responds me! Felt proud of the act. You hardly have another to make the govt. officials work so promptly!
Hope I get my cheque along with the response draft!


57 Manish Chauhan April 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Good to hear that Deepak … Proud of you .. you took the effort and it paid off ! .. I will share this on our facebook wall


58 RAJMAL DAYAL April 30, 2013 at 1:32 pm

for how many last financial years ITR can be filed by an asseesse if he forgoton to file his ITR.
or, how many last financial year claim can be refund by the ITO.


59 Manish Chauhan May 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I guess 7 yrs !


60 Naqui May 14, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Hi Manish,

I do the same as you have mentioned on above how to know the status of IT refund but when I put my PAN and year of assessment year after submitting the information the message shows “A. Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
B. If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.
Here I am very much confused who is the Assessing Officer..??? and where I should contact him..???
Note: One year has been passed but I couldn’t get my refund till date..!! what should I do..???
Please give your’s input…!!


61 pravat kumar mishra May 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I do the same as you have mentioned on above how to know the status of IT refund but when I put my PAN and year of assessment year after submitting the information the message shows “A. Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
B. If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.
Here I am very much confused who is the Assessing Officer..??? and where I should contact him..???
Note: One year has been passed but I couldn’t get my refund till date..!! what should I do..???
Please give your’s input…!!


62 Manish Chauhan May 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I suggested writing a RTI now and get all the info , Only that would be authentic !


63 MUKESH May 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

how we can know my re fund the data is not web C A is not give me right answer sbi suggest me to call our CA.


64 Manish Chauhan May 25, 2013 at 5:26 pm

File a RTI


65 Ramesh Sharma May 31, 2013 at 11:35 am


I have been filing ITR for last 15+ years but many times I didnt get refund.
I followed up couple of times on each case but didnt get favorable response like fili missing, provide me affidavit etc. So Left as it is (it more than 5-10 year old case).
Just wanted to check before how long may i check with authorities about pending refund?Thanks,-ramesh


66 Manish Chauhan May 31, 2013 at 4:02 pm

If its so long, then only a CA will be able to help you now


67 kalpeshbhai rachchh June 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm

my i.t.refund sent by it dept.on 5-3-11 but return back from home closed, and thereafter many times i request but no body recd.refund so what is the solution for resend by refund . please note that the ITR-2 filled manualy at Rajkot ito.
if itr filled with online CPC then regarding refund i can telephonic talk with cpc?
what is the number? so i can inform the what is the problem in itr?
Thanking you


68 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

File a RTI now


69 Rohit Kumar June 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I requested for RTI file in which online or manual send.


70 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2013 at 11:55 am

What are you asking ?


71 MUKESH MOHAN PATHAK June 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm

sir, I returned the refund cheque no. 934814 dated- 04/06/2013 of Rs- 6390 for the year 2012-13 becoz my saving account no. is printed wrong. so it could not be cased. I filled my saving account no. 2684010011376 in income tax return. please correct my saving account and send it again. my pan no. is BGOPP1897B.


72 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2013 at 11:47 am

You should now file a RTI and find out from them what needs to be done next


73 MAYANKKUMAR August 15, 2013 at 6:07 pm




Mode of Payment Reference Number Status Date* Speed Post Ref. no
Refund cheque CMPS1529387 Incorrect A/C No – Refund voucher cancelled. The account number advised by the assessee to the ITD is not correct/ got changed. Contact your assessing officer for mofication in account number and fresh release of refund. Jun 18, 2013 EA740969021IN


74 sreedhar June 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Dear Manish ji,

For assessment year 12-13, my address was changed & the refund cheque has been returned to the IT department, as a result, i filed a Refund-ReIssue yesterday.
Any idea how long ( approx.) does it take to process and re-send the cheque back again to my new address?


75 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2013 at 11:38 am

These things can take a very long time, however the best thing here would be to file a RTI asking for status after 1-2 months .


76 MAYANKKUMAR August 15, 2013 at 6:09 pm



77 Nits June 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm

For More information you can refer to FAQ available NSDL site –


78 Manish Chauhan July 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for sharing that !


79 SWAPAN KUMAR DAS July 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

My tax(excess) has not yet been refunded for the FY 2011-12andAY 2012-13.but I came to know so many people has got the refund amount in time for above period.Will you please help a retired person to Arrange immediate refund.This is 3rd time request


80 Manish Chauhan July 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Please use RTI now !


81 MAYANKKUMAR August 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm



82 Praveen Kumar July 4, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Last month, june 2013, I got a demand notice to pay pending tax amounting to 22440 from cpc Bangalore for AY 2009 – 2010. I was not very sure why I got it but without checking much I made the online payment for this amount. This turned out to be a blunder!!!

