Best pension plans in india – Disadvantages and Advantages

What are pension plans and how do you identify the best pension plan in India? Is it the LIC pension plans or some pension plan policies from pvt companies or some unit linked plan from companies claiming to provide you with Rs. ‘X’ for ‘Y’ numbers of years once you retires? In this article we will see some of the disadvantages of pension plans in India and how they work.

Pension Plans in India

A lot of investors think that retirement pension plans are the only way to go; and if they do not invest in these products today, then they will miss out on something. In this article let’s talk about pension products. Before I move ahead I would like to coin two terms used in Financial planning which are very easy to understand.

Accumulation Phase : Accumulation Phase is that period of your life, where you invest regularly each month and “accumulate” the Wealth. You start getting pension later in life.  So when you invest your money in ULIP’s, Mutual funds, Direct Stocks or anything else you are into accumulation phase.

Distribution Phase : This phase refers to period when you start withdrawing money from your already accumulated wealth for consumption purpose. So at the time of your retirement or even before that, when you start taking out certain amount per month for next ‘N’ years, that’s called distribution phase.

Best Pension plans in India

Two major categories of Pension Plans

Let me start by taking about pension plans and their types. There are mainly two type of pension plans at broad level.

Deffered Annuity Plans : Most of the pension products in india are sold by LIC and all the private companies are deferred pension plans. These plans have accumulation phase inbuilt in itself and hence you first pay premiums for ‘X’ number of years. Once you retire, then you start getting pension income. You can see these types of plans all over the market. Some examples are LIC Jeevan Tarang, LIC Jeevan Nidhi , Bajaj Allianz Swarna Raksha ROC , New Pension Scheme (NPS)

Immediate Annuity Plans : These products are called immediate annuity plans because they start paying you the annuity right from day one once you make a lumpsum payment. So if a person wants a monthly pension and has huge lumpsum money, he can buy an immediate annuity plan and start getting pension. It’s a simple product which is not so much popular in India like deferred annuity plans. Some of the examples of immediate annuity plans are  LIC Jeevan Akshay , ICICI Pru Immediate Annuity , HDFC Immediate Annuity .

4 reasons why you should not buy deffered annuity plans

Let me tell you 4 strong reasons why you should avoid buying pension plans in India .

1. There are better options for growth of your wealth

The accumulation of your wealth happens in a pension plan for many years, but it’s not the best way your money can grow, ultimately if you had to invest your money in equity (underlying asset class), you have simple and no-cost options like mutual funds, index funds. Also you can choose to put money in real estate. A regular SIP in an equity diversified mutual funds should give much better returns then accumulation in a pension plan (read unit linked products).

2. No predictable returns for annuity

The core function of a pension plan is to give you pension. But do you know how much returns you will get out of your pension plans when time comes for retirement? A lot of pension products do not give a clear idea on how much will you get at the end. What is the return earned is around mere 4%? What will you do? The same is true for NPS.

One major (I mean MAJOR) DRAWBACK is you have no clue what will happen once you finish the accumulation stage and go on to the withdrawal stage. Let us say you have accumulated Rs. 500 lakhs in a NPS account. They allow you to withdraw say 50% of the amount and the balance has to be invested BACK in an annuity. Let us say you ARE FORCED to invest Rs. 250 lakhs in an annuity which pays Rs. 11,000 per month as a pension…looks good? Well depends on what you are capable of doing with your own money!

says PV Subramanyam in this article

At this point of time, the better alternatives would be old fashioned products like Post office monthly schemes , Fixed deposits with monthly payouts or even senior citizen savings scheme. these all give near inflation returns atleast .

3. Rigidness and no flexibiity

Almost all the pension products are rigid in taxation and what you can do with your money at the end. Under current laws you can withdraw only 1/3rd of your accumulated money tax-free, where as there is long term capital gains at the moment is 100% tax-free. Also it’s compulsory to buy annuity for the remaining money. What if I want all my money for some reason at the end? What if I don’t have a requirement for income later?

These problems won’t be there if you accumulate your money in plain vanilla mutual funds or PPF or other simple investment products.

4. High charges

Who does not know how ULIP’s and other similar products have charged so high costs for initial years without giving clarity to customers. These annuity plans also have high allocation charges many times and customers do not know about it and can’t do much later when he acknowledges it! So why do you want to pay high fees for these products?

Conclusion

It’s suggested that you invest in some instrument which does not have any rigidness on what can be done with your investments at some later stage, like Mutual funds, Direct Equity, PPF, Index Funds, Real estate or even old fashioned products like FD, NSC, KVP… You can create your own accumulation stage and when the time comes for “distribution phase” (pension), you can always buy some immediate annuity plans or create your monthly income through ways of renting out property, getting FD interest or plain dividends from stocks or any combination of these. I hope you have got a fair understanding of what are pension plans in India.

By Manish Chauhan on October 11, 2011 · Posted in Other Products and Concepts

240 Comments | Post Comment

Srikanth says:

Related post by Deepak Shenoy some time back:

Srikanth
FundsIndia.com

Posted on October 11th, 2011

jitendra solanki says:

H Manish,

Very good article.

One more point to note is that the annuity provider in most of the cases is LIC an dthey are using the rates of old decades (96-98)which is not relevant now. Also the mortality rates in annuities used by LIC cater to same period.This also has been the main cause of high cost of annuities.

I wrote on annuities and its disdavntages…u will find it useful…

Jitendra Solanki

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Manish says:

How good is the newly launched ‘Tata Retirement Savings Fund’ as a pension product ? URL : http://goo.gl/nTTtT

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Hitesh says:

A very good article on retirement planning.
I have planned to accumulate the corpus through SIPs in mutual funds. So when plan to retire, how should i invest my corpus ?

Hitesh

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Srikanth

Nice article .. just had a look .

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Jitendra

Good to hear your comments on this . Read your article too .. Nice one

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Manish Chauhan says:

Looks good to me from features point . Read this : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/investing-in-tata-retirement-savings-fund/2085/

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Hitesh

There is a lot of time for that to happen , concentrate purely on accumulation phase at the moment . I am coming up with one article which talks about how to generate the regular income from your lumpsum money

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Hitesh says:

ok . I will wait for that article

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Dharmesh Gangani says:

Once again, a very good eye-opener. You & your team are doing a fabulous job by coming up with such eye-opening articles which most of us small investors are unaware of.
Though I discovered this drawback about Pension plans over a period of time by reading thru lots of articles on Personal Finance over the past 3 yrs…

Posted on October 11th, 2011

Deepak Shenoy says:

Thanks for that, Srikanth, and nice article, Manish. It’s worse now – you get long term govt bonds at about 8.9% which is much higher than the current annuity quote!

Posted on October 12th, 2011

Shailesh Kumar says:

Hi Manish!
Excellent and honest short review of pension plans.I had invested in
HDFC PENSION PLAN AND ICICI PRU PENSION PLAN-both ULIPS, few years
back..i have paid mandatory premiums ..but i have planned to surrender
them as i realized over time that the average rate of return in
deffered annuity is not more than 2-4%.This practically means i am
making those company richer by making myself poorer in comparative
terms. Of late i was seriously thinking to open NPS account but after
reading your article i have decided to accumulate in traditional asset
classes and buy an immediate annuity at retirement.

Thank you again for this enlightening review.

with regards,
Shailesh

Posted on October 12th, 2011

Harsha says:

Thanx for another eye-opener.
Just like any normal Indian, I was not immune to such policies, I have donated my fair share of money to ICICI prudential for a policy that I had.

