Return of Premium Term Insurance , Is it Worth !!

Term Insurance is the best form of Insurance , but why not take “Return of Premium Term Insurance” Policy , which is same as Term Insurance , but with return of all your premiums back , in case you do not die :) , Which is better is a common question now ? Let us do simple maths and analysis our self . If you know little bit of maths , you can be far better than many by analysing things your self . So how do we find out which is better ? “Simple Term Insurance” OR “Return of Premium Term Insurance”

Its too simple to find out . Just try to come up with a plan which beats or does better than “Return of Premium Term Insurance” , If you can beat it , than Simple Term Insurance is better else its not !!

Let us take an example scenareo …

ING Vyasa has a “Return of Premium Term Insurance” plan called as ING TERM LIFE PLUS” , click on the “Benefit Illustration” link in the middle of the page and it gives a following example for regular premium .

Company also provides two types of payements :

a) Mid Term Benefit: On the Life Assured surviving to half the policy
term, the Company will return 40% of the regular premium or 20%
of the single/limited premium, as the case may be, excluding the
extra premiums if any paid by the Policyholder.

b) Maturity Benefit: On the Life Assured surviving to maturity, the
Company will return the total premiums paid without interest,
after deducting the policy mid term benefit and extra premiums if
any paid by the Policyholder

So the numbers look like this :

Age : 35 yrs
Total Duration : 20 yrs
Cover : 12,00,000 (12 Lacs)
Yearly Premium : 10,653
Maturity Amount : 213060 (amount he paid during 20 yrs , 10653 * 20)
Death Benefit : 12 Lacs

Can we achieve the same thing or better with 10,653 per year ?

Lets take a simple Term Insurance + PPF combo

From Religare Aegon , I got that Insurance premium for 35 yrs old for amount of 12 lacs and duration of 20 yrs is Rs 3721 (after tax) .

So if we pay 3721 out of 10,653 for Insurance , we are left with Rs 6932 (10,653 – 3721) .

If we invest this Rs 6932 per year in PPF for 20 yrs , @8% , we would get 3.4 Lacs . Which beats ING amount of 2.1 lacs . Now this is the safest way of beating it . No questions behind it !! .

With SIP in mutual funds

For a investor who can invest it in Mutual funds through SIP , assuming a acceptable 12% return , it would be around 6.9 lacs in 20 yrs .

Now the question is what is the benefit of “Return of Premium Term Insurance Plans” ?

Ans : No benefit , Now a days Insurance companies have realised that people are understanding the importance of Term Insurance , so the next idea for them was to build something on top of Term Insurance , give a “feel” to customers that “they don’t loose on premiums also” and present a product which looks “irresistible” to them . But they forget that there is something called as “Maths” in this world .

Conclusion : So If you have to take Insurance , Just go for plain Term Insurance , Dont go for Return of Premium Term Insurance , There premiums are too high .. its always better to use extra money to make other investments :)

That’s all for now …

Comments/doubts/disagreements !!

Question for you : How will you deal with an agent who wants to sell you this product ? Or How will you even convince your friends who fell in the trap of these products ?

I have posted articles on Technical Analysis which teaches some simple things investors can use to Buy and Sell stocks , you can read Part 1 and Part 2 . I will soon come up with Part 3 and 4 .

Final Note : The best products in this world are “Simple” . I consider Term Insurance as product of the Century !! , nothing can beat it !! :) . Do simple maths with idiotic products which comes in markets , you will know if its worth or not .

By Manish Chauhan on April 3, 2009 · Posted in Life Insurance

Tags: , ,

235 Comments | Post Comment

income.portfolio says:

MC:
Couldn’t agree with you more! The simpler it is the better. All these financial engineering is a hoghwash to fill there own pockets.

It was a good read!!

Best Wishes,
TIP Guy

Posted on April 3rd, 2009

Thanks income.portfolio

Yes … You said it write … All that financial experts dont know more than informed investors like me and you all who are this blog readers …

Cheers :)

Posted on April 3rd, 2009

money says:

Hi all,Please have a look at this blog

For retail Investors and Traders this blog is very informative and all set at one place.

You can chat and share your thoughts on markets,Direct links to all useful sites and Blogs.

Moneyvistas Team.

Posted on April 4th, 2009

money says:

Hi all,Please have a look at this blog

Moneyvistas Team.

Posted on April 4th, 2009

Kishork says:

Manish, Thanks for the nice write up.

After all the “Gyan” I got for reading your and different blogs; I’m currently in market for a Term Plan.

1) I zeroed on SBI and “Aegon Religare” as the two potential companies that I would go for. Which one you think is better? (Only worry is that Aegon is newbie and SBI here to go nowhere).

2) Also, I need 20 lakh cover now, should I split them (Into multiple policies with multiple companies)? (So that I can discontinue one when I do not need that much cover?) If I split the premium would go up

3) Should go for Level Term Plan or Increasing Term Plan (Both SBI and AR offer it).
If I can go for Increasing Term Plan then probably I can avoid the spilt?

4) Lastly, do you know SBI and AR web sites include Service Tax in their premium calculations? (I can ask an agent, but they will suck my blood and ensure I take a wrong policy)

Your help would be much appreciated

Posted on April 5th, 2009

Kishork

1. Both are among “good” category .. personally i like Religare more … I personally have one policy with SBI , and this time I am going to take another Policy with Religare too .

2. Yes , its better to split up the policy in 2 companies … I am not sure if 20 lacs is sufficient for you , may be your would like to go up . Split it in atleast 2 companies …

3. Its your choice , You have to work out what suits you … See if you want your cover to go up every year or not … If yes , then you can go for increasing one .

4. AR also tells you total premium after tax , SBI does not … See the premium page .

Posted on April 5th, 2009

Yogi says:

I am regular audience to your blog.
I really appreciate your initiative.
I am looking forward to buy a house in another 6-8months timeframe.
If possible, please post some articles on
How to select right bank/institution for home loan?
what is better floating interest rate or flat rate?
What should be a good tenure of loan?
How much loan can be sanctioned based on an individual’s income?

…etc etc

Yogesh Tiwari

Posted on April 5th, 2009

Yogi

I am not joking , I truly bad in Real estate knowledge :) … I know little .. I will try to write something on it .. but cant promise ..

Posted on April 5th, 2009

Amarnath Awargaonkar says:

Whichever way you look at it a
TERM Plan +
SIP (Equity diversified) +
PPF is a super combo for every investor.
However i do not agree with the logic that in a falling market SIP is the worst thing. Infact a falling market always down averages the price and if you ride the downturn the profits are enormous whenever the markets move high.
The latest upsurge in the market only helped a disciplined investor i.e a sip holder and even if the market trade down from here the same will happen again. Markets will keep falling then stop make a base and surge ahead when things improve, only an sip holder in such a situation will have the advantage, nobody else. You have the PPF which ensures a steady guaranteed return.
The more complicated the products the more an investor loses.
With SEBI now removing entry load SIP is the best.

Posted on July 11th, 2009

@Amarnath

oops , where did i say that SIP is worst in falling markets , i said that for rising markets in some post , never for falling markets :)

I agree with all you said for falling markets and SIP in your comment . well done

Posted on July 11th, 2009

rakeshranjan says:

as i think that term insurance with SIP investment is more profitable. i have a good plan in whilch u can get insurance of 10000000 by paying just 1923/= per month. for more information contact me on+91- 9650055981

Posted on July 12th, 2009

@rakeshranjan

I am 26 yrs old (completed) and The best quote for me is from Aegon Religare at 21,000 per year fr 1 crore or (18,233 montly) After taxes .

Which plan is yours and how is it better than this ?

Posted on July 12th, 2009

Amarnath Awargaonkar says:

For a long time i was thinking on the super combo plan but never thought it was good untill i read your blog.
You are doing a great service to every small investor. Please keep it up. Your prompt response also has impressed me a lot.
As of now you can be assured that i am your regular reader. I will also recommend this blog to all my friends.
Keep it up buddy and may god bless you for your selfless service.

Posted on July 12th, 2009

Amarnath Awargaonkar says:

I am a govt. servant aged 35 years.
earning rs.28k a month.
I want to start a Term plan + SIP + PPF combo plan as discussed earlier and i will be able to invest in that for another 20 years.

I will start from August One 2009 an SIP of 5,000 as below:
1)DSP black rock Top 100 fund – 1.5K
2)Reliance RSF equity fund – 1.5K
3)ICICI Prudential infrastructure fund – 1K
4)Sundaram Select Mid cap fund – 1K

Additionaly,

5,000 more will go monthly in PPF. I have opened an PPF account in SBI recently.

I have a aegon religare term plan of 20Lacs,
I want to take another term plan what should be the cover? and which company do you suggest?
Also regarding the SIP what are your views regarding the above funds. If you have a better advise please tell.
If some additional information is needed i will provide it.
Thanks A Lot.

Posted on July 12th, 2009

@Amarnath

Mind Blowing ….. other word is "sweet and simple"

You have choose the perfect way .

SIP will give you good returns
PPF will help in stable and guaranteed returns .
Term Insurance will take care of Risk

and the fund you have choosen are great and that will help in diversifying .

Funds look good , You can also look for alternatives of ICICI Ifra Fund , even ICICI is great , the only think is look for other opportunity if exists .

I can sense that your Insurance requirement is around 40-50 lacs atleast . So you can go for 30 lac of more insurance , you can take it from SBI or Kotak etc . If you are in bangalore let me know i will connect you with my SBI agent , he is good :)

Posted on July 12th, 2009

Amarnath Awargaonkar says:

Thanks a lot your guidance as always is inspiring.
I do not live in bangalore but in aurangabad, maharashtra.
If you visit do come.
Our family also owns a hotel in aurangabad.
It goes by the name of Hotel Panchavati. We have a website also if you want to check out.The link is
I would gladly play host to a person who lends such important advise free of cost.
Cheers and keep it up.

Posted on July 14th, 2009

@Amarnath

I am glad for the Invitation :) . Definately i would meet you when I visit the place sometime :) .

Posted on July 14th, 2009

Rahul Nair says:

I am a manager with Aegon Religare based in Mumbai. You seem to rightly have a positive impression of Aegon even though its new in the Indian market. It would be great to have a talk on this some time.

