What is Banking Ombudsman ?

Do you know you can complain to Banking Ombudsman incase you have any complaints against your bank in India ? Banking Ombudsman is a body created by RBI to look after banking related complaints. Imagine the scenario’s – You insert your card in ATM to withdraw Rs 500. The transaction fails, but your account is debited by Rs 500. You’re frustrated, you’re irritated, you complain to your bank about the money being debited after the failed transaction. The bank tells you that your money will soon be credited to your account, but nothing happens for weeks…  Six months pass by, with all of this up-down in-out stuff, You’ve done all you can, but no body is listening! . Can you imagine getting a compensation of Rs 16,200 because of your bank’s inability to honour the rules set by RBI? Can you imagine, that for not getting Rs 500 within a few days, you can get Rs a 100 penalty for each 162 days you have waited?  Yes it can happen! And it has happened! . In this article, I’ll show you the power of the Banking Ombudsman and some case studies which show you that getting your complaints addressed is more easy that you think!

Banking Ombudsman RBI

What is Banking Ombudsman ?

The Banking Ombudsman is a senior official, appointed by the Reserve Bank of India to address grievances and complaints from customers, regarding deficiencies in banking services. It covers all kinds of banks – PSU Banks, Private banks, Rural banks and co-operative banks. Even though, it was originally setup in 1995, there were major revisions in 2006 covering transactions related to complaints of ATM cards, debit cards and credit cards, deduction of service charges by banks without prior intimation, unfair practices of banks and non-compliance by direct sales agents (DSA) of banks for services promised while opening an account etc. It was last amended in Feb, 2009 to cover deficiencies arising out of internet banking too.

Today, the Banking Ombudsman covers almost all kind of complaints for banking services. To give you a brief idea about their effectiveness, Banking Ombudsmen received 79,266 complaints in the year 2009-2010 out of which around 94% were handled and just 5-6% of the complaints remained pending for more than three months as on June 30, 2010. There are a total of 15 Banking Ombudsman in our country. You complain to the one which comes under the jurisdiction of the Bank location, i.e., if your bank is in Bangalore, you can complain to the BO from Bangalore region. Incase you or the bank is not satisfied by the decision given by the Banking ombudsman, in that case within 30 days of BO decision,  the complaint can be taken forward to Appellate Authority, which is a Deputy Governor of the RBI . Its just like going to supreme court if you are not satisfied by High court decision :) .

What kind of complaints are taken care by banking ombudsman ?

So, the first question that comes to mind naturally is – “Will it be helpful for me?” You wont believe it, but the most basic problems, a common man faces (See an example of what I faced) , like rude behaviour of bank officials, delays in disbursing loans, forcing customers to buy insurance policies for processing loans etc., are all addressed by Banking Ombudsman (BO), and the process of complaining is as simple as filling up a form online or sending in a filled form to a postal address.

The best part is that if you are harassed because of any issue or have undergone through mental agony, you can ask for a compensation upto Rs 1 lac. Also some readers of the blog has acknowledged that banking ombudsman were useful for them (see this , this and this comment) . So let me list down some of the possible scenarios where you can file a complaint with Banking ombudsman.

  • Levying of charges without any notice or Information.
  • Charging higher rate of interest linked to BPLR on Housing Loan
  • Any Loss suffered because of lack of co-ordination from Bank side
  • Unreasonable credit card charges
  • Fraudulent transfer of funds by using net banking
  • Fraudulent transactions against lost credit card
  • Cheque lost in transit by the bank
  • Non-updation of CIBIL records
  • Loss of cheque from Cheque drop box
  • Closure of any account with providing any information or reason
  • When bank demands unreasonable proofs for openening of account
  • Change in terms and conditions without notice or valid reason
  • Delay in providing any service
  • Mis-selling of Insurance products
  • Forcing customers to take insurnace policies for processing Loans
  • Rejection of Loans
  • Harrasment to customer or misbehaviour for any reason
  • Casual approch from Bank on perfoming its duties

I ran a poll with title “Have you even been frustrated with your Bank and wanted to complain? ” on this blog, on which 100 people participated. Surprisingly , around 65% people said that they were frustrated on some issue with their bank and wanted to complain. Only 35% said that they never had any issue with their bank which went to a level that they have to complain about it .

Banking Ombudsman survey

Real Life Cases Solved by Banking Ombudsman

As per the Banking Ombudsman Annual Report 2009-2010 , ombudsmen have resolved thousands of cases and helped common man get justice. I would say, this is a great way to raise your voice and show banks that they can’t take you for granted, just because they are bigger than you in size. A customer has to be treated as per the guidelines, and customer service is the critical part of any service provider. Just to give you some idea, the Banking Ombudsman annual report showcases around 57 different real life cases of how it has helped customers get justice (Page 57-73) . I am highlighting four of those live cases below

1. How a person got compensation of Rs 16,200 because he got less money from ATM

The complainant maintained an account with AB Bank. He withdrew an amount of Rs 500 from the ATM of DH bank on July 28, 2009. The cash dispensed by the machine was only Rs 400. However, his account was debited by Rs 500. The amount of Rs 100 was credited back to his account only on January 27, 2010 (Around 162 days late) & despite lodging the complaint immediately, no penalty was paid to him as per the instructions issued by DPSS, vide its circular dated July 17, 2009.  Since the bank had delayed in affording the credit to the complainant’s account by more than five months, the BO directed the bank to pay the penalty amount of Rs 16,200 for the delayed period (Rs 100 for each 162 days) .

2. How a credit card holder got Rs 10,000 in compensation for non-updation of CIBIL records

One credit card holder complained about the bank’s claim against his settled credit card account dues, and non-updation of his status with CIBIL. The bank accepted that although the credit card account was settled three years ago, the status of the account could not be updated in the records of the bank with CIBIL (See a related example) , which was rectified subsequently. Clear negligence was observed on the part of the bank for not updating their records for more than three years, resulting in undue harassment to the complainant. The bank was directed to pay an amount of Rs 10,000 to the complainant as a token compensation  for the violation of BCSBI Codes.

The Branch Manager assured him to provide the loan without delay. However after three months the branch returned all the papers stating that the Loan Disbursement Officer was ill because of which they were unable to provide the loan. With the intervention of BO, it was agreed by both the parties, that the complainant would resubmit the loan application and the bank would consider the same again. Moreover, since the complainant had lost Rs 5000 which had been paid as registration fee to the Institute, the bank agreed to pay Rs 5000 as a token compensation and another Rs 5000 as a service gesture. The education loan was sanctioned subsequently by the bank and the student got admitted to the MBA course in the same business school.

3. How a senior citizen claimed Rs 1 lakh in compensation for Harassment regarding the loan he never took

Even though the complainant had no business relationship with ABC bank, he was getting calls/SMS from the recovery agents using abusive language & demanding repayment of some loans which he had never taken. Several complaints to the bank against this harassment calls fetched no effect. The bank pleaded to the BO that the telephone numbers from which he was getting the abusive calls did not belong to any of their recovery agents. Based on this, the BO closed the case under clause 13(d) of BO Scheme (i.e. complaint without any sufficient cause).

As the complainant continued to get the harassment calls, he went in appeal. During the appeal, the bank admitted that the phone numbers from which he was getting abusive harassment calls belonged to their recovery agents and that they had since taken necessary corrective action to discontinue such calls. The AA observed that the bank had not conducted proper due diligence while sanctioning the loan to some third person indicating a major KYC lapse. To cap it all, the bank had misguided the BO resulting in the BO pronouncing a wrong order, damaging the credibility of the BOS. The AA set aside the decision of the BO and directed the bank to pay the appellant Rs 1 lakh towards compensation.

4. How A person got Rs 6,500 as interest for Failed ATM transaction

In a case of failed ATM transaction where the account was debited though no cash was dispensed it was observed that as per BO’s orders the amount was credited to complainant’s account, but the bank did not pay the penal interest in terms of extant RBI instructions for the delayed period credit of approximately 2 months. The bank was directed to pay penalty at Rs 100 per day amounting to Rs 6500 .

Proof that it works !

How Trivikram got his wrongly wrongly credited money to different amount .

I got my money back after complaining the issue in Banking ombudsman.

Last year May I transferred money through internet banking to wrong account. After realizing I called my bank officials and requested not to transfer. But it’s already transferred they need to contact with payee bank. The other bank people not given any information as I am not a account holder. I tried through my friend they told that it’s transferred back to my account. Almost three months I tried hard back and forth in both the banks but no use.
This month (5/04/2011) I got to know about Banking ombudsman through one of my colleague and I raised the issue with all my details. Today I got my money back:-).

Ankur on comments section mentions how he got his interest back by

Hey Manish,
some good news… i finally got my intrest back for arnd 20 days. though the amount was meagre but yet it was fruitful. i had known 3 persons who applied for this scheme and we 4 guys got 6000/- back in total.
now i believe that BO(directly got a call from the branch manager to come and collect the cheque :) ) do works and finally thx to you guys for guidance.


How Atul got his IT refund with help of Banking Ombudsman

Hi Manish,

I had approached IT ombudsman for IT refund. After chasing IT officials for 2.5 years the experience with Ombudsman was inspiring. Not only I got the money back but with interest.

The only catch is that one needs to be patience and keep all proofs ready. Best way is to keep copy of letters send by post, copy of emails etc.



Procedure of Complain ?

There are two ways of  filing your complain .

Online Complaint : You can complain to Banking ombudsman online by filling up the form here . Once you fill up the form , you can also upload your proofs like bank rejection letter, banks reply or anything else (it has to be PDF or TXT format only)

Offline Complaint : You can also complain in offline mode to Banking Ombudsman. Just download this form and fill up the complaint.  You should provide your contact information, name and address of the bank against which you are lodging the complaint, documentary evidence and the compensation you need. Once you have filled up the form, you can send it to the Banking Ombudsman address which comes under your jurisdiction (Download the list of all 15 BO)

Should you complain ?

I dont see any reason why you should not ! . If you are frustrated anyways and the service is free and also does not take much time and effort to complain, then you should definately go ahead and complain to Banking Ombudsman for something which you feel you should get justice for. Forget about who will win and who will loose for a moment, but I would encourage you to atleast take the first step and be the part of this initiative atleast. If you case is genuine, I beleive banking ombudsman will help you for sure, It can take time, but dont let this get you get stopped . Go ahead .

Bonus : Read 50+ other real life cases solved by Banking ombudsman

Share your experience! .  A lot of readers have never had a bad experienced with their banks (like me) , so its your responsibility to share your bad experience in comment section and make them aware about what had happened in your case and how bad it was.  Also share what are you doing now ? Will you file a complaint with Banking Ombudsman ?

736 CommentsAdd Comment

      • Shinoj Jose

        Small issues like introducing different charges (ATM AMC, Cheque book charges etc) without intimation. But I dint argued bcos they are legal. But they should have informed me. But I saved my brother from diverting his NRI account balance to some bullshit ULIP. They were telling that they are transferring the money to some more profitable special FD. This happened with HDFC bank.

  1. Atul

    Hi Manish,

    Thanks for putting the information here since most of the people are not aware.

    I have faced and facing issues with banks,IT folks. I guess the issue is with process and human errors.

    My approach is simple. First go politely and bring up the issue to concerned parties notice with proofs and get committment date. Take email ID, mobile no. of person. This helps in developing mental pressure as first step. Follow up by phone and emails. Commitment date not met get bit aggressive and visit the bank, meet the respective manager. Make noise (not loud enough to attract everyone’s attention). Things have worked out and I never approach the banking ombudsman

    For claiming IT refund I had to approach Ombudsman as final resort after pursuing my case for 2.5 years with regular IT folks.



      • Atul

        Hi Manish,

        I had approached IT ombudsman for IT refund. After chasing IT officials for 2.5 years the experience with Ombudsman was inspiring. Not only I got the money back but with interest.

        The only catch is that one needs to be patience and keep all proofs ready. Best way is to keep copy of letters send by post, copy of emails etc.



  2. Jayaprakash Kanreddy

    That was nice informative article again. Success rate of Banking ombudsman is really good, that actually brings confidence to go ahead and complain.

    I was wondering whether we can complain about funds transfer facility of a bank? If a bank says, netbanking funds transfer facility takes 24-48 hours whereas RBI guidelines says it should be credited to beneficiary on the same day if it is done on working day and before 2pm.

    • Jayaprakash

      Yes , every thing can be dealt with , If RBI has said that if its done before 2 pm , then it should be credited the same day , then it has to be done .

      Ask for the explaintation from the Bank .


  3. Mitr Singh

    Thanks, Its very Informative article for everyone. I didn’t face such problem till now but now i am aware how to handle it. I will forward this link to my collegues & relatives.

    Mitr Singh

  4. Nagarajan Santhan

    Hi Manish,

    Good article ….

    Last month I started 2 Mutual Funds (HDFC and DSP) and gave ECS form from my SBI savings account. On 31-Mar-11 SBI debited Rs.100 from my account for “TO TRANSFER ECS MANDATE CREATION CHGS COLL”.

    As per SBI site, there is no charges for ECS verification (see Home > Service Charges & Fees > IT related service charges @ http://www.statebankofindia.com)

    Not able to reach SBI bank persons to clarify this.

    Manish, how can they will charge Rs. 100 without any initimation.

    What i will do ?