But that is history now – After the ‘Action Month’, I have owed not to make such companies richer by my donations.

Harsha.

Posted on October 12th, 2011

Ankur Lakhia says:

Thanks for the article. I will wait for your next article on generating regular income from lumpsum. I hope you will touch aspects related to inflation in that article.

do you have data on what is current annuity rates offered by various companies, for a 60 years old, considering option of return of corpus to nominee on death? Just curious to know how much lower they offer compared to market rates of various FDs.

Posted on October 12th, 2011

S S says:

True, most of the pension plans in country are more or less a joke. Ideally retirement savings should be tax free but gov wants to extract tax there too. Then we are supposed to buy (forced to buy) annuity from our own money. Why should we? Its my money and let me decide how I want to use it. Its good to accumulate your own corpus and withdraw as per your requirement.

Posted on October 12th, 2011

No Vacancy says:

I have a different view on retirement savings.
I propose to invest money in MF via SIP.
At the end of the year, sell the units (but continue investing in MF) to generate a cash of say 1 lac.
Put this 1 lac in 10 yr FD which will give you roughly 2.5 lacs after 10 years.
Follow this route every year.

Plan this in such a way that after you cross your retirement age (say 60 yrs), FDs will mature every year thereafter (say for next 20 yrs).

Of course this is just one way of planning for retirement.

Posted on October 13th, 2011

No Vacancy

Good way :) .

Posted on October 14th, 2011

S S

yea .. true that retirement savings must be tax free .. but it can happen only if we save our money in other asset classes like equity shares and mutual funds

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Ankur

I dont know the exact number , but it is in range of 4-5%

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Harsha

No an issue .. learn from history , build your future

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Shailesh

Good to hear that you learned that lesson early :) . Now just accumulate money in mutual funds

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Deepak

Oh .. didnt knew that :) .. thanks for telling

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Dharmesh

Good to hear that .. kindly spread this article to your friends

Posted on October 14th, 2011

Jaideep says:

a very nice article and as some one pointed out, an eye opener.on that note, i have just started investing in Franklin Templeton Pension Plan.please elt me know if this plan too has same drawbacks.

Jaideep

Posted on October 15th, 2011

Jaideep

Yes , all the pension plans in our country have the same issues

Posted on October 16th, 2011

Tahsin says:

Awesome article, I am just 23 and want to accumulate loads of money..
Could you suggest me best ways would be really thnakful.
I have fixed income and can invest 50,000-1,00,000 a Year.

Please suggest me.

Tahsin.

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Tahsin

Go with mutual funds

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Gaurav Kumar says:

Thanks for another great article. I would again raise my point about NPS. Most of us talk only about the non-mandatory part of NPS ie. the Tier II wherein one is free to invest money or to stay away.

What about a large number of govt. employees who have joined in the past few years for whom investment in NPS Tier I is mandatory. What options do they have? Is there a way to make the best out of this obligation?

Best wishes,
Gaurav

Posted on October 18th, 2011

Gaurav

Being a govt employee if govt has made it mandatory for them to invest in NPS , then you cant do much … Thats teh cost one has to pay and its a nice way for govt to provide social security and pay less to them :)

Posted on October 18th, 2011

Gaurav Kumar says:

So, I guess that means that I should expect very mediocre returns for a substantial part of my hard earned money. But you know what, this just makes me more determined about being wise about the investments that I make with the rest of my money. :)

But in all the mumbo-jumbo of the NPS talk there is also something about choosing amongst fund managers and options to switch after every some time. How do I understand which fund manager’s approach to my money is right?

Keep up the good work,
Gaurav

Posted on October 18th, 2011

Vinod says:

Very informative post…thanks for sharing…lovely blog !!

Posted on October 18th, 2011

Tahsin says:

Thanks a lot, would you be able to suggest some mutual fund Plans.

Thanks.

Posted on October 19th, 2011

Dweep says:

Nice article.
Btw would love an article about arbitrage funds as an investment option.

Posted on October 21st, 2011

Shiv says:

Thanks for nice Article on NPS.

Posted on October 21st, 2011

Sandeep banerjee says:

Glad to join forum…….Very Very informative and eye opener article.
Thanks a Lot…

Posted on October 21st, 2011

burntout says:

Excellent article. Definitely something to think about on my journey to early retirement. Typically I find most pension plans implicitly assume a traditional retirement age (around 60-65) Are you aware of plans that might be suited for early retirees (say in the 40-45 age bracket)

Posted on October 21st, 2011

Burntout

In that case hte best thing i can recommend is just do your accumulation in mutual funds and whenever you want to retire, at that time you can think what you need to do with your money to get a regular income

Posted on October 22nd, 2011

Sandeep

Good to hear that you are liking it here :) .. keep coming

Posted on October 22nd, 2011

Shiv

Welcome .. Have you invested in NPS ?

Posted on October 22nd, 2011

Dweep

You can ask your question on our forum , I am not the best person to talk on arbitrage funds

Posted on October 22nd, 2011

Tahsin

You can read these : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2010/08/list-of-best-equity-diversified-mutual-funds-for-2010.html

Posted on October 23rd, 2011

Shiv says:

No, I dint invest in NPS. I have two ULIP policy(60k+30K). I am planning to surrender them after reading articles on your site. Great work Manish.. Thanks

Posted on October 23rd, 2011

Gaurav

Truely speaking , i think you should think and act less .. I would recommend just buy some top funds which are long term funds and already tested .. dont try too many things .. Focus more on consistency and saving more and more ..

Posted on October 23rd, 2011

meera piyush prasad says:

thanks manish, we were planning to surrender our ICICI n LIC pension policies but was not sure, but after reading your article I am convinced. Whenever I have a doubt I just hop on to jago!!

Posted on December 5th, 2011

meena says:

I have to transfer my pension plan from overseas to India. which Plan will be the best? I don’t want to keep my money for long in these pension plans nor I am interested in paying premium for very long as I know there is no benefit of investing in Indian pension products. These are the only recognised qualified plan where I can transfer-
Aegon Religare Pension Plan India
New Best Years India
Quantum Solutions Employees Provident Fund Trust India
Smart Invest Pension India

Meena

Posted on December 12th, 2011

Meena

incase you dont have any choice , then LIC jeevan akshay is the one suggested

Posted on December 12th, 2011

Jitendra Solanki says:

Meena,

If you are looking for immediate annuity then yes Jeevan Akshay VI is the preferred choice. You will start receiving pension immediately.

However, if there is still time to reach the vesting age then you will have to go for a deferred annuity plan.

Posted on January 18th, 2012

meena says:

I am too far from the vesting age. Also I would prefer for the single premium.

Can anyone suggest if the following plans are still running as I didn’t find them on their company websites?

Flexi Secure Retirement Plan
IDBI Federal Retiresurance® Guaranteed Pension Plan
IDBI Federal Retiresurance Milestone Pension Plan
IDBI Fortis Retiresurance Pension
Max New York Life Smart Invest Pension Plus India
Max New York Life Smart Invest Pension Super India
Met Advantage Plus India
Met Pension Plus India
New Best Years (till 31st Dec’11 only hence not available)

Meena

Posted on January 20th, 2012

Jitendra Solanki says:

Meena,

Pension plans today are costly and not attractive.Reason IRDA has made it mandatory to provide guaranteed returns in all pension plans not only at vesting but in case of surrender and death also.Due to this most companies are not even marketing these plans as they find it difficult to comply with this norm.

