What is Form 15G and Form 15H

Form 15G and Form 15H are forms which can help a person avoid TDS incase one does not have to pay income tax at the end of the year. Form 15H is for senior citizens and form 15G is for others. In this article we will see how a person can avoid payment of TDS by submitting these forms 15G and 15H.

form 15H and form 15G

Suppose your Father has invested Rs 20 lacs in a Bank FD . He gets interest @8% , that’s Rs 1.6 lacs per year . Now ideally he is not supposed to pay any tax on this because this income is less than the limit . But bank cuts the TDS @10% and pays Rs 16,000 to the govt as TAX (Note that TDS is cut only when interest income is more than 10,000) . To get back this 16,000 back , your father will have to file tax return and then wait for the tax refund to come back .

What is TDS

TDS means tax deducted at source , what it means is that instead of paying tax at the end of the year , the tax will be levied on the income as and when it arises and hence taken in advance with assumption that anyways the tax has to be paid later . So TDS will arise when your salary comes , when interest of your bank account comes , winning of Lottery and many such things, the rate at which TDS is cut varies from one thing to another and also its different for Resident Indian and NRI’s . Note that in case of Bank deposits , the TDS rate is 10% provided one has furnished his PAN details , otherwise if PAN details are missing the TDS rate is 20% , where as for NRI’s who earn interest on their NRO’s account are subject to 30% TDS .

Download Form 15H & form 15G

Let me tell you what are form 15G and form 15H . In one line, These forms are self declaration forms to be submitted if total taxable income of a person is going to be less than the permissible limits . So if a person is sure that he will not be required to pay any tax in a particular year , then he can submit for 15H or 15G to avoid deduction of TDS from his interest income and other kind of incomes where TDS is applicable . Note that these forms are not applicable for NRI’s.

Form 15H can be submitted by a person who is above 60 yrs (w.e.f 1/4/11) . An important point here is that a person should have not have paid any tax in the previous year . So only if one didn’t have any tax liability in previous year can submit form 15H . It should be submitted at the start of the year itself , so that TDS can be avoided , there is no point in submitting this at the end of financial year because by then TDS would be cut anyways . Form 15H can not be submitted by HUF’s .

Form 15G has the same purpose as Form 15H , just that this form should be submitted by a person below 60 yrs old (w.e.f 1/4/11) . Also this form can be submitted by HUF’s . Rest all things are common between 15G and 15H .

Download  Form 15G

Download Form 15H

How NRI’s can avoid TDS or reduce the interest on TDS

Any Non Resident Indian from whose Income the Tax is likely to be deducted at source can apply to obtain exemption for tax deduction provided his/her taxable Income in India is less than Rs.1,50,000/- per year. Or if the tax likely to be deducted is more than the estimated tax liability, is eligible to apply for certificate permitting deduction of tax at lower rate. The income tax department generally issues Exemption Certificate for a period of 1 to 3 years.

Any NRI who has obtained Exemption Certificate need to submit it to the Payer of the income who will follow the certificate and not deduct tax or may deduct at a lower rate as given. If there is genuine mistake in representation for obtaining the Exemption Certificate, no penalty is attracted. However you may have to pay interest if you are liable to pay income tax later on. More info on this link

Thanks for Lokesh for this info

These forms have to be furnished separately for each financial year. For eg – If you have a 5 year FD, you’ll have to furnish Form 15G/Form 15H separately for each year. It is advised that you do the same in the beginning of the year to avoid any wrong dedcution of TDS. Are these form 15G and Form 15H applicable to you

Want FREE HELP in buying right health insurance policy for you ? Get Free Help Now

1 Ajay June 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Manish – Good one.
The 15G forms seems to be confusing. There is no place that says “Interest from FD pr other accounts”. Is it possible for you to put a sample filled 15G for all of our reference.

2 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

Ajay

If you look at schedule 3 , you can put your interest rate and other details there . also the form 15G is not only for the bank interest , its applicable everywhere , so dont look for specific wordings .

3 shinu June 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm

perfect time you wrote on the subject as i too is in a bit of fix in this regard. I am an NRI and have an NRO deposit with federal bank (which is the only bank which had offered me a TDS of 10% instead of 30% as you mentioned) . But they didnt assist me with a 15G form though i asked but said may be i can reclaim the 10% by a tax refund claim. i am still looking for the right way to act. hope someone will assist.

Shinu

4 Srinivas June 20, 2011 at 6:18 am

Form 15G and 15H are applicable to resident indians only.

5 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

Shinu

As Srinivas mentioned , these forms are applicable for Residents only . You should ask the bank why didnt they assist you , mainly they should give you these reasons which you are finding on this blog .

6 Shinu June 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Srinivas & manish

Now a bundle of doubts…may be too preliminary, still appreciate your time.
Is it mandatory to have a tax file to claim a refund later? How easier it is as this is the only taxable product i have? can it be done online? For an FD started in April 2011 and maturing in April 2013 when these filing to be done? Can i get deductions for having insurance products on this?

Thanks in advance

Shinu

7 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2011 at 8:47 am

Shinu

You will have to file the tax return to get your tax refunds . But if you have done the FD in Apr 2011 , now is the time to give your Form 15G and file the tax return only next year .

8 Karuna June 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm

hi Manish
very informative article…my question is more or less the same above,(Mr: Shinu’s) being a NRI i wanted to know weather i can take advantage of 15G and 15 H to get away from TDS from my NRO FD

9 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 10:53 am

Karuna

No , these forms are not applicable for NRI’s

10 CA Karan Batra June 20, 2011 at 1:27 am

Would like to add another important point to the above article that these forms have to be furnished separately for each financial year.

For eg – If you have a 5 year FD, you’ll have to furnish Form 15G/Form 15H separately for each year. It is advised that you do the same in the beginning of the year to avoid any wring dedcution of TDS

CA Karan Batra

11 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 10:54 am

Karan

thanks , I will put up this point very clearly in the article .

12 CA Karan Batra June 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Manish, I would like to highlight another point that TDS on Interest is deductible only in case of Fixed Deposits and not for Savings Account.

So even if your Interest on Savings Account (which was recently increased to 4%) is more than 10,000, no TDS would be deductible on the same

13 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Karan

Oh , I didnt knew that . thanks for letting us know what . Another question I had was , is there no way an NRI avoid TDS ? they are not eligible for these forms , but there has to be some way for some one who will not pay tax at the end and his TDS is cut

14 Sohil June 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

Also I guess 15G forms are to be filled by people who dont have other source of income or they are sure that their income wont cross basic taxable limit(even after investing in 80C they come under nil tax,they shouldn’t file this form).
I have seen bank people suggesting to avoid tax on fds just filled the form.But the criteria is other(Income from fd and all other income should be below basic tax limit) and if wrongly done one can be penalized if i am not wrong.

15 Raheja Amar May 30, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I have seen even bank people suggesting to avoid tax on fds just fill the form 15G/H.But the criterion is other(Income from fd and all other income should be below basic tax limit). If wrongly submitted, how to rectify?

16 Manish Chauhan May 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm

There is no rectification . You should know the rules before submitting !

17 RAHEJA AMAR June 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

Form 15H has been submitted by an individual who id not eligible, what is the interest/fine or the procedure to reconcile with income tax office.

18 Manish Chauhan June 8, 2013 at 11:34 am

We are not aware about it . It would be 300% of the penalty !

19 arundhati February 25, 2014 at 9:05 pm

hi i have a FDR in the month of jan 2014 when i will file 15h form

20 Manish Chauhan March 2, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Do it before March End

21 vedanth June 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Sir, I am a retired person. all these years , and i am paying income tax on my retirement benefits ever since my retirement . My wife now attained the age of 60 and has become senior citizen. To avail the tax deduction of Rs 2.50 lakhs , i wish to give some of my deposits to my wife , so that i also need not pay tax. How best I can do about this.I sit enough if i write my intetion on a stamped paper and kept with me?if so what is the stampage?kindly advise me sir.

22 Manish Chauhan July 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Vedanth

You cant do it like this . There would be clubbing rules applicable in your case .

23 H G Sadhwani September 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

What if tax payable exceeds taxable limit for F.Y. 2011-2012 ? If an individual pays advance tax/es in Sept or Dec & March 2012, and if he has submitted Form 15 G to Banks, is it right for now ?

24 Manish Chauhan September 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

HG Sadhwani

You dont have to submit 15G if you have any doubt that your income will increase than the limit , its only for them who are sure that there income wont rise . Like a retired person who gets bank interest .

25 Manish S June 20, 2011 at 2:27 am

You forgot to mention that,form submission should only be done if you anticipate that you wont be falling into the tax bracket for the Financial year(your income would be less than the minimum taxable income).
If you are salaried and have an taxable income,you Should NOT submit the form. I have seen many persons with income 6 Lakh PA submitting these. In such cases you need to pay taxes on interest and hence submitting form 15 G/H is wrong.

–Manish S

26 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

I have mentioned it already, look at the para below the embedded PDF

27 Srinivas June 20, 2011 at 9:42 am

Useful information to many. I suggested this to my father who is using this regularly.

Just a digression. Hindu undivided family is a good concept which can be utilised by many to their advantage. However, the concept is new to many. Would like a post on the same.

thanks.

28 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

Srinivas

HUF is long pending thing I have to write on :)

29 CA Karan Batra June 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Yes, HUF is a very useful Legal way of avoiding tax and we advise all our clients to make the benefit of forming HUF :)

30 Nitin Gupta June 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm

pls write the details of HUF. I already have a PAN as an individual, now is it possible fo me to get benefit as HUF?

31 M Anand Kumar June 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

Do we have to submit 15G form every financial year?

Some personal experience which would be useful to everyone:
I had recently submitted my 15G form for the sweep account in SBI for the financial yr 2011-2012.
My interest income was more than 10k (summation of interest income of sweep accounts every month) and TDS was happening 10%, 20%, 30% and even 40% on certain interest income of certain sweep accounts though PAN card number was already present. On my conversation with Bank Manager, I submitted the 15G form to avoid TDS and agreed upon to pay the tax on interest income myself.
Well now i have file the tax return to claim the excess tax deducted from income tax department, as i have the bank TDS statement of sweep accounts.
Reason for explaining this is certain things go on in the back end and we will not be aware of this; as these information were not present in my bank account transaction details. I got this info from e-tax statement under e-tax option.
Note: If we break the sweep account partially or completely within a yr, then interest income credited will be for the debited amount wrt interest rates for the term. eg: 10k @8.5% for an yr. Debited 5k after 3 months then interest earned for 3 months will be credited (probably 2%) as per bank norms and not at 8.5% minus TDS @10% of interest earned.