    Nagarajan S

    • Nagarajan

      It might be there somewhere on their site , you need to reach thier customer care or through some email id and get clarity on this . If you are not satisfied , then go to banking ombudsman


    • Karun

      Hi Nagarajan,

      This is charge for placing ECS mandate with the bank. Most of the public sector banks charge this.
      If you go through the charges list of the bank you would find it.


    • Karun

      Hi Nagarajan,

      31. Setting up Standing Instructions (SI).
      Rs 50/-

      This is from the link provided by you for service charges. Its Rs. 50 for standing Instruction. You might have given 2 instructions one for HDFCand another for DSP therefore 50*2 = 100.

      Karun Sandha

      • Nagarajan

        Hi Manish & Karun

        Thanks for your comments.

        I used SBI’s UNHAPPY facility to raise my issue and within 1 day I got a call from my Branch Manager and the issue is currently in bank side.

        Hope to get reply soon.

        This is the best service (UNHAPPY) provided by SBI. Details below from SBI website.

        “SMS Unhappy is the latest facility launched by the Bank to improve customer service. The service is available 24 x 7 and you do not need to visit the branch to register your grievance. All you need to do is to send just one SMS to the Bank. It is thus paperless and one more Green Initiative of the Bank.

        If you are not happy with the services offered by our Bank, just SMS “Unhappy” to 8008202020 and our dedicated “happy executives” will call you and get details regarding from you. They, together with your branch will resolve the issue to your satisfaction. The quick resolution of all your banking related troubles will surely bring a smile on your face. ”

        — Nagarajan S

        • Karun

          Hi Nagarajan,

          Its good that you have SMS the bank but kindly go thr their service charges they have mentioned charges for standing Instruction. (Point No 31)

          Its a good service launched by SBI to improve its service levels.

          Karun Sandha

          • Nagarajan Santhan

            Hi Karun,

            I hope Standing Instruction is differ from ECS.

            Kindly provide the URL which you refer.


  5. Manish

    Hi Manish,
    Regarding Case I — I have a question ..

    How did the guy proved to Banking Ombudsman that he got less cash from ATM………?

    • Manish

      I am sure the ATM machine would have that record , Like how much notes were dispensed in each transaction . Also when you communicate with the Bank about it, they will reply to you in affirmation anyways .


      • Abhilash

        Hi Manish,
        I am facing the same problem in the sense there was a difference in cash retrieval where i was supposed to withdraw Rs3500 but i received only Rs800 and i orally informed the day itself (on 10th october 2012) to the SBM manager and also gave a written complaint to my SB a/c maintained with Syndicate Bank again and again but till now i was not able to resolve it. Please help me out on this regard.

    • Karun

      Hi Manish,

      There are two A/c one with ATM another with Bank.
      When ATM A/c is debited at the same time Bank A/c has to get Credited.
      As in finance there has to be two entries Debit awa Credit.
      In the aboce mentioned case Bank A/c Cr but ATM A/c did not get debit.
      At the end of the day Bank would also have been worried abt the excess money of 500 in its A/c.

      Karun Sandha


      on 08-05-14 tried to withdraw Rs.3000/- in SBI ATM centre with my HDFC ATM card,but received Rs300/- only received the message on my mobile Rs3000/- debited in my a/c. the same informed to security he told me it can be revert Rs.2700/-within a week but so far not credited the same complained to my bank , customer care PNO desk but reply is not satisfied almost case was ending stage Please suggest what to do.

  6. Mani

    Hi Manish,

    Very good article, I was not knowing about BO but really appreciate for showing this awareness….

    But tell me one thing, in most of the cases due to lethargy to read through the end of the terms & conditions, we fail to look into certain aspects & fine tooth them, and straight away we sign on the dotted line; I hope they may not come up with these docs showing that we have signed, incase we file a complaint.

    • Mani

      Banking ombudsman deals with cases which shows Bank deficiancy or banks breaking the rules set by RBI . You cant yell on a bank for the rules and regulations which are already set . If you have signed for something then you have to follow that rules anyways .

      We are talking about things in which bank goes beyond the rules . Like if you didnt get money by ATM , but the amount was debited from your account, it should be back in your account within 12 days , Now you cant complain to BO on 5th day , but if bank does not give your money back within 12 days ,then attack .


  7. Manu

    Hi Manish

    As always ..great article.
    I face the ATM issue too . I tried to withdraw 700/- 2 times but didn’t get the money and the money got deducted from my account each time. I was using ICICI so I login to my ICICI account and there is an option to write a mail to account manager. I had written the mail to account manager providing all the details and I got all my money back in 15 days.
    But what I want to know is suppose I took Airtel connection and sign a document with them to deducted the bill every month from my account.Now when I want my bank to stop the payment to Airtel then bank said that they cannot stop the payment as I have signed a document to make payment for ECS. I said when I can stop my cheque payment from bank why I can’t stop my ECS payment and they have no answer other then their usual statement “as per their rules”. I am not sure where to look for this what is legal and what is not.

    • Shinoj Jose

      As per RBI rule, it is not required to get the letter from Airtel (or whoever is deducting the money) to stop ECS. The customer can go directly to the bank branch and can give a written intimation to stop the ECS. All you need to provide is the ‘Utility number’ of Airtel.
      But in most cases the bank will not accept this. (Donno what the hell they are gaining from this.) They will simply tell you can do it by asking Airtel side only. But stand firmly and make some noise there. Also inform them with RBI rule. This may help, as per my experiences.


  8. Manav

    I have a similar (though not equally inspiring) story to share.

    I faced a issue with online transaction with ICICI bank. Money got transferred multiple times instead of one. This brought my Savings bank account balance in Negative. I must remind you that I don’t have overdraft facility.

    I raised a issue of transfer with bank. They kept dilly-dallying. Finally after thoroughly getting frustrated, I raised a issue with
    1. CNBC
    2. Banking ombudsman, copying the bank.

    My issue was solved within 1 day of doing this. Bank called me up to apologize and almost begged me to take the complaint back.
    By then I was so frustrated that I just wanted to close the matter. I withdrew my complaint from Ombudsman.

  9. Ankur

    Hi Manish,
    thx for such nice article. i have a query on loan amount and had sent a mail to an officer of BO but got no reply/update. what happened was:
    “Recently I have availed the SBI bank Financing scheme to apply for draw of plots in the Aero City township launched by the GMADA(Greater Mohali Area Development Authority). I paid an interest of Rs.13600 for a sum of Rs.360000 which was the earnest money required by the authority to apply for the scheme for plot size 300 sq yard.
    Generally such type of draws are held after 5-6 months by the authorities and interest for 6 months is collected by the bank in advance. In the case of Aero city the draw was held after 3 months from the closing date of the scheme. On following up with the concerned branch of SBI, they rejected to repay the remaining 3 months of interest back even for unsuccessfull applicants.
    I want to bring this point to your notice that in case the draw of such schemes is not held by the authorities within the stipulated time and is postponed after 6 months, the bank providing the financing scheme takes an additional interest from the customer till the next date of draw. Should the banks not return the extra interest in case the draw is held with in 2-3 months of time frame? Is it not a monopoly of the bank to charge the interest for extra time period.”
    can anyone put up suggestions on how to track it with BO.
    ~an avid reader of jagoinvestor

    • Ankur

      How did you complain to BO ? Online or offline ? Because you might have got some reply , incase you did not , your complain might have got rejected . DId you follow the rules of complaining to BO like waiting for 1 month after complaining to the Bank ?


      • Ankur

        Manish, i sent an mail to “[email protected]” given at the link: http://www.rbi.org.in/commonman/English/Scripts/AgainstBankABO.aspx and yes it has been much more than month now. i sent it on: 9 November, 2010 and still didnt get a reply.

        • Ankur

          I dont thinks its the way you should contact them , You should follow the way I have mentioned it in the article . Through online mode , better fill up the form . You know its govt thing , no body will reply to your email . I assume that these guys must be taking prints of the online complaints and then it might go through the regular govt thing . So it will take time . But Emails are really a no no .

          Or just send the letter offline .


    • Karun



      Pls note that bank has not provided you loan till the date of draw. Kindly note that the bank in turn deploy the money with Govt of Punjab. It has right to charge the interest till it does not get its money back from the govt. Max till 6 months.
      If the draw happened in 3rd Month but are you sure Govt returned the amount of Rs.3.5 lacs back to the SBI bank by the end of 3rd Month?
      Most probably answer would be NO.

      In case you want to pursue the case its upto you but I personally don’t see a merit in it.

      Karun Sandha

  10. Rakesh


    Very informative article. I have never faced any problems with my bank so far.
    But this will be handy in future.


  11. Hem

    I’ve a savings acc with HSBC. I once lost Rs.2000/- in ATM (Andhra Bank) transaction. When I complained to the HSBC bank they said there was not any faulty transaction and fined me Rs.250/- sighting I raised a false complaint. So I lost more money now for making complaint. I took up the issue with Andhra Bank and they promptly came back saying there was a faulty transaction and in fact, they found extra Rs.2000/- in the ATM. By this time, it was almost a month and I asked HSBC to pay Rs.100/- per day as fine along with Rs. 2000/-. There was no option for them but to pay.

    I kept all the conversation in e-mail. I hardly dialed them.

  12. keshav

    In April 2009 we relocated ourself as a result my dad PPF A/c also required to be relocated. We made a complaint regarding less interest being credited in the A/c which was acknowledged by the manager but till date we didn’t receive any amount.
    Could we complain under
    Any Loss suffered because of lack of co-ordination from Bank side.

    • Keshav

      Why not , do it soon now . First mail bank telling them your points and see what they deal with it . After a month, if you are still unsatisfied and bank was out of their rules and refulations, Talk to BO . I am sure it will materialize into something good


  13. Sudheer

    Good Info Manish,
    Icici bank, which is the salary account for me, has restricted bill payment (I mean purchase of mutual funds, payment of lic premium through a gateway) to 4 per day. This is not published anywhere nor communicated to me officially. My Lic agent has split my policy into 5 (way back in 1994) and I had to pay 5 premiums on a day, which was not supported by the bank. Will this come under Banking Ombudsman’s purview ? Bank is still not sending any official confirmation on this.

  14. Krish

    I am going through one of the weird experience with HDFC bank. This bank has the criteria for preferred customers. When you meet the criteria, you presume that it is automatically upgraded to the next level. One fine day I wanted one of the benefit extended to preferred customers. They coolly informs me that am not entitled because my status is not elevated as preferred. Left with no choice of denial, they did it after lot of pushing. Once it is done, the bank sends no confirmation that your status is upgraded. You just have to rely on RM’s word.

    There is no annual debit card fee for the preferred customer. There is a discount of 50% annual locker fee. They deduct full fee promptly on the first day of the fiscal year. Every time I had to remind them to reverse the charges. Surprisingly they call these benefits as previlages. The bank makes the customers to beg them to avail these previlages. First time, I had to look at the meaning of ‘previlage’ in Dictionary.

    The mindset of the banks (private or govt.) over a period of time did not change. They don’t extend any benefits automatically and still not customer friendly or proactive. When you are eligible for small benefit, they make sure that it is done as favor. Worse, it seems to me that the private banks have forgotten banking and long moved to value added services in the name of marketing insurance & other high commission products. It is funny, when I get to speak with any bank staff these days to solve my banking issue, the discussion ends up with a suggestion to invest in some product.

  15. Lucky


    Will tell you my personal example.
    I had issues with SC credit card, which was long back closed. Suddenly I started getting calls from recovery agents. I complained to bank, but it felt on deaf ears. After 3-4 months of this dilly-delaying, dropped a mail to SC copying BO and within a week got a apology mail from bank and just a week after that my CIBIL was also updated ( I know this coz I got the CIBIL report for my loan).

    So at times, even copying to BO helps. no need to launch a seperate formal complain

  16. Shinoj Jose

    Issue with ECS cancellation.
    I am having account with SBI (NAL Brach, Bangalore). I had ECS mandate with multiple entities like Vodafone and some mutual funds. When I asked them to stop the ECS with Vodafone, they simply refused saying that they dont have any provision for doing that. Then I made a seen there and told them about RBI rule for ECS cancellation. Finally they agreed. And did the same. Remember, the rush and queue in SBI is so huge that I spend almost half a day there.
    Now come the funny thing. Next month, some of my Mutual fund SIPs got cancelled. I got mail from the fund house that the bank rejected the auto debit. What happened was, they cancelled the wrong ECS. And happily charged 200 Rs as fine for ECS bouncing. (?)

    I have another ECS with a new generation bank where my salary was getting credited. I called there call center people regarding the cancellation ECS. They clearly explained me the steps and guided me. The process was online. I logged in to their site and all was done within few minutes. Within one day I got mail saying that the same has been done.

    See the difference. When will our Sarkari Babus learn the basics of customer satisfaction?

  17. Sandeep

    Hi Manish,
    Good to read this note. In fact, I was planning to ask you the same.

    I have SBI loan, started in Jul-2009.
    scheme was: 1st yr 8% then 9.25% for next 4 yrs fixed.
    In Jun-2010, SBI suddenly started charging interest @ 11.5%. When contacted SBI, its mistake from head office, we have informed them. We dont have rights to change. continuous 3 months they charged me @ 11.5%. Then in Sep-2010 they credited extra interest which was debited for 3 months.