It will be good if you look at other options like Mutual funds for accumulating corpus for retirement and then at your vesting age buy immediate annuity.However the only risk today is that annuity does not increase with inflation and you might have to look at other source of income if your need increases. Probably when you reach your vesting age annuities will be far better.

Hence my advise will be to do a proper retirement planning where you will first identify your desired income and then invest in products which can meet it.Searching for a single product will be difficult in current scenario as annuity market is still not developed yet and there are many factors like inflation, longevity, income etc. which you need to consider while planning for retirement.

Posted on January 21st, 2012

meena says:

Thanks Jitendra & Manish,

I understand, the pension plans are not attractive but I have no other choice but to transfer my overseas pension to one of the “qualified Indian pension plan”. I am trying to find out the best fit plan from the list provided by the UK govt. I am facing problems because the following plans are not available on the web so I would like to know if these plans are still open?

Flexi Secure Retirement Plan
IDBI Federal Retiresurance® Guaranteed Pension Plan
IDBI Federal Retiresurance Milestone Pension Plan
IDBI Fortis Retiresurance Pension
Max New York Life Smart Invest Pension Plus India
Max New York Life Smart Invest Pension Super India
Met Advantage Plus India
Met Pension Plus India

Meena

Posted on January 25th, 2012

Jitendra Solanki says:

Hi Meena,

Need to check with the companies about these plans. Will take a day or two.

In the meantime I have recently come to know about a company based in london and having office in India who helps individuals worked in UK to unlock their pension and invest proceeds in emerging economies including India.Will be meeting them sometime in FEB for details.

Posted on January 25th, 2012

Meena

You should discuss this in length at our forum : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on January 26th, 2012

meena says:

Thanks Jitendra,
I don’t know if it is allowed to unlock the pension before vesting age in the UK but which is allowed, is to transfer into QROPS.
Anyway, I would like to hear if there are updates and I am not aware of.
Meena

Posted on January 26th, 2012

meena says:

Thanks Manish!

Posted on January 26th, 2012

jithin says:

Very informative article Manish. I have two pension plans from ICICI. I think I will surrender those and put the money in equity funds. However if I surrender these before 5yrs are completed, what are the tax liabilities?

Posted on February 15th, 2012

Jithin

You will loose the tax benefits you have go till now on them and those will be reveresed

Posted on February 15th, 2012

jithin says:

I think besides that, the fund value will be added to my taxable income and I will have to pay tax on that too. In that case should I hold on to them for 5 years?

Posted on February 15th, 2012

JIthin

Yea .. even that will happen .. if its just few months left .. then better wait !

Posted on February 15th, 2012

Ankit Mittal says:

Meena and Jitendra,
I am a UK resident as well and now thinking of transferring my UK pension to Indian pension schemes approved by the the UK. In addition to the list Meena provided, there has been one more added – Aviva Pension Builder, which guarantees that your investment will double in a 12yr period. As Meena mentioned, you have to transfer them to qualified pension schemes. I wanted to check whether you guys have been able to further explore and figured out alternatives or which one is the best scheme from the list.

Posted on February 16th, 2012

Jitendra Solanki says:

Dear Ankit,

There has been new IRDA norms on pension plans due to which old products have become unviable. Companies are finding difficulty in implementing these regulations due to which new products have not been launched. Old products will not be applicable now and hence i am taking time to figure out the best in today’s scenario.Products listed by Meena are no more available as they are old products.

I will be able to tell you in few more days the best options.

Are you allowed to transfer your proceeds in NPS (New Pension Scheme) launched by Indian Government. Check on this. http://www.pfrda.org.in is the website.In today’s scenario this is the best option you have.

Posted on February 16th, 2012

Jitendra Solanki says:

Hi Meena,

Check on http://www.pfrda.org.in.

This is NPS- New Pension Scheme launched by the Indian government. Probably the best option among all products.

Posted on February 16th, 2012

Suunil says:

Nice article and discussion. Could you tell me how is HDFC SL Progrowth Maximiser? Also I am looking for one time investment products. I hope I am doing right. Please advise.

Posted on March 24th, 2012

Suunil

We really dont recommend plans like those. If you want to invest one time,better go STP route : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2010/03/what-is-systematic-transfer-plan-stp.html

Posted on March 24th, 2012

Jagan Mohan Rao says:

What about Tata – Aig Mahagold, i have taken it one year back . Kindly advice whether to keep it or surrender.

Posted on March 26th, 2012

Jagan

Here is a detailed discussion ! http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/tata-aig-mahalife-gold-plan/2605/

Posted on March 26th, 2012

Suunil says:

Thanks Manish.

Posted on March 26th, 2012

Suunil says:

I opened link provided by you and found 1 slide in the presentation. Has it only one slide or I am missing something?

Posted on March 28th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Which slide are you talking about ?

Posted on March 28th, 2012

Suunil says:

Slideshare.

Posted on March 28th, 2012

But which slide ?

Posted on March 28th, 2012

Suunil says:

Under “Two Types of STP” >>”STP Information” heading

Posted on March 28th, 2012

Satyajit Roy says:

My LIC Market Plus ULIP will complete 5 years in Jan 2013. I had tax benefit on premium under Section 80C. If I surrender policy after 5 complete years, will surrender value tax free? Please answer. Thanks.

Satyajit.

Posted on April 27th, 2012

Yes, it will be tax free after 5 yrs

Posted on April 28th, 2012

Sumeet Kumar says:

Wts ur review about Kotak mahindra assured insurance plan.

Posted on June 10th, 2012

Sumeet

That question is more suited for http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum

Posted on June 10th, 2012

Akshay Kumar says:

Dear Mr. Manish,
I have been reading your artlcles & feedback regularly.
I would like to put my MF portfolio for your review & advice.
1. IDFC Premier Equity Fund Plan A (growth) SIP Rs.5000 for 60 months starting 04.01.2012
2. CRMF-Equity Tax saver Growth Fund SIP Rs.2500 for 24 months starting 01.08.2010 (will end on 01.07.2012)
3. ICICI Pru.Infrastructure Fund (G) no SIP (balance units-3214.162)

As per me there is no substantial growth. I want to review & modify as per your advice.
Best Regards,
Akshay

Posted on June 11th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

They are not growing in absolute terms or in relation to their benchmarks ? Both are different things – check this : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2012/05/mutual-funds-performance-vs-benchmark.html

Posted on June 12th, 2012

Meenachi says:

Excellent article! Thanks for all your input on indian pension plans. Now, its time for me to start investing in MF.

Meenachi

Posted on July 4th, 2012

Start investing asap now

Posted on July 4th, 2012

VB says:

Any update on this, i am also looking for funds in India

Any pointers to Quantum Solutions Employees Provident Fund Trust India – I just can’t find anything. I can only find Employees PF and nothing with “Quantam Solutions”…

Posted on July 8th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Can you repose your question !

Posted on July 9th, 2012

VB says:

I don;t know what you mean by “repose”, do you want me to create a new thread.

Basically, I wanted to know if someone in the forum has done QROPS and can share their experience.

And, in the QROPS list there is an eligible fund/plan called called “Quantam Solutions Elmpoyee Provident Fund”, What is this and any urls/links to give more information on this fund.