I checked my form 16 after making the payment and tax for that year was paid in full! Then I logged in to to see why I got this notice in the first place. Thankfully I have always filed my returns online and my return for AY 2009-10 was there. Good. Then I found my mistake: Total Tax payable that year was about 18K and Total Tax Paid was the same. But TDS entry was NIL (This is the Mistake).

I don’t know in which world I was when I paid the tax without checking the details. I could have easily called the CPC numbers and got my old return rectified. But now I have already made the payment.

Although I have called CPC Bangalore office and they told to file a rectification online. Now that I have paid exrta tax will they pay me back this ‘Extra’ tax. Just want to know the process to get it back… Any suggestions???


83 Manish Chauhan July 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi Praveen

Dont worry .. while there will be few delays , but you should get back the payment , but there can be delays , just make sure now you use RTI if other things not work and keep note of the challan number and acknowledgement numbers .

I suggest you start a thread on our forum to discuss this, and surely you will get a direction –



84 praveen Kuma July 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Manish!! I will keep you posted with my exp in this case and start a new thread…


85 Manish Chauhan July 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Sure !


86 MAYANKKUMAR August 15, 2013 at 6:16 pm



87 Vivek July 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

Really sad of affairs that so many people file their returns religiously and end of the day you are made to go around the bush and take recourse to other ways of getting them. In India even IT department is making a strong claim that dishonesty is the best policy. Well I have been following up with the grievance department for sometime now and got only one reply to inform my pan no. which I promptly did. There is no news for months together. I visited the IT department as per the address given in their reply but I was informed that I have to go somewhere else which I find it difficult with my mobility to travel in public transport.
I think I will use the RTI process described here as I had manually filed my returns on 27th July 2012 for the assessment year 2012-13.


88 Manish Chauhan July 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yea . go ahead with it and I am sure it will help you like so many others !


89 Salman July 15, 2013 at 10:51 am


My refund for the Assessment year 2009-2010 is yet to come. I made an enquiry 3 weeks back at the respective Income tax officer at Unity Bldg in Bangalore. I was informed that the Refund Order was out of date and they generated a new refund order ( They gave me a New Refund Order Number also) as per my request on 13th July 2013. I was informed that the refund amount will be credited but it is yet to happen even after few weeks now.

Should I wait for more before I file RTI or I can file RTI now? Is it advisable to make a phone call to income tax office to get these information?

Finally I downloaded CPIO details from the link provided by you. It is a word file where details of CPIO of my ward 10(1) is given. No name of the officer is mentioned.

It is like : Dy./Asst. Commissioner of Income-tax, Cir-10(1), Bangalore

That’s all. I wonder, only with the designation ( No name mentioned) can I file RTI or not?

Waiting for your response soon!
Thank you


90 Manish Chauhan July 15, 2013 at 11:58 am

I suggest you file a RTI anyways . I would not like to depend on their replies . It will anyways take months . Once a RTI is filed, they are in pressure to make sure that the query is resolved.



91 Salman July 16, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for your response. I am filing RTI now.. Please clarify..

— Postal order need to take for Rs.10 only?, please confirm.
— It is mentioned in the given form that: –
” I am willing to pay any additional charges as determined by the CPIO under Sec 7(3) , and communicated to me with a reasoned order which includes detailed calculations……………..”

Please mention what is this charge about? What is this Sec7(3) about?
— Is the given form the latest one?
Waiting for your response.


92 Manish Chauhan July 18, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Yes . postal order of Rs 10 .

Just mention that you have paid the fees of Rs 10 via postal order number … . Thats all



93 Navneet July 18, 2013 at 8:16 am

Dear Manish,

Subject- CPIO/CAPIO tab not functioning.

As you suggested to find the concerned CPIO for the issue, go to website, visit the field office – Karnatka, & then click on tab CPIO/CAPIO.

But this tab is not working, I mean when I try to click on it, its not functioning. Request you to verify & suggest what can be done for it AND how else concerned CPIO address can be found.


94 Navneet July 18, 2013 at 8:24 am

I already tried with Internet explorer. Please suggest.