32 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

M Anand

Yes ,you need to give form 15G every year.

What are those things which has TDS at 40% ? Also what is the conclusion of your comment , May be we need more clarity from you ?

33 M Anand Kumar June 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

Tax deductions of certain sweep accounts interest income were happening at 20%,30%, 40% though i come under 10% slab.

Hence the conclusion is that submit 15G form to avoid tax deductions from Bank’s end and pay the tax on interest income at the end of financial yr urself. :-)

34 Srinivas June 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm

TDS is maintained at the lowest tax slab level.

The idea of 15G is that if your income is below the lowest tax slab, you can avoid paying TDS. However, if you are in 10% tax bracket, form 15G cannot be given as in it(form 15G), you are declaring that you have no taxable income.
In such cases TDS certiciate can be attached and final tax paid can be reduced to that extent.

The other point, 20,30,40% tax on interest, you have to discuss with the Branch manager whether it(your info) is correct and if so basis for the same. Currently tax at the highest slab is 30%. And TDS is done at the lowest level only. Even if your salary is in 20 or 30% bracket, the tax due to %differnce need to be paid by respective individual.

If BM confirms that 20,30 or 40% is the norm, you may like to take this up with higher authorities.

regards

35 M Anand Kumar June 20, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Srinivas,

Thanks for providing more clarity on 15G form. After submitting 15G form, PAN number is removed from my bank account number. Removal of PAN number is now making sense.

BM told me that as TDS is deducted and submitted to IT Dept for the financial yr 2010-11; it’s not possible to refund from Bank’s end. Therefore he gave me the TDS certificate to claim the excess deducted amount from IT Dept.

Since there was no further tax deduction from Banks end, i didn’t get into details of faulty system which is in place.

Anand

36 Asim June 20, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hi Manish !
That’s one more useful article.
Tell Me,If my total taxable income is going to be more than permissible limits, can I still fill form 15G ? will be it wrong declaration in such case ? It sounds convenient to pay tax at the end of the year myself rather than bank deducting. can you guide me?

37 Manish Chauhan June 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Asim

hmm.. i think it should be fine to submit these forms even if your income is above the limit , because these are the self declaration forms and there is no way to check if your income was really above or below the limit .

38 CA Karan Batra June 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Although these are self-declaration forms, it is advised not to give wrong declarations.
I mean you’ll have to pay the tax today or tomorrow but if the Income Tax Officers come to know about the same, they hv the power to charge you with a case of Tax Evasion as false filing for the purpose of non-deduction of TDS is a punishable offense

39 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2011 at 8:43 am

Karan

I didnt think of it that way , My bad .

So what you are saying is that we should not give wrong declaration , even if we intend to give all the tax at the end of the year for convinience purpose . Got it

40 CA Karan Batra June 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

yar aise to sab wrong declaration dena shuru kar denge and the whole purpose of deducting TDS would be spoiled.

so, it is always advisable not to give any wrong declaration

41 Sohil July 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Yes as i said before a lady in bank said my mom to fill this form so that tds dont gets deducted.My mom did the same.Later when i came to know i gave a word to the lady to correctly mention when to fill the form.
She said that my mom was a housewife to that i say i file her returns as earning lady and her income goes way par taxable limit and you will bring her under penalty clause with you deed.

So again as CA karan said,one needs to be careful while filing the form.Even if by making 80c investment ones incomes goes below taxable limits than also he/she shouldn’t fill the form.Pay tds and than file return to get refund .If done online refund return wont take time.

42 Rahul January 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Sir
I have planned to leave my Job and go for higher education (MBA), so I submitted Form 15G, but as I was not selected in the CAT test I continue my job and now I am in taxable income of 10%. What shall I do now?

43 Manish Chauhan January 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Should be ok .. not an issue .. the only thing is TDS will not be cut, you will have to pay the tax manually !

44 Rahul January 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thanks a Lot! ….

45 RAHEJA AMAR June 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

Can you explain it further vis-a-vis filing 15G/15H forms that even if not eligible we can file 15G/15H forms , if we intend to give all the tax at the end of the year for convinience purpose . Got it “

46 Manish Chauhan June 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

Not sure what you are asking

47 Puneet June 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Another thing is, make sure to get confirmation / acknowledgement from the bank for these forms.
It happened with my mother, the bank conveniently did not updated the form15 submitted details in their online system, and we ended up getting TDS deducted at the end of the year.

48 Srinivas June 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

True. As a matter of principle, we should ideally keep a receipt of all documents provided to any institution, not only financial institutions. With massive increase of transactions at a branch, it is quiet possible to misplace a document. In such cases, receipts will help a lot.

49 Vanga Rajendra Prasad June 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

If TDS is to be done on the interest of your fixed deposit, give specific mandate to the bank to deduct tax from your saving account, but not from the fixed deposit. Ex: you have fixed deposit of Rs 30,00,000/- in bank and the interest on that is Rs 240000/-which is credited to your account in a year. If you have not given mandate to deduct TDS from your Saving account, bank will deduct TDS of Rs 24000 from the principal amount of Rs 30 lakhs. Next year you will get interest on 2976000/- only. If that is deducted from SB account you will be losing 4% interest only. But deduction from Fixed deposit will deprive you more than 8%

50 Manish Chauhan June 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

that was something new information , how do we give directions to bank about this ? Is there any format or form for that ?

51 Vanga Rajendra Prasad June 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm

No format. Just write simple letter addressed to BM..and dont forget to get acknowledgement

52 Manish Chauhan June 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Good :)

53 SAURAV June 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Yaar Manish kuch samajh mein nai aaya, seems now I’ve 2 dig reliable stuff on Indian taxation rules, can any1 help me? any site, books, blogs/sites on taxation as good as Manish’s will do… thanks

54 Manish Chauhan June 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Saurav

What is it that you are not clear about ?

55 Sahit June 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Now this rule has changed w.e.f. 1/4/2010 a new sec 206AA has inserted that says “In case of certain payments (Eg: Interest), where party was allowed to declare on Form 15G / 15H for non-deduction of tax, earlier many were not used to provide PAN. But, newly introduced section, makes such payments, if eligible for TDS, to compulsory quote the PAN. This means in such case where PAN is not-available/invalid, TDS has to be charged at higher rate, not ZERO irrespective of Form 15G / 15H.”

Read more: http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DitTaxmann/FinanceAct/FinAct20092/Finact69.htm

56 Manish Chauhan June 22, 2011 at 10:24 am

Sahit

thanks for thhat info :)

57 chandra May 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

i am 58year old i pension taken 102000 p.a. and 2 fixed deposit one is 1 lac and second one is 5000 same branch i donot have pan card . so my queston question iscan i submit 15G form a and i file tax return if i do the pan card if i have pan card is it nessery t to file tax return every year . what i do for no tax didecton please answr me

58 Manish Chauhan May 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

No you dont have to file the return because your income is below the taxable limits .

You should file a form 15G in your case

59 Hitesh June 23, 2011 at 5:42 am

Appreciate if you can write article regarding NRI for these type of forms.

Hitesh

60 Manish Chauhan June 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hitesh

These forms are not applicable for NRI’s !

61 VINOD K June 24, 2011 at 10:51 am

DEAR MR. MANISH/CA KARAN/SRINIVAS

I SUGGEST THAT TO AVOID TDS HASSLES , AN INDIVIDUAL HAVING INCOME FROM INTEREST ETC EXCEEDING LIMIT CAN ALSO SUBMIT 15G/15H AND DEPOSIT ADVANCE TAX ON DUE DATES.
IT SHOULD BE OK UNDER IT ACT BECAUSE ULTIMATELY GOVT IS CONCERNED TO GET TAX FROM ASSESSEES.
PLEASE GIVE UR OPINION ON THE POINT SUGGESTED.
REGARDS,
VINOD

62 CA Karan Batra June 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

The Indian Govt very well knows the mentality of Indians. They know that Indians dont like to pay taxes from their own Pocket and that is why they have introduced the concept of TDS and TDS is now being implemented on all payments.

Vinod, No-one will go and pay taxes on Interest Income and always try to hide the same.

Govt very well knows the mentality of Indians and that is why they have made Non-Deduction of TDS by false certification is a punishable offence.

63 Srinivas June 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

There are 2 scenarios.

No taxable income or taxable income.

If there is no taxable income, 15G/H forms.

If there is taxable income, as indicated, there is no much difference between TDS and payment at the end of the year, but for the time lag. It may be difficult to pay a lumpsome at the end of the year and TDS may obviate this problem.

Also giving this form when one knows that his income crosses the tax limit may not be correct.

Also, now from the PAN number, ITO can see the bank details(of all accounts) of an individual for the period concerned. This can create issues if incorrect form is submitted.

64 lokesh June 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm

65 lokesh June 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm

please read “Rs.1,50,000/- per year” as “exemption limit for current A.Y.”

66 Raj June 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

My wife is a homemaker, could it be possible to open up a joint account, and make her as the primary account holder, and then put up some 5 Lakh and then submit 15G to avoid taxes.

I believe this is completely legal, and smart move? Please advice.

Thanks, Nawaz

67 CA Karan Batra June 24, 2011 at 11:57 am

Yes, you can always do this.

This is completely Legal and most of the Tax Payers are doing this. We always recommend our clients to split your Income with your Family Members, if their Slab Rates are unutilised

68 Sohil July 19, 2011 at 6:58 pm

But Karan sir wont that income also be clubbed with Raj income?

69 ram June 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm

1. Can 15G/H be submitted by a NRO depositor to avoid tax?
2. Is NRI eligible any concession on 30% (tax on NRO int. amt)
if the NRI is residing at Singapore (under double taxation scheme)?

Pl clarify………….Ram

70 Manish Chauhan June 25, 2011 at 10:21 am

Ram

No , these forms are not for NRI’s , its only for resident !