Posted on July 9th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Actually your question was not clear in the start . I remember there was a discussion on this topic on our forum earliar : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/transfer-uk-pension/2775/

Posted on July 9th, 2012

How to generate retirement income for parents? says:

[…] bank fixed deposits to generate comfortable, safe and secure monthly income.  You may also buy the immediate annuity plan. Also if at all required you can use products like “Reverse Mortgage” to generate comfortable […]

Posted on July 10th, 2012

Anish says:

Your movement of jaagoreinvester (I mean the forum) is great. I have LIC’s jeevan sathi plan since 2009, annual premium paid is almost 60 k. Please suggest whether to continue or when to surrender?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Anish

Posted on July 23rd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

You should discontinue and surrender it

Posted on July 25th, 2012

Dilip Srivastava says:

Dear Manish Ji,
Recently I have start searching about the pension plans in India and read your great articles. I really impressed and looking forward some guidance from you.

I am an OCI and living in Australia. My age is 51 and thinking to start some investment in India from now onward, as I have decided to move to India after my retirement age. I am looking to have at least Rs. 50,000 a month after my retirement age 65.
I will appreciate Manish, if you can please give your expertise opinion to what and where to start investing money to achieve my goal at my retirement age.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers
Dilip

Posted on August 5th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Ok you are starting at 51 , that means you just have 14 yrs left .. now the time component is restricted ,you should now use the option of equity investing to full extent . Invest in few good mutual funds aggresively and try to get real estate deal too in a city where you want to retire .

Posted on August 5th, 2012

Syraj says:

Hi
What is your opinion on HDFC prow growth fexi plan. Thy are offering tax free returns after investing for 5 years minimum.
The product can cover, life, education, pension plan etc?
What are te disadvantages?

Posted on August 9th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

For product review kind of questions – better ask at http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum

Posted on August 10th, 2012

K. Seshachalam says:

I just came across your article and have to join the queue to compliment you, great work indeed !

Posted on August 18th, 2012

Posted on August 20th, 2012

Dr. A. K. Baranwal says:

I am 46 year old and want to retirement plan for Rs. 25000/- per month, after 60 year age.

Pl. advice, best way.

Posted on August 20th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

You want to invest 25k per month or you want to get 25k per month ?

Posted on August 22nd, 2012

Dr. A. K. Baranwal says:

Dear Mr. Manish,

I am 46 year old and want a plan to get 25k per month after retirement (60 year). Pl. advice, best plan at this age and how much fund require for the same.

Ajay

Posted on August 29th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Will 25k be enough when you are 60? its same as getting 10k right now ?

Posted on August 29th, 2012

drjak says:

hi manish.
I need some advice please.
I am a 46 yr old doctor with pension in the NHS , UK & i have a pot of approx £332,000.
I took a ING best new years earlier this year prior to it being discontinued.
I am told i have a vesting period of 5 years & pay minimum amount yearly.
I am also told i could transfer NHS pension to ING vysya & if account is closed prior to vesting period i can take all the money out.
what is your feeling ?
My job in nhs is permanent though i am more inclined to get my hands on all my money in pension pot as soon as possible.
please advise.
regards

Posted on September 2nd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

This question is more suitable for discussion, please ask it here – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on September 2nd, 2012

debasish says:

very nice informative how can i ask my query to u

Posted on September 11th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

You can ask it on our forum – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on September 12th, 2012

Manish says:

I am 36 year old married man.. I wish to know that which is the best pension plan for me. OR what should I do to get pension in my older days.

Thanks in advance

Posted on September 19th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

As of now just concentrate on wealth creation , you can create pension later out of it .

Posted on September 19th, 2012

S K JAIN says:

Suppose a senior citizen, 75 years of age, wants to invest money in lump sum or for 5 years, for regular income to his children, like pension. He/she does not want the children to get lump sum or bigger chunk of money when he dies. Obviously he/she is not interested in life insurance.

Is there any suitable scheme available for the purpose, from any company what so ever?

Posted on October 3rd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, the best option is Senior Citizen Saving Scheme or the POMIS !

Posted on October 4th, 2012

shantanu singh says:

I am 34 yrs old and am looking forward to a suitable pension plan that will cover my wife and me. I really dont what is a ” Good Pension amount” whenever i retire.Currently,I am working for an MNC based out of Gurgaon.

Awaiting your response.

Posted on October 11th, 2012

Atul says:

Very Good article & informative.

I am 45 years old & after the age of 60 I need 50K per month.
Considering that how about following my plan.
a. Accumulate 25 lakhs in next 6 years & then put that amount in FD for next 10years ( it will become 50lakhs atleast)
b. Invest in PPF, MF & SIP till age of 60 continusly 1lakh every year.
So at the age of 60 I will have more than 80 lakh.

Is this plan is Ok or I need to look in to other options also.

Atul

Posted on October 14th, 2012

Atul

Discuss this on our forum – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on October 16th, 2012

Ripul says:

Thnaks for such a nice article… Don’t you think NPS is a better option in current scenario wherein all other funds are asking for very high Fund management charges whereas NPS is very very less as compared to them… NPS also distributes the investment as per our need in Equity/Corp Debt/Gov. Securities….. I think we can accumulate similar way as in MF SIP with NPS….
About Annuity, I expect it to change over the time… Considering my current age of 32, I can still accumulate in both NPS and PPF alongwith obviosuly some of the MF for the retirement purpose…

Just putting out my thoughts…. Would like to get your suggestion on the same….

Posted on October 26th, 2012

hasan says:

i want to invest 25ooo a month for say 22 years is there any plan which could give me an amount in crores at the end of 22 years

Posted on October 26th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Use a calculator here http://www.jagoinvestor.com/calculator

Posted on October 27th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Do you know how the NPS will give you the pension , at what rate ? If you do not have clarity on that, will you still like to invst ?

Posted on October 27th, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

I am having 2 Insurance polices, mentioned below:
(1) ICIC Pru Guaranteed Saving Insurance Plan
– Payment term = 10 years
– Policy term = 20 years
– Premium = 50,000 per year
– Permium paid till date = 50,000
– Current age = 32

(2) LIC Jeevan Tarang:
– Payment term = 20 years
– Premium = 50,000 per year
– Permium paid till date = 50,000
– Current age = 32

Due to some reason I want to discontinue 1 of the above policy, can you please guide me which one is good to continue amoungs above 2?

Please help.

Thanks, Nitin

Posted on October 30th, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

Please help me in this as today is the last day of payment!!

I am having 2 Insurance polices, mentioned below:

– Premium = 50,000 per year
– Permium paid till date = 50,000
– Current age = 32

Thanks, Nitin

Posted on October 31st, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Cant be decided like this in a flash , you need to give more info about the cost and expenses charged by them .

Posted on November 2nd, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

I took both these polices almost on same time last year and paid 50,000 Rs. for each of them (payment for 2011).

Both these polices are 1 year old, so will be getting nothing (I guess) if discontinue any of them.

Please let me know what else you want to know?

Thanks, Nitin

Posted on November 2nd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes mostly you will not get anything till 3 yrs , I am sure about LIC one , but with ICICI one , better check what happens with you surrender before 3 yrs from their customer care or from your brochure !

Also Check what you can do in next set of years , can you make a better return compared to the default option ? If yes, then better stop them .

Also from next time, think and analyse things BEFORE , not AFTER !

Posted on November 2nd, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

Thanks for your reply.
About ICICI policy, surrender before 3 year should be same as in LIC Jeevan Tarang policy.

Now, please advice what to do now:
1) Amongs above two, which policy should I discontinue?
OR
2) Should I discontinue both of them and invest 50,000 per year in some other scheme like PPF.

Please suggest some good options for investment which will give good return as comparied to above to policy.