Posted on August 17th, 2009

@Rahul

Yes , I like Aegon Religare a lot for the way it has taken Insurance sector . The premium is least but people are not aware of the company because of Public-private fear :)

Call me at 9886409654 or mail manish.pucsd@gmail.com . I am sure we can talk on this :)

Posted on August 17th, 2009

Vikas says:

Manish!

Once again Excellent post to read. If one can understand English language, they can not only understand what you write but also implement and use their common sense. No big hype. I am indeed your fan of "keep it simple" writings:-) Vikas

Posted on September 9th, 2009

@Vikas

Thanks a lot for your kind words :) . The more simple a concept or process is , the more appealing it becomes to masses and hence more important :) .

Posted on September 10th, 2009

Pravesh says:

Manish sir ! I am PSU employe and want to invest Rs 6000 monthly in TERM Plan +
SIP (Equity diversified) +
PPF . kindly advice me where to invest.

Posted on November 9th, 2009

@Pravesh

Depending on your age , you pay the yearly premiums for a term plan .

Total you have 72k in a year , so after paying for Insurance premiums , what ever is remaining you can divide that in PPF and SIP .
Choose 2-3 good Mutual funds from the list I have provided .

Posted on November 9th, 2009

Himanshu says:

I was searching for something else on google but got into your writings. Its simply amazing and the langauge is so simple that gives a feeling of live talk. In short, I have become your fan.

Now, can you please advise me on how to plan my investments. My details are -
Age – 29
Martial Status – Unmarried
Monthly Salary – 35K
Monthly exp – 12K

I have few insurance policies from LIC (premium 6331 p.a.), Relaince Life Insurance (15K p.a. – thoroughly useless policy) and every year I buy NSCs. I want to know
- which insurance co. is good to go for Term plan (coverage??)
- good funds for SIPs and how much would you advise (does this give any tax relief)
- any alternate for PPF?

Trust me , this will really help.

Thanks for all free advises buddy !! :-)

Himanshu
(Delhi)

Posted on December 17th, 2009

manish says:

Thanks for your comments

Here are the answers

Q : which insurance co. is good to go for Term plan (coverage??)
Ans : Depends on how you define “Good” .. If you are asking in Price term , then Aegon Religare is the cheapest (I would prefer to take from them) . If you are talking about Claim ratio then LIC is the best right now .. but i think thats obvious , we dont have others history , we dont know the claim settlement of Term Insurance , so i cant say anything .. its now a question of how comfortable you are with Pvt companies .. which i feel can be considered (should be considered) . Insurance sector is seeing some huge shifts now and IRDA is the bid daddy making sure there is no problem . So i recommend that you can just go for the cheapest one . Split your cover into 2 .

Q: good funds for SIPs and how much would you advise (does this give any tax relief)
A: There are ELSS funds (Tax saving mutual funds) which comes under sec 80C and give your tax benefit .it will get locked for 3 yrs . some good funds are Sundaram tax saver and HDFC taxsaver , you can also see other non tax saving funds at my article http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2009/08/list-of-best-equity-diversified-mutual.html

How much you should invest depends on your goals , classify each goal and find out what is the target amount and time and how much you need to invest per month .. you can find that info on my blogs itslef .. find it ;) ,

Q : any alternate for PPF?
Ans : EPF (your company PF) is another option , make sure you put max into your EPF , but still open a PPF account , 500 a year is nothing :)

Posted on December 17th, 2009

Himanshu says:

thanks dear….will keep on nagging you for some more financial advises. Trust you wont mind. ;-)
Cheers !!

Posted on December 17th, 2009

manish says:

Sure :)

Posted on December 17th, 2009

Patrick says:

Dear Investment Guide ,

Quick check…..for the nth time but am still caught in the maze…!!

I am 35, married with a kid of 3 years…. have an existing LIC Jeevan Shree for which I pay abt 25 k per annum the amount assured at the end of 16yrs is around 15 lacs, need a cover of about 85 lacs additional to make it a crore on my life since I have bought a property for a similar value.

I am stuck with the idea of giving up all the premium amounts for the next 20 years to a term policy in case I don’t kick the bucket !! So, I went around searching for ROP (return of Premium ) plans. The logic is, I want to get my money back in capital invested terms plus what ever more the insurance company wishes to return!!

Further up the rest of my savings are all towards SIPs/ ELSS / MFs for the last 7~8 years, so am pretty covered on that ground, since I always felt this was the best way to lower my cost of buying into market related instruments in tax efficient manner, instead of creating wealth through strangling ULIP plans !! Metlife gave me a decent offer of Met Suraksha TROP, in which I calculated that for 85 lacs of additional cover I need to pay around 50k for 20 yrs term and get a Guaranteed maturity return of my premiums paid, alongside with a 10% of the net premium paid as an additional guaranteed amount thrown in by the company over and above my net paid up premium amount.

This seems like a decent idea than getting a pure term for 85 lacs cover where I loose the entire money in case I do not pop it!! And moreover even if I pay a lower premium amount for a term plan and increase my investible surplus towards market related instruments barring PPF/ NSC/ RBI / FD /TD s, there is no one giving me a guarantee on the MF items!! (All of these debt instruments to my mind will not bear a decent return, in case you account for cost of inflation viz. CPI index in the net yield)

What would be an ideal mix in this case….would much appreciate your comments on this please.

P :-)

Posted on January 28th, 2010

manish says:

Patrick

there are some points I need more explainations.

You said that your LIC jeevan shree policy will pay you 15 lacs after 16 yrs with 25k per annum premium and thats “guaranteed” . Now it translates into 14.5% return annual . There is no LIC policy in this universe I know of which even beats inflation !! .

>>> r=.145
>>> 25000 * (1+r) * ((1+r) ** 16 – 1)/r
1525506.8714776561

Even we dont expect a return of 14.5% from equity forget LIC policies which are mainly debt .. It looks to me a misselling of LIC product which promise from agent who gave you illustration to you with fancy figures .. I wont be excited with your claims untill you confirm with me that your policy document says that its “guaranteed” and not “illustration figures” with different interest figures .
I dont think you will get more than 7.5 lacs from your policy at the end of 16 yrs . Kindly investigate .

Next thing is after going through this article, still you want to go with “return of premium term plans” .. Why ? What part do you disagree with on this article .

lets brainstorm :)

Posted on January 28th, 2010

Patrick says:

Thanks for your prompt response !!

Well I have re checked on these figures and spotted the error on my part while writing the blog note,apologies for that!! The returns guaranteed under this plan is 16 lacs at the end of 25 yrs, whereas my premium payment term for approx. 25 k per annum, is for 16 yrs only. So I pay a net total premium of around 5 lacs and get 16 lacs at the age of 52.

Now we have say around 15 lacs guaranteed cash flow at 52 and the next idea was to safeguard my property investment by taking an additional death cover of around 85lacs for which I am planning to buy an insurance….and hence the idea of buying ROP insurance plan.I am not here to disagree with any part of your blog, but I guess its a difference of risk appetite that we have here and hence while I am fighting the mental battle before signing up,and thats when I saw your blog!! While I agree the term will be a cheaper option, its also a full loss option if I don’t die, but ROP being almost double the cost for a similar death cover at least is giving my money back along with a meager return of 10% on premium paid amount.So here’s my take….

a) since I am not willing to part with my capital invested in a term plan which does not return anything back to me incase I don’t kick the bucket, ROP makes more sense.
b) The plan I have in hand from metlife suraksha is giving me a paltry additional top up of 10% of my net premiums paid on maturity.Well the returns are insignificant but still scores above a traditional term which will cost me much lesser and not even return my 4~5 lacs that I will have to shell out during this time frame.

While I am invested in the markets through other channels( SIP/ELSS etc.) the rest of my investible amount which is variable but certainly much higher than my premium amounts out together is of course growing at significant higher return rate, I am kind of convinced that in the event of my death between now and 60,whatever accumulation would occur ( insurance and investments added up) will add up to my dear to life event costs !

What’s your take??

Cheers

Posted on January 29th, 2010

Patrick says:

Thought through this and here’s my final QUERY !!

The difference amount between a Term and ROP plan for same death coverage amount and same term period, if invested in a recurring deposit will fetch me how much in 20 years?

Are the deposit rates and inflation rates going to be fixed through out??? so we can do the compounding calculation without any doubts. In case we get a fix on this figure and that is a guaranteed higher amount than the amount of premium paid in a term plan then this should help me find my fix to this debate !!!

Help solicited…… :-)

Cheers

Posted on January 29th, 2010

manish says:

Patrick

So if the term is 25 yrs , in that case the return works out to be around 7.5% .

>>> r=.075
>>> (25000*(1+r)*((1+r)**16 – 1)/r)*((1+r)**9)
1498227.8405012074

However , still i dont think its 7.5% . It might be less than that as the bonus amount is still not fixed and other LIC policies do not cross 6% . Will need more investigation on this .

Now coming back to this same thigns , please try to change your focus from returns and lets see other critical factors like

- Liquidity (how liquid is this policy)
- What kind of flexibility it gives to you every year (what if some year you dont have money to pay premium or you have less money )
- What is the opportunity cost ? (if you stop this and start redirecting the money to some thing else)

Now the ROPTI and TI , still i am not understanding why you are inclined towards ROP thing , In this same article I have shown how you can outperform the ROP by taking the plain term insurance and investing the rest in some long term investment like MF or PPF or something else .. It does not depend on risk appetite here . Its just mental blocking I suppose ..

Suppose you pay Rs X for Y insurance and Z money back after N years , Can you outperform that that same setup by paying same Rs X by investing rest amount in MF or MF + PPF or some combination . Try to think yourself and then revert back .

So at the end , the final note from my side is .. You can surrender your LIC and then from now onwards take a pure term insurance for 1 crore (split in 2) and invest rest of it in mix of MF , PPF , Gold ETF and other products .. this will be painful as it involves “changes” and “coming out of cushion” one is lying on till now … so its tough :)

What do you feel ?

Posted on January 29th, 2010

manish says:

Patrick

The deposit rates and inflation rate would not be same .throughout the term ,, but then we can see what is average numbers and the standard deviation of it and calculate it using two numbers on min and max side . lets discuss this sometime on another article i will come up with .

Posted on January 29th, 2010

Patrick says:

While you are guiding all of us lost/misguided investors here, it would be a nice coclusion to answer my last question in details…..since this link is important for a decision on ROP vs TI for every Indian in this dilemma??