71 Sidharth June 25, 2011 at 3:54 am

nice post.
For example-
mr x’s income in FY 2011=280000 i.e 240000(salary) 40000 (income from FD ) and he invest 100000 (u/s 80 C).
PY-no tax liability.
#Can he still file 15G ? (as after 80C his taxable income is only 180000)
#what will be ur ans of above question if-interest of 40000 came from different branch/bank (<10000 frm a branch/bank)

excuse typo error-send frm mobile.

72 Manish Chauhan June 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

Sidharth

Yes , he will be eligible to submit 15G , as his taxable income would be less than the limit and he dont have to pay any tax at the end of the year . If he has less than 10k interest from different branch , then there is no need to fill this form as there wont be any TDS ! . But if its more than 10k , then he has to submit that form to each branch !

73 Sohil July 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm

JUst for sharing::

Though eligible i guess on taxguru on cnbc awaz i heard by CA Subhash lakhotia that its not a correct practice to do as the form rule states its to be file by those whose income fall below taxable limit without investing or you have income only from interests nothing else.Though you are correct but assessing officer if send a letter(notice) than he is also not wrong as it have been seen they taking undue advantage of language of the law(personal experience by the CA).

His advice was to shift fd with different branches such that in 1 branch your fd interest doesnt exceed 10,000 limit as mentioned by Manish Sir.

74 anubhav July 6, 2011 at 11:08 am

After reduction of the Senior citizen age from 65 years to 60 years, what form, 15G or 15H will be applicable for a person below 65 years and above 60 years of age5

75 Manish Chauhan July 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Anubhav

Now Form 15G is for people below 60 and 15H for above 60

76 Raman dev suri July 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm

A person got fixed deposits odf rs 8000000 and intt comes to rs 700000 and already submitted form 15 h whether he is liable to pay tds

77 Sohil July 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

FIrst getting amount more than 50,000 as interest in a year from fd will compulsory applies tds unless/untill you get a letter from income tax officer saying tds shouldnt be applied to it as your income is lower than taxable limits.I am not sure but this rule exists i am sure.Any ca or bank officer can confirm it.

Now you saying 7 lakhs as interest.& lakhs is the interest you earn on your principal.Its the money you earn and basic income tax limit is 1 lakh 80k something.Its bound to be taxed.

Plus ill say dont do the mistake o f filling the form else you will be penalized heavily for giving faulty information as your letter stands a proof in law for your misdeed even though you stand ignore to the rule of the land as it carries your signature.

78 Raman dev suri July 19, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I am working in bank and i want to get for my working in the bank

79 chandra grover August 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

fin. year 11-12.
In the case of a Sr.citizon.
expected tax on total income Rs.4,900.
on fd tds will be 14900/-.
if deposit advance tax on expexted total income, it will be less than tds.
whethther he can submit 15h and avoid tds /refund etc., he will deposit tax himself and file the return.

80 Manish Chauhan August 6, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Chandra

No , he cant use 15g ,because he has to pay tax at the end

81 Swathi Reddy August 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

thanks for the information i had cleared my dought.comment and the responses are very helpful.thank you.

82 Manish Chauhan August 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Swathi

Good to hear that

83 mukesh bhatia August 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm

rs 100000/-deposit in sahara india fixed scheme in the name of my son .he is minor.can i submitted 15 g form with my PAN NO ? i am not tax payer . pl reply mukesh bhatia jaisalmer

84 Sohil August 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

SIrjee avoid sahara.Even investing in muthoot finance is advisable in comparision to sahara.

There is case going between sebi and sahara regarding similar scheme going from the company side.

85 mukesh bhatia August 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm

my actual question is CAN I SUMITTED 15G WITH MY PAN NO . I HAVE NOT PAN NO OF MY SON HE IS MINOR.PL REPLY

86 lokesh November 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

mukesh

As per present income tax guidelines, banks are required to deduct tax at source (TDS) on deposits if the total interest earned on all your fixed deposits in a bank is more than Rs.10,000 in a financial year. (as per these guidelines even if a fixed deposit is in the name of a minor TDS is deducted). However, the depositors can claim the credit for such TDS in their income tax returns. (Now a days such deducted TDS is reflected in AS26 which can be downloaded from income tax site. (in case of minors, this credit for TDS can be claimed by the person who manages the minor’s income.)

87 Vikas August 23, 2011 at 10:06 am

I am unemployed presently and going to invest in a commercial retail co. and will get interest income from them in the form of PDC’s. Now the Form -15G, which i will submit to the co. shall i download it from the website and filled myself and give it to co. directly or take it from the bank and filled by them and submit there. Please tell me the procedure how to submit Form-15-G to the co.

Thanks & regards

88 Manish Chauhan August 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Vikas

You can sumbut form 15G by downloading it from any where .. Also note that you need to submit it only if you know that your tax liability will be NIL

89 Vikas August 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Thanku Manish for the swift reply..
One thing more, If i submit form 15G to the comp. and it is valid for 1 year right? But in the mid of the year if again i invest more and get more interest income from them and which crosses tax liability then what would be the impact….

90 Manish Chauhan August 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Vikas

In that case you should not submit form 15G , it has to be submitte only when you are “sure” that your taxable income will be below the limit .

91 Vishal September 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

What are the options for retired NRIs (my parents) aged 60 and 67 to alleviate or get a refund on TDS for Fixed Deposits ? The interest income is over 5 lakhs per annum. They have no other income apart from this interest income. Thank you.

92 Manish Chauhan September 29, 2011 at 8:41 am

Vishal

In that case , why will they get the TDS back ? They have to pay the income tax ! . Note that these forms are for those epople who do not come into tax bracket

93 Vishal September 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I read there was 5 lakh exemption for NRI senior above 65 years. They are aged 60 and 67.

Do they have to pay any more tax apart from the TDS that is cut automatically ?

I was not asking about RI forms 15G and 15H. I understand that does not apply since my parents are NRIs.

I am having them consult an accountant but would like to know more myself.

Thank you for your input.

94 Manish Chauhan October 4, 2011 at 9:46 pm

vishal

Truely speaking its just a waste rule .. there are so many restrictions , that almost no one will be able to avail it ..

95 Arundhati October 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I am a salaried professional. last week I wanted to make FD of 1 lac at 9.50% interest rate for 2 years. I was told if I apply 15G declaration, no tax would be deducted from my FD. I did not know about the clause for non-earning people in form 15G.
I already file return through my company. So now how does it work out? Is what I did was illegal?

Thanks & Regards
Arundhati

96 Manish Chauhan October 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Arundhati

If your earnings in a year are more than your limits , then you cant file 15G, only if you are not going to pay any tax adn you know about it , then file 15g else not

97 ASHOKE KUMAR DEB October 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Many many thanks, Manishji,

What a article you have choosed.. I really grateful to you. I just find this type
of article for Father-in-law. I want to know, If a retired person to do a FD, why
bank authority cann’t suggest that thing, which may people are in a dark this
type of FD.

Thanks a lot…..

98 Manish Chauhan October 23, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Ashoke

Good to hear that you benefitted from this article :) . keep reading

99 raj November 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm

wonderful discussion ..

my query is that for an FD of 3 years if a person submits form 15g on 3rd year..so can tds deducted during 1st 2 years (which was deducted during 2years ) be returned??

100 Manish Chauhan November 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Raj

NO, it will not be returned

101 lokesh November 11, 2011 at 10:06 pm

raj

TDS deducted by banks from interest is deposited to income tax department quarterly, so refund will not be possible after quarter end (june, sept, dec, march).

102 rajesh November 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm

how i maintain tax returns i am salary holder and i getting some other money.I had ppf and f.d pl.tell how i maintain tax deduction.I had land property (HUF) so what sujest to tax saving matter.

103 Manish Chauhan November 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Rajesh

Your question is not clear and exactly what you want to achieve. Please meet a tax planner or CA for this .

104 Krishna November 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm

It must be 65 Years. You have mentioned as the 60 Years

105 lokesh November 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Age limit reduced to 60 Years from A.Y. 2012-13

106 williams December 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Declaration under sub-section (IC) of Section 197 A of the Income Tax Act 1961, is to be made by an individual who is of the age of 65 years, for claiming certain receipts without deduction of tax. Has this rule been amended to read 60 years after the Budget Presentation in Feb ’11 ? If so what is the authority for the same – Is there a Circular or Notification.

In the event of the reduction in age to 6o years, how will we read section 80D and 80DDB, as per which for deduction in case of senior citizens, it is still 65 years (Form H, as existed earlier) .

107 Manish Chauhan December 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Now its 60 yrs

108 Neeraj Mohan January 15, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I am thinking of making an 4 yr FD of 1,00,000 in SBI at 9.25% compounded quaterlly.
In this case simple interest will be less than 10000. But my doubt is whether they calculate simple interest or compound interest?
My compound interest in 4th year may be above 10000 right…so is it taxable?
or should i reduce the amount to 90000 so that interest will be less than 10000?
I am student.

109 Neeraj Mohan January 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm

sorry… i mean whether they will calculate simple or compound interest to calculate income tax…. they ony tell that intrest/year should b less than 10000 for no tax

110 Manish Chauhan January 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Neeraj

Rememeber that interest on FD is always taxable .. even if you earn Rs 100 as interest even that is taxable . What you are talking about is TDS , if interest is more than 10k in one year , then TDS is cut by bank itself .

So now if you choose the Cumulative FD , which means that the interest gets accumulated and you get it only on maturity , then the interest will be more than 10k and TDS will be cut in tht year .. but if you choose “quarterly payout” then each quarter the intetrest will be paid out to you and this situation will not arise

111 Neeraj Mohan January 15, 2012 at 10:27 pm

okay.. now its clear ..thank u so much..!
can u suggest a investmet option for 3 to 5 yrs.
i have 2 lakh to invest. this is my first earning, i dont have any investments yet.
how should i start?