Your kind help is required in this.

Many Thanks, Nitin

Posted on November 6th, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

Please spend 2 mins for me and help me to go further in right direction.

Many Thanks in advance.
Nitin

Posted on November 9th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Tell me whats your query !

Posted on November 12th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

I would go with 2nd option !

Posted on November 12th, 2012

Nitin Kumar says:

Choosing option 2 means loss investment 50,000+50,000 = 1 lac rupees.
If its worth to bear this loss and invest that amount in some other scheme, then

Regards, Nitin

Posted on November 14th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes i know its tough ., but you need to look at the whole future , evaluate both ioptions . I want you to do a bit of maths !

Posted on November 15th, 2012

jaya says:

My husband is 54 and working in the hospitality sector with a salary of Rupees 8 lakhs/annum. My age is 46.
1. Could you suggest a retirement plan for us? (I fear that we are already late in thinking about a retirement investment)
2. Also a very good mediclaim policy which would also cover out patient costs> We have a mediclaim of New India assurance but it doesn’t cover the expensive medical routine tests we have to conduct from time to time.

Thanks for your time!

Posted on November 22nd, 2012

Jaya

1. Its late now . At age 54 and 46 , you cant take the best of compounding , now you will have to settle for Balanced Funds or some more secure options . I would suggest that still take advantage of equity now and invest in mutual funds with 10 yrs view . While the fluctuations can happen , its the only good bet you guys have .

2. the policies which pay for regular expenses and checkups will be a different kind of health plan , it will mostly be a membership card and not a policy which will charge a small amount .

Posted on November 25th, 2012

Amit Kabra says:

I am doing my own financial planning, I was just looking for my retirement plans, my query is what is the best plan for maximum returns.
In other words, I want to keep investing in the plan till retirement ( I am 27 now, retirement age is 60 for me, so I will keep investing in it till 33 more years ) without pulling out money in between.

I am looking for plan that can give me maximum returns be it lic or any thing else say fd or anything ?

Please reply once you get time.

Posted on November 25th, 2012

Jaya says:

Thanks Manish! Please advise how much we should invest and which Mutual fund is the best bet!

Posted on November 26th, 2012

Jaya

How can I invest how much you should invest ? It totally depends on your capacity !

Posted on November 30th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Dont look for some kind of “policy” . All you need is SIP in mutual funds !

Posted on November 30th, 2012

Arun M says:

This is a good article and should be an eye opener to even the educated folks like us who sometimes get taken in by the marketing. I am 45 yrs old and would like to build
a sustainable income after 15 years. I don’t have any sort of loan and have about Rs.50 lcas invested in deposits. I am working and have invested in some Mfs. Seeking advise on how to invest so I can achieve my future financial goals.

Arun

Posted on January 3rd, 2013

Arun

There are few ways we have listed down to create a regular income out of a corpus , lets see if its useful to you – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2011/11/10-income-generation-methods-india.html

Posted on January 3rd, 2013

Dev Bhat says:

What about ICICI’s Systematic Retirement Solution Plan which is also called as Wealth Builder. They promise that the principal amount will not go down although the investments are made into MFs. We can withdraw money after 5 years or leave it for getting pension later even for spouse or child after the death of the insurance holder.

Posted on January 14th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I would advice for plain Mutual funds. All these products at the end of the day use the underlying mutual funds only

Posted on January 14th, 2013

Durai says:

My Age – 37

Plan to pay 60,000 per year , for 10 years. in LIC any good pension plan

after 10 years , How much i will get the pension amount ?
How long(years) I will get pension ?

Thanks in Advance

Posted on January 16th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

It would depend on the type of plan . why do you want to go for pension plans even after reading this article ?

Posted on January 18th, 2013

ratesh sabherwal says:

I was thinking of investing in ICICI Retirement Income Solution where they are promising the return of 9.5 % after the lapse of the stipulated period.

Can you please advice?
If not this, then some decent investment propositions.

Posted on January 19th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Is it gauranteed , mentioned on papers ?

Posted on January 19th, 2013

Arun says:

I am planning to start investing money(50k/annum) on Yearly basis for approx 5-10 years and expecting decent returns on a monthly basis something like retirement plan, so i want to know which investment option best suits for me????

Posted on January 28th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Only when you would like to deploy the money you should be finding those options .. Are you looking for income right now ?

Posted on January 30th, 2013

Arun says:

Nope, not right away but in 5 to 10 years

Posted on February 5th, 2013

Prasanth Kumar YSL says:

I was totally confuse. I am 29 now. I can Invest an amount of 50K/Month. I want more and safe returns . I need a policy now which would help me to keep my finance good after 10 years. Means 10 yrs * 50K = 5L. So please suggest me the policy that would help me.

Thanks in Advance.

Posted on February 5th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

There cant be anything which will be SECURE and HIGH returns , you have to compromise on something .. the best thing I can tell is equity mutual funds !

Posted on February 6th, 2013

ravish kamat says:

Hi manish, myself is ravish i am 26 yrs. of age. i want to do a pension plan for 15 years duration, want to retire at age of 40 yrs. i can invest 70 thousand a year. pls suggest and give me advice which is best and secure plan interms of company wise

please repl

Posted on February 14th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

After reading the article also you want to invest in a pension plan ?

Posted on February 18th, 2013

ravish kamat says:

Manish, i am totally confused where to invest, pls guide me..pension plans are not good one to invest, pls suggest me concreate plan

Posted on February 20th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

For which purpose ? What is your goal and the time horizon ?

Posted on February 21st, 2013

Ravish kamat says:

Hi manish
i want to do a pension plan for duration of 20 years, my age is 26 now, i can easily invest 70 thousand per anum, i have no loans on me..so please suggest me in which compnay pension plan should i buy with good return

my investment will be rs. 14 lakh for 20 years…so which co. pension plan will be trustworthy and with good return

waiting for u r repl

Posted on February 21st, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Better stay away from pension plans .. they are just a myth . Why dont you accumulate your money in some mutual fund and then in future create an income out of the corpus ?

Posted on February 21st, 2013

Sree Charan says:

Hi Manish, Wow, Great Work, Hats off to you..

I am 25 now, planning to have a retirement investment i.e, fixed one time return at the age of 60, 35 years from now, with low risk, and with monthly fixed contribution.

After looking at different posibilties, I think an RD with a Public Sector Bank for 420 month with Monthly installment of 10k @ ROI 8% would be the best one.

Also, RD doesnt attract TDS.

Could you plz guide me weather is it a proper idea, or should I think of alternatives..

Posted on February 21st, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

RD will not attract TDS, but tax is still to be paid .

Posted on February 25th, 2013

Vishal says:

I am 32 & I have ivested in term plan, and investing in HDFC Equity – Growth, HDFC Mid cap – Growth, ICICI Focussed Bluechip, UTI Equity, SBI Magnum to the tune of 10,000/ month in total in all these funds, do i still need to invest in Pension plans or any other plans. my target for retirement is 4 – 5 Crores.

Vishal

Posted on February 26th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I think you are on right path . Just that you need to keep upgrading your investment amount in few years . just dont fix it to 10k per month !

Posted on February 27th, 2013

Vishal says:

Thank you for replying, just one last thing my monthly household expenditure is 22k to 25k, please tell me if have set the right goal of 4-5 crores for my retirement to maintain my current lifestyle.