95 Manish Chauhan July 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

You will have to dig deeper on other links and try to find the relevent info . Try to search on google about it . or ask our forum –


96 Singh July 18, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Hi Manish
thats for info,
i m going to file IT-returns first time .
i have one doubt for filling ,it returns for 2012-2013 . Do i have to show all the investments
or only the investment for which i have not shown while deducting tax for last year.


97 Manish Chauhan July 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm

You should then file the returns for all the past years !


98 S S Prasad July 20, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I had filed ITR for Assessment Year 2012-13 on line within 31.07.2012 . ITR-V has also been issued. However, till date I have not received IT refund. On the website, it is mentioned that there is mismatch with the corresponding figure in Form 26AS. I had filed the ITR as per Form 16A issued by the Deductor (SBI) . Now, I want to know who is responsible to set the record matching. Can the case be not settled on the basis of Form 16A issued by the Deductor, in this case SBI. Kindly guide me.


99 Manish Chauhan July 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Better file a RTI now


100 Salm July 30, 2013 at 9:55 am


I filed RTI 10 days back. I got a call next day confirming that the RTI is received. However, I yet to get any response from them regarding the IT refund status yet. How are they suppose to respond to the RTI filed? By official communication or by mail?

Please confirm. What if they do not respond even after we send appeal ?


101 Manish Chauhan July 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm

wait for more time . You should be able to get it in 30-35 days after they get it .


102 Sandhya July 30, 2013 at 11:20 am

I have filed returns for 2010-11 by hardcopy and could not collect the ITR akmt due to personal reasons. I got the refund cheque but got expired by the time I dropped at my bank.

I got the expired cheque only. How can I reclaim my refund again ?


103 Manish Chauhan July 31, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Now file the RTI and find out whats to do next


104 sachin July 31, 2013 at 10:06 am


I filed my RTI and got refund few days back…
However, I found the interest calculated on refund is not correct. Any got the refund credited in my account.

Thanks Manish for this article!!


105 Manish Chauhan July 31, 2013 at 5:13 pm

In that case why dont you file another RTI asking questions about the interest part and get explaination !


106 sachin July 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yes. Any idea what is the rate of interest they pay. It is Assessment year 2009-10

What is the percentage income tax department pay on delayed refund amount? In my case, ( Refund for the A.Y 2009-10) is it calculated from 2010 April till date, isn’t it? Please confirm..

Thank you


107 Manish Chauhan August 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I am not very sure . But I guess its around 1% per month


108 B.VADIVELAN August 7, 2013 at 10:14 am



109 MAYANKKUMAR August 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm



110 Vivek Vatve August 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Is it possible to get back TDS by income tax authority, cut by the share brokers while trading?
I have not disclosed the share trading business in ITR, as I just do it now for a part time.

-Vivek Vatve


111 Manish Chauhan August 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

If you do not own any tax, then you can get it back !


112 Vivek Vatve August 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thank You Sir.
-vivek vatve


113 Sanjiv Gupta September 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hi Manish,

I had file e-return in 2010-11 but not received the return amount yet. online status says it has been transfered to your jurisdiction (Delhi ward 74), I sent a letter to this ward but no response received. I have no option than filing an RTI application.
Can you please suggest where to send RTI application? Can I file RTI by sending application by post (including 10 Rs. draft) OR I need to submit the RTI in person ?


114 Manish Chauhan September 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

You can send it by registered post and it has to be sent to EPFO office of your Jurisdiction , not exactly the WARD . They will take care of it most probably !


115 jitendra j. parekh September 6, 2013 at 1:51 am

Dear Sir,
I was not recived my refund Rs 660/- of Assement Year 2012-2013 up to today. I was going to valsad income tex office time to time but not given any response. They were ask
inspector of ward II was transfer. New appoiment will not done last 4 month. so your problem is pending. Two times all document given for office for process,but problem is not solved. Pl.suggest me what I can do.
PAN NO. ADWPP0707C. A.Y.2012-2013. F.Y.2011-2012


116 Manish Chauhan September 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm

FILE a RTI application and ask your questions !


117 rakesh barma September 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

i am not refund 2016/- in financial year 2012-13.


118 venkatesh asampelli October 11, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Dear sir
I want to ITR But how to do ? from where? what is the process?
Please guide me.


119 Manish Chauhan October 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm
120 mahesh November 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Dear sir,
I was not Received my Refund for AY-2011-2012 & AY 2012-2013 also i filled Rectification Return on 29th Aug 2013.