    But now, instead of making interest rate 9.25, they mentioned as 9.75%. still same is going on. I have contacted many times by visiting but the same story. It is from head office, we have informed Belapur, navi Mumbai office. I am regularly doing followup by e-mail, phone. Personally cant contact them since I m not in India.
    Now I dont have Allotment letter from SBI in which interest rate is mentioned.

    Please suggest.


      • Sandeep

        Thanks Manish. But as mentioned, I am not in India and not carrying any document with me. I have only emails, sent to SBI branch and RACPC, Pune. I am NOT the only person who is suffering, there are many customers (as per bank).
        Can I approach online with this sent emails as a proof?


        • Karun

          Hi Sandeep,

          My personal experience shows that SBI staff is not very much computer literate. Are you sure they have read your mails and replied back to you thr email.

          In case they have not why don’t u send a copy thr Fedex or some other courier service provider?

          Karun Sandha

    • Karun

      Hi Sandeep,

      Usually the loan is fixed for initial 3 years and not 5 as mentioned by you.
      You must be having a copy of the all the loan related documents just have a look at it.

      I think problem with SBI is that they can’t reverse the interest rate. I think now 9.75% would be getting charged for 2nd and 3rd year i.e they are charging you so.

      Why dont you approach their Unhappy service. Might be of some help.

      Karun Sandha

  18. Nihaal

    Dear Manish,

    I have a grievance which is sadly not related to a bank but a NBFC.

    The Case:
    One of my friends took a car loan from a nbfc 3 years back and he wanted a reference for this loan (i now realize there is no such thing as a reference for a loan) i obliged and gave him a duplicate copy of my pan card.

    For atleast 2 years i have been applying for credit cards and getting rejection letters from all the banks. I finally was fed up with this and decided to get my cibil report and was shocked to see that i was the co-applicant for the car loan my friend had taken 3 years back. He had defaulted on this loan which was reflecting on my cibil report and that being the main reason for me not getting any credit card.

    Like i mentioned earlier i had given my friend a copy of my pan card but i had never signed any loan application form, so i followed up with my friend (who still claims that i was supposed to a reference for this loan) and also with the customer care at the NBFC (who i must say were extremely rude). I managed to get the loan application form from the NBFC and i’m a cent percent sure that my signature has been forged on the form. Now my friend (would not want to call him a friend anymore) claims that the person who gave him this loan never told him about me being a co-applicant and he always thought i was only a reference.

    My Complaint:
    Now in this case the NBFC has been negligent simply because i never signed the loan application form and it is ofcourse the duty of a NBFC to have the applicant sign the form in presence of the bank witnesses, which in this case i’m sure they will not be able to produce.

    Now i really don’t know what course of action to take. NBFC’s as per my knowledge don’t fall in the purview of the Banking Ombudsman. Please advice on what action i can take against the NBFC and how?

    P.S: My friend who took the loan seems to me as a guilty party as well but the only action i can take against him is a police complaint and that too would not fetch me anything really apart from wasting my money.

    • Nihaal

      That was really a shocking incident ,I can see that its a clear case of forgery as you never signed the papers and how come they didnt ask for other documents from you , is PAN enough to get a loan, as a co-applicant

      Ombudsman does not cover NBFC , but i think you can complain about them in consumer court . Firs you complain to the complaint section of the NBFC , and then take it further

      Can you share what is the current status of the case ?

      • Nihaal

        Well there were two documents; pan card and a copy of my electricity bill (i’m guessing my friend obtained this from my flat in pune and i was staying in bombay at the point of time).

        The loan has been paid of by my friend only in december 2010 so i guess getting a credit card now should not be a problem, i’m still awaiting a reply from a bank on this.

        The only point of the contact for me at the NBFC is the Consumer care and they have been telling me that they are in no way responsible for this. Of course this response from them comes after almost a week of extreme rude behavior towards me. I also threatened them with legal action to which they appeared unperturbed.

        I have got the name of the authorized signatory for the NBFC from the copy of loan agreement, he was (or still is) the assistant manager of the pune branch, so if that is one person who could be blamed.

        So now i’m still unsure on the course of action i should take. Ombudsman would have been perfect for speedy settlement, consumer court will be a long legal process so expensive. But i guess this is the only option available!

  19. Vidyasagar

    Issue with getting money from other Bank’s ATM machine.

    I had a kind of experience with SBI. Four months ago I went to Andhra bank ATM to withdraw 15K using my SBI debit card. I got transaction declined slip with response code 002(not very sure though). But the amount was deducted from account.
    I went to my branch and explained them what had happened. But the SBI bank employee told me , the problem is with Andhra Bank only because the money was released from SBI and it’s with Andhra Bank’s gateway.
    So when I explained the same to Andhra Bank manager, he laughed at this explanation and asked me to lodge a complaint with SBI bank only. He clearly told me like his bank didn’t have any roles to play with this case.
    Again I went to my branch and lodge a complaint along with the transaction slip (I had the transaction slip with me). All these were made on saturdays only coz of my work I can go to branch only on saturdays.
    After 2.5 months of regular follow ups I finally got the amount credited to my account. I dont have idea of Ombudsman that time :(

  20. Trivikram

    I got my money back after complaining the issue in Banking ombudsman.

    Last year May I transferred money through internet banking to wrong account. After realizing I called my bank officials and requested not to transfer. But it’s already transferred they need to contact with payee bank. The other bank people not given any information as I am not a account holder. I tried through my friend they told that it’s transferred back to my account. Almost three months I tried hard back and forth in both the banks but no use.
    This month (5/04/2011) I got to know about Banking ombudsman through one of my colleague and I raised the issue with all my details. Today I got my money back:-).

    • K Sudheer

      I also did similar wrong transfer of funds from ICICI to HDFC. HDFC credit card people hold on money, Both banks are not helping in this regard. I just gave complaint to banks ombudsman after seeing your message. Hope I get justice.

    • Prerak Sharma

      Dear Trivikram,

      I know someone who is facing the same problem as you, i will advise him to approach the banking ombudsman. In the mean while it would of great help to him if you could please e-mail me a copy of the order passed by the banking ombudsman in your case.


      Prerak Sharma

  21. krishna kumar

    Hi, if you any kind of banking dispute, then you should file a complaint to your bank and then when you don’t get reply within 30 days then you should file a complaint to your Banking Ombudsman. You can read this particular article in this Akosha went ahead and looked at the various issues relating to the banking problem. You can find the full article on banking complaints processed by ombudsman. Do share your thoughts on the article.

  22. gaurav

    Hello Manish sir,

    I am trying to complain online, but link provided by you is not working…

    Thanks & Regards,
    Gaurav Shah

  23. Abu Naim

    Dear Sir
    Kindly help me in Following;

    We had applied for a C/C facility from SBI,Bank Officials came ,Surveyed premises, but never inform about the product which they applying in our case.In last they inform us that your C/C Limit sanctioned & complete the Formalities,we enquire about Interest rate & other Terms & conditions at that time & we refused to take the C/C Limit in last.No Paper we signed, No money credited to our A/C.
    But Bank has charged Rs. 10,000/- from our Current A/C & debited the amount without any information to us.
    Kindly Guide what to Do.? We constantly writing to bank but they are answering in diffrent mode, & Justifiying their charges.

    Pls help us in this regards


  24. JAYAN

    my mother in law holding an sb account with a nationalised bank.recently my wife’s name added as joint account holder(operating mode is either or survives) .for taking passport in the name of my wife she given a referrel letter request to the concerned branch,but the branch manager neglected her request and he said such facilities are not given by the bank.Is it true ?
    pleas find the requeest that she have given to the branch.

    Dear Sir/Madam we request you to give last one year account statement of our account and stating that we have been operating the account since 3/11/2006.

    she got the accont statement but not the refferel letter.kindly advise me the posibility of getting the refferal letter .is it possible to get the referal letter stating that her mother is operating the acccount since 3/11/2006 and her daughter’s name added as joint holder since 28/8/2011.

    • lokesh

      actually, you should try to write a letter to branch manager stating the request and let the manager certify the details…. it would be easier to manager to do this task….
      your request is specific and there is not a format for specific tasks for banks.

  25. Prem Narayan Singh

    Dear All,
    I, Prem Narayan Singh (Emp. Code-193) worked with Janalakshmi Social Services (Add: WZ-255A, 1stFloor, Opp. Metro Pillar No.-666, Nagafgarh Road, Uttam Nagar, New Delhi-110059) from 11/04/2011 to 25/07/2011. Due to some personal reason, I submitted my resignation. But till date I did not received my Full & Final and reliving letter.They did not paid my salary of month of June & July 2011 and also cut my conyence and as well as special allowance. Apart from that they torcher me, that,s why I am facing a lot of problem.
    Please do the needful on the urgent basis.
    For Detail contact to Mr. Praveen Shaha.
    (Branch Head), Mob. No.-09654669999, 011-45768126.
    Email: [email protected],
    Thanks & Regards:
    Prem Narayan Singh,
    Mob. No-09312807919.

  26. Dear All
    I , Harijesh Kumar Gupta (Emp. Code: FOS 28624) worked with IDBI Bank Ltd. (D -824, New Friends Colony, New Delhi – 110065), since 10/08/2010 to 03/05/2011. Due to personal reason, I have submitted my resignation. I have received my full & final but I did not receive my Reliving Letter and P.F. That,s why I am facing a lot of Problems.
    please do the needful on the urgent basis .

    Thanks & Regards:
    Harijesh Kumar Gupta,
    Mob. No: 09818282417

  27. Ankit

    My bank has debited my account by cheques which are not issued by us and are lying with us till date. I informed the bank about the same for which i didnt get any reply. So after 37 days i filled a complaint with BO on 12 Nov. It has been a week but havent received any reply from BO’s side. Kindly guide me on how much time does it take to solve the issues.

      • Ankit

        I have already filed a complaint with the BO on 12 Nov. But havent got any reply from BO. how much time does it take for BO to solve the issues? Also, can we update the information filled online now?

        • lokesh


          you are saying that cheques were not issued by you. then
          ??were those cheques lost from your custody
          were not at all your cheques???


    Hi manish
    very good article and great to see people benefitting from it.

    i have a issue with my bank, i bank with State bank of hyderabad.
    i opted to convert my regular savings account to savings account plus (auto sweep what private banks call) which gives me more interest for the idle funds lying in the savings account. i gave a written application on 11-10-2011. it took them a total of 35 days to activate the same and due to that i lost interest amount which i would have got had it been day in a day or 2. the amount after calculation comes to around rs 340. i had send them several email reminders and verbal ones whenever i went to the bank during the last 35 days. i asked for my interest lost, they coolly said they cant do anything about it.finally after reading your article i filed online complaint with banking ombudsman. now do i have to go to RBI with my complaint. it has been successfully registered online, will they call me??

    • Rajesh

      Expect the things to move slowly .. Banking ombudsman will work at their own pace . I am, just wondering if you should really care for 340 for the amount of energy you are spending on this .



        yes i do care especially since rs 350 can buy me around 3.5 litres of speed petrol for my travel. but to tell u i have even complained to indigo airlines for a token amount of rs 1 which was wrongly charged and their customer service was slow in responding to my mails and i ended up being offered rs 1000 as a travel voucher. i am associated with service industry so if i offer good services to others i would definitely expect my due.

  29. Suhas

    Whether the complaint for home loan against any bank like ICICI,HDFC is covered by RBI banking ombudsman> or by some other authority like RBI’sDept of nonbanking supervision?

    Whoim should I contact for complaining for mu home loan issues?

  30. Bharat Kamble

    Dear sir,

    I have paid a fees of AUS $ 500 to the VISA department of Australia through my ICICI credit card on 21st june 2011. In my July month credit card statement, it showed me as a successful transaction. I was happy. Later in the August month statement i saw that their was one more transaction of the same amount (INR Rs. 24603) by the VISA department. I called them for the details. They said that the earlier transaction was unsuccessful and so they did it once more. I asked them for the proof of unsuccessful transaction and the same was given to me by the VISA department in the form of a reference number of their bank ( Commonwealth bank). Then i called the icici customer care and told the whole story. They said that you should talk to the commonwealth bank only because they have done the transaction. Once again i called the CWB, they said that they speak only to the merchant bank and not to the customer. Later i raised a dispute through icici bank stating the problem on 27th Sep. 2011. Now still the dispute is on hold and when i am calling the icici customer care. they are telling that the dispute may give negative result also. I am scared now for what to do now. Please give me some suggestions/ alternative for where i can claim my money. The amount is huge.

      • Bharat Kamble

        Thank you for your valuable feedback. The amount of Rs. 24603 was deducted twice instead of once. It means I have to get a refund of Rs. 24603. I have raised a dispute against this amount which is still in process. Do you mind if I can make you clear the case by having a verbal communication with you?

          • Bharat Kamble

            Dear Manish,
            My case has been solved and the entire money has been deposited to my a/c. I am very grateful to you. Its all because of you. Thank you so much sir. My case which was posted by you on twitter had worked out.
            Once again thank you very much !!!
            Bharat Kamble

              • Bharat Kamble

                Dear sir,

                One more problem i am facing regarding my case. The ICICI bank has deposited the amount back to my account but now they have blocked my credit card as the validity of the card was till nov. 2011. And i have Rs. 10500/- in my credit card account. I want that money to be transferred to my saving account and want to close the credit card. How should i proceed?