The answer is there is no guarantee on your investment related return side even on the fixed return instrument side (a mean or a median or a standard deviation calculation is a approximation in the end and not a proven rule ), so suggest we leave aside any statistical equation to prove the future happenings and guide other investors to a conclusion without even having any proof to substantiate any futuristic assumptions……even the Nobel laureates were unable to predict regarding the financial breakdown of 1930s and 2008 !!

While your blog is rather honest in its approach, you my friend are also in the getting into the zone of prediction, which is not beneficial for anyone reading this link.

The truth is either its guaranteed or its not…..so why take help of maths…..stats…algorithms…astrology….. calculated risk etc…. to predict anything at all!!!!

I sign off …….. hoping 21/12/2012 is not happening since astro scientists have calculated through complex statistical and mathematical methods since the Mayan culture that a judgement day is in the offing!!! So did they when we were hitting Y2k…..:-)

Thanks for your views anyways…..

P.S.: Dear Readers this is not my blog page so I do not intend to directly point out the right and wrong of any individual’s views and I do not intend to run any blog in future, but I guess my logic should be good enough to tickle your judgement.

Posted on January 29th, 2010

manish says:

Patrick

thanks for your inputs .. so finally what have you decided . ROP or Plain term ?

Posted on January 30th, 2010

Rana says:

I am planning to buy a single invest policy from Kotak for 5 lacs premium, do you think it is going to earn me a reasonable return in 5 years time…..or else what is your suggestion considering that this money I wish to invest for my son who is about 8 years old and I wish to park this for his higher education.

Rana

Posted on February 2nd, 2010

Rana

What you suggest looks like a ULIP . I would suggest using other plain products to plan child education . Did you go through http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2010/01/5-easy-steps-to-do-your-childs-education-planning.html ?

You have close to 15 yrs in hand , so you can use Equity funds + ETF + Gold ETF + PPF or debt funds .

Posted on February 2nd, 2010

Vivek says:

I want to take term plan but have some queries.

1. Go for goverment(LIC) or private fund(iterm).

2. What I think both the companies don’t like to give money to your family, they have lots of reasions to reject your claim. If my family don’t get any amount from companies so what is the perpose of term plan. For example death happen due to breaking traffic rule or some family disease that you have not mentioned in you policy becasue you never notice while taking policy .

3. Tell what steps we need to take so that I we can insure that company will not reject my policy claim. While selling policy companies don’t highlights points that they show during claim process.

Please suggest how to acheve my future goals
My age is 28,software engineer, married, one six month old boy, monthly salary 45000,staying in rented house cost 10000 per month.

Future Plans:-
Want to take Term Plan
Want to Buy House
Want to take Child Education plan

For Retirement taken SBI Pension Plan–annual premium 50000
For Health Insurance — Company provided 1.5 Lac Family Cover

My Mutual Fund Investment plans are to start SIP
1. Reliance Regular Saving Equity(G) — 1000 SIP(Monthly)
2. Sundaram select midcap(G) — 1000 SIP(Monthly)
3. HDFC Top 200 — 1000 SIP(Monthly)

ELSS
Can Robeco Equity TaxSaver — 1000 SIP(Monthly)

Please suggest……….

Thanks & Regards,
Vivek

Posted on February 17th, 2010

Vivek

You are asking for doing financial planning here :) . As we cant go in that much detail here as it will takes hours to plan and evaluate things , i will give you a fast review and what are the answers .

Insurance :

You can take insurance from any company , but make sure you fill in details well . You mentioned about “not mentioning family disease because we never notice it” . Now this is an issue on customer side, we are taking an insurance policy , its our responsibility to take care of these things . if someone does not investigate about these things in family and give uncompleted information , its not company problem , they have the right to reject the claim and “they should” .

Investments :
You have to plan each of them seperately , find the amounts you have to save per month (use monthly calculator i have on this blog) . Mutual funds , ETF , gold ETF , index funds , real estate are some of the things you have to use .

Posted on February 18th, 2010

Vivek says:

Thanks for your comments.

For insurace I have just taken one example of family health, company have lot’s of reasion to reject your claims. How policy holder get all the list of reasions before taking policy because there is no use of taking term plan if your claim is rejected by the company.

For term plan I should go with LIC+iTerm or iTerm only.

I am planning to invest 5K every month from my salary in above MF. As you said SIP is better than one time investment. I have 30K please suggest how to invest this money for long term.

Thanks & Regards,
Vivek

Posted on February 18th, 2010

Vivek

Take the SIP in 2-3 good funds , invest whatever is comfortable for you every month , the key is consistency .

Posted on February 22nd, 2010

Vinoth says:

Nice to read all your views. I am 35years old. Do you have any info on Met Suraksha Plus Term life insurance? Their website calculator is quoting me the cheapest per annum for 25 Lakhs and for 30 (Rs 9183) or 35 years (Rs 10562). Is it worth to go for the longest term 35 years or for a lesser term like 25 or 30 years? Only LIC and Metlife offer term life for 35 years. Your inputs on this will be highly appreciated.

Posted on February 27th, 2010

Vinoth

All the term insurance plans are same except the premium cost and claim ratio . LIC is considered the best in claim ratio but its costly . you can take this one but make sure you split your cover in two :)

Posted on February 28th, 2010

ronak kumawat says:

hi manish ..

thk 4 reply..

please provide your valuable feedback on the following MF portfolio:-

uti master share ( D)
reliance regular saving E. share (G)
reliance natural resources (G)

require your suggestions.
Is there any risk associated here?

plz suggest me more funds ..
(i want 2 invent 2 to 3 thousand per month )

i also want to do insurance policy or ulip ., which is more suitable for me . my age is 22 ..

Posted on March 12th, 2010

Padmaja says:

The maximum term in a term insurance plan across all the major insurance providers is 20-25 years.

I found ‘Bharti Axa Elite Secure’ to be different from the rest which provides life cover till the age of 75. Wouldnt it be advisable to take a life cover with maximum term. Of course, the premium is definitely higher when compared to Religare i term.

I would like to know if only cost should be taken into consideration or the age of individual and term for which they need to be covered also to be considered before taking a term insurance plan.

Posted on March 26th, 2010

Padmaja

I mailed you :)

Anyways .. you can take the insurance till 75 if you plan to work till then and if someone is going to be financially dependend on you .. Insurance is protection against the loss of income , so if you are planning to retire around 55-60 , you should look at retirment date – current date kind of tenure .

Posted on March 26th, 2010

pazhanivel says:

hai,

Posted on March 30th, 2010

vel says:

hai,
i read ur nsg. can u explain that

Posted on March 30th, 2010

chakri says:

From past 1 week I am browsing for sites which gives me some idea on mutual funds, investing and insurance. Your site is simply superb.
Kudos to you.

Posted on May 4th, 2010

chakri

Thanks :) . Do keep posting your comments :)

Posted on May 4th, 2010

Gaddam says:

I would like to know about your plan.please help me.

Posted on May 9th, 2010

Pradeep says:

Can you confirm one thing,
One of my friend who wanted to take the term insurance for 40 lakhs, got the reply from a LIC agent that he can only get the insurance of about 22% of his total income. He just joined a company and has starting package of 1.5 lach annually. So according to LIC agent he can only get the term cover of near about 30 lakhs. Is that correct ?

Posted on June 7th, 2010

Pradeep

Yes , it can be the case , company relate the cover amount with the income , so as per LIC they can restrict it to some percentage

Posted on June 7th, 2010

Pradeep says:

But is this applicable to all other companies or just the LIC. and why is that ? After all it is the choice of person whether he wants to invest the whole money in insurance cover or not

Posted on June 7th, 2010

Pradeep

Nope , a person cant have choice like that , as per principles of Insurance , one should not take advantage of Insurance and get himself insured for more than what his worth is . So if a person earns 1.5 lacs annually and chooses to invest 1 lac in term insurance , he can take a cover of 5 crores , which is not possible as a person earning 1.5 lacs will not have a potential cover of more than 50-60 lacs , or max 1 crore , so its generally restricted at some level .

This will be true for other insurance companies also , so you cant take term insurance for any amount , there is a limit, and companies will tell you that , thats the reason why you should disclose your cover to other companies so that you are not “over insured”

Posted on June 7th, 2010

Pradeep says:

Thanks Manish,

I just came to know that he has one more money back policy on his name from LIC, so it might be the case.
Thanks for the information

Posted on June 8th, 2010

Hitesh says:

I have these policies from LIC.
1. Jeevan Anand
2.Bima Kiran
3. New Bima Kiran
4.Endowment Assurance
5. Money back – 2 nos
6.jeevan Saral
7.Jeevan Mitral (half year old)
Premiums for above is about 45000 and sum insured is about 25 lacs
Q. Which of above should i retain and which should be surrendered ?
also can i surrender the jeevan mitra which is just 6 months old ?

Additonally i have a ulip from max new york (5 years old and current value is same as total invested till date so no profit even after 5 years)
Premium is about 15000 per year.
Q. What action to be taken? Retain or wait for more time

Plus I have two SIPs
1. BSL tax relief 96 (D)
2. HDFC top 200.
Both r almost 7 months old.
Q. Are they good enough ?

My age is 29 yrs, married with one son of 8 months and dependent parents (senior citizens)
Can i think of investing in senior citizen savings scheme @ 9%?

Hitesh

Posted on July 24th, 2010

Hitesh

Your overall Portfolio is so messed up , You are not insured properly and your investments are for the sake of investing and doesnt seem to be linked with your goal .

What is your total insurance cover ? You can surrender LIC policies only after 3 yr and even after than you wont get more than 30-40% of money .

you can get out of the ULIP now , it was a bad marriage and now is the time to get out of it .

You should hire a financial planner or get it done yourself by learning things from this blog .

Posted on July 24th, 2010

Hitesh says:

Yes , after reading some articles on ur blog, even i realised that my portfolio is not planned. And I think so its not late to replan. Actually most of the policies were taken by my mom (agents misguided her). 6 policies r almost more than 7-8 yrs old. If i surrender them will i get more than what i have paid or less ? Then i will go for term plan purely for insurance.
also can i invest in senior citizen savings scheme, as the returns r @ 9% ?

Posted on July 26th, 2010

Hitesh

I am not sure how much will you get if you surrender it now , In general you should get around the same what you have paid till now including bonus, but even if you make it paid up , you are not going to benefit much , as you will get more , but at very later point ,so overall its the same thing .