Please tell me what i do


121 Manish Chauhan November 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I suggest you file a RTI and get it done as suggested in the article


122 gokul November 17, 2013 at 9:48 pm

i am earing 26000 per month… i am paying 31000 as insurance per year.. how much should i pay as tax.. any other way to get deduction


123 Harini December 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I received the Refund cheque from IT but teh Account no mentioned is incorrect so that bank returned the cheque. What can be done now?


124 Manish Chauhan December 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You need to reapply for that


125 Harini December 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

yes. I am trying to do the same through the website. I am not able to understand what is CPC no.
Also i think i need to send the cheque back for cancellation. Can you guide me on that?


126 Manish Chauhan December 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Please open a thread on our forum for this –


127 Viswanath January 11, 2014 at 2:30 pm


My refund cheque through speed post has got returned as I have changed my residence recently . Further enquiry with the local post offic revealed that it has been sent back from where it originated. Please let me know as to how i can receive the refund amount.

Thanks in advance



128 Manish Chauhan January 14, 2014 at 12:38 pm

You will then have to again put a request for refund !


129 SURESH January 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hello sir,
I was applied for the I t returns for the assessment year of 2013-2014 till date am not received the refund ,through am applied online, in status is showing already dispatched to the bank on jan -09-2014

of Income Tax Department
Status of your tax refund
Assessment Year
(CS – The Assessing Officer has processed your refund and forwarded to SBI for dispatch. Jan 9, 2014

* The date corresponds to the status.
In case of refunds through ECS; the date will not be displayed.

Insist on Computerised Challan Counterfoil from bank for tax deposited. )
what can I do now sir


130 Manish Chauhan January 20, 2014 at 7:58 pm

You should file a RTI now


131 Narayana Murthy January 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Hi Maneesh,

Thanks for the inputs. I had sent RTI to incometax department last weekend. I was suppose to get refund for 2010-11 assessment.


132 Manish Chauhan January 20, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Great , you should now wait for next 35-40 days for RTI reply . It will move !


133 Narayana Murthy January 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

Hi Manish,

Happy yo inform, I got my refund cheque 29th Jan 2014. Thanks once again for the information provided by you. The long pending 3 years wait solved in 8 days.

Narayana Murthy


134 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Great to hear that Narayana

RTI is very powerful , good to hear that your matter is resolved !


135 Karan Batra January 31, 2014 at 1:13 pm

wow… thats great Narayana…

And thanks Manish for guiding all your readers and helping them manage their finances better


136 Manish Chauhan February 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Karan !


137 bchat2000 January 29, 2014 at 11:00 am

Hi Manish

An amount of RS 152000 approx refund is due to me for AY 2009-10 and an amount of Rs 56000 approx refund is due to me for AY 2013-14.
In Oct 2013, I have received an intimation from CPC dtd 4th Oct 2013 stating that the amount due for AY 2013-14 is being adjusted against a claim the ITO is making for an amt. of Rs 120,000 approx for the Y 2009-10. It also mentioned an amount . of Rs 3000 approx due from AY 2006-07 which I had already paid in 2010 but still not updated in the ITO system.
I travelled from Bangalore and met the AO officer(W12) in Hyderabad immediately and provided him with all documents which validated my claim of refund of 151,000 and not the amount due to be paid of Rs 120,000 as mentioned in the CPC(it was a case of double taxation benefit, the credit amount of which the ITO has not inputted in their system). The AO said he will be making the corrections in the system accordingly and resolve the issue in 2 weeks’ time.
I had been following up with the AO every week ever since, and every time I hear a reply that will be done in another week. After waiting patiently for 3 months, I met the AO on 22nd Jan 2014 in Hyderabad and now he had asked for my Form-16(all these months when I was calling him up, he never asked for it). I have provided through email, the scanned copy of all the documents once again.
Now, he says that he will move the file to Addl. Commissioner since the refund is more than 1 lakh rupees for AY 2009-10. What do you suggest- should I believe him and wait for some more days or raise a RTI now? I stay in Bangalore and it is not possible for me to travel frequently to Hyderabad to check with the AO about the status. Please advise.


138 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Trust me , at the first look , I can sense that the office is delaying so that he can get something in return from you to speed up the process. Long back you must have filed a RTI on this, I just saw one other comment where one guy told me that after filing his RTI he has got the tax refund which was pending from 3 yrs !