                • Bharat

                  As the credit card has crossed its validity , better talk to bank on the issue of its blocking .. There might be some procedure to get your money back in your account . go to yout ICICI bank branch and talk there .


      • Bharat Kamble

        In continuation, i have paid the credit card bill on regular time. Never i have kept any amount pending from my side.

  31. selva

    Hi Manish

    I got a peronal loan from ICICI bank five years back . Since i have changed my banking account to HDFC i was not able to pay the EMI -loan repayment thru ECS ( ICICI), But i have paid the EMI to the bank directly, but i donot have any proofs now.

    Suddenly i got a call from ICICI bank people stating that i have not paid the EMI

  32. selva

    Hi Manish

    I got a peronal loan from ICICI bank five years back . Since i have changed my banking account to HDFC i was not able to pay the EMI -loan repayment thru ECS ( ICICI), But i have paid the EMI to the bank directly, but i donot have any proofs now.

    Suddenly after 4 years , i got a call from ICICI bank people stating that i have not paid the EMI.
    How to approach this situation as i do not have any proofs for the EMI paid directly to the bank



    • Selva

      how did you make the payment “directly” ? It should be through a cheque or some kind of document (I hope its not CASH) , There should be some confiusion from bank side . I am sure your CIBIL score is messed up and will create some problem for you in future . please ask for your CIBIL score soon and check it out



    Dear Sir,

    I am Sandeep Wadpillay staying at Pune Maharashtra, Before six month i took housing loan from Dewan Housing Fiance Ltd.I want to do transfer this loan to State Bank of India. But I heared from some peoples that SBI can’t takeover my loan. So please let me know why SBI can’t take over loan..?

    Sandeep Wadpillay

    • Sandeep

      There is nothing like that . Who told you that SBI cant take over your loan ? Is tehre any clause in your agreement with Dewan Housing Finance that you cant prepay the loan sourced from other bank money ? if thats written in contract , then you cant do that


  34. Jayan

    Respected Sir/Madam,
    My name is JAYAN. P, I the account holder of SBI Jalahalli, Bangalore. My SBI account No is 30111705796. I withdrawn a sum Rs.10000/- from Induslnd Bank ATM at Tezpur, Assam on 12/10/2011 at around 11.26hrs through my ATM Card No 6220180096300273065. After the transaction I revealed that a sum of Rs. 10000/- was extra deducted from my account.
    I submitted a complaint to my nearest SBI, Salonibari, Tezpur and Indusind bank at Tezpur on the same day. They direct that, wait for some days the money will automatically revert to your account. After that, I approach so many times for the above said banks. After that the both bank said we cannot do anything for this complaint. You approach your parent bank i.e. SBI Jalahalli, Bangalore.
    I submitted a complaint to SBI, Jalahalli, Bangalore on 29 October 2011 through registered post and the same received by them on 03 Nov 2011. But the above said amount has not been revert to my account till date. Therefore I humbly request to your kind honour to do needful at an early date.
    Thanking you,

    GE (I) (P) (AF) Tezpur
    Distt :Sonitpur
    Tezpur, Assam-784 104

  35. Vidya

    Dear Manish,

    I hold a savings account in citibank. On 16th November 2010, I made 4 withdrawal transactions at Axis bank atm. I tried to make 4 withdrawal transactions of 10000, 10000, 5000 and 5000. Of which, the 3rd transaction has failed. I lodged the complaint through phone to customer care of citibank the same day about failed atm transaction. They gave me provisional credit but based on confirmation from Axis bank that the transaction is valid, they reversed the credit, on dec 1st, 2010 meaning that 5000 got debited from my account though i did not get the cash. I disputed this with bank executive, but he has said citibank cannot do anything more in this regard and I have to approach Axis bank.

    On comparison of the transaction advices & statement of axis bank which citibank sent to me, I find that Axis bank has confirmed that the transaction is valid for the 4th withdrawal transaction of 5000 rs which was successful & I did get cash for this, however, the earlier transaction, the third one, for 5000 rs. the same day had failed. Bank had not looked into the status of this and given feedback. It is clear that bank has not done proper and complete investigation. I approached axis bank manager of Kalyan nagar, who did not want to take any responsibility for this matter and again redirected me to their head office. I could not follow up this matter after this as this was not getting anywhere and I got busy with personal engagements.

    This month, I again, approached citibank with detailed letter, giving the facts of the case along with transaction advices, but they reply that they have debited based on axis bank’s confirmation. They have not looked into the dispute and incomplete investigation of axis bank.

    Now, can I get help from bank ombudsman to get my money. What other compensation can I claim for the inconvenience put through. Am I eligible for interest for delay in solving the matter. I have lodged the complaint about failed atm transaction the same day to citibank, but now, its been over a year . Does RBI rules permit resolution of cases after a year has passed.

    • Vidya

      You can approach Banking Ombudsman as you have already for followed up with Bank .. if you have any proofs with you , keep it .

      Once more mail to manager of AXIS bank with cc to banking omnbudsman (also mention in email that you are going to banking ombudsman now) . this should do some magic . As you are liable for an interest + Rs 100 per day penalty for all the days they have not gave back to you . So in best case 36500 :)


      • Vidya

        Dear Manish,

        Thanks for your reply and guidance. Here, axis bank is the third party. My registered complaint & followups are with citibank, while after they directed me to approach axis bank, I contacted the local branch manager of axis bank who did not offer help or accept my written complaint but redirected me to their head office. All my documentary evidences, mails and phone calls with customer service has been with Citibank, as that is where I hold my account. a) What is RBI’s stand on this- do they put the onus on the bank where we hold the account or is it on the third party bank where the transaction failed. b) I followedup with Citibank again last week and the latest is manager says I did not dispute within 60 days from the date of purchase transaction and hence they are unable to assist. While my original complaint is indeed within the time frame, their investigation was about a different transaction. If there is a faulty investigation, is the onus to revert within timeframe with the customer ( I feel it should not be so, as the customer may not be skilled to investigate. What is RBI’s stand on error in investigation of failed transaction. c) If the cash does not get dispensed, how can a customer prove that cash was not received, in case the bank disputes it. Thanks for your time.

        • Vidya

          when money is not dispenced from the ATM , it is recorded in their internal system , so you dont have the proof, but the proof is ther ein bank recorsd ,

          You should now complain to BO


  36. Latha


    I am also facing a same situation. I have account with ICICI bank.

    My husband made ATM transaction from State Bank of Travancore ATM on 12th September 2011. He made 4 chain trasactions at the same time for Rs. 10000,10000,10000 & 7000. On those third one failed (Rs.10000/-) and he got a receipt telling “Transaction not successful.” and he didnt get money. So he made the 4th transaction of Rs.7000 and got money.

    But after 2-3 days I checked my ICICI account balance and went to know that the money(Rs.10000/-) is deducted from my account. I contacted one of the ICICI customer care guy and he told within 7 (maximum 10) days the money will reversed to my account. I was waiting. But I didnt received it after 10 days.

    I went to ICICI brach and registered a complaint on 23rd September 2011. Unfortunately I didnt get any reply for that complaint. Again I went to the branch and talk with the officials. They told they got the reply from State Bank of Travancore like the trancation was successful. But on cross check, the time given by the SBT people was different(6.50 am) from the one I made transaction (8.30 am). So they told that they are going to resubmit it again. So again I was waiting and calling the customer care on a day to day basis.

    At last one guy from the customer care told the complaint was registered againt a successful transaction, so he is registering another complaint for another transaction (on 15/10/11). No reply for that also. So I called the customer care and got the same reply(transaction was successful). Again that customer care guy told, he is registering complaint for the remaining two transactions also. So I would get a positive feed back and registered two more compaints (19/10/11).
    Thanks to him for atleast without calling the Customer care I got a SMS reply telling the same answer.

    I am fed up with calling customer care.I lost my money, time, energy, and belief on ICICI……really hopeless….

    Again I called CC and they told to send a mail to [email protected], you will give a solution within 24 hours. But no reply for that mail.

    So I registered another compliant from ICICI site to head of Customer care, Krishnan Govindan. I got a reply fro that telling the same thing transaction was successful. Agin I called cc, and talk with some top manager. He told they enquired with SBT, all the transactions are successful. So they cant do anything more on this matter.

    I dont have atm receipt for that transaction, I have the suuccessful three transaction receipts on that day. Is it possible to give complaint to BO on this matter? How can i prove I ddint get money on that transaction???

    Expecting an early reply. Hoping I will get my money back…..

    Thanks & regards,

  37. Dear Manish
    Sub.Complain for debit Rs. 5000/- from my NRI account: Reg.

    Plz. help me as per below mentioned details bank is no reply positive in my fever for in this case. I am so many time physically visit of banks representative toking only this case is time taking job. i do no when time is end. and here with proof attached reply for banks axis/icici.Subject: Re: ‘AXISIBRM=014-822-151′ Complain for debit Rs. 5000/- from my NRI account: Reg.
    From: “NRICELL” Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:56:00
    To: You and others
    Dear Sir / Madam,

    Please find the email below from your branch NRI customer which is self explicit. Kindly revert to customer suitably under intimation to us.

    Thanks and regards,

    Jayshree Satam
    Team NRICELL
    ICICI Bank replay:-From: “Senior Management Desk”
    Sent: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:14:14
    To: “[email protected]
    Subject: Re: ‘ICICICARE=043-384-502′ ICICI BANK LTD
    Dear Mr Yadav,
    We refer to your appended e-mail of December 9, 2011 addressed to the Managing Director which has been forwarded to the undersigned for due analysis and redressal.
    We understand that you have complained about the disputed transaction of Rs. 5000/- to your banker i.e. Axis Bank.We regret our inability to provide the CCTV clippings due to technical issue.
    We request you to take up with your banker for further redressal of your grievance. Further, we wish to inform you that, as per NFS network operating rules, the Bank whose ATM was used to withdraw funds is not obligated to provide the CCTV footage to the card issuing Bank.
    We request you to meet th e above response with understanding and acceptance.
    Manager -Senior Management Desk
    Note:- Sir plz look in to this mater all ready this mater is vary vary take long time.

    Date 29.08.2011
    The Branch Manager,
    Axis Bank,
    Branch: Naya More, Bokaro

    Sub: Complain for debit Rs. 5000/- from my NRI account: Reg.
    Dear Sir,
    Myself Anand Prasad Yadav, Joint account holder Ritesh Kumar Yadav S/o- Shri Sukdeo Rai, At- Qtr. No: 63 workers flat, Baridih, Jamshedpur (JH). I am a permanent account holder in your bank since more than one year. My account No: 910010004421372 and I open my account in below mentioned branch address:
    Bank Name: Axis Bank, Branch Off. Voltas Building, Bistupur, Jamshedpur (JH).
    Sir, I would like to inform you that on dated 26.08.2011 Rupees 5000/- debited from my account that is showing in my bank statement, cash debited from ICICI (ATM) sec – 4 Bokaro.
    In addition, it is confirm that I am not use my ATM card on the above said date, so I humbly request you to please look into the matter as soon as possible.
    Thanking you,
    With regards,

    Anand Prasad Yadav.
    Hotel Malati Mahal,
    B-9 Sec-4 , B.S. City
    Bokaro ( JH)
    Mob: 9608085097

  38. Ashwani Kumar

    3rd September, 2011
    Hon’ble Finance Minister
    North Block, New Delhi-110001

    Subject : 1. ICICI Bank is indulging in unfair trade practices to
    Dupe innocent Home Loan Customers/ operating in
    self styled fashion without fear of Law

    2. ICICI Bank Levied Pre-Payment Penalty on Principle
    O/S Rs 1,10,749.00 to the tune of Rs 16,039.05 @ 14.48%

    3. Principal O/S Rs 1,05,698.00 was, as per ICICI Bank
    record attached, but they hiked it to Rs 1,10,749.00

    4. Original Loan was granted by ICICI Home Finance
    but to avoid purview under HFC they seems to have falsified records to dupe the Public in India, People already facing heat on account of Interest Hike, inflation, economic slowdown, job losses, Price Hike to name few.

    5. The inflation, Price hike, Economic Slowdown takes time to control but this practice is easier to control and will benefit masses and will enhance the image of the Government being pro masses.

    Most Respected Hon’ble Finance Minister,

    I beg apology for encroaching upon your valuable time, but today I exhausted all channels in HFC & Ministry of Finance, who in turn referred it back to HFC, leveling me back to square one. The facts of the case are penciled down as under;

    1. I have availed home Loan from ICICI HOME FINANCE vide Loan account Numbers LBDEL00001012853 & LBDEL00000957380, offer letter attached in “Appendix 6” page no’s 20 to 23.

    2. The ICICI Bank levied pre-payment penalty against Account Number LBDEL00000957380 @ 14.48%, on Principal O/S of Rs 1,10,749.00 amounting to Rs 16,039.05, closure letter is enclosed in “Appendix 3” page no. 1.

    3. The Principal O/S as per ICICI Bank record is was 1,05,898.00 but raised it to 1,10,749.00, record downloaded from ICICI Bank is attached in “Appendix 3” page no. 4.

    4. Had I paid installments stretched over 13 months, I would have ended paying Rs 1,12,882.00, whereas they charged me Rs 1,30,396.31, copy of cheque attached in “Appendix 3”, “Page no. 2”.A clean penalty to the tune of Rs 17514.31 for paying early, besides putting other interest charge etc..