You cant invest in Senior Citizen Saving scheme , unless you are a senior citizen :)

Posted on July 26th, 2010

Hitesh says:

As read on ur blog, lic policies normally offer returns of about 6%.
I have a personal example now
My mom had a Jeevan Sanchay policy. Premium was @6059 for 12 years.Sum Assured was 50000.
She got 10000 at 4th and 8th year respectively. Now at maturity she is getting 72000. So in all she is getting 92000 aginst payment of 72708. What are the returns ?

Hitesh

Posted on July 27th, 2010

Hitesh

Its exactly 4.8% . Its a wrong way of seeing that she paid 72708 and got 92000 , it matters that when did she get the money and what was the cash inflow and outflow every year . If you do the IRR analysis (the way we calculate return for situation like this) . You will see that following cash inflow .

-6,059.00
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
3,941.00 (becasue she got 10k and paid some premium)
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
3,941.00
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
-6,059.00
72,000.00

4.80% = IRR

See IRR post in archives

Posted on July 27th, 2010

Hitesh says:

Manish ,
I realised it that how simple it is to calculate the returns and even we should do these at the time of purchasing any investment rather than just checking the premiums and the end amount. Thanks for the information.
Also let me know if there are other calculators for calculating returns on sip, ppf, ulips, etc
Hitesh

Posted on July 28th, 2010

Hitesh

Great to hear that , you seem to not give a look at the top nav and side bar . There are many calculators which you can use .

Posted on July 28th, 2010

Santosh says:

i want to go for short term investment plan (max 10-15 years) with maximised returns( if insurance is there then added advantage)
there are 6 policies from which i have been told are good or any other thing you suggest would be best

1) Aegon religare premium gain plus
2) tata lakshya plus
3) Bharti Axa Bright star
4) Aviva Safeguard
5) Kotak Super Adv
6) Birla sunlife dream
any suggestions which would be best ? or any other policy which is best

Also please suggest which is the best child plan currently (was blessed with a baby last month )

regards many thanks
Santosh

Posted on July 30th, 2010

Santosh

You should not buy any of these . There are ULIP’s and are not recommended unless you are profecient in Markets . Invest in Mutual funds

Posted on July 30th, 2010

jignesh says:

I have 30K per month to save,protect and building wealth. Asset Allocation is about 50% equity and remainig 50%. I dont have any insurance right now. I will turn 30 in Dec 2010. My calculated Insurance amount is 1 Cr. I am confused with ULIP/ Term Plan/ Premium Return Term plan.

Can you suggest me best way of planning the insurance and investment?

let me know if you require any more information aside.

Thanks & Regards

Jignesh

Posted on August 23rd, 2010

Jignesh

You should invest in Mutual funds through SIP and take a pure term plan .

Posted on August 23rd, 2010

Jig says:

Thanks a lot. Exactly i was thinking for the same. You really made life simple for so many ppls.

keep it up

Jignesh

Posted on August 23rd, 2010

Jig

My pleasure :)

Posted on August 23rd, 2010

Varun says:

First of all great article and superb advice.

However, I would like to point out one scenario where ROP might look relevant. My acquaintance is 38 yrs diabetic (on insulin). As a result, his term application has been rejected by one company and the initial response from other companies is not very encouraging. This is when someone from LIC told me about the ROP policy. According to him, in ROP, medical is not required and the policy application will not be rejected even after disclosing all the facts.

So, in this situation, I find ROP relevant, not because it is better that Term, but it is the only option which gives a high cover and the net cost (after adjusting the capital returned) is managable. Do let me know your opinion. In case you wish to suggest any other insurance plan (with a high cover like Term) which is better that ROP in this situation, please do let me know. Some one told me whole life is better, but I am yet to analyze that.

Rgds,
Varun

Posted on September 19th, 2010

Varun

Great point. In that case yes ROP term insurance would make sense . When one can not get pure term for medical reasons but he can get ROP , then he can go for it . Whole life plan would not make sense , i am sure on that , You can check Jeevan tarang analysis on this blog . It a whole life plan only .

Posted on September 20th, 2010

Satish H says:

An eye opening article.. Awesome :)

Posted on September 24th, 2010

Satish

Thanks for your appreciation :)

Posted on September 24th, 2010

Dip says:

Artical is excellent. However one has to look while choose the Insurance company. Till now, LIC is the best for claim ratio and others (private players) are not tested. And there are lot of hasslement during claim. If Family is getting the claim, what is the point of investing?
Manish can you write something about this issue?

Posted on October 11th, 2010

Dip

Yes i wll comeup with that soon

Posted on October 11th, 2010

Dip says:

What is Age limit of opening PPF account? I am 45 yrs old. If I open a PPF acount for 15 yrs, it will mature at my age of 60. As per the PPF rule, is it possible? OR is this adviceable to you Manish?

Posted on October 12th, 2010

Dip

No limit on age, you can open it anytime

Posted on October 12th, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

I have taken Lifeshield plus term plan (term 30 years) from aviva. Sum assured 60lacs and an additional 50lacs for accidental death, as i am overweight they have charged 11k extra. The total premium is 38600/-. I have this policy from one year.

My agent is telling me to get it converted to Lifeshield advantage, reason it is premium back term plan. We calculated the premium for 65L and it came around 30,500 although you do not have the facility of ADB rider. But the biggest advantage of this policy is, it is premium back term plan. Even if we add 11K as extra charge for being overweight it would be 42K but i will get back my 30,500 at the end of policy.

What do you suggest??
one more thing i lost my password i am a existing member of jagoninvestor can you retrieve it.

Dr. Amarnath Awargaonkar

Posted on December 20th, 2010

Amarnath
You should read this article for clarification on return on premium plan : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2009/04/return-of-premium-term-insurance-is-it.html

Rearding your password thing , i hope you are talking about forum, can you please create it once again, I think because of inactivity , it got removed

Posted on December 20th, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

My poinf of contention is that if we go to avivaindia site and calculate premium through their site the premium for pure term and ROP term plan comes near about the same give or take 5,000 Rs. how is it possible?
If it is!! then it would make logic to buy ROP term plan.
Regarding the password issue I tried to register with my old email id it is not accepting, it says email id already taken up or something like that.
Kindly advice about the term plan vs ROP
I have 25 more days to pay my yearly premium for the pure term plan which i have taken one year back.
Thank you and as always it is my honour to have a friend like you.
Dr. Amarnath Awargaonkar

Posted on December 22nd, 2010

Amar

You should do a similar analysis what has been done in the article , see how much is the difference in premium , What if you invest the difference in some other instrument like PPF or Equity funds , can you make more than what you will be paying in total tenure ?

Show me the maths .

Posted on December 22nd, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

Here is the maths
Life shield Plus policy
Term: 29 years
Premium: 27,818/-
Maturity benefit: Nil
Sum assured: 65,00,000/-

Life shield advantage policy
Term: 29 years
Premium: 30,602/-
Maturity benefit: Return of premiums paid excluding rider premium, taxes and extra premium paid if any.
Sum assured: 65,00,000/-

All this calculations done on avivaindia website considering my age as 36 years.

Please suggest as i am really confused!!!
How can a company launch such a product where the beneficiary is only the customer?
Regards.
Dr. Amarnath Awargaonkar

Posted on December 22nd, 2010

Amar

Hmm.. I did the maths , but looks like the return of premium makes sense in this case unless I am not able to decode something hidden , It would not pay the taxes involved , so in the premiums of 30,602 you also have taxes at 10.3% , which means your without-tax premium is only 27541 . So for 29 yrs you will pay total of 8 lacs . Now you can save 30602 – 27818 if you go for first options , Only if you can generate 13-14% return in next 29 yrs CAGR , then you can get more than 8 lacs by investing the difference in some mutual funds , which is possible , but if thats the case ,going with the ROP option might make sense !

Posted on December 22nd, 2010

jig says:

Not possible.
You might be choosen OPtion A.
Try to calculate with OPtion B.
For 50 Lac coverage of 30 yr age for 30 year term ….

ROP of advange : 20762

Premium of Plus: 13732. ( without riders )
Now remaining 7030 per year put in PPF.
at the end of 30 year amount will be 8,77,673.

ROP total is 6,22,860.

Hope this helps now.

well manish can better explain whether with riders it wll be good or not?

Posted on December 22nd, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

Jig, Manish,
Yes i used the option A
But i have downloaded the policy document from their site.
It says the following regarding options -
Option A: single premium or regular premium (equal to policy term)
Option B: regular premium (equal to policy term)
The only difference i came to know was if you go for option A the maximum sum assured is more and if you opt for option B the maximum sum assured is 50,00,000/-.
Thank you both for helping me.
Dr.Amarnath Awargaonkar

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

Manish Chauhan says:

So finally did you get your answer and able to take decision or not ?

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

Jig says:

Hello Amar,
I think still you are looking somewhere else.
Option A is Plan without Return of Premium
Option B is Plan with Return of Premium

please check with patience and sure your doubt will be clear.

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

Jig says:

I mean either of the plan is for ROP and other one is without ROP.

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

Jig, Manish
Life shield advantage is ROP
in that there are two options
option A where there is no cap on sum assured but you can insure yourself only upto 65 years of age
and Option B where the cap is 50 lacs for sum assured not only that when i downloaded the brochure for Life shield advantage it clearly mentions -

Option A: single premium or regular premium (equal to policy term)
Option B: regular premium (equal to policy term)
any way i have opted not to buy the ROP plan and continue with my old term insurance that is Life shield plus plan
where there are no return of premiums.
I have to admith although that my doubts have not cleared.
Regards.

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

jig, manish,
Life shield advantage is ROP
Life shield plus is pure term insurance
ROP plan has two options
Pure term plan does not have options
I believe in manish’s words “….but looks like the return of premium makes sense in this case unless I am not able to decode something hidden” If he is not able to decode then i thought it is best to stick to the term plan but i would like the members here to have a look, so that if it is really a good plan then it can be reccomended.
Dr. Amarnath Awaragonkar

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

jig says:

As i mentioned we can take an example of SA 50 lac for term 30 years and age 30 years. now below are the outcome of results for
Life shield plus
Life shield Advantage with ROP.

1) WIGHOUT ROP

Policy Term: 30 Years
Premium Paying Term: 30 Years
Premium Paying Frequency: Annual
Base Premium: Rs. 16,367
Aviva Dread Disease Rider Premium: Nil
Regular Installment Premium :16,367

well in both case i didnt include riders.