Vishal

Posted on February 27th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Use this to calculate http://www.jagoinvestor.com/calculators/html/Retirement-Calculator.html

Posted on March 1st, 2013

tekchand says:

Are both the death benefit and fund value payable under ICICI’s Systematic Retirement Policy or just the higher of the two in case death occurs before completion of term of 5 years

Posted on March 6th, 2013

tekchand says:

Hi, Manish. In your review you seem to have lost sight of insurance cover that the pension plans provide. You may agree that with insurance cover they are not all that bad. Plus, since the insurance companies are reluctant to market these plans due to stringent IRDA norms, it implies it is beneficial to the persons opting for them. No?

Posted on March 6th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Normally most of the pension plans do not come with life insurance .. I am not sure which plans you are talking about ? Can you tell me more about such options .. also the point of the article, is they are not the best products you can buy with your resources !

Posted on March 8th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

What kind of plan is it ? Is it a ULIP ?

Posted on March 8th, 2013

tekchand says:

Thanks for prompt reply. God bless you. I am 64 and have taken a plan called ICICI Prudential Systematic Retirement Solution. Premium is 60K pa and sum assured is 6L. Premium term is 5 years and policy term 10 years. Agent told me I can have my money back with some appreciation after 5 years or may continue. As an expert with ability to read b/w lines, kindly advise if I have done the right thing. My free look has not yet started.

Posted on March 9th, 2013

RANIL RAGHAVAN says:

Excellent article.
I was searching for a good advice for my retirement.
Your article is very informative, but for me it is now bit confusing and need your advice.

I am 42 yrs old and did not start anything for my retirement. I am employed abroad and looking for a good plan. I used the calculator and was confused with all the details needed there. please advice me as I am layman when it comes to finances and investments.

I want to retire at 60, and with the same standard of leaving as of now.
My current monthly expenses is around 1.5 lacs INR. Will do invest as you suggest.
Also is it possible for me to operate from aboard any plans what you will be suggesting.

Do I need to have life cover and critical illness plan also. If so which one to take.

Note:I am in UAE.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time

Posted on March 10th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I would say better start your investments in mutual funds . That can be done from UAE itself !

Posted on March 13th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Its mostly ok I would say .. get the details here at http://mideastportfolio.com/insurance/WB_sample.pdf

I would have said it was much better if you could save in plan FD ! , but this is ok .

Posted on March 13th, 2013

Ashish Kumar Yadav says:

I was really very upset after taking a HDFC unit linked pension plan-II I use to pay Rs 12000 yearly I had being paying it for last 4 years but still when I calculate I find that the return which I am getting is much less than what I had invested few of my friends say to continue with it for its term period of 30 years I am 28 years old I am very confused whether to surrender my policy or should pay for few more years..one thing more I found that my entire money is invested in Growth fund…should I switch my funds in other funds such as liquid,equity, ..or in other funds…kindly guide I don’t know anything about finance.

Kind Wishes
Ashish

Posted on March 17th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I think you should stop it now and take the tough decision .. better invest in simple product like a mutual fund .

Posted on March 19th, 2013

RANIL RAGHAVAN says:

Thanks Manish for your advice.

Posted on March 21st, 2013

Sajitha says:

i want to know if a put 300000 in some retirement plan what monthly income would i get after 15 yrs ,Which is the best one

Posted on March 24th, 2013

valsan says:

I am 55. I had taken a policy from ICICI in 2004 with premium 1 lakh per year upto 2013 (scheduled for last premium). policy name is life time pension II. Can you guide me which option of annuity I should take on completion in next year; what is the monthly return i get?

Posted on March 25th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

The exact amount will be told to you by the company only

Posted on March 27th, 2013

Valsan says:

Thanks for the reply Mr. Manish Chauhan:
I would like to know how this annuity works; whether this will be better than just depositing the whole amount in a bank in term deposits? this is to decide to continue this plan.
valsan

Posted on March 27th, 2013

around 10-12k per month

Posted on March 27th, 2013

santosh says:

Can you pl. guide me, which is the best ‘ immediate annuity pension plan’ from available plans. I saw there are Jeevan Akshay from LIC, SBI Life – Annuity Plus, and Immediate Annuity from ICICI Prudiential. Kindly share your openion or suggest best available plan for immediaty annuity.

Regards.

Posted on March 28th, 2013

Jagdish says:

Thanks a lot for this informative article. I am 30 and living in london. I am told several times by many friends not to invest in FD or such pension plans as most of the mutual funds will deliver more than that in long term, however they also mention that it is important to juggle your funds every few years to ensure you are invested in a high yield scheme.
However not being in india and not very aware of what funds to go for this becomes difficult for me. So the reason I go for FD and such plans is because in a way I know the money is safe and returns a guaranteed yield.

What do you advise for people in my situation?

Posted on March 28th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

You dont need a lot of thinking in picking the funds .. I think you should put some money in mutual funds also

Posted on April 3rd, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

We dont think pension plans in market should be taken .

Posted on April 3rd, 2013

Ankit says:

Hi Meena/ Ankit,

Were you able to get the pension transferred from UK to India?

Posted on April 9th, 2013

Nancy says:

I had invested Rs. 15,00,000 in Aviva Pension Plus regular – Unit linked which matured this year. Since I was not keep a tab , I missed the maturity date and am not compelled to withdraw justt 1/3 of the amount and compulsarily convert the balance into an Annuity Plan.

Pension Plans are a complete disappointment , personally I find this a scam and completely agree with you that Mutual Funds and FDs are the way to go.

Now that I am forced to convert it into an Annuity, I will choose a 5years plan but could you please direct which company I should go with – Aviva, LIC, ICICI Prudential?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted on April 24th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Why did you choose it before hand if this was the case ? I would say look at LIC or ICICI pru for annuity .

Posted on April 26th, 2013

Nancy says:

I missed the maturity date and now Aviva will only allow me to withdraw 1/3 of the amount and convert the rest into Annuity. Since I need the money and don’t really need a life long pension plan; I will take the 5 years Annuity Plan with LIC or ICICI

Posted on April 26th, 2013

Sreenivas says:

I am 42 and thinking of a retirement plan/pension plan. I saw your articles about various pension plans.

Is it advisable to invest on real estate (buying a property and enjoy tax benefits and also get the monthly rent as income) than pension plans OR PPF?

Whatever I plan to pay every months as premium for pension plan OR PPF, I can divert it as EMI for Housing loan.

Please advise and provide some calculations to understand the returns.

Thanks – Sreeni

Posted on April 27th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Its not an easy question to answer. Both options have pros and cons.

Posted on May 6th, 2013

Arun says:

Reg your article on Pension Plans, I feel there is no justification on investing(wasting money in Pension plans.
At the end of period one can withdraw only 1/3rd. Reg balance the corpus remains with the company and one getis the hardly 6/7% which is the customers money on which company is enjoying and investor is cheated.

Posted on May 15th, 2013

The Investment Thread - Page 58 - BCMTouring says:

[…] life with 10 year guarantee). You may look at following sites for more info on Indian annuities: Best pension plans in india ? Disadvantages and Advantages Immediate annuity products getting competitive, but choose carefully – […]

Posted on May 18th, 2013

Yes Arun

Thats exactly what we believe

Posted on May 18th, 2013

sam says:

I am planning some monthly income after 12 years.I would like to know if I invest rs 7 lacs as a one time premium retirement solution from some life insurance and get returns after 12 yrs is it better than a FD for the same amount.

What are the pros and cons. please give your feedback

Posted on May 30th, 2013

Better go for FD

Posted on May 31st, 2013

Vivek says:

Lets say, the corpus at maturity is 1 crore. Of this 60 lakhs is paid to the investor and 40 lakhs is converted into Annuity with an return of 5% p.a.