    5. The Bank also levied pre-payment penalty on 2nd Loan Account No. LBDEL0000101285, Principal O/S 3,66,592.00 @ 2.21%, of Rs 8101.68.

    6. Needless to mention but the time value of money principal applies here that “a Rupee today is worth more than a Rupee in the future” Banks should give discounts rather than imposing pre-payment penalty.

    7. I represented my case to housing Financial Corporation vide letter Ref. ref. no. NHB/ICICIBANK/HL SETTLEMENT/1 Dated 14th June, 2011, copy enclosed in “Appendix 5” pages 16 to 19. The same was registered vide ack. Letter ref. no. NHB(ND)/Complaint Cell/577/7531/2011/7439 dated 22nd June, 2011, copy attached in “Appendix 5” page no. 15.

    8. The same case was returned by NHB vide letter ref. no. NHB(ND)/Complaint Cell/577/11654/2011 dated August 25, 2011, citing jurisdiction issue. The copy of reply is enclosed in “Appendix 5” page 12. It seems that NHB did not go deeply in the documents/ references I made in my letters enclosed in “Appendix 5” pages 12(1) to 13 & 16 to 19.

    9. The fact remains that Loan Offer letter was originally issued by ICICI Home Finance, enclosed in “Appendix 6”, pages 20 to 23, subsequently the loan revision letter as well as “Provisional statement for claiming Deductions under Section 80C(2)(xviii) & 24 (b) of the Income tax act, 1961” was also issued by ICICI HOME FINANCE, please refer “Appendix 7” , pages 24 to 26 &“Appendix 8” pages 27 & 28. Please also refer “Appendix 10” pages from 58 to 78, Loan Agreement inked between ICICI HOME FINANCE & us.

    10. The above mentioned documents establishes beyond all doubt that HFC was mislead by ICICI Bank and they tried the same to me by writing letter dated July 13, 2011, copy enclosed in “Appendix 5”, page 14. Now let us say even if ICICI Bank is acting as per law by managing readings between lines or using whatever technique then this is not pro-people but pro-Bank. A Google search would reveal how many people are suffering, sucked by Banks and the complaints are falling on deaf ears, becoming part of the web achieves.

    11. The same complaint is also lodged with PG Portal vide Ref. No. DEABD/E/2011/01013 dated 21st July, 2011.

    12. Even this information was also filed with Competition Commission of India under Section 4(2) of CCI-Abuse of Dominant position by ICICI Bank, vide letter Ref. No. :CCI/ICICIBANK/HL SETTLEMENT/1 Dated 14th June, 2011, Copy enclosed vide “Appendix 4” Pages from 8 to 11, but without response till date. It needs special attention of CCI as it is not affecting individuals but masses running in Millions.

    13. Unless stringent action coupled with unusual penalties viz. 100 times or more the amount realized/ extracted is imposed on Banks, they will continue to extract /extort money from people, and affected parties will grow manifold day by day causing resentment among the masses.

    14. Hon’ble Finance Minister your intervention at this crucial juncture is sought to benefit masses by restoring the money collected by Banks for the last two or three years with penal interest. It will also boost the image of the government especially at a time when countrymen are bleeding on account of inflation, price hike, interest hike, fuel price hike, to name few. It will be viewed as populist measure in favor of masses/ families suffered, suffering and are suppose to suffer in future in the hands of Lending Institutions/ Banks.

    Thanking you for your precious time and looking forward positive action in favor of your own Countryman.

    Truly Yours,

    Ashwani Kumar
    BE(Electronics & telecommunications),MBA(Mktg.)
    FIETE,MIE,C.Eng(Chartered Engineer),FIV
    10, Surya Kiran Apartments,
    D Block, Vikas Puri,
    New Delhi-110018
    Copy to:
    1. Chairman & Managing Director
    National Housing Bank
    Core 5A, 5th Floor,
    India Habitat Centre,
    Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003

    2. Hon’ble Minister of Corporate Affairs
    NEW DELHI – 110 001

  39. uday kiran vadapalli

    Recently i’ve lodged a grievance against a bank with banking ombudsman
    i received complaint no also.
    let me know how to track the status??



  41. Mr. Debmalya Basu

    To, From:- DEBMALYA BASU,
    The Branch Manager,
    ICICI Bank, ALIGANJ Branch , ,

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Enclosed please find the Xerox copy of the financial statement of 2011 of my savings account No:-032501000008,
    which is not only ridiculous but highly irregular, irresponsible, neglectful, and has caused me the following immense troubles.
    1. First, it has caused me a lot of unnecessary inconvenience as I had to personally visit the mother branch to get my doubts clarified regarding the reflection of the erroneous tax deduction of amount Rs 3375/-( Rupees Three Thousand Three Hundred Seventy Five only) as no other branch could give any proper reply. On visiting the branch I was not able to get any convincing reply from the Deputy Branch manager, who told that it as the account is under “Auto-sweep” mode it will take a long time to find out the actual amount of interest accrued on the corpus I am having in my account.
    2. Then, to my most surprise and shock, I came to know from the same person that my PAN is not updated, which is almost next to impossible and absurd matter and she cited that this may be one of the reason for which the tax has been deducted @ 20% as under RBI guidelines. This is an account which is more than 11 years old (transferred from Vasant Vihar Branch , New Delhi) where non- updation of PAN number is just an absurdity. Then also , I would like to know why I was not intimated about such irregularity and how the bank has operated the account without any PAN number for such a long time. Not only that, I received 2 copies of 15-G forms by courier immediately after 4 days of my visit to the branch, but did not receive any details which authenticate the deduction of the tax amount as justified.
    3. If , I refer to simple arithmatic and consider Rs 3375/- as 10% of the accrued interest then 100% of the accrued interest becomes aproximately Rs3,37,500, for which what amount of corpus to be maintained in the account for 12 months @ 8% interest can be calculated by a student of 8th standard very easily. Even if I consider Rs 3375/- as 20 % of the accrued interest then 100% of the accrued interest becomes approximately Rs 168750/- , for which again it should be calculated what amount I should have maintained for 12 months in a savings account. Hope I need not to give further clarifications to make you understand that it is an error on your part for which inconviniences melted on my way. I would also like to let you know that the present corpus which is lying in the account is the amount which I received as my pensionary benefit while retiring from Indian Air Force , in February 2010, which is also Tax Free , as per GOI rules and regulations, for your kind and necessary information.
    4. In view of the above, as a very old customer of this bank, I request you to view this matter very seriously and look into it to find the actual reason. You are also requested to substantiate the entire harassment I undergone in every possible way and also financially.Hope I am very clear in my above lines, and solicit an early action and information from your side.

    Thanking You,
    Yours Truly,

  42. Pushpa

    Hi Manish,

    I have opened an account with Kotak bank last year as i was trying for a personal loan. Some agent from this bank asked me to open SB account and i opened it. And he said it is zero balance account and i dont need to maintain any balance in this account. But after this he din’t come back and i dint take any loan also. But after some days when i checked my account balance it is showing negative balance.

    Recently i have got a call from some representative of Kotak Bank and they said my account is having negative balance and are asking me to deposit some 15000/- as the minimum balance to be maintained in that account was 10,000 and from the remaining 5000 they have to deduct 4000(appro) negative balance. If i deposit this whole amount within this 31st of Jan then they said they will waive off all the maintainance charges(negative balance of 4000 change). But when i asked her to send some confirmation about this she said only for this branch we have this offer but not to any other branch. Without getting any confirmation how can i beleive them and deposit the money. Do really banks will have those kind of policies or simply to get the maintainance charges they will be telling this.

    Please suggest..


    • Pushpa

      First point is that other than SALARY ACCOUNTs , there is no option of ZERO balance . so agent lied to you . There is always some minimum balance in your account ..

      Banks generally waive off the penalities by giving one chance to customers .. go to branch and confirm this once and then take action


  43. sunita kulkarni

    Acknowledgement Mail from RBI, Maintainable Complaint NO. is 201112002002138
    but not received any reply. sbi credit card gurgaon harrashing us like any thing through mails calls and messages. sir kindly do needfull. other wise no way before us accept poision.

    sunita kulkarni

  44. bharani

    Hi manish,

    I opened a ICICI demat account 2 years ago. Since it was a corporate account they have it free. Only charged for Re.1 just for the sake of it. After months of waiting I did not get the trading user id and password mailer to home from them. When enquired in person I found that the post had returned back to them since no on was present in my home at the time the courier was delivered. I tried to get that consigntment back but did not. They I got fedup with the service and opened a new demat with Sharekhan. Now after 2 years they keep sending post to pay the outstanding amount annual maintenance charge of 500 rs per year and now I see they are demanding for 1500 rs for an account which i have never logged in, since i dont have the userid and pwd with me.

    Is this fair? Am I to be blamed for not receiving the post? how can they activate the account and charge me money without any intimation..I am afraid whether my CIBIL score may get impacted due to this.

    Please help.

    thanks and regards

    • Bharani

      SO you knew that the demat account was opened on your name and ICICI had sent it to you, but you were not at home .. Now the account is still active and the charges have accumulated.

      This should not impact your CIBIL score as of now because these things are not counted as of now , but I would recommend clear this mess as its a small amount as of now , you never know if these things will be counted later.


      • Bharani

        Thanks for the reply Manish. I was under the impression that the account will get activated only after logging in using the details. what you said makes sense.. the account is still active.. irrespective of am doing any transaction.. As you said, I will clear this mess now.. thanks again.

  45. Seetha Padmanabhan


    I’m from Chennai. We have a home loan from Standard Chartered Bank and as you know they are charging the highest interest rate in the market. We are eligible to pay 25 % of principal outstanding every year without any pre-payment charges. Last month Jan’12 we made a payment of Rs.1,00,000 and the bank representative said we could pay only 25% (which comes around Rs.94,000) and the rest will have penalty of 2.76%. We accepted it and made the payment. But we were shocked to see the statement from them whereby they had charged us Rs.2678 for the entire Rs.1 lac we paid as the part-payment penalty. We shouted at them telling that they are trying to cheat the customers and now we are in mental agony because of them . We want to make a complaint of it to the BO. Could you please advise on it??…Thanks.


  46. Dear Sir,

    How can passable… Not satisfy your mailing result…..

    This matter on 10/12/10 Axis bank ATM. swipe our card and enter the pin number but Axis bank ATM system given to answer Please enter the your pin number again type our pin number on keyboard but system hanging and cancel but deduct 10000/- amount in my HDFC A/C.

    But not received the 10000/- amount of Axis bank ATM.
    I don’t know anything (revert my money)……

    (This is my account detail Card No 5264190117866516 and HDFC A/C No. 00111000151178).

    Birendra Kumar

  47. ajay kumar singh

    Dear Mr Manish Chauhan,



  48. Ganesh Narayanan

    Hi Manish,

    I am from Chennai. I lodge a comliant against SBI with BO. My case got registered and recvd the RBI complaint No. How do I track the status of this complaint. Is there any URL to track the status or do I need to followup with OB or SBI to retrieve my lost Money. Appreciate your quick help.

  49. Nitin

    Hi Manish,
    Few months back, i have given the check if IDBI bank, Bhopal branch, to open the Demat account. The check was of 10000/- and there was about 12000/- in the account at the time the check was deposit. It was dishonored by the bank by saying the there are insufficient funds but it was not the case. The check was submitted to the Nagpur branch and it was the mistake of the Nagpur branch as admitted by the assistant branch manager in Bhopal (my home branch). After saying again and again to the home branch, I have not received the money back. Only I am getting the words that they have asked the Nagpur branch to give back my money. The amount is though very less of 233/- but the way i am treated for my money, is really very bad. Just to add that the amount was charged in the month of August. So please suggest me how should I proceed or my case is not at all eligible for logging the case. I have the bank statement which shows the deduction.

  50. babulal jatav

    sir my name babulal, i have wdl 2500 twentifive thousand from my a/c on dated 03/03/2012 fromBagwai KO center. it was deducted from my a/c but it,s not show in record of K O OPERATOR , BAGWAI. so they had not pay my money . i have complant of this matter to branch manager , SBI Bhiter ; Gwalior but no proper justification given by him to me .my CIF no . is 86241924360.SIR PLZ TELL ME WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MY MONEY.THANKS.MY MOB NO IS 8889646100

  51. P.S.R.SWAMI

    I am a senior citizen aged about 66 years. I made a complaint to BO, Hyderabad against Andhar Bank, Banjara Hills Br.Road No.1, Banjara Hills Branch, Hyderabad 500 034 since the Bank debited my account twice for each of the withdrawals of Rs.10,000/- through ATM of different Banks (SBI and Axis Bank). The transactions pertain to August 2009 one and Sept.2009 two. I never doubted the entries in the pass book and did not check them till a withdrawal of Rs.3,000/- through ATM on 4-04-2011 was debited twice. On my complaint the amount of Rs.3,000/- which was wrongly debited to my account was credited to my account on 21-05-2011 but the Bank did not pay the penalty for delayed credit. On occurrence of this I verified my account and found the double debit in my account on three dates for withdrawal of Rs.10,000/- on 9-08-2009 debited twice on 10-08-2009, for a withdrawal of Rs.10,000/- on 20-09-2009 debited twice on 21-09-2009 and another withdrawal of Rs.10,000/- on 21-09-2009 debited twice on 21-09-2009. When I was issued the ATM card in May 2009 I was informed that the daily withdrawal limit was Rs.10,000/- and I never drew more than this any time till March 21-03-2011 on which date the when I inquired the Bank informed that the limit of withdrawal was raised and on this date I withdrew Rs.10,000+5,000.On my complaint in 2011 about these transactions the bank informed that the SBI and Axis Banks informed that the transactions were claimed as successful under NFS. On my complaint in August 2011 (thereafter I left for abroad and returned in Feb 2012) the BO, Hyderabad informed that since my complaint warrants consideration of elaborate documentary and technical evidence the complaint is closed under clause 13(c). Now I intend to appeal to the Dy.Governor, RBI.