AND YES IN THIS CASE AVIVA GIVEN GREAT OFFER WHERE ROP BEAT NORMAL PLAN + PPF.

THANKS AMAR TO BROUGHT THIS HERE.

REGARDS

JIG

Posted on December 23rd, 2010

amarawargaonkar says:

Jig,
Thank you for the appreciation.
This forum has helped me a lot and if i can give back something it would be worthwhile.
Regards.
Dr. Amarnath Awargaonkar

Posted on December 24th, 2010

Pragnesh says:

Hi manish,

I am pragnesh and i am 28 yrs old married person. Here is my portfolio:

Total income – Rs. 35K/per month
Home Loan – Rs. 5800/- per month for 4 yrs.
Insurance:
1 New Bima Gold (873491503) 13884 (4 lac coverage) — shall i surrender? how is this policy. just 4 yrs old
2 Jivan Mitra Policy (873257493) 5010 (1 lac coverage)

Mutual Fund monthly SIPs:
HDFC Top 200 Fund 2000
IDFC Premier Equity Plan A – 2000
Sundaram Tax Saver Fund – 1500
DSP BR Equity Mutual Fund – 1000

PPF total investment till date: Rs. 20000/- (NO EPF deducted in my co.)

I want to take Term plan. suggest me what should be cover i should buy and from which company and do you think i need to add more SIPs to get more returns?

Pragnesh

Posted on January 7th, 2011

Pragnesh

Ask it on forum : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on January 7th, 2011

Pragnesh says:

Thank you manish. I have just ask under Financial Planning. please reply.

Posted on January 7th, 2011

Pragnesh

Keep an eye on it , it will be answered there

Posted on January 7th, 2011

jig says:

Hello Dr Amarnath,
Recently Aviva launched Life Shield Platinum. Can you share your view on that? I tried to understand its monthly income plan but still not clear about it.

I request Manish to review it and please share merits if good for readers.

keep sharing

jig

Posted on January 13th, 2011

Jignesh

its a pure term plan , what review are you expecting ?

Here is a review you can read :

Posted on January 13th, 2011

jayajonty says:

Hello Manish
I have 30 years Jeevan Mitra Triple cover policy with quarterly premium of Rs. 6,887 (Rs. 27,550 /year) from April 2006 onwards. It has accrues bonus of 1,00,000 as per the LIC data against the policy vailable online. If we consider appr. 14,000 yealy spent to cover insurance portion and remaining 13,000 is invested the return of 1,00,000 as bonus is almost 13% return on 13,000/ year investment for 5 years (I used your Excel tool to calculate) which in my opinion much better return.
I did this exercise after reading your various articles on term insurance when I was getting convinced, the above figures make me rethink.
Your reply is appreciated. Thank you. Am I making any mistake while doing the

Posted on January 16th, 2011

Jayjonty

So you paid only 4 premiums of 27,550 each per year , which means you paid around 1.1 lacs till date ,with that I doubt that your bonus would be 1 lacs as of now , please login to your account in LIC and see how much bonus is accrued . Also get your agent on this and ask him details .

Posted on January 16th, 2011

Priya says:

Hi Manish ,

Gr8 work here.You cleared all my doubts regarding term insurance (whether to go with the one which returns back the premium or the one which does not).I have a question here..We have finalized one property (90%) and have applied for a home loan from IDBI bank.

I have heard that if u dun have adequate cover (atleast worth the loan amt which we have taken) , the bank will ask us to take an insurance forcefully , whose premium is added to loan amt and we end up paying the interest on that too.Is it true ?

If yes , would you suggest us to go for a term policy from Aegon Religare , which does not return premiums ?
My income is 26K pm and my husband’s is 49K Pm.

I would also want investment tips from u , in order to get steady returns , so that we can pay off the loan amount periodically and finish it soon ?

We are currently invested in HDFC top 200,Reliance banking sector SIP and Birla Sunlife SIP.We also have 4 LIC policies (I guess with a premium totally amounting to 30K PA together)

Just to add , the property which we have finalized will be ready in August 2012,for possession.We have a loan amount of 27lakhs and we will be paying a Pre-EMI interest now (maybe starting from April 2011.)

Thanks in advance!

Posted on February 1st, 2011

Priya

Yes Banks will ask you to have adequate cover , incase you dont have , it will be in home loan itself , you might consider that , actually you should !

The other suggestions which you have asked needs a detailed look and committed time to plan , You should look at paid services for this

Posted on February 1st, 2011

Priya says:

Thanks for your reply Manish ..

You have said “incase you dont have , it will be in home loan itself , you might consider that , actually you should !” ..Do you mean I should go for the insurance products that are sold by bank ? I have heard they add this premium to the loan amount and we end up paying interest on that as well ? About Aegon Religare iTerm plan , I googled to find out if there are any exclusions.But I could find only one , the suicide one.

If you are aware of any hidden exclusions , can you plz tell me ? If there are none , then I thnk this is the perfect one!

Posted on February 2nd, 2011

Priya

When you take a home loan , there can be a added term plan with it self which will cover your life upto the cover amount, the cover will come down as per your loan , so at any point of time, it will cover you for the loan outstanding.

These loans are designed to give you many benefits like it will cover you from even partial and permanent disablement , loss of job etc ..

Hence over all its a good thing , but the premiums for this is higher than a stand alone plan which you buy from outside .

So you have to choose over cost and convinience .

Posted on February 2nd, 2011

Priya says:

Thanks Manish..I will enquire about it. Regarding Mutual fund investments , you have mentioned about consulting paid financial services.How do you rate HDFC bank’s investement services ? I personally am not willing to listen to agents’ advice on this , because many of them are misleading.But agents claim that banks like HDFC who offer investment services , will advice their own mutual funds to us..I want a genuine advice..Plz suggest.Even if you are able to help us out periodically , as and when u have time , thats ok ..because we still have time for the EMI cutting to start (about a yr and a half)..so isnt it enough time to plan a portfolio ?

Thanks in advance for all your advice..

Posted on February 3rd, 2011

Priya

Its recommened not to go with specific banks as they will advice for thier own products .. they have to …

Let me mail you on paid services part

Posted on February 3rd, 2011

Naveen Kumar says:

Let me put down my financial condition and my personal life requirements.

My monthly take home is 28k

I have one personal loan 2 lakhs wich will close in next 5 years. i have invested this amount in my brothers business. out of that i am getting 2000 pM as intrest and same will be invested in Jeevan Saral insurance taken for 20 years.

Loan EMI is 5584

House rent is 6000

Other expence is 10000

Let me put down my requirement

Recently i am blessed with twin baby girls.

I need to take care their education and marriage expences.

Please suggest me the best investment plans.

Also i 50k in my hand now.

Naveen

Posted on March 4th, 2011

Naveen

You need to invest in equity for long term for those goals . Relook at your current policy and find out how much are they givning you in llong term .

Posted on March 4th, 2011

Naveen Kumar says:

I am planning to invest 3000PM in mutial funds in two different AMC’s

Please suggest me the best mutial funds

And what is your openion on investment in Silver

Naveen

Posted on March 4th, 2011

Manish Chauhan says:

Naveen read this : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/thoughts-on-investing-in-silver/1186/

Posted on March 10th, 2011

AJ says:

I just happened to stumble upon ur blogs, they are excellent!! Your passion for this field is clearly visible in you clear and simple writings…. Keep up the good work :)
Regarding Term Insurance plan I had a doubt…… I am a Marine Engineer by Profession so a physical disability of any kind would render me jobless. Will the term insurance cover this? or do i have to take a separate medical insurance for that?
Also as I am more than 180 days out of India, I do not pay tax, so am I eligible to invest under PPF and ELSS?
Thank you for your time.

Posted on April 13th, 2011

AJ

You need to take a rider called “Disability Rider” along with term insurance , that will give Sum assured in 10 equal parts each year .

You have to see what is your residential status at the end ,if its not NRI , you can open PPF .
You can invest in ELSS anyways

Posted on April 14th, 2011

Vishal says:

Excellent Forum and hats off to you knowledge.

I need you advise.
I have the Endowment Assurance policy from LIC
Sum Assured:3,50,000
Policy & Premium payment term:30 yrs
Premium:10,667 per annum
Accrued Bonus:1,97,400
I have already paid 10 premiums (policy commenced in 2000)
Apart from this I have Principal Personal Tax saver (investment 80k,current value 60k, divident received 19k) & HDFC Tax save (investment 45k,current value 44k, divident received 7k) thru SIP which i could not continue for long as I have booked a Flat and am paying 10,oo,ooo as the EMI.

Currently I save 8000 a month after paying EMI, I need a term plan for family security, wealth accumulation for my 1 month old son’s education etc… health insurance is thru company so am not thinking of additional Health plan.

Aviva iLife is the cheapest term plan with 50,00,000 cover,35 yrs term, premium 4769 pa. Is it ok to go as I did not find anyone enquiring for this or suggesting this? After this I will be left with about 4000 pm. My complication is should I liqidate the LIC, agent says I will get about 2,00,000 if stoped and if completed the term I will get 8-8.5 Lakhs on maturity. I also have to start SIP for wealth accumulation.

You advise is highly appriciated.

Vishal

Posted on June 4th, 2011

Vishal

You have too many questions . Please ask generic questions which can be answered with ease .

Posted on June 6th, 2011

Vishal says:

Sure Manish,

If you can help me with this.
I have only one LIC policy which is the Endowment Assurance policy Sum Assured:3,50,000
Policy & Premium payment term:30 yrs
Premium:10,667 per annum
Accrued Bonus:1,97,400
I have already paid 10 premiums (policy commenced in 2000)

Now I think I need atleast 50,oo,ooo coverage for my dependants.So am going for a term plan. Now an confused which will give me more benefit , If I continue I will have to pay 10,776 for LIC and 5000 aprox for term plan. The agent says I will get 2,00,000 if I surrender the LIC.
Should I surrender, which means 5,000 aprox in term plan and balance 5000 in an SIP (Mutual Fund).

Which will be more beeficial if you can give an illustration as you have in some cases above.

Vishal

Posted on June 6th, 2011

Vishal says:

Sorry, forgot to add.

According to the agent , if I complete the policy I will will get 8-8.5Lakhs at maturity.

Posted on June 6th, 2011

Chakri says:

Thanks for all the replies in patience. I am a new add to your fanlist.

Am planning to take a term policy but confused on private-public fear. I am almost finalising a deal in LIC. Have some points to conclude and hope these are the common points for all the aspirant policy takers.