Firstly, 40 lakhs is non-refundable and 5% return is ridiculous.

Even a layman can use the 40 lakhs and deposit in Bank FD fetching 8+ % p.a. Moreover, the 40 lakhs is repayble whereas in pension products or for that matter NPS, the 40 lakhs is non-refundable.

Manish, Is my above understanding correct.

Posted on June 10th, 2013

Correct :)

Posted on June 14th, 2013

Vivek says:

In that case, What is the benefit by opting for pension plans ????

Why companies are emotionally promoting such faulty products ????

I don’t see any reason to opt for pension plans…

I can become my own Fund Manager and generate more revenues than any other FM’s.

By making NPS mandatory for employees, the Govt. is robbing the investors in broad day light….This is a White collar crime….NPS for employees should be optional.

Posted on June 16th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

True , thats the whole article is about !

Posted on June 22nd, 2013

T SRIKANTA RAO says:

Hello

I have taken a pension plan for 5 year term called freedom 58 from Birla Sunlife at an age of 23 and i am in 4th year.

I have questions

1. It say vesting age is 28, what does it mean?
2. As per Birla sunlife vesting age means i have to wait for 28 years from the date of policy (that i will get my pension at 23 + 28 = 51 age). Is it true?
3. Is it better to quit becoz my fund value is low with a difference of Rs 10000/- from the actual paid.

Kindly guide.

T SRIKANTA RAO

Posted on July 4th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Did you read the policy document ?

Posted on July 5th, 2013

Ravi kumar says:

Can overseas Citizens of India buy Pension plan in India. I am planning to buy LIC’s Jeevan Akshay V1 immediate annuity Scheme. If yes, what are the documents that i need to produced ?How to go about ? Please advice & with Complete details

Posted on July 18th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I think you can buy it, you will actually have to look at the product brochure if NRI’s are allowed or not .

Posted on July 18th, 2013

Shiva.K says:

As usual….. Thanks for posting insights for pension scheme….. and infact you are saving lot of people’s wealth with your valuable insights…. Appreacite your effort in answering everyone’s questions here…. :) ..thanks

Posted on August 12th, 2013

S K GUPTA says:

I have two unit linked HDFC pension plan one HDFC Unit linked pension scheme started in year 2007 (Rs30000/- yearly premium) and second HDFC Pension super started in year 2010( Rs 20000/– yearly premium). Policy terms for both policy is 10 years. Please advise whether I should continue with these policies or surrender it.I know I will be loosing money but do not want to loose further. My age is 54 years.

Regards .

S.K.Gupta

Posted on August 15th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Continue with them in that case !

Posted on August 21st, 2013

welcome

Posted on August 21st, 2013

sivani says:

I am 32 years old and earn Rs 50,000 a month. I plan to retire when I’m 60 years old and would like to have a pension of Rs 40,000 a month (at today’s prices). How much do I need to save every month to be able to achieve this?

Posted on September 7th, 2013

Sumeet Sood says:

Well done…keep it up…

Posted on September 15th, 2013

Sivani

Posted on September 18th, 2013

sivani says:

Let me know the best pension plan available over the market

Posted on September 18th, 2013

sivani says:

I am not clear :HAve you read my 2nd book ? We have explained how to calculate this for your retirement .”what you have been talking over ?I would like to know the vendors available over pension plan & the premium .let me know in detail

Posted on September 18th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I suggest you open a thread to discuss it here – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum

Posted on September 25th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Looks like I got it confused with some other question . Do one thing open a thread here – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum

Posted on September 25th, 2013

shaheen says:

I would like to know that is it possible to withdraw all the money in a LIC annuity plan if the annuitant requires the money for some reason? If yes then what is the procedure to do so ?

Posted on November 5th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Which product are you talking about ?

Posted on November 12th, 2013

shaheen says:

LIC ANNUITY PLAN

Posted on November 12th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Almost all the traditional plans have high costs , can you share what has been your returns till date ?

Posted on November 12th, 2013

shaheen says:

Manish why do you want to know about the returns? Its just about an annuity plan of LIC.

Posted on November 12th, 2013

DILIP says:

I wish, I read thius article and had these information six years back. In 2007, I decided to invest in HDFC Standard Life’s Pension Plus plan. This being an ULIP, has not given me any return so far. I mean, I have invested over INR 1.6 lakhs so far, and its market value is at the same level. But If I would have invested in FD/PPF/NSC or RD account, then it would have given me a 8%+ return!

Please advise, if it makes sense to discontinue this plan and get the money out.

regards,
Dilip

Posted on November 13th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

I think its better to get out of the product , not just because of its performance, but your relationship with this product. I would suggest investing in something which you understand in and out !

Posted on November 14th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Oops .. I am sorry , I misunderstood your question . I assume that you are talking about the LIC plan where you have yourself invested and not which is linked to your employment . Normally these products have some lock period , can range from 3-5 yrs . Whats in your case ? Can you look at your policy document ?

Posted on November 14th, 2013

shaheen says:

Its ok. Actually my mother has an annuity plan (which was from her school’s side where she was a teacher) and LIC has refused to give back the money saying that only the nominee will get the money after the policy holder’s death.

Posted on November 15th, 2013

mathew sabu says:

I have Jeevan Tarang Lic policy and paying premium of Rs.25000 per annum for the past three years. I received Rs 72000 as bonus from the company 3 months back. Do you think still it is not good return and I need to surrender this policy .

Posted on November 30th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Thats a great return … You can continue if this trend is continued ! .

Posted on December 12th, 2013

jothy kumar says:

Hai Maneesh,

Am 27 year old single man.currently am investing 500ruppes through SIP to UTI retirement benefit pension fund(last 1 year).I s it good for my future,i would like to retire on 60yers.if it is not good suggest a good pension plan.

Posted on December 19th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Its a good option compared to other traditional options , BUt dont you think Rs 500 is very small amount ?

Posted on December 25th, 2013

Sunil Bhogle says:

This is really informative, actually I don’t have any idea about investment, can you please suggest me?? my age is 33, married, and my monthly income is 25000, I would like to invest for my retirement in 55-60.

Posted on February 4th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

While its decided as per your goals, but anyways I would suggest Mutual funds to you

Posted on February 14th, 2014

Sridhar says:

Hi

I am 33 married, I have to ULIP from Birla Sunlife started in 2006 and 2007 Flexi Life line products. I see one of them has break even after 7 years and other is just going to break even shortly. Do you think, I should continue to invest in this product? I pay 5K and 4k per month on these ULIP’s. Should I remove them and invest in some other funds. I have UTI retirement SIP of 1K which has given me consistent return and I am happy about it

Posted on February 21st, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

Better get out of this, and rethink your investments

Posted on March 3rd, 2014

Anjan says:

Why do you think your NPS contributions will go to waste? Where is all this logic coming from? NPS is a very powerful retirement scheme and unlike any other pension plan or even mutual funds for that matter, its maintenance charges are ridiculously low, to the point where no distributor wants to open an NPS account as they hardly get any commission out of it, which means you get the max out of your investments.

In NPS you have the power to control how much percentage of your investment should go to equity (upto max 50% to protect against market downturns) and how much in debt (upto 100%). This is a fantastic way to rebalance your portfolio as you will never hit red even during the bad times.