  52. Munis Gupta

    Dear Sir,
    I am working with Indianoil Corporation Ltd a Maharatna Company and currently posted at Patiala. I have an account in ICICI bank vide account number 004601031068 at Ajit Nagar Branch, Patiala and have this account since 11 years. I had applied for hosing loan of amount Rs. 25 lacs in mid of Jan-12 to Sh. Abdul recommended by my privilege bank official Sh. Batish. He checked all my documents and confirmed me that you loan will be sanctioned with in 10-15 days. I informed Mr. Abdul that I have registry date on 15.03.2012 so kindly complete all formalities as soon as possible and my loan must be sanctioned latest by 15.03.2012.
    But after one month no response came from your bank side and neither Mr. Abdul was responding to my phones. I informed Mr. Batish who had recommended that Mr Abdul is not responding to my phones neither have i got any feedback from ICICI bank. He again ensured me that your loan will be approved very soon. I reminded him that I have to make registry on 15.03.2012. On 24 Feb after one month of applying loan I got SMS from your bank that “ amount of Rs. 13788 is debited from your account vide cheque no-7732”. No written communication was sent by icici bank. I contacted Mr. Abdul that what is progress of loan and I again reminded him that I have to make registry on 15.03.2012 so kindly do needful. He again ensured me that bank has sanctioned your loan. So bank has charged processing fees after one month of applying loan in spite of claiming that loan can be issued within 10 days.. On 06.03.2012 I got a telephonic message from Mr. Abdul that you loan is not sanctioned. I asked what the reason is. He said land verification team has raised some objections. He also informed me that they generally want their visiting fees to clear the loan. I asked him why I pay money to them if everything is OK and same has been informed by you. I have given all documents to you and you have verified each and every thing now at this moment you are saying bank has raised objections. Then what you people was doing from last two months. You very well know that I have to make a registry on 15.03.2012 and there is no more time to raise funds. I contacted Branch Manager Mr. Virdi, he also not helped me in fact he is also part of nexus which are involved in malpractices.
    Dear sir, I have applied for loan for built house in ICICI bank in mid of January-12 and gave all documents required by ICICI bank, bank employee has also visited the house and all documents were with them. They have verified it and ensured me that your loan will be sanctioned. Then why they took two months to take decision for loan. Mr. Abdul and other bank employee very well knew that I have to make registry on 15.03.2012 and they have deliberately lingered on the process of loan for long period and makes false promises so that I could not have time to apply loan from other bank and they will take advantage the situation and charge money as they want from me to sanctioned loan. This is what happening in ICICI braches at ground level for genuine customers who have paying capacity to pay loan. At ground level there is nexus between ICICI bank employee and third party who is deputed to verify the land and they are deliberately create situation in which customer could not have other choice but to bribe them as they want. Third party bank have hired for land verification is not paying adequate salaries to their employees and forcing them to involve in malpractices. Even they have shallow knowledge and they are not qualified. Since they are representing ICICI bank hence ultimately they are ruining the name of Bank. ICICI bank has not sent any communication regarding loan proceeding TILL DATE. Branch Manager and their friends sitting in bank office also misbehaved with me and my wife. Is this way of ICICI working?
    I have some queries from your bank.
    1. What is minimum time to clear loan.
    2. Why ICICI bank has not sent any written communications to me for sanctioning or not sanctioning loan.
    3. Is Mr. Abdul who is sitting in ICICI bank recommended by Sh. Batish is authorized person form your bank to sanctioned the housing loan. What are his duties and responsibilities?
    4. Do ICICI bank communicate in written to customers regarding loan proceedings.
    5. Send me all proceeding in chronological orders regarding my housing loan proceedings.
    6. Send me the list of responsible persons who deliberately delayed my loan and involved in malpractices.
    7. What action will ICICI bank take against them. Send me copy.

  53. nitin mittal

    Subject:-Complaint against Axis Bank, Asset Sales Centre, Ghaziabad for wrongfully charging 4.25 lacs to my home loan account NO. PHR063600379939C
    Dear Sir,

    I want to submit before you that I applied for a home loan to Axis Bank, Ghaziabad Branch considering good interest rates and transparency. The property was Amrapali Heart Beat City-I, Sector-107, Noida and I was sanctioned a loan of Rs 45 lacs. In this duration 100s of papers were signed by me telling me that these are all formalities and are needed.

    However when the first disbursement was made then I came to know that the total sanctioned amount is Rs. 49.25 lacs. When I enquired I was told that the balance 4.25 lacs is the amount of insurance policy that the bank has paid to the Max New York company for a full cover of 49 lacs for me and my wife for a full tenure of 25 years in single shot.
    This was never told to me clearly and I cannot bear such a loss. The purpose of bank was to earn unlawful commission from insurance agency at our cost. Also the cost of insurance is much higher than the prevailing market rates. I and my family feels cheated by this unscrupulous activity and seek you help to save our hard earned money.
    As nobody in the bank replies properly and only assures that the insurance will be returned if loan is prepaid . this is only a way of fooling customers. The bank has not only disbursed 4.25 wrongly but also charging interest on the same.

    It is, therefore, requested kindly do something in this matter so that my loan amount is reduced back to 45 lakhs. Also please the interest charged on this insurance amount should also be waived off.
    Looking forward to your help
    With warm regards

    • Nitin

      This is really a cheating .. I am sure they asked you to sign the documents and those insurance papers were in middle of it .. Kindly make sure that when you sign the papers , you read it fully !

      • Jatin Kacha

        Yes, exactly.

        We should be very carefully read all document while signing all loan papers.
        I was also thinking to get 25 L. load from the same bank. This issue now make me to hesitate and opens the eye how banks cheat customer..!

        I am thinking of to go for Tata Finance, Manish, is that ok to go with Tata Finance. Do you have any review on that..?

  54. Muthu Krishnan V

    This is standard cheating practiced by many banks. When I transferred my home loan to IDBI, the bank guy tried to add the insurance amount under the carpet saying that it is compulsory etc otherwise we will not sanction loan. I asked him to show the clause in the agreement where it says so. He could not show that. he said that we cannot sanction loan. I told him I do not need the loan. After couple of days, he called back and said that they will give loan without insurance. I took it and then closed it within a couple of years.

    Banks want to get commission out of this but probably 3 – 4 years EMI just goes off paying off the insurance amount only. My friend was also trapped similarly in ICICI and he did not even know that he need not take the insurance :(

    • Thanks for sharing your experience and what you did. I think they just take customers for granted and they feel that people will fall for what ever they demand just because they feel they are too needy


  55. namrata maurya

    my credit cards due date always comes on 9th of every month, this is the matter of August2011, As usual my due was on 9th of August and due amt was Rs 10,499, which I paid by IDBI bank cheque no 140123 On the date of 06.08.2011 at Vile Parle West ATM, Opp. Station., but when I came to know that cheque have not presented in bank I enquired it at my bank as well as HDFC credit card department, they said that they have not received cheque yet and advice me to wait for some day, but after 3-4 days again I enquired in my bank about the cheque but they said that cheque have not come in the bank for clearing, then again I called in HDFC credit card department and asked them about the status, Again they told me that they have no record about that, then I asked them that if I pay it by Other mode, will you deposit the cheque, if you find that later, and they assured me that if I paid it by other mode such as ATM transfer or by cash they will never deposit cheque as they will confirm the payment dues status before depositing any cheque, after this assurance I did ATM transfer on the Date of 16.08.2011 from HDFC ATM. after all this happened on 19th of August HDFC credit card department has deposited the cheque in my account in spite of payment made by me and cleared all my dues upto 09th August 2011, and their assurance, the cheque returned unpaid due to short by some amount which I kept for some other purpose, after all these I contacted to HDFC credit card department and asked them about all these but they didn’t have any reply, instead of apolizing, they sent me statement and levied late fee charges and other charges on me, since then they are harassing me, I am asking them to refund my 250 Rs. charged by my bank and reverse all charges as all mistake done by them but they are not ready to do so, and on the date of 22nd October 2011 they crossed their all limit by sending two people at my home, I was not there as I am working person, they started to abuse my mother and sister badly in front of people even they called me on my cell number and started to abuse me also I continuously requested them to please talk like a gentlemen but they didn’t listen me, even I recorded that conversation, I wants to know is this the way to behave with client? Is this right way? Has they have right to use this kind of third degree and vulgar language? Is government and RBI has given them right and power to abuse client in front of society and people? Please answer me.
    After all this, I again contacted to HDFC authority and explained them all but they were not ready to accept that, then I sent them CD of that recording but after that also they did nothing and continuously harassing me by calling again and again , by legal notice by sending people and by misguiding me.

    when I demanded for compensation they had refunded this amount, and after receiving my compensation demanding letter Mr. Savio Fernandes had called up me and had argued with me that “whatever the things have been happened with me and my family that comes in banks rule, and there is nothing happened against banks rules, the persons visited at my residence, abused my mother and my younger sister in my society, the persons who called me on phone and thwarted me, they has rights from bank, the bank will not give any compensation for this, is this right sir??? Whatever Mr. Savio Fernandes has said, is true??? Even I ask him to give me in written mail; whatever you said then he denied it completely. Since August I have never refute to make payment, I know I am holding credit card which is nothing but bank money, for which I have to repay every month as I done before august, but now not on cost of my respect and family respect, When it is clearly mentioned in RBI Regulation Norms that:
    Banks /NBFCs / their agents should not resort to intimidation or harassment of any kind, either verbal or physical, against any person in their debt collection efforts, including acts intended to humiliate publicly or intrude the privacy of the credit card holders’ family members, referees and friends, making threatening and anonymous calls or making false and misleading representations.
    f. If a complainant does not get satisfactory response from the bank/NBFC which is a subsidiary of a bank within a maximum period of thirty (30) days from the date of his lodging the complaint, he will have the option to approach the Office of the concerned Banking Ombudsman for redressal of his grievance/s. The bank/NBFC which is a subsidiary of a bank shall be liable to compensate the complainant for the loss of his time, expenses, financial loss as well as for the harassment and mental anguish suffered by him for the fault of the bank and where the grievance has not been redressed in time.
    Reserve Bank of India reserves the right to impose any penalty on a bank/NBFC under the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949/the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934, respectively for violation of any of these guidelines.

    my this case not get solved till the date, when you are saying this much good for this, then why not my case solved till the date…………..
    kindly reply friends……………

    • namrata

      Did you file your case against them in banking ombudsman ? I am sure you will get compensation , it will take some time , but what happened from bank side is not acceptable .


  56. namrata maurya

    since august i am fighting for this and pathetic thing is now no one replying of my any letters the hdfc banks and ombudsman also……………… how much time??????? u know, they made new rule of cibil report by which you can not apply for any other facilities m i right??????? what should i do?????????

  57. rahul kumar

    i have taken a laon againt my pension of Rs. 60000 on 17/01/2009.
    my monthly instalments is of Rs 3100 and they all are deducted regularly with interest.
    the last instalment is deducted of Rs 3100 with interst on 01/10/2010.
    after this i start getting my full pension without any further dedution.
    but on 01/06/2011 the another amount of Rs 3100 is again dedcted with interest.
    the bank acess my account money without prior permission and secondly thts the main reson that why the bank dont deduct this last installment on time.
    one more thing i want to raise is that the bank employyes visit my home and they sign application regarding that we r satisfied with that problem .
    the manger also refuse to give me the loan agrement papers that i need to see what is the rate of interst and how many instalments is to be paid to bank.
    the manger of the bank dont talk me well he is just challnging that u can file the case in court and also asked to give me the signed application which is signed wrongly by my mother . my mother is a illlittrate

    the manger also said that why u taken this loan.
    what i have to next, is their any action on the bank or wts the next step shuuld i have to take i already file the companied on rbi bo on 31 march. how much time it take to resolve this

  58. Esther

    I hv housing loan in Allahabad bank , but my salary a/c. is in SBI hence i requested Allahabad bank for payment through ECS from SBI, for this at-least four – five times i went Allahabad bank but not guided properly. I am old lady and in health condition I can’t move properly.

    Pl guide me to whom I hv to approach.