112 Debobrata Ghosh January 18, 2012 at 12:57 am

Last yr i hve submitted 15g for my mother 4 FD’s.i,e., prevoius year ending 31.03.12. Assesement year 2012 – 2013 . whit i found is tht bank credited int on every quarter . Principal was 55000/- int on maturity was 4609/- . What i shock most is tht total int was not coming to the actual maturity amount . my fear is that whether they have debited some amount money or i should get refunded. i have the xerox of 15G .wht happens if bank fails to submit 15G will one get back i TDS deducted amount???

Kindly reply…
D. ghosh

113 Manish Chauhan January 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Debobrata

The bank will not cut TDS if the interest is less than 10k , so in your case there was no requirement of submitting form 15G .. but anyways .. what difference do you see ? can you give details ?

You get your TDS only through tax returns refund .. not from bank

114 Aseef January 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Dear sir,
I joined a 5 yr tax saving fd at sbi for 1 lakh @9.25% on jan 25 2012.
will i get exemption of 100000 under 80c for AY 2012-2013?
when i file returns for ay 2012-2013,should i include income from interests of this fd? If yes ,please tell me how much amount..thanks and regards…

115 Manish Chauhan January 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Aseef

You will get exemption of 1 lac only for 2011-12 , for which you will file the return in 12-13 , The interest has to be taxable in the year when its accrued

116 Aseef January 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm

hi Manish,thanks for the reply.
Is a tax saving fd deposited as late as ,say,march25 this year eligible for deduction under80c for this year?..thanks

117 Manish Chauhan January 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Aseef

Yes .. but the only problem is that how do you show the investments at the moment ? What you will have to do is claim a tax refund when you file for returns

118 Rajesh February 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

Dear sir,
I have a salaried saving a/c. I joined a 5555 days fd(two nos ) at sbi for 2 lakh each @9.25% . Do I have to submit 15 G every financial year to stop TDS or only once. Even if TDS stopped, does it affect my salaried income. Should I show FD interest while filing income tax return after financial year ?

119 CA Karan Batra February 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

Yes, Form 15G is applicable for only 1 Financial year and you will have to submit a new form for each new financial year.

Yes, you have to show your Interest from FD’s under Income from Other Sources while filing your Income Tax Returns

120 Rajesh February 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

Does FD interest taxable if it is above 10000 INR @ SBI ?

121 CA Karan Batra February 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Interest on FD is taxable irrespective of how much interest you have earned

However, in case your Interest during a financial year is more than Rs. 10000, TDS would also be deducted on the same.

And in case you dont want your TDS to be deducted, the above Forms as specified in the above article by Manish need to be furnished

122 Murthy February 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

Guys, Appreciate if some one can help with an answer to this… If a person is paying tax in another country and comes under ‘double tax avoidence rule”, he need not pay tax for his/her Indian salary income. This being the case, does this rule applicable to Bank interest and Long term capital gain (in shares) also? How one can avail this facility and avoid paying tax on interest earned??
murthy

123 Manish Chauhan February 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Murthy

The right place to ask this is : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

124 M.Pravallika February 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm

How these forms 15 g/ 15h helpful for salaried employees?

125 Manish Chauhan February 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Pravallika

Its only helpful if your taxable income is going to be below tax levels , else not

126 SANJAY LAHA February 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Though my total income is taxable, I submit 15G against FDs to bank and add my bank interest to the income while computing income tax, so that maturity value of the FDs are intact and all the tax is deducted through my office DDO. Please suggest whether I should do otherwise.

127 Manish Chauhan February 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Sanjay

I dont think you should be submitting 15G at all .. its not right when your salary is taxable .

128 Prof.D.V.R.Rajakumar February 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I have a regular salary income exceeding the taxable limit. I am 60 years 7 months old. I had put an FD of Rs. 10 lakhs in Nov. 2011 and given the certificate to my company for regular tax deuction. Bank alos has deducted 10%. How to avoid this almost 40% deduction. Bank manager says If I give 15 G no tax will be deducted at source. But all your info says it is a wrong declaration. Should I allow both deduct and ask for refund form IT department. What is the solution

129 Manish Chauhan February 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm

No you cant submit 15G as you have to pay the tax at the end of the year . Why is your company deducting the tax on this FD ? How is it related ?

130 Lukhey February 29, 2012 at 1:14 am

I am a salaried individual in 30% tax bracket. My wife is not working and has no income; and we have never filed returns for her in India ever. In Jan’2012, I have created fixed deposits with a bank for 30Lakhs @ 9.25% for 10 years in her name. Now, the banker recommended giving Form15G to avoid TDS deduction on interest amount earned on these FD’s. Now, i have the following questions:
1. Is it legal for my wife to sign Form15G ?
2. It the overall interest crosses the 1.8L limit, what needs to be done? Can we use 80C to make some investments etc to save taxes?

131 Manish Chauhan March 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Lukhey

1. Yes , she has to sign it as its in her name .

2. If the interest crosses 1.8 lacs , in that case you need to pay tax , but you can invest in 80C products and save tax . But the point is that all the income earned will be treated as your income, not hers ! .

132 Sharabbi Munda March 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm

My mother who is a NRI, had earned approx Rs. 1.3 lacs over a 3 yr period on a FDR. On muturity she was charged 30% tax on the intrest earned. As she has no other income in India and tax has already been deducted by the bank, is ther any way to get this TAX refunded. I live in UK and here you can ask for a tax refund going back upto 6 years. Thanks

133 Manish Chauhan March 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Sharabbi

YEs you can file for returns and ask for your tax refund .. Do it this time for sure .. also you can avial for online tax filing

134 Milind Sawant March 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I am a bank officer want to submit the forms 15g and 15h of my branch to ITO please send me sample filled by banker for form 15g and 15h submitted to ITO for financial year ending 31.03.2012

135 Manish Chauhan March 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

The samples links are there , download it and fill it up

136 Sagar March 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Hello. I hv a qery. Suppose my wife’s income from salary is Rs 16000 p.m. and interest income from bank FD is Rs 56,000 for the AY 2011-12. Thus her total annual income is Rs 2,48,000. But she had deposited Rs 70,000 in her PPF A/c. in AY 2011-12. So effectively her Tax liability comes to Nil considering that no tax is payable upto Rs 1,90,000 and then upto Rs 1,00,000 can be invested under Sec80C. My qerries are 1. Am I right in assuming that her tax liability is Nil ? 2. Is she eligible to submit Form 15 G in Bank for AY 2012-13 since her Tax liability will be Nil, even though her Total income is Rs 2,48,000 and not below Rs 1,90,000 ? Regards Sagar.

137 Manish Chauhan March 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Sagar

1. Yes . her tax will be NIL

2. Yes, she can submit form 15G because she knows in advance that her tax will be NIL .

138 Karthik March 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

My wife is doing an internship for 6 months with a stipend of 20,000 p.m. i.e., a total of 1,20,000 which is well below the limit of 1,90,000 for women. Can she avoid TDS at her company by filing 15G. Kindly explain.

139 Manish Chauhan March 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Karthik

Not sure if companies accept form 15G . In worst case she will have to file the tax return !

140 binu March 9, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I usually make tax saver investments towards the end of a financial year. So ,can i submit form 15g earlier in the year to avoid tds because i am planning on tax saving investments later ..

141 Manish Chauhan March 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Binu

No , your cant submit 15G in your case . It has to be submitted in the start of the year and only by those hwo know that they are not going to pay any tax .

142 Biswajit Maji March 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Sir,

UBI has deducted Rs.675.00 as a tax against my mother FD on 23.02.2012. She have no PAN card. How can my mother will take back the tax amount bkz she’s income below limit. Can the bank refund the money immediately if i will deposit the 15G.

143 Manish Chauhan March 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm

No Biswajit

What bank has cut is called TDS . And its a standard practice – You will be able to claim that money back only if you file a tax return and ask for refund . Form 15G has to be submitted in the start of the year itself . Do it from next time please

144 binu March 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

let me rephrase the previous question.
Suppose i want to submit form 15g at the start of fy2012-2013 and at that point of time i have not yet invested in tax saver plans but i am planning to invest later in that fy,say at feb 2012-2013 . can i submit form 15g in this case.?.thanks

145 Manish Chauhan March 11, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Binu

The only criteria is that you must know in advance that you will not have to pay the tax at the end. If you say you will do it later, there is no guarantee here that you will actually do , What if you cant because of cash crunch later . So in this case ideally as per law, you should not be giving Form 15G

146 Debobrata Ghosh March 12, 2012 at 12:39 am

I am getting one thing a bit confusing .we have an a/c in ubi where at the begining of the financial year for certain Fd’s Form 15G been submitted. Now , suppose if in feb or march if i do an FD for that do i have to re-submit form 15G for this financial year. I went to UBI for submission of 15G form for that particular FD they refused to take it & said that only ONCE IN A FINANCIAL YEAR it has to be submitted. So, for that FD any tax would be deducted or not. I am in alittle dilemma.Kindly seek your advice….

Debobrata

147 Manish Chauhan March 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Debobrata

yes form 15G has to be submitted each year and only one form 15G in one financial year

148 kamal arora March 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm

sir,
i recently retired from Air Force and want to fix 15 lac in bank as fixed deposit for that I will be getting appx 11,500 int pm. i want to know whether i have to pay income tax if yes how can I save this please inform.

i will be thankful to you

149 Manish Chauhan March 14, 2012 at 11:25 am

Kamal

You dont have to pay income tax at the end of the year because your over all income will be below taxable limit , But because you are planning to do a FD and the interest is above 10,000 . The TDS might be cut by bank , So there are 2 solution

Solution 1 : submit a form 15G to your bank so that they dont deduct TDS
Solution 2 : Better to 2 FD , each with different bank , so that TDS is not cut because the total interest from one FD will be below 10k

150 Sagar March 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Debobrata Ghosh / Manish Sir

I would like to add my knowledge to what Manish Sir has already advised you. If you are depositing differen amounts in the same bank and in the same names on differen dates by way of FDs, the Customer id remains the same. Only the FD certificate nos change, which makes no difference. So one has to submit Form 15 G only once since it will be reflected in the Bank’s system against your Client id and any subsequent FDs will get the benefit of non-deduction of income tax.

Manish Sir, kindly correcvt me if I am wrong. Besides please enlighten me why one has to submit Form 15 G at the begining of FY ( as advised by you to Binu above )when the Bank deducts advance tax for the first time only on 15 Sep of each Fin year. So can’t we submit Form 15 G at anytime before 15 Sep ? My bank is ok with it. Regards Sagar.