So just dont loose more time, dont travel anywhere , just spend Rs 10 on filing RTI and keep patience and keep doing it. I am sure that you will not spend more than Rs 100 on this :)


139 bchat2000 January 31, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi Manish,

Thanks for your advise. I have filed a RTI today.


140 Manish Chauhan February 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Great ! , would like to know what happened with it later after 40-45 days ! , please update us


141 bchat2000 February 7, 2014 at 11:46 am

Hi Manish,

The RTI has reached W12(1) officer on 3rs Feb 2014. Today morning, I have received a copy of the letter dated 5th Feb 2014 sent to the Asst. Commissioner of Income Tax, Circle-12(1), Hyderabad forwarding all documents to the Astt Commissioner stating that herewith jurisdiction of the case vested with the Astt Commissioner.
He has sent me the copy with a request to make further correspondence with the Asst Commissioner, Circle-12(1).

What do I do now? Shall I wait for few days for the Astt Commissioner to take action or do I need to send another letter or RTI to him?


142 Manish Chauhan February 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Yes, sent another letter to him now !


143 Sharad Kumar January 30, 2014 at 9:31 pm


I had filed my return for F.Y. 2009-10 in that my TDS was dedcuted from my PF money. Eg. i left the job and 30% of my PF amount was deducted as TDS. THa amount was around 20000/-. The details are being displayed in form 26AS. I had been asking my CA for the refund but its been more than 3 years that i have not got my refund. i feel my CA has not included the amount in my ITR. Please tell me how to get my refund. I am really worried. Please guide me….


144 Manish Chauhan January 31, 2014 at 11:33 am

Did you withdraw your PF within 5 yrs of job, because then your tax will be 30% only (assuming you are in highest bracket)


145 Sharad Kumar January 31, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Yes. i know that. How do i get my refund please help m in that…


146 Sharad Kumar January 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm


I also had few refunds from IT department but the cheque could not be delivered to us due to some unknown reasons. please tell me how i can get the refund again.



147 Manish Chauhan January 31, 2014 at 11:31 am

You need to re-file for the refund now .


148 Sharad Kumar January 31, 2014 at 2:14 pm

how to refile the refund.


149 Manish Chauhan February 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Just like you file for the first time, refiling here means file for tax return again !


150 Deepak January 30, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Hi Manish,

This is something related to this article.

I just checked my “Outstanding Tax Demand” from . It has demand of Rs 6444 for AY 2008-2009. I doubt this was because I ha worked for 2 companies in this year and my later employer might have done some mistake is calculation previous employers details .
What does this mean and how can I pay this to gov.

Is there any penalty also if I pay it now.



151 Manish Chauhan January 31, 2014 at 11:21 am

You should go to income tax website and use challan 280 to make payment


152 TRIDIP KUMAR PAUL February 12, 2014 at 10:33 pm

i was submitted my ITR on July,2013 for the assessment year 2013-2014. But Still now i have not got my IT refund. please respond the matter and make it as early as possible.


153 Manish Chauhan February 14, 2014 at 4:33 pm

You should file the RTI on this matter now !


154 Tonica Mittal February 19, 2014 at 12:14 am

It is now 1 year completed and I have not received my refund of Rs.1500/- till date The ITR was for 2013-14 Assessment year. when i am checking online following message is coming:
“Expired Cheque – Refund voucher cancelled. The refund voucher was not deposited for encashment within 90 days from the date of issue. Contact your assessing officer for fresh release of refund.”
I have also verified in the nearby post office if any speedpost has came,but they told me nothing has come up.
I have tried to call State Bank of India Call Center number 080-26599760,but its not available.

Please suggest,what i should do now and to whom i shall contact??


155 Manish Chauhan February 21, 2014 at 10:47 am

I am assuming that your old address was updated in their records ? Can you check with them on which address the cheque was sent ? Use RTI


156 Manish February 19, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Hii..I have one doubt. My father claimed for ITR manually for year 2009-2010 & 2010-2011. But he has not received return till now. But today on surfing I found the link shown above and checked the status for above years. To my surprise, it is showing the refund cheque has been already en-cashed. What to do now? As we have not received any claim back?


157 Manish Chauhan February 21, 2014 at 10:31 am

You should file a RTI to tax department and ask them on this, tell them on whose name the cheque’s had been send and on what date it was enchashed ?