    • Thats really bad … Didnt they take any post dated cheque’s for EMI payment ? What you should do it complain to Banking Ombudsman on this , you should mail the bank along with CC to banking ombudsman

  59. singh raju

    dear sir

    i sent my complaint by post to banking ombudsman,after one month i got acknowledgement and c no 3038 but after few day ob sent your complaint was closed then after i asked why close my case so she sent one attachment this is bank sending false document after that i sent mail and inform her this is false roll play by bank
    so she said your case was closed
    pls help me

  60. Umesh Bhuptani


    I am holding current account in Standard Chartered from last 25 years, would like to know if Bank has kept our cheque for 20 days without depositing same to our account and while asking came to know account was freeze due to non compliance of KYC, but No notice or intimation given to us for same and KYC formality was under process and all of sudden can bank Freeze account like this? Now Bank is not replying properly for this matter , verbally says sorry… what we can do against them? Please comment thanks..Umesh

  61. Umesh Bhuptani

    Thanks Manishji, RBI guideline is favoring me and bank has taken wrong action this is what I found out and bank just says Apology only

    nothing more
    lets see if some one else can reply
    thanks any way

    • Haneefa

      Dear .Manish
      My son went to canara bank ATM to withdraw 5000 RS using my CB debit card on 10th may 112.
      But he didn’t receive money from ATM, I got a transaction massage my mobile
      And the amount was deducted from account ,then I sent complaint to Branch manager
      Till no any reply and the amount not credit to my account .
      So plz I need your help to resolve the issue

      • Follow up with bank and Banking ombudsman , you are liable to get Rs 100 per day as penalty on this . Dont worry .. You just need to pursue it and you will get the money with penality !

  62. arun

    hi manish ,

    i lost around rs 60,000/-(during july 2011) in 15 fraud atm withdrawls from diff bank atms in mumbai n hyderabad within 2 days before i could block the card . the atm card was allways in my possession. i had complained to the mumbai cyber crime branch, my sbi branch and chief general manager sbi but til date there is no prog. pl tell me wat to do now. thanks.



  63. Ravi Shankar

    Someone has applied HSBC Bank credit card on behalf of my PAN card without my knowledge. as well as HSBC bank has issued that card without verification and personal enqury. Even the personal detail/ information (mother name, address etc) in HSBC credit card does not match with me except date of birth. As I have applied for home loan then got that CIBIl is showing due of Rs. more then 1 lac. against my name. And my home loan got stucked at bank. HSBC Bank has transferred credit card portfolio to JM Financial. Then I made a call to JM financial office. They are saying that you need to pay principal amount (which is more then 14k) to settle this HSBC credit card due amount. Due to this fraud HSBC Credit card my rating is quit less in CIBIL record. Please suggest what should I do..legal step or ….

    • Ravi

      This is a fraud case , You should file a complaint with HSBC and also report it to banking ombudsman after you are dis-satisfied with the Bank , I am sure bank has not done its work properly . This should surely not let you get any loan . Do something about this

  64. Ravi Shankar

    Hi Manish,
    thanks for quick reply!! really appricate…

    I could not understand the process of online complaint to banking ombudsman.

    Really thankful to you.


    Hi Manish
    Pls help me in one matter, i have applied for CAR LOAN DSA of HDFC Bank in Karnal, Haryana in Nov 2011. Bank concern person told me all formalities for DSA. I have submit document. After some days bank have said for open current account in bank branch and also said for service tax regstration no, address stamp, proprietor stamp. I have opened a current a/c in branch and also taken service tax no on 07/12/2011. This is the mutual approval of DSA. During this bank FI for office nd Shop done, CIBIl Check and all internal formalities whatever done by bank. I again nd again go to bank but no reply for DSA confirmation given by bank, daily some accusse, concern person not on seat, wait for 2 days, one week, etc. In first week of May bank denied to give DSA becoz of CIBIL Status( Credit Card settlement in my account only RS 9000/-), I have give time for 7 month for DSA, In one shot bank cancelled my application. I have only want to know if CIBIL is neccessary formalities for DSA, than why bank not checked it before all procedure, in six month, i have paid rent, electricity bill, my hrdwork, my time. Bank have wasted it. Now its very difficult to surrender Service Tax, Total expenses on Letterpad, Sign Board, Service Tax all waste near about loss of 50000/- and six month. May i want to know can i submit a complaint in Banking Ombudsman. Pls help. i m very harrassed due to bank. Its not waste my 7 month but also stand a question mark on my future.

    • the simple answer to this is see where bank has not followed terms and condition, if they have done anything out side of agreement , then you can contact banking ombudsman and file a case in consumer court

  66. Dr Sanjay Borse

    I am having a SB AC with Axis Bank, wanwadi, Pune Branch (AC No. 110010100374095). I applied for home loan for construction of my house and a rep of the bank came to my res for collection of all the documents. He got all the relevant documents and also achaqueof Rs 5600 as processing fees. He checked all these documents and was satisfied since whatever documents he asked were in place. He promised me that the loan will be sanctioned within a week. After about 10 days he asked few more documents which were given to him. After 10 days he gives me a letter of sanction of the loan. Then after 15 days he calls me and says that the loan can not be given without mentioning any reason. I insisted to give the reason. He says reason can not be given, the loan is not doable. I am an Army Officer drawing a decent pension and also is employed as General Manager in a big Company after my voluntary retirement. I am very much in aposition to repay the loan without any hassle. However all my plans of finance for construction of my house have gone for a six due to non disbursement of the loan and I had to take a pvt loan at a higher rate of interest. Secondly the loan is not disbursed after its sanction for no fault of mine. Now they are also not refunding my processing fees of Rs 5600. I have suffered lot of mental agony in addition to the financial losses due to the nondisbursement of my loan for which I am very much eligible. Now I demand refund of my processing fees and also compensation of Rs 50000/- for all the mental agony and the financial losses I suffered due to this.

    • Let me put some points

      1. Did you have any loan in past ? I mean do you have any credit history , there is something called a “Credit report” and “Credit Score” now a days in India which is first looked upon and if you do not have any past history of repayment at this stage OR some bad history , then it will be rejected

      2. The other reason can be because you do not have any ACTIVE income , its a pension and not sure if they would like to entertain you at this stage of life

      3. Did you ask them that the processing fees is refundable or not even if the loan application is rejected, did you sign any papers etc ?

      If you are dissatisfied , then first check with the bank about this and then file a case with consumer court or banking ombudsman . If your case is genuine , you will get the justice , but a little delayed .

      • Dr Sanjay Borse

        Dear Manish, I have paid all my installments of HDFC loan in time without fail and the loan is cleared in the year 2009 only. I have a very good credit rating as far as I know. Secondly in addition to the pension I am also drawing a regular salary since I am working as GM in a reputed Company. I am not a regular retiree from Army It was a Voluntary retirement at the age of 46. My another car loan from Axis bank will be finishing in Oct 2012, I am paying its EMI very regularly and it is nominal ie Rs 7615 only.

        • In that case its very strange to hear that they have not issued you a loan . Did you apply for your CIBIL score and report . Have a look at it first . I am sure there is some issue with your report . May be your loan has a remark like SETTLED or WRITTEN OFF


    The Oficer-in-Charge
    Grievance Cell of RBI

    Sujit Kumar Modak



    With due respect, I want to state that, I am a pensioner of West Bengal Govt. and my pension Acct.(Acct No. 0330010219686) is with United Bank Of India, which is located in Chapra, PO- Bangaljhi, Dist-Nadia, WB,

    On 05 Jun 2012 when I enquired, I came to know that, Rs. 14500/- have been credited in my account as pension, but, Rs. 147/- have been deducted by Bank as their surcharge. Query from Asst. Treasury Officer of my Pension Disbursing Office revealed that, surcharge should not be charged on pensionary benefits.

    I have informed the above mentioned fact to Branch Manager, but he declined to accept my written application and take action against my complaint.

    I request you to look into the matter and direct the concerned office for quick disposal of my complaint.

    Thanking you.—–

    Sujit Kumar Modak
    Vill- Chapra(R.B.Road)
    PO- Bangaljhi
    Dist- Nadia (WB)

    UBI Acct No.0330010219686

  68. Dhruv Aggarwal

    I had cleared my personal loan 6 years back which was in my mothers name and ICICI bank wrongly fileda case after that 2 times which i won. Now from some days again my family is receiving an unwanted calls from ICICI bank. The person name is kapil yadav and his number 8745973133. He is abusing my mother and my sister badly and calling again and again and harassing us. I have switched off my number on which i am receiving calls. last call i received is on 19th June at 11:00 AM on my sisters mob number. Request you to take strict action against these morons.

  69. Shaukat Siddiquei

    Today on 20th jun 2012 i called up my banker ICIC Bank at their customer care number 9831378000 to have a query regarding my bank account i am holding since last 9 years. The query was addressed by the phone banking officer Mr Ajay Nagreddy, when my query got over i was about to disconnect the phone, before i could do so there was a question from the above mentioned officer whether I use internet banking ? I said no i have never used it neither i wish to use as its not safe. He tried to convince me that its safe and started telling me the procedures for operating the internet banking and provided me with the User ID…. for the same. The conversation started with him at 4.58 pm and ended after 15 minutes 10 seconds. At 5.22 pm I got an SMS Alert from ICICI Bank which says “We have recorded wrong attempt for resetting of your net banking password. If you did not try to reset the password, please contact customer care immediately”. After seeing the message i got stunt that how is it possible as i did not try to reset ever because i was driving after the conversation got over with him. Immediately i called up the customer care again and reported the message alert to them. I was surprised to note that the girl called Ms G. Bhawani was unable to explain and indirectly accepting the wrong thing done by her colleague Mr Ajay Nagreddy who had provided the User ID. Finally when she was unable to explain, she put me on hold and made me talk to her Supervisor Mr David Raj, he too also apologized but could not give any logical and convincing answer. I CAME TO A CONCLUSION THAT IT WAS MR. AJAY NAG REDDY ONLY WHO PROVIDED ME THE USER ID AND BEFORE I COULD RESET MY PASSWORD, HE HIMSELF TRIED TO RESET IT WITH A FRAUDALENT MINDSET. How can we trust these financial institutions where fraudalent mindset employees are working ????

  70. Gurmeet


    My name is Gurmeet. Bank Ombudsman does not work. Last one month before i had submitted a online complaint but i got only one reply that your complaint has been forwarded to the bank after receiving the reply they can take further action. But after that i not received any messages by Bank Ombudsman.

    So i request to all of you please do not forward your complaint to banking ombudsman as it is wastage of time nothing else.

  71. Jasvir Singh Negi

    Banking Ombudsman
    C/o Reserve Bank of India
    M.G. Road, Post Box No.82
    Kanpur-208 001
    UP & Uttarakhand Zone


    Respected Sir ,
    It is bringing to you kind notice that I Jasvir Singh Negi serving in Elite paramilitary force Border Security Force at Jammu and maintaining a salary account bearing No.10438616224 in SBI ADB Padampur Sukhroo (Branch IFSC CODE 5848) , Kotdwara.I had applied two times i.e on dated oct’2011 and March’2012 for conversion of my salary account into PMSP account with all necessary documents, but in response neither my account is converted nor any intimation is given to me from your kind office. On scrutiny of the A/C summary of my account, it has been observed that the auto credit sweep facility has not yet been activated in my account which should be automatically activated as with the conversion of my account into PMSP package and in addition to all this not issued Silver ATM Card and Multi city cheque book to me. Consequently I am bearing the loss of interest which I would get during auto credit sweep over my balance amount .
    Regarding in this issue I post a registered letter to branch Manager ADB Padampur sukhroo, Kotdwara on 09 June 2012 but till date the status of my saving account is same and yet not converted to PMSP
    It is therefore requested to your kind branch please provide me all facilities related with the PMSP account and intimate me as soon as possible so that I can avail the benefits of PMSP account.

    A/C NO-10438616224

    • @ Jasvir Singh Negi and other readers

      Please avoid publishing your Confidential / Private information on Public forums like here as it may get misused by fraudsters.

      Regarding your complaint to RBI BO have you got a resolution or still awaiting resolution.? You can file the complaint online on RBI’s Banking Ombudsman website.

  72. Way back in 2007 RBI’s Banking Ombudsman helped me in getting Internet Banking facility at State Bank of India branch at my hometown. My complaint was forwarded to SBI Regional Offices and they action-ed upon my request within in a week’s time.

    Recently RBS Bank have arbitrarily closed my Credit Card and I have raised complaint to Ombudsman as Escalation matrix of RBS failed to address my complaint in past 2 months. RBI BO forwarded the complaint to RBS Bank; RBS sent me a Standard Reply which I am not satisfied with. I have again written to RBS with a copy to RBI.

    Hope a resolution soon! What more options do I have?

      • I had a long standing relationship with RBS Bank and erstwhile ABN Amro Bank. But, in recent times they have acting strange firstly they reduced Credit Limit to mere Rs. 1500/- and than closed my Credit Card (for non usage of card without) any prior intimation.

        When I objected and complained to RBI BO; they are quoting Clause 6(b) of Card Members’ Agreement which states “The Bank may terminate the Credit Card facility immediately at any time at its discretion or at any time restrict the use without assigning reason or cause and without any notice thereto. ”

        This clause gives discretionary powers to the bank and I believe this is a “One Sided Clause” Infact most of the Credit Card Issuers have similar clause? I hope RBI would surely take some action on it.

        • I dont think RBI will do anything about it . Credit card is a benefit or a service they are offering you . NOTE the word “offer” , they can withdraw it anytime as per their policies. If its in contract and you signed it , means you accepted it, legally you can not go against it !

          • Manish,

            I so happy to tell you that my RBS Credit card have been reinstated after 4 months of follow up with RBS Bank. Infact, in all their correspondence they had refused for reinstatement of Credit Card by citing “One Sided Clauses” of Card Members’ Agreement.

            As I mentioned in my earlier comments that I had complained to RBI Banking Ombudsman, New Delhi; they have positively responded to my complaint by advising the bank to reinstate my card.