151 Manish Chauhan March 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Sagar

By beginning of the year I meant before the bank cuts TDS :)

152 Sagar March 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Dear Manish Sir,

153 Sagar March 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Dear Manish Sir,

Sorry to be back but one thing just struck me. As you have advised to Binu that if later in the year ,say in Feb or March, if one experiences a cash crunch and is unable to invest under Sec 80C, it is not advisable to submit Form 15 G in advance. But Sir, should such a circumstance arise and one is unable to invest under Sec 80 C, one can always deposit income tax later on and show it in his return, isn’t it Sir ? So what’s the harm in submitting it earlier ? Regards Sagar

154 Manish Chauhan March 15, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Sagar

The only thing is in the start of year you can just say that i will invest in tax saving product and hence there will be no tax, but how do you prove that you can failin this , what if for some reason you are unable to put money in tax sving products ?

155 ASHRAF March 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

sir, i need the details why form 15g issuing every year. what is the limit to issue form 15g

156 Manish Chauhan March 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ashraf

Its govt rule that you have to submit form 15G , you can do it only if your income is below taxable limit and you are sure about it !

157 ragu April 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

sir
i am an agriculturist .i have some bank deposits in different banks and filing every year 15gform also now my question is whatever my totaldeposits intrest is lower than the tax limit, is any chance to make TDS on my deposite intrest? pls inform me any one.

158 Manish Chauhan April 17, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Raghu

First thing to know is that you have to deposit form 15G each year in the start .. now coming to your question , if your total interest income is below the taxable limits, no TDS would be cut !

159 ranjit singh thakur May 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

advise limit of 15 g , if my daughter having fd of rs 9 lacs, can tds applicable.

160 Manish Chauhan May 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Ranjit

It can be filled by anyone , yes FD of 9 lacs means more than 90k interest per year and there will be TDS , better to fill Form 15G if she has no taxable income at the end of the years

161 ranjit singh thakur May 4, 2012 at 5:04 pm

She is student of B.com , she is not having any income.

162 Manish Chauhan May 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm

In that case you should fill form 15G , one more point , if she is a MAJOR , its fine , the income which will happen will be treated as her income , but if she is monir (below 18 yrs) , legally the income from FD (as interest) will be part of your income ,its now up to you , if you want to show it legally as yours income or hers .

163 darshan vassal May 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I am a banker, i want to know the date for forwarding 15h/15h to income tax deptt which is submitted by customer to bm.

164 Manish Chauhan May 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm

You have to submit those forms to bank , not income tax department

165 darshan vassal May 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Dear Manish my querry was about on which date 15g/15h form submitted to income tax deptt because we are banker & we collect the forms from our customers.

166 Manish Chauhan May 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

It should be submitted in the start of the year

167 Sambit Bose May 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for initiating such a useful discussion. I have some queries. I have made FDs for a term of 5 years in order to show it as an investment under 80C. Now pls tell me whether these FDs that are made in order to exempt tax are applicable for TDS also.

Thanks.
Sambit

168 Manish Chauhan May 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

No , those FD’s are just tax free under 80C, means you save tax on the amount invested, but that does not mean that the interest part is tax free . you still have to pay the tax on it .so if interest part is more than 10k in a year, there would be TDS

169 Shaikh M Taher May 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I am just having small amount in FD,ie 30,000/-Rs for 5 Years , still do i require to fill up Form 15 G?

170 Manish Chauhan May 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Yes .. your total interest would be more than 10k , in that case the bank would be able to track it (assuming all FD are in same bank) .

In that case TDS would be cut, hence you should fill form 15G if you dont want TDS to be cut

171 Abhishek May 22, 2012 at 1:34 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I request your advice on the below case:

Say I am earning Rs. 9,000 from my FD at a bank in a financial year. In the same period I earn interest amount of Rs. 1,800 from my saving A/c and Rs. 1200 from RD account in the same branch.
Will the TDS be deducted by bank on my interest amount in this situation? If yes, how much amount will get deducted provided they have my PAN number.

Abhishek Dixit

172 shiva May 28, 2012 at 8:52 pm

shiva: how to exempt from tds on AP:MAHILA PODUPU SANGAM LOANS.
my mother as a leader in mahila podupu sangam and taken loan from the bank but they deducted TDS on that amount any suggestions please help..

173 Manish Chauhan May 29, 2012 at 10:20 am

Shiva

TDS deducted on loan ? I have not heard anythign like this !

174 SATISH KEJRIWAL May 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

if i have submitted form 15H/15G to my company, not to deduct tds on my charges….shall company deduct tds..

175 Manish Chauhan May 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Companies dont accept 15G i guess !

176 Suresh June 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I want to clear few of my doubts regarding TDS Deduction.

1) I am working in a Private company, will pay Tax around 25K at the end of the Financial Year 2012-2013.
This 25K Tax will be on my total salary which i will earn during the Financial Year.
Now suppose in a bank, 2k gets deducted as a TDS, and the Bank gives me the TDS deduction Certificate.

Now while Filing the IT Return Form when i will Submit Form 16 along with the TDS Deduction Certification issued by the Bank, then this 2 K will be returned or what? and if its returned then how much time it will take?

And one more thing exactly when did the Bank will issue this TAX Deduction Certificate. Can i adjust this 2K deduction in my company tax deduction so that instead of paying tax 25K i will pay 23K only.

2) How the TDS deduction used to be calculated-
Suppose i have a bank account with the following details:
Saving Account Balance: 200000
A FD of 35000 for 5 Year (Tax Saver)
A FD of 20000 for 5 Year (Tax Saver)
A FD of 50000 for 1 Year
A FD of 50000 for 2 Year

Now i wanted to know how the TDS gets calculated, i will be earn some intrest amount on my account balance 200000 (for ex 4%), Then i will earn some intrest on all the respective FD’s with their respective intrest Rates. So while Calculating the total Interest earned in a year will be added together while calculating TDS deduction or what?

3) To Avoid the TDS Deduction:
As i have seen in the Forum someone asked to open a FD in a diff-diff Banch of same bank. Will it work? If i will open a FD then automatically my Customer ID(In That bank) will be linked to that FD. and the Bank can easily track all my FDs.

But if i will open the FDs in different-2 Bank itself then obviously one bank will not be knowing abt others, But here again there is a problem. I personaly visited some banks regarding FDs and they told that a Saving accout is mandatory for opening the FDs. Now if i want to keep FDs in Diff-2 Bank then i will end with many Bank Accounts and worst thing is that i need to keep the minimum Balance in that account.

4) Regarding Form 15G/15H
1) Is it safe to submit this form if i am already paying Tax?
2)And these forms need to submitted on Yearly Basis or What?
3) If i have TDS deduction in more than one Bank then do i need to submit in each Bank?

Could you please answered these queries?

177 Manish Chauhan June 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Suresh

I can see you are not very clear on how taxation works . What your company is cutting is tax on your salary , that you have to pay anyways

Your bank is cutting TDS on the yearly interest you will earn on your FD . You must be clear that you also pay tax on any kind of FD interest earned in the year . I can see that you have around 1.5 lacs of FD in total . now assuming the average yearly interest rate of 10% .. the interest will be around 15,000 per year ..

Bank interest is taxable and you need to pay tax on this and note that it is on accrual basis , means even if you get it later , you need to pay tax on that this year itself .

Now in Banking , if your interest is above 10k , TDS is cut , TDS is tax in advance cut by bank , so they are cutting Tax which you need to pay and directly giving it to bank

Now when you file your returns , you can mention that already TDS is cut and hence you dont need to pay additional tax . Why do you think you should be getting it back ?

178 umang June 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

i had given a property on rent. the rent is 24000 per month .property is on my uncles name his age is 80 years
do i have to pay TDS ,
or i can fill form h15
uncle is liable for tds..????????????

179 Manish Chauhan June 21, 2012 at 3:28 pm

All the income will be of uncle when the property is on uncle name, TDS is not there , not income tax (5 lac limit)

180 Srinivas July 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Recently i experienced the following situaltion.

I have aHUF account and am submitting 15G for it to get exemption from TDS. I was told that i have to provide a 15G for each FD to be exempted.

Till now i was thinking that if i submit 15G once a year, it will be sufficient for all deposits etc of that accunt for that year.

Bank officer told me otherwise.

Can anyone please clarify.

Thanks.

181 Manish Chauhan July 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I think Officer is right , but still I m myself not clear , take help from forum, you will surely get a right answer : http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum

182 Srinivas July 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I am not able to post my query in the forum.

When i try to sign up, it says, pass word is invalid. When i try to use forgot password link, it says email is invalid, though i am getting communication there.

please help.

183 Manish Chauhan July 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

You never had an account there.. i created one and emailed you !

184 Anil Bahal July 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I am an NRI and have some FD’s in India from which some TDS has been deducted. To claim the TDS, can I give for 15G? If can not be given then which ITR form should I fill ITR 1 0r ITR2 to claim the TDS deducted.

Thnaks in advance.

185 Manish Chauhan July 17, 2012 at 10:01 am

Anil

You cant give form 15G now , its a prevention technique not a cure technique, fill the ITR1 form now

186 Sooraj August 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I am salaried and i pay tax according to my tax slab. Now i saved around 5 lakhs and want to FD the amount. Annul interest on 5 L would be 40 K per Year. will i Still pay tax on this 40K or can i submit 15 G to avoid tax on interest earn on FD.

As those 5 Lakhs are saved after taxes were deducted from my total earnings?

187 Manish Chauhan August 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

You need to pay tax on this , form 15G is only for those whose income is less than the taxable limit .

188 Sooraj August 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot for Prompt reply……

so now i am planing to make fixed deposit in my wife a/c as she is house wife and does not earn any income.

can this help us in saving tax on interest earned out of FD’s.

189 Manish Chauhan August 8, 2012 at 7:07 pm

No it will not , the interest will be treated as your income and you will pay tax on it .

190 J.Prakash September 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Dear Mr. Manish, my wife is unemployed, has FDs and getting interest below the limit (1.9L), is it still necessary to add this interest income to my income while I file returns? I’m salaried.