158 Raju Shinde March 12, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Hi Manish,
As per your article I have filed RTI for refund through Online RTI Website.
After that I got info that wrongly I filed RTI to Delhi CPIO. After One month they transferred my RTI to Mumbai, CPIO.
Today my CA approached IT office for IT return for FY 12-13, The AO told him that they have received RTI from me and I am famous and also informed him that ask to meet him and withdraw RTI then he will refund amount in April. Let me know what to do?
Shall I wait for some time? or file another RTI.


159 Manish Chauhan March 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I dont think you should take any action . Do not withdraw the RTI , infact file another RTI after some time to ask for status . They will have to do the action !


160 Raju Shinde March 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Manish, I will wait till April 2014 then file RTI again.


161 Jagannadham Vajjhala March 25, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I received a notice from IT dept asking me to pay the shortfall in TDS along with interest thereon. I have worked at 2 places during the assessment year 2013-14 and they have taken the TDS deducted at only one place and the mistake was from the IT dept. I file my returns online and am working in a Bank. How do I resolve this issue.


162 Manish Chauhan March 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Is your TDS information there from the second company or not ? I am not sure if its the IT department mistake, I would have consulted a CA On this if I were at your place



163 Jagannadham Vajjhala March 26, 2014 at 5:30 pm

It was not a second company. I was working in Bank for the entire assessment year 2013-14 but worked at 2 places. The TAN was different at both the places. When I have downloaded the Form AS26 it was clearly showing the deductions from both the TANs while the IT Dept has taken into account the deduction made from the second TAN only.


164 Manish Chauhan March 26, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Hmm. in that case I suggest you file a RTI asking for explanation , with RTI things will move fast . Its the best way to get work done with a govt agency !


165 Jagannadham Vajjhala March 26, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I have written a letter asking them to clarify and if I do not receive a reply within a week, yes, I will file a RTI asking for explanation. Thanks a lot ..


166 Manish Chauhan March 26, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Sure .. please do !


167 Rubina Khan July 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Hi manish,
My tds cheque for AY 2012-13 returned back -status says No such Address – Refund voucher cancelled. The instrument returned undelivered by the speed post as the address provided by the assessee is not complete/ non existent. where after few months i received my cheque of AY 2011-12 on the same address.first cheque was processed earlier then another one, but i didnt receive it. what shall i do?plz help


168 Manish Chauhan September 21, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I think you should contact the income tax department now and also file a RTI asking what exactly is the issue !


169 Javed H Shah August 21, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi Manish,

My income Tax refund of 1.3L for AY 2011-12 & 2012-13 is pending from ITO Gurgaon. I had filed my return via C.A. in July 2013. When i spoke to my CA regarding refund, he said he can do it in 10%. I denied. I went to ITO on 8th Aug 2014 to inquire about my refund status but the answer was as expected (will release in 1 month). And the trend in ITO Gurgaon is 5% to get your Refund quickly.

SO I filed RTI for my Refund to respective ward AO on 9th Aug via speed post as per the instruction on this forum. It reached them on 11th Aug. But since then there is no reply or call or acknowledgement from them.

What can i do next ? Shall i wait for 3o days to file Fisrt Appeal ?


170 Manish Chauhan September 20, 2014 at 5:10 pm

You should ideally wait for 50 days .. then file a first appeal


171 prakash September 16, 2014 at 5:35 pm


I filed online tds this year for AY 2013-14 at may 2014 & got the ITR v reciept no after 2 months but still I don’t got my tds refund, whenever I check the refund status there is a message that “the refund is not determind” and don’t show any error in my ITR v.I have another question should I online file for the AY 2014-15 now or wait for the refund AY 2013-14..

Please help me ..thanks


172 Manish Chauhan September 20, 2014 at 2:21 pm

RTI the best thing you can do . File it and ask your questions with them .


173 Sajal Jaiswal November 20, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hi Manish….need your help! One of my refund cheque of 2009-10 got sent to my old address and eventually bounced back. How can i go about getting that cheque back?

Sajal Jaiswal


174 Manish Chauhan November 21, 2014 at 10:00 am

I think you will have to request for it again from the income tax department


175 Kamal Kumar Sarkar November 23, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I filed online tds this year for AY 2013-14on 23 Jul 2013 to IT Department, CPC, Post Bag No-1 Bangaluru and E-filling Ack No 672142140230713 but after 1 year and 4 months still I don’t got my tds refund, when I am checking online following message is coming.
” Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.

My PAN No BEIPS8723m pls intimate present position of the case


Leave a Comment