Appreciate your thoughts on the below:

(a) Can I go for Private Co., with the same confidence as I have on Public Co.,s?
(b) Term policy is issued on any basis (like salary of a person multiples, individual networth or just the paying capacity of an individual…)?
(c) Is it suggestible to go for riders (like permanent disability, etc)?
(d) If I take the term policy from 2 different Co.,s, will the beneficiary get the insured sum in full from both the compaines?

Once again highly appreciate experts inputs as this is a once in a life time decision.
Chakri

Posted on June 28th, 2011

Chakri

1. There is lot of confusion here , There are few ununderstood things because of which public is too fearful . Its true that if you are with a new company and its an early death , it would be not as easy as it would be with an old company and late death (more than 2 yrs). So truely speaking I would say split the cover with LIC and non-LIC . balance can be there .

2. Yes , if its a large cover , it would be your networth and mainly its dependent on how much cover you alreayd have ?

3. There is no suggestion , each riders provides you some benefit , its only you who can decide if you want it in your life or not

4. yes , the beneficiary will get it from all the companies in full

All I would say is take action , you have done the ground work , not where is the action , I want you to complete this and take the term plan and share your victory with us here . I am setting up the deadline for you :) . Next 15 days !

Posted on June 28th, 2011

SHYAM says:

i am 33 year old married with 2 kids and i want to know about sbi smart life term insurance plan.
Is this plan is sutable for me for 15 year
can i choose single premium option
and tell me any best plan.

shyam

Posted on July 30th, 2011

Shyam

Take any term plan . Are you not ok with online options ?

Posted on July 30th, 2011

akhilesh says:

Hi manish,

Need your guidence
I am 28 years of age and investing in 7 SIP namely hdfc top 200, hdfc equity, hdfc mid cap, hdfc tax saver, hdfc prudence, fedelity equity and fidelity tax advantage for Rs 1000 each.
I am planning to take two Term plan Religare and ICIC for 50 lacs each for 25 years.
Is my sip and insurance combination right or not

akhilesh

Posted on August 8th, 2011

Akhilesh

yea. you are going right

Posted on August 9th, 2011

Ashutosh says:

Your blog is very helpful for the person like us. I am a 30 year old male living in Delhi and earning around 25k per month. From lat year, I started investing and currently I am maintaining a PPF account with SBI (Annual investment about Rs 25000)and Rs 10,000 annual investment in NPS. Recently, I started SIP of three mutual funds viz., HDFC Top 200, DSP Blackrock Top 100 Equity Fund and ICICI Prudential Focussed Bluechip with the invetsment of Rs 1000/- per month in each fund. Just two days back, I taken the Aviva i Life Term Plan from their website. Can You please suggest that whether my portfolio is OK or I need some change in this.
Please suggest.
Thanking You.

Posted on August 20th, 2011

vishal says:

Hi Ashutosh,

Could I get your number please, I need some info on Aviva I-life, I have already filled the form, just about to make payment.

Posted on August 22nd, 2011

Ashutosh says:

Hi Vishal,

I made the payment through my credit card.
I can not post my mobile number at this website due to privacy concerns. However, if you need to talk to me, please give me your email ID and I shall send you my contact address at the same.

Posted on August 24th, 2011

vishal says:

vishal_kol@yahoo.co.in is my id. It will be very helpful if I can talk to you as soon as possible. I have already filled up the form and waiting for a sugestion from someone who has taken this policy on one or two questions and their impact before I make the payment.

Vishal.

Posted on August 24th, 2011

Lara says:

Dear Manish -

I may sound like a fool to some. I have some basic questions on Term Insurance.
1) Is it better to take a long term or a short term plan.
2) In case you outlive your term period, what happens to the premium.

Many thanks.

Posted on September 1st, 2011

Lara

1. Dont see it like that , Take term plan for the remaining time for your retirement .

2. Nothing .. policy expires ..

Posted on September 1st, 2011

Kawardeep Singh says:

Hi Manish, Your blogs are really awesome.
Well want your advice in some cases. My age is 29 yrs, Married and i have 8 months old daughter. So i have to plan right now for her study and her marriage. I am investing 8000/- per month in SIP from last 1 year. Details are given below.

HDFC GROWTH FUND(G) – 1000 P.M
ICICI PRU DYNAMIC PLAN – 1000 P.M
ICICI PRU INFRASTRUCTURE – 2000 P.M
IDFC SMALL & MIDCAP – 1500 P.M
RELIANCE EQUITY OPP. FUND – 1500 P.M
RELIANCE VISION FUND – 1000 P.M

1. Are these plans are good enough for my goal or i have to change any one ? 2. I think i have to invest in gold through SIP for marriage of my daughter. Which funds are good for this ?
3. Should i invest in SIP or other options ?
4. Now as per my thinking i should have term insurance plan for safety of my family and my daughter’s future.
Please Advice.

Posted on September 21st, 2011

Kawardeep

I think you are going good .. focus on consistency rather than funds name .. Do a yearly review .. you are ok at the moment . Dont add more funds

Go for term plan .

Posted on September 22nd, 2011

SAURABH says:

hi there, thanx for good suggetion on TROP.
I have one existing Reliance MF SIP. Very recently when i renewed it they told me about insurance of SIP installments and i opted for that when they told me that they are not charging any single penny as premium for that insurance from my SIP amount.
IS IT TRUE? PLS GUIDE

Posted on October 16th, 2011

Saurabh

Who told you that ? If agent has said that , then its not true because they lie generally .. what is the whole plan overall ? Please explan

Posted on October 16th, 2011

Kawardeep Singh says:

Thanks for your advice Manish.
i know long term investment is right way to achieve our goals.

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Kawardeep Singh says:

Hello Manish and Saurabh.
Yes even i get some emails on insurance of SIP from reliance too. There may be some hidden charges for the same. I discussed it with my financial adviser and he is strictly against these type of products.

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Kawardeep

Yea .. right . better go for just plain insurance ..

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Kawardeep

Nice .. good to see you on right direction as well as your financial advisor is good one

Posted on October 17th, 2011

SAURABH says:

Hi Kawardeep & Manish,

Actually it was told by Reliance Mutual Staff only, not by any Agent
That’s why i trusted.
I will check again with my SIP amount and no. of units being alloted to me
in my statement. This will make things clear I suppose.

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Saurabh

Its no different .. people move from company to company in few months/years .. there is only code of conduct , but no track of who is following that code of conducts .. So my previous reply still stands !

Posted on October 17th, 2011

Ravindra says:

Term life insurance policy with return of premiums

Posted on October 19th, 2011

Ravindra says:

Wich company’s SIP of best

Posted on October 19th, 2011

Ravindra

Your question is vague … its like asking which cuisine is best and which restaurant has better food ? Its never hte best company which has best SIP , things go up and down , what is your requirement ?

Posted on October 23rd, 2011

vandana says:

me toooooo agree with you ……you said correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on November 19th, 2011

vandana says:

me too vry impressed of your site……very nice site & specially ur replies & ideas are awesome…..

VANDANA

Posted on November 19th, 2011

Vandana

Thanks for appreciation :)

Posted on November 20th, 2011

Santosh says:

Dear manish,

I have planning to buy term insurance for 25 years for assured amount 2500000, with rider.but there is lot of company in insurance sector and also everyone having online insurance policy also . As per i have seen above comments kotak preferred is good or some one else . Can u give me advice for to buy policy online or offline is acceptable. kindly suggest your opinion for the same. You have good knowledge on term insurance
Kindly Advice, waiting for u reply.

Santosh

Posted on November 20th, 2011

Santosh

There is no harm in taking online term plan , go for it .. you can go with ICICI , kotak or AVIVA

Posted on November 20th, 2011

Vishwas dastake says:

i have taken LIC term insurance Jeevan amulay for 25 lacks & premimum paing Rs 16970 per year, policy duration is 30 years.
now i come to know from calculation as this plan term increses the primium also increses.
if i salender this policy and take new one from LIC with 5 years plan i will pay less premimum.
is it advisible,
Let me know
Vishwas

Posted on November 23rd, 2011

Vishwas

Yes , its true that for a lower tenure ,the premium would be low , but whats the use of it , at teh end of 5th year ., you will again buy the policy but that time the premiu would be for your age that time and premium would be high . So its not advisable , I hope you are looking for insurance as pure insurance and not investments

Posted on November 23rd, 2011

Mukundan says:

It is great to come across this article. I need some advice.
#1. I am 51 yrs and not insured much (Just some PLIs for 2 lakhs) . My monthly income is 60k and my total monthly expenses are 35k. My sons are settled and I want to save the remaining 25k every month wisely. Can you please advise the best way to go ahead?

#2. I have some 10 lakhs spare cash which i have invested in bank FDs, Is there any other better and safe way i can increase the return?

Thanks in advance

Posted on December 18th, 2011

Mukundan

As you now in your 50′s .. you can put your Money in balanaced funds assuming you want moderate risk on your money

Posted on December 18th, 2011

Mukundan says:

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will go for balanced funds. Any specific funds?
Meanwhile, any advice about term plans?

Mukundan

Posted on December 18th, 2011

Mukundan

You can take HDFC Prudence, for term plans you have an option like Aviva and LIC

Posted on December 18th, 2011

Mukundan says:

Posted on December 18th, 2011

Santosh says:

which term insurance plan is better??? i want 25k insurance for my family
Please advice….

Posted on January 4th, 2012

Santosh

25k of insurance ? Only ? Are you saying premium or sum assured ? Is 25k not too less-

Posted on January 4th, 2012

Rajendra says:

I have gone through all comments and forums but they are quite old, now I want to know about the current Aviva Life shield advantage term plan where I need your valuable feedback please. The plan details as per below :
My age= 29yrs
Premium = 20055
Term = 30years
Coverage = 50lac plus accidental 1cr plus permanent Total disbaility coverage
Plan=Aviva Life shield advantage plan (option B)
Minimum first 3 years premium payment required
Premium paying holiday of 2 years after 3 continuos yrs of payment
Incase to total discontinuation policy still persists but sum assured will be reduced as per time lapsed since discontinuity
Currently,
LIC 50lac term plan cost 16800 (not sure it has accidental + PTD)

As its a money back plan, The premium is so less that it beats PPF plus term plan of LIC for 30yr term and its the least Premium Money back plan in market at the moment.
Is it worth taking ? As compared to other private players how trustworthy is Aviva amoung market players and its claim/settlement please ?