191 Manish Chauhan September 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Who had given the money for that FD ? If it was you, then it will be your income and has to be added with yours , else not

192 Raghavendra G October 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm

But he has paid Tax for that income and giving it to his wife. it is not new income from other source. Why should he get taxed ?

193 Manish Chauhan October 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thats how the law is for clubbing income .

194 Vijay Kumar August 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Dear Sir,

I am having FD’s in SBH and I am earning interest on above FD’s more than Rs. 10,000/-, I have submitted the Form 15G to the bank for the FY 2011-12, But recently we came to know from the bank they have deducted the TDS on interest income @ 20% and It is understand from bank they have misplaced the Form 15G they have not updated in their records. In this regard we have approached the bank for refund of the deducted TDS in reply they have told they will issue Form 16A with that I have to file IT return for 2011-12 to get the refund, I have verified in Form 26AS but the deduction TDS amount not reflected in that. My doubt is if I file IT return for 2011-12 (AY2012-13) can I get the refund my salary income and Interest income put together below taxable limits only.

Please give your valuable reply

thanking you sir
regards
pvk

195 Manish Chauhan August 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm

NO , You dont understand that form 15G is only for those whose taxable income is below the limits , in your case, you were not support to give form 15G itself , TDS saved does not mean Income tax saved. TDS is just advanced tax , all you need to see is, if your income tax paid is more than income tax liability you had , if yes, then file the tax return , else not !

196 Anoop Francis September 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I am working abroad. I have opened an FD in my wife name. She is an house wife having no other source of income. And bank has asked me to fill the form 15G. does this form needs to be filled on my behalf or on my wife behalf. And this needs to be send to the bank only or does this needs to be submited to IT dept.

197 Manish Chauhan September 13, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Your wife needs to fill this and to be given to bank officials only

198 J.Prakash September 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Sir, please help me. I’m a salaried person and paying income tax. My wife is not employed, has FD and the interest is above 10,000 but less than 1.9L which is the limit. In this case I understand that my wife can submit Form 15G to get tax relief.

My concern is that my wife’s income (from FD) should be added to my income while submitting ITR?? Awaiting your reply.

Thx n’ rgrds

j.prakash

199 Manish Chauhan September 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

She can file Form 15G ,and regarding taxability , i had replied to your earliar comment !

200 Nitin Gupta September 25, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I want to know that Pvt. Ltd. companies taking Unsecured loans from various individuals can accept Form 15H & 15G respectively.

201 Manish Chauhan September 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

I think its more for banks only

202 Nitin Gupta September 27, 2012 at 10:41 am

Thanks Manish

203 umaid rathor October 10, 2012 at 1:51 am

I have opened a three yr FD and would get an interest of 150,00 at the end of tenure. Would this be counted as a lumpsum or would it be treated as 5,000 per year?

204 Manish Chauhan October 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

5000 per year

205 Sandeep October 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

Sir, I deposit FDs of small amount (Rs.20,000) at various branches of HDFC, however the total Interest earned from all the FDs doesn’t go beyond Rs.2500. Should I file 15G ? Also, isn’t the limit of Rs.10,000 per branch ?

206 Manish Chauhan October 12, 2012 at 11:16 am

It will depend on your income at the end of the year , you should file 15G only if you are very sure that the year end income will not cross the taxable limits .

207 Sitaram October 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

We have an FD for 2 years starting from Jan’2011 and I have submitted 15G at the time of booking FD, and opened a RD on 2012 Oct which gets matured on 2013 Oct.
Now I need your help to understand that
Do I need to submit 15G every financial year with respect to each FD & RD? or I can ignore as I have already given at the time of FD booking?

208 Manish Chauhan October 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Yes ,you need to submit Form 15G every year

209 Sitaram October 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thanks mate

210 Sitaram October 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Also please note that both this deposits on my spouse name and no taxable income to her.

211 shivaramakrishna November 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hi Manish my father was open a FD 500000 for 3 year in that time he does’t know the form 15G. they have deducted the TDS on interest income 10% So how can we get the TDS refund Please help me

212 Manish Chauhan November 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Will have to file tax returns now !

213 Sangita November 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Grt info…Thank you

214 Rajesh November 17, 2012 at 8:41 am

I am less than 60 years old. I have an annual income of 2.5 lacs (Salary 1.5 lac/year + Interest from FD 1 lac/year) during the FY 2012-2013. I pay 1 lac for PPF. So my taxable income is nil for AY 2013-2014. But my overall income is above the 2 lac slab. Am I eligible for form 15G submission during the FY 2012-2013.

In other words, will the interest income from the FD (for which I am planning to submit the 15G) be added to the total income while considering eligibility for 15G?

215 Manish Chauhan November 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Yes you are eligible !

216 Venkatesh December 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hi ,

I am Indian Resident and less than 60 year old.
I have two separate FDs at HDFC Bank.
1> 3 lac for 6 months 16 days and maturity being May 19th 2013.
2>2.5 lac for 6 months 16 days and maturity being June 19th 2013.

Do i need to submit form 15G to avoid TDS ?

217 Manish Chauhan December 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Yes . if you do not have any other income , then yes !

218 Ajay January 2, 2013 at 8:10 am

Hello,

Can a tax payee also submit 15G (less than 60 years) and later depending on the actual income/tax amount, pay the remaining tax amount before filing the returns?

What I mean is, TDS is deducted from my salary by the employer. When I have to furnish the “income from other sources”, I will declare the interest from FDs, etc. What I want to do is, I dont want the bank to deduct the tax (TDS), but I will pay the tax amount after calculating before filing the IT returns.

I only want to avoid going into a situation of getting a refund from the IT department for obvious reasons.

Is this possible?

Ajay.

219 Manish Chauhan January 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm

no its not possible . If you already know that you need to pay tax, then you cant use those forms

220 amar k January 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Can we give the form 15G/H to the Bank directly just by filling that form or we have to get any seal from IT Dept. i.e shall i have to intimate this to IT Dept first and then give to bank

221 amar k January 6, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Is it necessary while giving the form 15g/h to bank that we have to inform IT Dept. first i.e have to get IT Dept Seal on these forms

222 Manish Chauhan January 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

NO , there is nothing like that !

223 A Singh January 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I am a student.I am unmarried.I am getting Rs 18000/month as scholarship . I also have a Rs 5lakh FD on my name and I am getting Rs 44000 as interest from this Fixed D eposit .I have no other source of income.I do not want TDS to be deducted from my FD.Can I submit form 15 G.

A Singh

224 Umakant January 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Very helpful article! Everything is mentioned in detail and in easy language.
Thanks a lot Manish !

225 Manish Chauhan January 11, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Umakant !

226 B.A. Acharya January 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Under which IT act/rule does the Disability pension exempted from TAX?

227 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

What do you mean by “Disability pension”

228 B.A.Acharya January 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Disability pension is the pension i get from Armed Forces after retirement due to disability as fixed by competent medical authority and sanctioned by CDA.(Controller of Defence Accounts)

229 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I am then now aware about it . May be some at our forum would know about it – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

230 Tayu January 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I’ve joined the World Bank, where the salary is tax free. What IT forms should I file to this effect and when? I’d be glad to hear from you.
Tayu

231 Manish Chauhan January 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Which country was htat ?

232 Tayu January 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The World Bank, Chennai office. It is also called the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD). I’ve been an IT assesse in my earlier companies.

233 bishu January 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I have a fixed deposit with SBI
Principal amt. Rs. 50000/- , maturity value Rs. 54788/- ,
Date of issue 17.02.2012 , Date of maturity 17.02.2013 (Tenure 1 year)
I have not submitted any 15G form so far. will there be any tax deduction at the time of maturity ?

234 Manish Chauhan January 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

No ,becasue the interest does not cross 10,000 .. but you have to pay tax on the amount anywyas !

235 bishu January 25, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thanks Manish

236 madhu April 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

if interest does’t not cross 10,000/ , why he has to pay tax??

237 Manish Chauhan April 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Because thats what the law is, you need to pay tax even if its Rs 1 interest . Rs 10,000 limit is for TDS

238 Manish Chauhan April 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

239 bishu January 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I am interested about share market and want to invest in it. but i am a novice, and practically have no knowledge about it. would you please guide me so that i can start investment in share market and get necessary informations like : demat A/C, online share trading, stock, IPO etc.

also i would request you to tell me what are the risk factors and what precautions should be taken for share trading.

240 Manish Chauhan January 30, 2013 at 5:34 pm
241 prabhu February 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I am salaried employee and my net income per annum is around 5 lac. Every month income tax is deducted from my salary and remaning amount is credit to my account.
I have maid some FD’s in banks arround 3 lacs and i am getting SMS from bank saying that please submit form 15G/15H to get TDS waiver for this financial year.

is it necessary to me submit the 15G/15H form to bank?

242 CA Deepak Vagrecha March 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hi Prabhu,
As you mention your net income per annum is 5 Lac Rs. apart from Interest Income.
Form 15 G/H require to submission only when your income below to exemption limit . Since your income more than exemption limit you should not require submit to form 15 G/H.

243 Ashok February 8, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Am salaried and am having casa sweeping FD with the amt of 1,00,000 INR and the returnable value after one year is 1,09,450 INR and FD period is 01.11.12 to 17.11.13 after putting FD i have got a SMS from the bank is stating that “Please submit form 15g/h to get TDS waiver for this financial yr at earliest pls ignore if you are not eligible for the same”
So, i have not submitted any 15g form as on date.
1. Is there any tax deduction on 17.11.13 ?
2. If yes, how to avoid tax deduction..?

Thanks in advance.

244 Manish Chauhan February 11, 2013 at 8:03 pm

1. Will your overall income for the year about the limit ? Do you have to pay tax at the end or not ?
2. Only if you are eligible (read the article), you can declare the form 15G

245 dharmendra February 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

my income around Rs.190000/- per year and Rs.80000/- bank interest per year around totel income Rs.270000/- and Rs.100000/-invest lic,tax saver bond and nsc (80C) in. i can submit form 15G ? do compulsory return file yes or not ? i am not senior citizen.

246 Manish Chauhan February 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Yes you can file 15G and do not have to pay tax , nor TDS ! . Tax filing is compulsory as the total income is above the limit.