Its true that you are not sure of the final returns as nothing is guaranteed but where is the guarantee in Mutual Funds or even Fixed Deposits for that matter? Are the fixed deposit interest rates same today as they were 20 years back? Heck even PPF rates came down from 12% to 8% and is now 8.7%. And if mutual funds have generated good returns for you by the time you retire, you can be sure that your NPS corpus too will have gained nicely if you allocated 50% to equity.

Nobody should be so foolish as to put all eggs in one basket like MF or PPF. Its a great thing that a small part of your salary is going to your NPS account.

Just a point of note, if you want absolute guaranteed fixed returns for life, then your only option is to deposit lumpsum amount in an immediately annuity product at an early age. Nothing else is guaranteed for life.

Posted on April 6th, 2014

Ashish says:

I have a question about Pension plan.
Can a person take multiple times “Immediate annunity plan” that pays pension every month. Say is it possible that I buy an immediate annunity plan every year. Are there any hurdles in it ?

Posted on May 3rd, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

You can do that .. but what will you achieve out of this ? Why do you want to do that ?

Posted on May 7th, 2014

Ashish says:

Thanks for the reply Manish.
I have 4 reasons for doing so as listed below. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. There is no surety of job for next 15-20 years, so I dont want get into the deferred annuity plan where if I fail to pay the premium because of job loss, I may have to pay penalty. These companies are no better than builders who will use the same reason to play against me.

2. Even If I have the job for next 15-20 years, there may be conditions where I may need money for some other purpose and may not be able to pay the premium.

3. Today we are getting 7.5% on the lumpsum paid but the same percentage is decreasing year after year, so I want to lock as much amount as I can at this rate as I do not have the entire amount now.

4. This method of buying every year gives flexibility. I can buy for whatever amount I am comfortable with. No compulsion of paying a fixed amount.

Posted on May 10th, 2014

Rajesh says:

Hi

This is very useful article. I am 32 years and having annual income of < 3lak. Please suggest me the best pension policy.

Rajesh.N

Posted on May 20th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

Better invest in mutual funds and not some policy !

Posted on May 29th, 2014

Aravind says:

I have been investing in a Max New York Life ULIP Rs 18000/- per year since Jan 2005 for the last 10 years, including this year (2014). The maturity period of my ULIP is still 2020, but if I want I can withdraw the corpus even now.
My agent told me that so far I have invested 1,80,000 (over 10 years) and the market value/investment value of my investment is now (2,55858/-) on Jun 19th 2014 .

1) Is this increase to Rs 2,55,858 after 10 years a significantly good increase ?
Would you recommend I continue it or withdraw the corpus, close the ULIP and put this in a monthly SIP of a good MF ?
2) if I were to invest Rs 18000/- every year for 10 years in an FD, would I have got better returns through the FD than through this ULIP ?

I would very much appreciate your expert opinion on this which will helpme plan my investments in future.

Aravind.

Posted on June 19th, 2014

Hi Aravind

Its not a great return over all .. Its an average return I would say, but then ULIP;s are like that and you are actually lucky to get a positive return . I think you can keep going ..

Posted on July 3rd, 2014

Aravind says:

Fine as you advise. I shall keep it.
Also, I have another query- I need to start retirement planning and am 36.
I understand from many of your replies to different people that ULIP’s are not as good for retirement planning as Mutual Fund SIP’s (systematic investment plan). Is that right ?

WConsidering a 24 year period, which is the best retirment plan would you suggest for me to generate consistent and max returns ?

Aravind.

Posted on July 14th, 2014

Aravind Sridhar says:

I have another query- I need to start retirement planning and am 36.

Considering that I have 24 years more to retire, what is be the best retirement mutual fund SIP plan you would suggest for me to generate consistent and max returns over a 20-30 year horizon- can you recommend any good fund for me ?
Kindly reply.

Aravind.

Posted on July 23rd, 2014

Shripad K Hamdapurkar says:

Hi Mr. manish,

This was really a nice article. I always remains in puzzle about these investment plans. Actually I have invested in ICICI prulife pension plan – Life stage assure plan for last 4 years. Should I continue to this because I am not finding any promising returns rather I am thinking to switch over to PPF. Also I would like to seek your advise about Mutual funds. How should I select those.

Thanks & Regards,
Shripad K H

Posted on August 21st, 2014

ICICI Prudential Life Insurance says:

Dear Mr. Hamdapurkar,

We are sorry to hear your concern. We request you to help us with your contact and policy details to assist you .

Alternatively, you may also post your concern along with your policy details on https://onlinelifeinsurance.iciciprulife.com/digital/ipru/GrievanceRedressal.htm?execution=e2s1
Request you to quote the reference number 048327_aaiu whilst sharing the details. Post receipt of the requirement, our representative will get in touch with you within 48 hours.

Posted on August 22nd, 2014

Atul Mishra says:

Hi drjak,

I know this post is too old. Let me know if you are still considering the transfer. The points you mentioned above are not correct i m afraid. Also whether a UK pension transfer is better off or not, to India or Offshore are some of the many factors to be analyzed first before taking a decision. Each and every case is unique and has to be carefully examined and depends a lot on your current personal circumstances and future financial objectives.

Posted on September 16th, 2014

Atul Mishra says:

Whether a UK pension transfer is better off or not, to India or Offshore are some of the many factors to be analyzed first before taking a decision. Each and every case is unique and has to be carefully examined and depends a lot on your current personal circumstances and future financial objectives, residency status, etc.
Besides, there are various limitations imposed by IRDA on pension schemes here that may affect the growth of the funds in Indian QROPS. On vesting age one has to compulsorily buy an annuity and hand over all your money to an insurance company in lieu of set rate of interest income. There will be absolutely no scope of growth of funds thereafter. Considering immediate annuity will first have to pass the test of non-uk residency status ( the 5 year rule) to avoid penalties by HMRC in terms of unauthorised payments. There is also a 10 year reporting rule by QROPs to HMRC. Any scheme not following the permissible pension rules may attract heavy penalties by HMRC on such unauthorised transfers. Merely being listed on the HMRC site DOES NOT make a QROPS authorised or recognised by HMRC.

Posted on September 16th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

Surely you can invest in debt funds or balanced funds . But first understand what are these products and only then invest.

Posted on September 20th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

There is no single fund which you can invest for 24 yrs , You will have to review them from time to time . For such a long term , you can invest in indix funds

Posted on September 21st, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

As an asset class, you should be in Equity with lesser charges . ULIP also is an equity class product, but comes with higher charges. So better invest in mutual funds or direct stocks

Posted on September 21st, 2014

Raghavebdra says:

I stumbled on this article is quite timely. This analysis is exactly what I was expecting to read.

I have invested six annual premiums in HDFC Pension Champion with four more to go (I am 56 now). I am now thinking if it was the best retirement investment option for me.

Do you strongly suggest that I surrender/withdraw and invest in MF or PPF?

Thanks.

Posted on November 19th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

I am not sure exactly what your situation is , and how much will you get back . But surely you are not into the best option .

Posted on November 21st, 2014

Raghavendra says:

To give you some specific details so that you may advise me better:

1. I am 56 now
2. I started the HDFC Pension Champion when I was 52.
3. Annual premium is Rs. 2 lakhs
4. The term is 10 years
4. I have so far paid 5 installments of premium=Rs. 10 lakhs
5. The current Fund Value of my investment (10 lakhs) is Rs. 13.30 lakhs
6. No surrender charge after the 5th policy anniversary

If I surrender the policy, which investment option would be good for me considering:

1. Growth of capital