Also m thinking of Aviva + LIC of 1 cr total, means a
ROP(50L) + NROP(50L) = 20055 + 16800 = 36855 per year
while LIC 1 cr premium costs around 33600
how does it sounds ?

Thanks in advance.
Rajendra

Posted on January 23rd, 2012

Rajendra

I dont thikn you should still buy it , can you compare it with same company term plan + PPF or same company term plan + Equiyt funds ?

Take the cheapest term plan + PPF , compare with that

Posted on January 24th, 2012

vishal Dhish says:

I would like to invest 25 lacks and things that i want is the following:

1) Term Insurance for 1 crore
2) monthly benefit for my mother, I dont understand anything apart from tradational investments such as FD and buying property

Kindly guide me where to invest so as to get the maximum return on investment

Thnx
Vishal Dhish

Posted on January 31st, 2012

Vishal

You can get a cover of 1 crore from companies like LIC , Aviva , HDFC or Kotak , ICICI , not sure if you want to make yearly payments or just one time payment ?

Also for generating regular income ,you can use FD and take the option of quarterly interest payment , with 20 lacs you might get around around 15k per month income or near that .. However there are other options also you can learn about them here : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2011/11/10-income-generation-methods-india.html

Posted on January 31st, 2012

vishal dhish says:

I found out abt religare and since I am 34 years old, for 1 crore sum insured its coming to about 15000 annualy.

How do I divide my 25 lacks in equity, SIP etc so that my risk is moderate

Thnx
Vishal

Posted on January 31st, 2012

Vishal

If you want totally secure investment, then equity mutual funds are not for you .. I think you can take STP route here .. Put money in some debt fund or bank account and then transfer some X amount each month in some balanced and debt funds

Posted on January 31st, 2012

ChPCR says:

Your suggestions and guidance is very impressive. Its good that finally I landed on a site I have been looking from long time.
I have 1 yr old daughter and now I would like to start investing for her education and marriage. I have 10L savings and paying insurance of 1L pa. Policies include Jeevan Shree (24K), Money Plus(10K), New Bima Gold(6K) and few Ing Vysya policies. I get 12K per month on my 10L savings.
I have a home loan of 26L with EMI of 26K for 20 yrs. EMI hasnt started. After my expenses and home loan I will be left with 15K from my salary.
Now for my daughter’s future, I am confused whether to take any SIP or Quantum Gold ETF. Please suggest if any better choice.

Posted on February 28th, 2012

SAURABH SAWANT says:

Dear All,

I wish to suggest all SIP investor one fact about Reliance SIP Insure scheme.
Pls be carefull in selecting term of Rel MF Schemes with SIP Insure feature as there is 2% exit load on this scheme and later on you can not change the term also.
Agent or the company people may not tell you about this fact.So go through clear terms & conditions in fine prints.

Posted on February 29th, 2012

Thanks Saurabh

Good to know those points from you . Keep contributing !

Posted on February 29th, 2012

ChPCR

First you should slow down and relax. The first thing people start getting worried is child education the moment they are born ! . All you need to do is take a good term plan with right cover and start investing in mutual funds and other simple products for long term wealth creation !

Posted on March 1st, 2012

ChPCR says:

Can you please suggest good term insurance plan?

Posted on March 2nd, 2012

ChPCR

There is nothing like that . it all depends on your trust and belief . LIC , Kotak ,Aviva ,HDFC are the options

Posted on March 2nd, 2012

Madhu says:

Does Aviva has any return on premium term plan insurance?

Posted on March 16th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

I am not sure on that , why do you want return of premium term plan ?

Posted on March 17th, 2012

prasanna says:

Dear manish and others
I am sorry to deviate from this actual article. All suggestions by manish are good
for active personal finance manager. but i think from the mutual funds we can go
to an extra mile. I used to see the portfolio of successful mutual funds in moneycontrol.com and invest directly in the list of company stocks specified there.
At the same time i purchase the mutual funds also. The results are amazing. My portfolio grows very fastly then the original fund NAV and goes down fastly when
my fund is also going down a bit slowly. so instead of investing in a particular fund
we can follow the updates of the fund and proceed ourself to gain maximum

Posted on March 22nd, 2012

Prasanna

Good that this worked for you, but you might have just bought a couple of stocks in that fund and in that case you were lucky that what you bought went up . Next time if those went down , then what will do you , for how many years this has happened ?

Posted on March 22nd, 2012

Jayachandran says:

What a clear , simple explanation . I just had a realization of how much fool I was when I took an endowment policy without any idea what I am doing :( .

Thanks a lot for saving my day .

Posted on March 31st, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

All you need to do now is define the next action !

Posted on April 2nd, 2012

Radharanjan Das says:

Hi Sir,
I’m now 31 Years old. I want to invest monthly 5000/- for a period of 15 to 20 years Horizon. I’m deciding to opt for the following.
1. Aegon Religare I maximize ulip plan(rs 2000/- monthly)
2. Sbi Subhnivesh/Kotak Capital Multiplier Plan/ HDFC Life Sampoorn Samridhi Insurance Plan.(rs 25000 PA)

Kindly suggest if ulip of religare is worth & from 2nd whicle one is good(kotak, sbi or HDFC)

I want have some good & guaranteed returns after 15/20 years. Please guide me.

Many Thanks.

Posted on April 21st, 2012

Radharanjan

If you want to have guaranteed returns , then you should put money in bank FD, all the other kind of investments will have some kind of risk . I would suggest you putting money in mutual funds through SIP over 10-15 yrs

Posted on April 23rd, 2012

Neetu says:

i am 35 . i have read ur blog recently & i found ur suggestion & guides really helpful to ppl like us with Nil knowlegde …U really r doing a great job …thanks a lot anyways i have recently started off with the investment plans . So far i have taken LIC 2k (10L insurance) plan & Tata Aig invest assure (2K) montly for 20 yrs PT. i want to take more plans with 50 to 75 L cover & also good returns , My agent has suggested that i take Aviva freedom Life advantage where the Sum assured is 1000000 , PT is 15 yrs , PPT 5 yrs , premium 100000(p.a) on my kids name so that the mortality charges r less & along with this take Aviva Life sheild on my name with the cover of 50 L (ROP) with 22000 premium (p.a) .. do u think i should go for this or should i take the freedom plan from Aviva & life insurance plan from LIC ..kindly suggest if u feel i can do any better ..Thanks In Advance

Posted on May 6th, 2012

Neetu says:

Hi after leaving on the last post i read ur answers & guides thoroughly and finally decided that i will not opt for any ULIP plan any more .. so i have decided to go for Birla sun life’s ”Birla Vision” for 5K montly for 25 yrs plan with life cover 12L…and also another 5K in Tata Aig’s ”Maha Life Gold” for 15 yrs with life cover 10L & lastly SBI’s ”smart sheild for 25 L policy for 30 yrs . I Hope i am doing the right thing this time . Ur Opinion will be highly apprieciated .Thanks a lot

Posted on May 7th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

These plans are worse then ULIP’s /.. never invest in “policies” , just take few mutual funds !

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Neetu says:

Thanks a lot for ur reply but what do u mean by ”policies”. I thought traditional plans are a sign of Safety even is the returns r not very rosy …aren’t Mutual Funds more riskier than ULIPs..

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Neetu

By policies I mean any products which combines insurance and investments , Yes Endowment products are Safe , 100% safe , but only in terms of return of your money + some basic returns like 4-5% .. Why do you need endowment plans in that case ,you can be better off in a Bank FD in that case .

Look at products from returns above inflation point , else you are loosing a lot .. I would suggest you get my book from flipkart and read its 3rd chapter on Equity and Debt , that will open up that concept very well for you , here is the link : http://www.flipkart.com/books/9380200415?affid=INManish2

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Neetu says:

Thanks a lot … i understand what u mean about traditional plan. But as u said ULips r no good then the only thing remains is mutual funds ….but what abt ppl like us u have zero knowledge abt M.F ..how will we know where, how & how much to go about it .

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Neetu

Truely speaking , you need much less info about mutual funds than you can imagine to start investing in mutual funds. I really suggest you to take few understanding about mutual funds first and then ask your questions on our forum http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum to get more idea .

To start with , I would suggest pick 2 funds – HDFC Prudence and DSPBR top 100 . Do a SIP in both the funds for 1 yrs . Dont look at them on regular basis !

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Neetu says:

Thanks a lot …i will read up more abt MF and also check out the funds u have suggested. Really thanks a lot again for ur suggestion i will keep in touch with the blog for more smart ideas.

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Just get term plan for life insurance and as I suggested some time back , take mutual funds

Posted on May 8th, 2012

Keith says:

First of all.. Nice work :-)
hey i have a Met smart plus (sum assured 12 lacs)
its on multiplier 100% allocation
i have paid the premium for the same for 3 yrs (dec 2006 till dec 2009)
after which i opted for the premium discontinuance (with the policy being active).
reason:i wasnt really happy as the total invested was 144000 (48000pa*3yrs) and the fund value till today hasnt really been good. i guess the market aswell hasnt been doing good since then.
Metlife charges a substantial sum if i take the money out so i dont have a choice but continue. so the service charges whatever is getting deducted every month.
few days back i got a call from met life asking me if i want to reinvest a part of my premium that i had paid to reinstate the policy. And this part that they would take out of my premium will be treated a partial withdrawal.

my question to you:
1. do u think i should go for it? (the partial withdrawal- for the premiums that i havent paid)
2. you think i should again start paying the premiums..which would mean that i wld have to first cover the premiums that i havent paid for so long since 2009.
3. or should i just wait for nother 4 yrs for the return charges comes to zero?

if i have confused yu then lemme know :-)

Any advice is appreciated.
Thankyou
Keith

Posted on July 8th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

I guess 5 yrs is now complete , you should now get 100% of your fund value , take it out now

Posted on July 9th, 2012

keith says:

metlife says it would charge 50% of a years premium if i withdraw now.. and every year it would fall by 10%. so by the end of 10th year it will be nil.

They want me to go for the partial withdrawal scheme..by which they would invest 80000 back to my insurance.

I am not sure if i should go for this or just stay put and wait for 10 yrs!!

i dont want to lose my money and in a way i am losing it bit by bit with the charges they levy every month.

How would the company benefit by reinvesting my own money?? m not able to understand that. and also would that be beneficial for me??