247 Vivek February 12, 2013 at 10:51 am

Hi Munish my total income is 1 Lakh per/year and interest from FD is 50 Thousand/year can i fill the from 15 G to avoid TDS.

248 Manish Chauhan February 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm

249 rakesh malik February 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm

in a partnership firm if firm will pay interest above rs.10000.00 on unsecured loan and interest receiving person whose total income is below rs.2 lac. will give form 15g
then what will be the duty of firm i mean the firm doesn’t have TAN and not interested to file TDS return. so please guide me about that.

rakesh malik

250 Manish Chauhan February 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

It a right question for our forum http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

251 nafees March 1, 2013 at 1:20 am

hi, my querry is regarding intrest earned in saving acount exceeds 10000 rs. in a year . will it be count in my income earnd in that particular years . actually i am salaried and getting 360000 gross and after all exemptions under hra and ta and 80c. my texable income is below the 200000.

2. should i file the income tax individually if my office is issuing form 16 with nil tax .or is it necessary to file .

nafees

252 Manish Chauhan March 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm

1. Yes, from this year .. any amount more than 10,000 will be taxable

2. Yes, you will have to file the income tax return, because your overall income was above limit

253 ashok kumar March 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I have two FDs in different banks and the interest earned on them is one lakh and three lakh each respectively(total=4 lakh). I have invested one lakh in PPF.So my total taxable income is three lakh and i am supposed to pay a tax of 10% on one lakh( 3 lakh-2 lakh) which comes to 10,000. If i don’t submit form 15G,banks will deduct 40,000 (10,000+30,000) .Can i submit form 15G only in one bank where my investment is 3 lakh and let the other bank where only 1 lakh is invested deduct tax of 10,000 and file return to avoid refund.

254 Manish Chauhan March 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Yes form 15G has to be filled at the banks where you do not want them to deduct TDS

255 Rajan Doshi March 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Dear sir,
I have own proprietorship business in which I have taken loan from different individuals in that case if I have to deduct TDS from the interest payment done to them? & if that individuals are issuing me form 15G then What I have to do for the purpose of non deduction of TDS.

256 Manish Chauhan March 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

You dont have to do all this from your side.

257 Santhi March 17, 2013 at 11:04 pm

If I am not sure whether my income will exceed taxable limit now but will have an idea about my annual income by August/September. can I file form 15G around that time or should it be filed earlier? My expected fd interest will be 12000 during the year.

258 Manish Chauhan March 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

then you can file the form now

259 Ravindra March 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Hello Sir,

I am a salaried employee. My taxable income every year comes under the 20% tax slab. So I am anyway filing IT returns every year. Suppose if my income earned through Fixed Deposit Interests is say Rs20,000.
1. Will I get back the tax deducted at source after filing the IT returns? I feel in my case, I have no benefits even if I submit the Form 15G. Am I Correct?
2. What if I manage multiple FD deposits in different banks. Each earning me interest less than Rs10,000. That way I can avoid the TDS situation, even though it looks illegal! :)

260 Manish Chauhan March 27, 2013 at 11:37 am

1. You cant escape .. FD interest is taxable and in your case , you have to pay the TAX

2. Yes, better do not do it

261 Pankaj Ambalal Patel March 25, 2013 at 10:23 pm

hello Sir,
My date of birth is 20th February 1954.

which Form I shoud I have to submitt to nationalised Bank to avoid TDS on my Interest Income of Fixed Deposits with nationalised bank for F.Y. 2013-2014 assessment year.
Please guide me.

262 Manish Chauhan March 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

Form 15G

263 JAMES March 27, 2013 at 1:12 am

I AM WORKING ABROAD IN MERCHANT NAVY. I HAVE AN FD OF 350000, CAN I SUBMIT FORM 15 G TO AVOID TDS? SECONDLY MY WIFE IS GOVT.TEACHER AND EARNING Rs 15500 PER MONTH. SHE HAS DONE FD OF RS 800000 WITH THE MONEY I SENT TO HER FROM ABROAD? IS SHE ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT FORM 15 G?

264 Manish Chauhan March 27, 2013 at 9:06 am

James

You can give a Form 15G to avoid TDS , the money you have sent to her , the income out of that will be treated as your income as the source of money is you . But even then your tax liability will be ZERO , She cant put 15G as her taxable income is above the limits.

265 JAMES March 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

THANX, WELL UNDERSTOOD THAT MY TAX LIABILITY IS ZERO SINCE I AM EARNING ABROAD AND I CAN SUBMIT FORM 15G. SINCE MY WIFE HAS FD Rs 800000, AND SHE IS EARNING Rs1,86000(PER ANUM) AS A GOVT TEACHER , SHE CAN,T PUT 15 G. SIR, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR HER TO SUBMIT 15 G TO AVOID TDS IF SHE TRANSFER HER FD OF ABOUT 550,000 IN MY NAME BEFORE 31 MARCH? PLS REPLY

266 Manish Chauhan March 27, 2013 at 11:46 am

She can still file 15G if her personal income is less than 2 lacs, like you said , the interest which is coming out of the FD, that will be counted as your income

267 Rumi March 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

My husband is an NRI and this FY send about 1050,000 INR to my savings account & I have done FD of RS 700000 out it. I also have an anual income less than 1.9 l. can I submit for form 15 g? is there any problem for sending money to saving account?Pls advise

268 Manish Chauhan April 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm

The income will be treated of your husband . U need to file the returns for him

269 G.V.N.Prasad April 2, 2013 at 5:18 am

Please inform me , whether filing of IT return on ITR-2 , is compulsory , in cases , where Form 15-G / H is periodically submitted to the banks every year , by the non- tax payers ( ie. whose income below tax range ) and whose interest on deposits exceed Rs. 10,000/- per year.
G.V.N.Prasad

270 Manish Chauhan April 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

YEs, it has to be submitted every year !

271 G.V.N.Prasad April 3, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi Manish ,
Many many thanks for your prompt and valuable advise.
With best wishes ,
G.V.N.Prasad

272 Santosh April 5, 2013 at 10:27 pm

My annual income is 5L and interest earned from FD is 7000 per annum.Will i have to pay any tax on the interest earned???
What i need to do when my interest from FD is more than 10000 per annum??
Thanks in advance!!!!

273 Manish Chauhan April 6, 2013 at 10:58 am

Yes, any income from FD is taxable . You need to add 7k to your income and pay tax on that

274 umesh rajurikar April 7, 2013 at 2:41 pm

it mandatory to quote valid pan number in 15g/15h. if the deductee is minor having fds in banks and exceeds the limit of 10k interest in fiscal, to avoid TDS he has to submit 15g, so shall he quote guardian’s pan number or he should apply for new pan.

275 Manish Chauhan April 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm

He has to quote his own PAN only

276 umesh rajurikar April 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm

277 sameena April 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm

my co has taken a car loan from reliance capital. what is the tds rate on interest portion . explain with a example.

278 Manish Chauhan April 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

Why will there be any TDS ?

279 Kajal April 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I am not much aware of these thing so wanted to clear few of my doubts. Suppose if i have a salary which comes in 10% of tax slab. And i have an FD of 1lac on which i am gaining Rs.8000/- annually then what should be done?? i mean do i need to fill 15G form?? And how much amount will be deducted for Tax from this interest?? please guide me thru this..

280 ashala jauhari April 17, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Dear Kajal, as you are already in 10% tax slab, you can not file form 15G. If your PAN is registered with the bank, the the TDS ‘ll be deducted @ 10%. for non PAN case, the TDS rate ‘ll be 20%.

Ashal

281 Manish Chauhan April 19, 2013 at 11:45 am

You cant fill form 15G , 10% from the interst part will be deducted as TDS which is fine ..

282 samy jain April 20, 2013 at 12:08 am

As a banker, I am facing an embrassment, to receive Form 15G, from those whose salaried incomes are of range of Rs.5 lacs and above. What can I do in such situations?

Further, A senior citizen of age 80 years submitted form 15H for a deposit favouring jointly with his wife, himself and his daughter in the same order payable to any one or survivor. Can I accept from him on behalf of his wife.

Some are not submitting in duplicate to enable me to send one copy to the IT dept.

Kindly advise me.

283 Manish Chauhan April 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Just tell them what are rules. If a 5 lac income one deposits it, do not accept and ask for 2 copies ,else dont accept

284 Abu April 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I made a FD of 1.5 lac, what form i need to submit in order to escape from Tax deduction. please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

285 Manish Chauhan April 26, 2013 at 11:50 am

Is your overall income for the year less than 2 lac ? only then you can fill up that form !

286 Abu Shaeeb April 29, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for reply.
My Income is under 10% Slab. Could you please suggest me in what Kind of Savings i can invest to show a saving of 80K.

287 Manish Chauhan May 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm

You can go with 80C investments like ELSS , 5 yrs tax fd

288 Dinesh April 26, 2013 at 9:45 am

I am 39 years & in 30% tax slab. i have few FDs in a bank and the total interest i am going to get from that is more than Rs.10000/- I have also registered my PAN with bank. I want to know two things.
1. Is it mandatory to submit form 15G to the bank as i have registered PAN with the bank? (I am assuming that the tax will be deducted by bank @10% on the interest earned on FDs as i have registered my PAN and i think submission of form 15G is not necessary. Let me know if i am correct)
2. If i do not submit submit form 15G, will the bank deduct tax @20% or more on the interest earned from FDs?

DineshK
===========

289 Manish Chauhan April 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

1. No , you dont have to submit 15G

2. If you do not give PAN NUMBER, then its deducated at 20% .. Form 15G is for those who do not have to pay any tax in a year !

290 umesh dutta April 29, 2013 at 11:38 am

hi,

my wife have a fd of rs.45000.00 in bank @9% p..a. bank says you have to submit form 15 G and before that you must have pan number also. she is not earning anything and never file tax return. is pan number must for form 15G.
Umesh

291 Manish Chauhan May 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Yes, but why do you want to give 15G , the interest is anyways not more than 10k per year, so TDS will not be cut !

292 D Kastha June 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I am a senior citizen aged 62 with an estimated income from pension and bank interests etc. of around Rs.4.3 Lakh. I am looking to invest Rs 1 Lakh and avail the maximum tax benefit under chapter VI(A) and bring down my taxable income to around 3.3 Lakh. Shall I submit form 15H?

293 Manish Chauhan June 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm

No , your cant submit it

294 Mani June 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Sir,
I had finished a project work for 4.2 Lacs in educational institution , in the final payment they are deducting eight thousand as TDS, how ever my profit earned is forty thousand only. How to get my payment without TDS.

295 Manish Chauhan June 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Its not possible . TDS is always cut on the payments, and not on profits . So you need to apply for TDS by filing a tax return

296 Vicky June 15, 2013 at 5:19 am

Hello,

Does 15G is branch specific? In today’s online world(I guess, where ever you open FD, those are linked to customer ID in online), if I opened 1 FD for 20L and submitted 15G for that. Can I open another FD for 20L for the same bank at different branch and submit 15G for this?

Thanks..

297 Manish Chauhan June 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yes its branch specific as of now as far as I know

298 SARA July 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

RESPECTED SIR,
MY SELF,VISHESH LOHAKPURE FROM MAHARASHTRA

SIR I HAVE FIXED DEPOSIT IN SBH BANK OF 8 LAC ON NAME OF MY MOTHER
I NOT HAVE FATHER AND I M 26 YR OLD TAKING EDUCATION AND HAVE 5 ACRE FARM
SO HAVE NO OTHER INCOME SOURSE
SO MY MOTHER CAN FILL 15 G FORM AND WHAT IS LIMIT OF INTEREST FOR HER
AS LAST TIME BANK CUT MY TDS FOR WHAT THROGH(C.A.) I FILL RETURN BUT IT WAS VERY HECTIC AND
C.A.ALSO CHARGE (500RS) FOR SAME.THIS TIME BANK TOLD ME THAT THEY RECEIVE LETTER THAT THEY CAN
ACCEPT 15G FORM UPTO INTEREST 10000RS.
SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO NOW.

SIR EAGERLY WAITING FOR SOLUTION SIR PLEASE REPLY.

299 Manish Chauhan July 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm

15G can be filled and submited by you if there is no tax for your mother at the end of the year .

300 b. y.madiger July 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm

hello ,

i am retired from service. i have kept my terminal benefits as fixed deposits in the bank with joint names of my wife & two unmarried daughters & submitted 15h form as a senioner citizen, amount is around 20lakhs, whether tds is avoidable ? to avoid tds please advise. i am a tax payee.

301 Manish Chauhan July 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Why do you want to avoid TDS when you are tax-payee . Anyways you need to pay for it . There is no way actually to save it

302 cgdgfjf July 31, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Dear Manish,My annual income is Rs.300000 per yr as interest from fixed deposits,and I don’t have any other source of income. I have submitted 15G form to bank for preventing deduction on TDS, As my income is 3 lakhs per yr,Do I have to file income tax? Is it necessary to show income from interest?

303 Manish Chauhan August 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Obviously your income is in taxable limit , if you are not investing in 80C products, then you need to pay 10% tax on additional 1 lac above 2 lacs limit and tthat would be 10,000

304 Rakesh August 8, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I have joined a firm 2 months ago…when I was checking the data, i noticed that one person has submitted Form 15G even though his total interest income is above the taxable bracket (i.e Rs. 2,00,000/-). When I asked him, he said after claiming deduction under Sec 80C, his total income comes below the taxable bracket. Now my query is that can he submit Form 15G or if not, who is defaulter in the eyes of ITO, the person who submit Form 15G or we, who didn’t deduct TDS and accept the form. What may be the liability on this for both side …. plz clearify.

305 Manish Chauhan August 9, 2013 at 9:21 am

He should not be giving form 15H , because 80C investments are not compulsion, what if he chooses to opt out of it ?

306 DEEPAK RANJAN ROUT August 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Every person has to submit TDS to the Govt.because you are not only cheating to Govt.but also cheating to yourself.

307 VINODKUMAR September 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Dear Manish Chauhan Sir,

Please let me know the taxability on interest income in the following case:
a husband and wife has FDs with bank totalling 25,00,000/= and the interest rate is 9.5%p.a. the FDs are in the joint names of husband and wife. the interest per annum credited to SB a/c amount to approx.245,000/=.
please let me know whether the interest income will be taken as income of husband alone or wife alone or will be divided equally among husband and wife for tax purposes. they have no other income liable to tax
both are below 60 years of age and whether IT return has to be filed in this case?
please clarify sirs
vinodkumar

308 Manish Chauhan September 17, 2013 at 7:10 pm

It will be a joint income and both have to file the return for themselves.

309 siddharth grover September 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Where does one fill for rental income in for 15 H. the current form doesn’t have that space? http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DITTaxmann/IncomeTaxRules/pdf/itr62Form15H.pdf

310 Manish Chauhan September 30, 2013 at 9:41 am

Please open a thread for this on our forum – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/forum/

311 G.V.N.Prasad October 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Please inform whether filing of return is compulsory for senior citizens ( 60 yrs. & above age ) , who are pensioners , come under taxable range.

312 Manish Chauhan November 4, 2013 at 11:43 am

Yes . its compulsory for every one !

313 BIKRAM SINGH November 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

sir
i have a RD (Recurring Deposi) with SBI bank for 10 years .it will mature 10september 2023 ,at that time i will get 213500 (132000-principle and 81500-interest) .
my question is —-1) tds is applicable in case of RD

314 Manish Chauhan November 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

TDS is not applicable in Recurring deposits !

315 CHANDRA KANT SINHA November 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm

the Income Tax Return file the of Income Tax Department in Range Office. As like in which office file the form of 15G and 15H. Example of Office is Chief Commissioner of income Tax or Commissioner of Income Tax , Additional Commissoner of Income Tax , Income Tax Officer, Income Tax Officer(TDS), Income Tax officer(Audit), Investigation Department of Income Tax. Please Clear the concer office.

316 Manish Chauhan November 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Your question is not clear at all !

317 dominica m anita alemao November 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm

please may i know if a minor, with a pan of his own, can submit the form 15g for fixed deposits kept in his name by his father? will there be issues if fixed deposits are opened with the minor as the first person as each bank interprets the rules differently. thanq!

318 Manish Chauhan November 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

there is no distinction on this for minors and major . The only thing is that if your income does not cross income tax limits , but your TDS might be cut because the interest is more than 10k , then better file 15G to avoid tds

319 dominica m anita alemao November 14, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thank you Manish Chauhan. There is a lot of doubt regarding investing in a minor’s name by the parents to avoid being taxed.
Anita

320 dipti ganguly January 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

If I pay advanc tax on income from FD interset properly,then whether I can I can submit 15G for non deduction of tds

321 Manish Chauhan January 14, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I dont think there is any relation with advance tax and 15G form, both are totally different things !

322 DIPA January 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm

avd tax is being paid properly and advise bank for non deduction at source is proper ?

323 prodip de February 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm

i have invested rs. 25000 FD on 25.09.2013.Bank will give me interest @9%.it will mature after 1 year. my annual income is rs.195000.can i submit form 15g/h?

324 Manish Chauhan February 21, 2014 at 10:24 am

Yes you can

325 Ashish Das March 1, 2014 at 7:49 am

My mother aged 60 years made an FD of Rs 10,000/- in sahara way back in 2002 and this year it matured an amount of Rs 40,000/- will be paid by sahara. Whether she required to file 15h and our sahara Agent by mistake filed 15g so I am little confused. What will happen. Please answer.

326 Manish Chauhan March 2, 2014 at 6:29 pm

was any TDS deducted ? I dont think so ?

327 Shail March 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Hello Sir,
My Father’s age is 61 and his income is NIL.
However, his interest earned on FD’s is coming to around 2,55,000.
he has already submitted Form 15G/H.
I wanted to know if the bank would now cut a straight 10 percent on the complete interest of 255000 OR only on 5000 that is exceeding as per his tax slab.
He has no other investments.

328 diya singh March 14, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hell sir, I have 5 lac FD which interest amount will com in 6 month after deduction of tax even I have submitted 15 G form
please suggest what should I do..

329 Manish Chauhan March 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

bank should not deduct TDS once form 15G is submitted, clear it with bank !

330 teja April 4, 2014 at 9:47 pm

hi manish,
i have made 2 fixed deposits for just 60 days period for which i ll get 5400/- interest. do i need to submit 15g/h form?

331 Manish Chauhan April 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

No not required

332 MADHUR June 18, 2014 at 7:00 pm

hi,
i wanted to know do we need to fill form 15G everytime i make an F.D in a financial year or the form submitted in the beginning of the financial year is enough and the F.D’s made afterwards in that financial year gets automatically linked to the form.
Kindly help me with this.

333 Manish Chauhan July 4, 2014 at 11:09 am

You have to fill it every year

334 sandhya July 17, 2014 at 8:35 am

say if I make a fd of 5 lakhs and i fill in a 15g form as my income is not entitled to tax but during the course of the year my business earns an income above the taxable limit then when i file returns i will be paying a tax on the interest income as well right…

or is it possible that one can use 15 g to pay taxes on their interest income in the assessment year itself so that it is not deducted at source… can taxes be deferred to the AY

appreciate your reply

sandhya

335 Manish Chauhan September 21, 2014 at 2:01 pm

You will then have to pay the taxes at the end of the year !

336 Manoj Taneja August 28, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Sir, i m a salaried person. i can issued a 15G form to my bank for saving TDS. i have not pay any tax in pervious year. Please advice

337 Manish Chauhan September 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm

What is your question ?

338 Avinash September 4, 2014 at 9:16 pm

In Aug 2014 , I have made two FD account 2 lac and 9 lac of each for 1 yr but from last two years I have paid 0 INR tax for last two years as my income from salary is less than the taxable slab. this year also my income will be less than the taxable limit.

Now my question is whether I can fill the 15G form or let the bank deduct the TDS.
which will help me more to save my money TDS or 15G?

whether I can fill the form 15G now for this financial year?

339 Manish Chauhan September 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Yes, in that case fill up form 15G

340 psrsarma October 24, 2014 at 1:10 am

Manish sir,

If I take fixed deposits in bank in the name of my sons ,can i get tax exemption?