Thanks for the speedo reply..

regards
keith

Posted on July 9th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

I think you should check what does the document brochure says about withdrawing of your money, what ever is written there will apply !

Posted on July 9th, 2012

Vikas says:

Nice article.

I want to know , should i go for Aviva term insurance plan. I am 27 years and want to have term insurance plance for 50l.
What do you suggest ?

Posted on July 17th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Aviva is good ,go for it !

Posted on July 18th, 2012

Raj says:

Really nice, I was planning to take premium return term insurance. Now after reading your article I have decided for just term insurance.

Thanks for explaining by providing simple and easy understandable example.
Good work. Keep posting good articles.

Posted on August 28th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Good to know it helped you Raj !

Posted on August 28th, 2012

Honey says:

I have a LIC term insurance plan for which I am paying yearly premium of Rs. 10160.
Now, I am planning to shift to aviva term insurance with premium return plan.
For which I am supposed to pay Rs10577 yearly. so illustration u have given shows a major diff in premium but in this case their is a marginal difference. What whould you suggest ?

Posted on October 14th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

This is an old article, the new rates are very less

Posted on October 16th, 2012

Honey says:

I know
But I wanted to know your opinion …
I did lil research on premium ..Aviva charging hardly four thousand for a basic term plan whereas for ROP Rs. 10000….what you said in your example still applies.

Now I am planning to shift my policy to some other good company. Can you please suggest me few of them.

Posted on October 16th, 2012

You have other options like Kotak , HDFC life

Posted on October 19th, 2012

Shivaprasad R says:

I want to thank you for educating people like me on investment and planning.
I have taken Aviva Life Shield Advantage Plan (ROP) for Rs. 1 crore with an annual premium of Rs. 61500 (Rs. 40000 basic premium + Rs. 20000 as health extra, as I was diagnosed with high cholestrol levels) without any riders. The insurance agent told me that in case of normal policies (no ROP) the extra premium for health related issues will be 100% to 150% whereas for ROP policies it is 50%. If we consider Rs. 15000 as premium for non-ROP policy then the premium may increase upto Rs. 37500 (Rs. 15000 basic + Rs. 22500 health extra considering 150% increase). What is your take on this? Now I am thinking what I can do. Whether to stop this and take another policy or continue?

Posted on November 2nd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

You need to discuss this in detail here – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

Posted on November 6th, 2012

Abhi says:

Can you plz provide your review on EdleweissTokio online Term plan giving max of rider which are not available in other Online Term Plan??

Posted on December 13th, 2012

Its fine to go with them .. NO issues

Posted on December 19th, 2012

Pankaj says:

I am unfortuntly one of those who read your blog late. I guess I realised this pretty late that if its your money don’t trust anyone even if they are certified financial investors company, be vigilant.

I got trapped in TROP offered by aviva my policy has a term of 30 years with yearly premium of 16500/- and a cover of 50L.
I have already paid two permiums and i am thinking of not paying the third one, taking a new traditional term policy (with premium of 10000 and 1cr coverage) and investing the rest of the amount 6500/- in the PPF (8.8 %) for next 30 years. Do you think its a right thing to do or should i keep the existing one?

Posted on December 23rd, 2012

Biju says:

Hello Manish interesting read ..
I would like to get some clarification regarding splitting of term policies .What are the benefits for splitting of policy ?

Posted on December 23rd, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

I will give you the biggest one .

When you split a term plan into two , you have a choice later to stop one incase you want , if you do not split, the only option is to close the whole term plan and take a new one with lower sum assured , it will be high premium one because that time your age will be high .

Posted on December 24th, 2012

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, thats a right move . Go ahead !

Posted on December 24th, 2012

Sandeepan says:

Brilliantly written article! Removed all my confusion about these so-called “Return of Premium” term policies. Thank you for this highly informative post :)

Posted on June 7th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Welcome Sandeepan . Spread the knowledge !

Posted on June 8th, 2013

Rahul Chandrakant Amin says:

Dear Manishji,

I am 42 years of age and diabetic. I have quitted smoking 5 years back. I want to go for term insurance, PPF and SIP. Can you pls suggest what term plan and SIP i should invest.

Posted on July 5th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

HDFC click2protect and HDFC Prudence !

Posted on July 15th, 2013

sreenivas says:

good evening sir,
in insurance industry , in which company is best,andchoose term policy

Posted on July 20th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Kotak ,Aviva and HDFC are good options !

Posted on July 20th, 2013

sreenivas says:

hi sir
i had 2 children ,and which company i choose for term plan for high risk coverage
and better claim settlement in future if iam nomore ,what is ur valuables suggestions.
and children plans for future my childrens ;i want to take
term plan with combinations of children plans.
i will pay rs:25000 for annum ,so pls help choose ever good plans combinatios.
my age :30. children1:2yrs children2:02months

Posted on July 20th, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Can you put your questions points wise ?

Posted on July 29th, 2013

sreenivas says:

hi sir
term and child plan combinations tell me sir
my age :06/06/1983
my wife:31/10/1986
my son:05/02/2012
i will pay for annum: up to 25000
pls give u suggestions ,tem and combinations of plans
thanking u sir .its ugent

Posted on July 30th, 2013

Get a 1 crore term plan

Posted on July 31st, 2013

biju says:

sir,
nice reading with an easy illustration.Thanks
when i taken the home loan,bank asked me to take insurance plan to cope up with the unexpected emergency related with the my life.But i intend to take a term insurance plan other than offered from the bank.My age is 37 and loan amount is 12 lacs for 20 years.Can u suggest a term plan for this purpose?

thanking u
biju t n

Posted on August 23rd, 2013

Hdfc click2protect

Posted on August 29th, 2013

Rakesh says:

Nice contribution to leyman investment knowledge..

Keep posting such posts.. I’m loving it!! :)

Thanks & rgds,
Rakesh

Posted on September 10th, 2013

thanks Rakesh

Posted on September 18th, 2013

Chetan Ambi says:

Excellent article Manish !!

Posted on October 28th, 2013

Posted on November 4th, 2013

manohar says:

Hai manish, me and my brother have taken ULIP policies from lic namely lic money plus and market plus1 each with premium of Rs10000 per annum, 5 years ago.. Their performance is not good.. Do U suggest us to surrender them..

Posted on November 15th, 2013

Prabhash says:

Dear Manishji
Good day
I am a mariner & want to take a policy of 50 lacs for 20/25 years. Please advise me which term policy should i take, as i dont have any idea.

Thanks a lot

Prabhash

Posted on December 17th, 2013

Hi Prabhash

I can see you also opened a thread on our forum for this . Lets wait for answers there . From my side I can tell you that very few companies will be ready to give you term plan , You should look at some offline term plans . Contact each company in market and tell them you want it, see what they say ! .. There is no one company which is known to give it to mariners !

Posted on December 18th, 2013

prabhash says:

Dear Manishji
As i have checked on policybazar.com while showing that i am a mariner, there are few company like Aviva, Maxlife they have the option in their “profession” column, Marine. So should i take from there?
Please advise me that what are the things need to be checked before taking the term policy.

Prabhash

Posted on December 21st, 2013

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes please choose it from dropdown and move ahead . They might put some loading factor or deny it , but you cant do much from your side, go ahead !

Posted on December 25th, 2013

Mayank says:

thanks a lot first of all for posting such a easily understandable article.

i want to take your valuable advice for my future planning and will be highly thankful to you always.

(i am 24 year now and will take term plan for 54 year term.[because taking 30 year term will be probably make no sense. as in general average indian will not die till 70 year]

my current income is 4 Lakh per annum. and wish to take cover of 1 crore).

my budget is around 24,000 per year for term insurance + investment options.

i also wish to have corpus after 20 years around 10,00,000(in current value of rupee-please calculate inflation as i dont know how to calculate it :sorry for inconvinience).

what should i plan for the best possible return and that too considering life insurance in mind ???

i think i should buy term plan from AEGON for 1 crore (as it is the cheapest and longest cover provider )
so should i go for AEGON or change the company ? or split into two companies ?

but i have a doubt regarding their existence after 54 years ???
and second doubt is claim settlement ratio as i found that it is only 67% now a days for 2012-2013 ???

what do you suggest to me for above situation ???
pls. guide me and suggest the best looking into current trend …..

p.s :-can you meet me personally (or do you have any assistant) in surat,gujarat ???

THANKS A LOT N LOT N LOT IN ADVANCE…..WAITING FOR YOU BEST REPLY SOON…

Posted on January 16th, 2014

Hi Mayank

You should read this article – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2013/04/why-you-should-not-take-term-insurance-till-75-yrs.html

Posted on January 20th, 2014

mayank says:

thanx a lot first of all.

i have read the article you mentioned above. my question is that difference in premium is only 516 rupees per year for coverage till 75 year & 60 year. then why to take chance ? if i dont want to continue after 60 years of age then just stop paying premium and thats all. but in case i wish to go for new cover on that age it will be highly costly.
and another question is that why should WASTE money with insurance company by taking insurance till 60 years only ?as per general circumstances average age of indian is 75 currently. (instead take till 75 and pay around 150000 more to insurance company and take 1 crore is a better deal what i think) WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ?

AND sir , perhaps you missed my another question regarding 10,00,000 corpus after 20 years from today .. pls. reply on the same sir,

Thanks a lot once again.

Posted on January 24th, 2014

yashwant says:

Great review…

Posted on January 24th, 2014

yashwant says:

I have subsribed to term insurance from aviva ilife term is 35 years SA is 60lac age is 29 years, all this is along with health insurance for 30 years SA 10 lac from aviva, now could you please suggest me shall i continue with my LIC tarang or go with balanced and growth oriented MF or PPF, thank in advance

Posted on January 24th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

You can be with LIC tarang for investment reasons, from insurance point of view I think its anyways not a big amount and does not serve you !

Posted on January 30th, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

Mayank , you can go ahead if you are ok with the extra payment !

Posted on January 30th, 2014

yashwant says:

Sorry to bother you again

I have term insurance of 60 lac from AVIVA plus health insurnance of 10 lacs all this for term of 30 Years, would like to know shall i invest in PPF or MF or in both if i want to generate maximum out of my investment

Yashwant

Posted on January 31st, 2014

Manish Chauhan says:

Yes, you can invest in PPF or MF , but how is it related to your insurance part , they are totally seperate part !

Posted on January 31st, 2014