            Thanks to office of RBI Banking Ombudsman I finally have received the reissued card :)

  73. Jayanta Sukul

    I have taken a Home loan Of 3.75 lacs from SBI (Barrackpore railway Brunch )
    In the year 2005 and repaid it in the year 2012 and recieved the NOC from the bank. But Now The Bank is unable to return my Property paper and house deed.
    They are giving dates after dates , So I am in a great trouble Please Help me and guide me what shall I do now?

  74. prashant

    hi manish
    on my brother’s account at canara bank there was a LOCKER taken.He made his wife as joint account holder and with attorney.
    now when she took locker keys to her home without informing we gave the manager an application that in case locker is secretly opend plz inform us.
    but after few days the lady mailed him(to manager) some application/or anything on his email.
    when my brother n mother went to operate he stopped us.. and shouted at us in front of everyone as if we are thieves(account is in name of my brothr).

    manager is even not ready to show that email or copy of the same.
    neither did he informed any of the 3 phone numbers given in application by us previously (he assured us to do the same).

    he yelled us out of bank(account is 12 year old in same branch) saying that he will FREEZE LOCKER.

    my brother the rightful owner wants to open his own account having keys to the locker yet not allowed..

    please guide of procedure…
    and will banking ombudsman help me in this scenario.


  75. sekar

    sir im having mortage home loan in GE MONEY FINANCIAL SERVICES COIMBATORE before i pre closed my loan entirely as per their norms then i ask my collateral security of my home document(worth about RS 70000000) @the time closing loans .after 25 days now they saying there is no such documents they are refusing to giving me. loan amount is(rs 6500000)pls advice me how i get document THANK U

  76. Jose

    I requested Bank of Maharashtra to takeover my housing loan from HDFC and also to grant me a renovation loan for my house in 2005. I applied for two different loans and bank sanctioned the loan (Total loan amount Rs 6,50,000). In their sanction letter also they clearly mentioned that I will be paying two different EMI’s of Rs 4100 for 20 years and Rs 3000 for 7 years.

    Now after the completion of 7 years, the bank is still deducting Rs 7000 from my account. When inquired, the manager replied stating that the bank has merged the two loans since start and now I have to pay Rs 7000 for 20 years. Is it possible to unilaterally merge the loans?


    Hi, Manish
    Thanks for the blog. I need some clarification. I have saving account in SBI and got issued a cheque book and very same day before getting cheque book, was in que to withdraw money, but they declined to give money on counter through withdrawl form. Here i have following queries.
    1. Is it not possible to have cheque book as well withdraw money from counter using withdrawl form?
    2. That day bank employee misbehaved and because of the incident my mother who is very old and suffered a lot as she is going through treatment of ailment. But there documentry evidence so how can i complain and where?
    3. Is it not necessary to have a complain book at every branch, if yes they told no its not a rule and didnot provide the same where i can i get the prescribed rule?
    4. The bank manager denied to accept written complaint so where i have to approach?
    waiting for your reply asap

    thanks a lot

  78. Thomas

    Hi Manish
    I try to open joint account in SBI, I take filled form and Telephone Bill in my name , my Pan Card, and my Letter from employer for my wife for address proof, Id card but they are not accept this, I don’t know, the staff ask me another form for my wife,
    Dear can you please explain how I open joint account in SBI

  79. singh raju

    dear sir

    i send bo judgement copy then after you say whats i do
    Saldanha, Sandra S Jul 23
    to manager.cgrc.l., me
    BO (H) /SS/ /C.No.5050/ 2012-13 July 23, 2012
    Shri Singh Raju Complainant
    State Bank of India Respondent Bank
    Shri Singh Raju
    [email protected]
    The Branch Manager
    State Bank of India
    Srikakulam Branch
    Dear Sir,
    Complaint No.20111200905050-regarding misappropriation of funds from the account
    Please refer to your complaint received by this Office on June 23, 2012 against State Bank of India,
    Srikakulam branch on the captioned subject.
    The complainant had earlier lodged a complaint with is Office which was registered as complainant
    No.201112009003038 alleging misappropriation of Rs.7.45 lakhs from his account. On taking up the
    complaint with the bank, the bank submitted their version dated 18/2/2012 representing that they had
    provided all details to the complainant and he was fully satisfied with their explanation. They also
    submitted a satisfaction letter by the complainant dated 24/1/2012 prior to the date of the complaint.
    However, on the basis of the bank’s representation the complaint was closed as dealt with.
    The complainant again represented to the Forum that his grievance had not been redressed by the bank.
    Hence, the present complaint was registered and both parties were given a personal hearing.
    On the basis of the material submitted by the parties, it is observed that out of the Home Loan of
    Rs.16.00 lakhs sanctioned to the complainant by the bank, an amount of Rs.7.45 lakhs was transferred
    to his savings bank account on 17/12/2009. The complainant sought to withdraw this amount using a
    withdrawal slip. However, the amount was not paid to him in cash . It was instead transferred under the
    signature of their branch official to three accounts with the same branch. The details are provided in the
    complainant’s letter dated 18/7/2012 submitted to this Forum today. The credit vouchers do not bear
    the signatures of the complainant. The complainant alleged that the amount was forceably taken from
    him as commission for sanction of the loan. He submitted that one of the beneficiaries of the funds
    transferred from his account is the brother of the bank’s field officer.
    Considering the details of the complaint and the submission made by both parties we are compelled to
    take a serious note of the attempt of the branch to mislead this Forum through their version letter dated
    18/2/2012. The bank’s endeavour ought to be the facilitation of discovery of facts and resolution of the
    complainant’s grievance to the extent it stands substantiated.
    We note that although the disputed transactions pertains to the year 2009 it has been raised by the
    complainant only during 2012. The complainant has provided some oral explanations for the delay
    which is not taken on record. Nevertheless, the bank is advised to have the matter investigated by their
    Vigilance Department and take such action in the matter as deemed appropriate.
    The complainant alleged that the bank had initiated SARFAESI proceedings against him in order to
    victimise him. The complainant submitted that he would repay the entire loan of his own accord
    within one month and hence there is no need to appoint a recovery agent and pay their fees at the
    complainant’s cost. The bank is advised to examine this request of the complainant and convey their
    decision to the complainant in writing.
    The complaint is closed under Clause 13 ( C) of the Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 2006 as the matter
    requires detailed investigations beyond the scope of this Forum.
    Yours faithfully
    (Sandra Saldanha)
    p.Banking Ombudsman
    Encl:as above
    Sri V B Sriram
    Manager (customer Service)
    State Bank of India
    Dept of General Manager,(Network 2)
    V Floor,Koti

  80. Ravi Agarwal

    Could any bank can recover a personal loan from the gauranter where bank was not try to recover same from the first party from the last four year seriosely and after four or five year going to recover same from the gauranter without any notice kindly suggest me.

  81. singh raju

    i don’t want go with consumer forum because i am working in merchant navy so that means more then 9 month i am on board so how possible pursue with consumer forum if have other way so suggest me

  82. Amit Chawan

    Dear sir,

    From last 10 year,i have saving account in ICICI bank…My salary credited every month in that account from last 3 month from ANB Consulting pvt ltd company.

    On 7th aug 2012 my salary got credited Rs.44943/- on my saving account
    and Rs.44943/- debited on 8th aug 2012 on employer instruction..

    I given resigned on Dated 8th aug 2012 ,so as a revange ANB Consulting company given instruction to ICICI Andheri west branch to revert my salary and given reason to bank is “Amit chawan already resigned from company and by mistakely we credited his salary”.ICICI blindly trust on employer ANB Consulting company and deudct my salary Rs.44943/- from my saving account.

    On that deduction time no one call or confirmation ,i got from ICICI bank for cross verification..because of ICICI i am lossing Rs.44943/-
    and my employer (ANB Consulting pvt ltd) got advantages of that…

    i am expecting that ICICI should be call me or confirm with me before deducting that amount..so i can tell them truth..

    Now ICICI not taking responsibility..They simply say that i need to check with company HR.and my company HR is not ready to give me that salary as revange..

    No one can touch my saving account except me then how can ICICI revert that amount without intimation to me??? Then what type of security they have for customers like me ..

    Pls help sir and give me solution on this prb..

    Thanks & Regards
    Amit Chawan.

      • Amit Chawan

        Dear Manish sir,

        I Worked for that month (July 2012 ) and resigned on the next month dated 08 Aug 2012..and this salary is month for July 2012..Requested to you give me solution on this issue..

        Amit Chawan.

          • Amit Chawan

            Dear Manish sir,

            I was in probation period..i joined this company in April 2012 and given resigned on Aug 2012..i was not permanent yet..so no matter of serving notice period..and its banking basic rule is that once the amount come in saving account no one can withdraw the amount without that person consent..then how ICICI bank debited that amount without my consent?? and this salary is for july 2012 which i served..Reply pls sir with solution..

            Amit Chawan.

  83. Kavitha Ganesh

    Dear Sir,

    I had taken home loan from HDFC, submitted my mandate form duly verified by ICICI and given to HDFC agent in Dec 2011,with an assurance that the rest of the procedure will be taken care by them & came back to muscat. since Feb till May I am being fined,ECS MANDATE NOT RECEIVED FROM CUSTOMER. after many e-mail. I have gone through lot of mental pain, I need to know whose mistake is it?? Pls advice


    Meerut Cantt of SBI has lost my Title Deeds of my Property situated in Meerut U.P. The above Registry papers were given by me at the time of Home Loan taken by me in 1984. At present I am residing in Ghaziabad(U.P.) Can some body guide me whether I should approach Bkg Omb Kanpur or new delhi

  85. Sourabh Gulia

    Dear Sir,

    I have a very similar problem, i have searched everywhere on the Internet but still i am not able to find the place here i need to fill the online form to file a complaint.

    Please provide me the link to fill the form.

  86. Naresh P

    Dear Sir,

    Is there any timelimits for banks to reply to complaints? I sent a written complain on 26 July 2012 regarding my home loan and the manager just gave me the loan statement August last week. Unsatisfied with the response, I mailed to the Nodal officer for the region two days back, but yet to receive any acknowledgement.

    How much days should a customer wait before going to National head/ Banking ombudsman?

    Many Thanks in Advance.

            • Naresh P

              Dear Sir,

              After following up with the Nodal officer, I have received the below reply, Can you please help me with my queries,
              1) Is it possible for me to complain against the increased EMI and loan duration. What will be the procedure? Many thanks in advance.
              “We are in receipt of said complaint from said borrower & have noted the contents.

              It is reported that he was sanctioned Rs.4.36 lacs housing loan by take over from IDBI bank repayable in 240 months @ 4100/- pm..

              Further he was granted loan of Rs.2.14 lacs for repairs & renovation repayable in 84 months @ 3000/- pm.

              Thus as per sanction, the borrower was to pay Rs.4100/-for 240 months and Rs.3000/ for 84 months House repair loan ie.Rs7100/- for 84 months & Rs.4100/- for remaining period.

              He has complained that even after 84 months of regular repayment, Rs7000/- are being recovered from his account instead of Rs.4100/-pm.

              We have noted that there is regular repayment in account @7000/- pm instead of Rs.7100/- pm resulting in shortfall of Rs.8400/- upto 30.6.2012.The same is compensated in July to Sept.2012.

              Therefore, we should recover Rs.4100/- pm for remaining period of loan.

              However, due to rise in rate of interest from time to time, Loan Term has been extended by HO from 240 months to 300 months.

              At present rate of 12.00%,EMI for remaining period comes to Rs.5368/- say Rs.5400/- pm.

              You are advised to communicate the revised EMI to borrower & take his acceptance

              Further, amend the standing instruction for recovery of Rs.5400/- pm instead of Rs7000/- pm.

              Yours sincerely,
              S K Dwivedi
              Dy Zonal Manager”

  87. Phekan Jha

    Dear Amit,

    Many thanks for the great work you are doing.

    I recently retuned back to India from USA after 8 years . When I applied for Indian credit card I found out that I am a defaulter on CIBIL records. On ordering the CIBIL report came to know that Standard Chartered has 250,000 charge against me . On contacting Standard chatered for the said charges I was sent a mail stating that 250,000 ruppee has been charged for an unknown transaction of Rs 5000 in 2003 . Upon asking for the receipt of transaction no reply was forthcoming till date – this is now almost 10 months of folllowing up on this. I have written to both CIBIL and Std Chartered to remove my name as there was no transaction and no proof for the same multiple number of times over last 10 months. No reply has been forthcoming . Please advise so that this harrasment and fraudulent behaviour can be stopped.


  88. Gokul Kumar M

    Dear Sir/Mam,
    Name of the Employee : M .Gokul Kumar
    Employee Number : 2382
    Designation : Senior Engineer – Business Development
    Location : Head Office, Bangalore
    Date of Joining IDEB : 28th July 2008
    Date of Resignation : 07th October 2009
    Date of Relieving : 06th November 2009
    No dues : Cleared from all the department as per IDEB Policy
    Details of settlement
    got from IDEB on
    Nov 12, 2009 : Rs. 2,36,498(Rs.Two Lakhs Thirty six Thousand four hundred ninety eight only.)
    These are my details. Since last Three Years I am frequently following HR department by phone & Mobile for my full & final settlement, till now I didn’t get proper reply for my settlement.Then they told me that i have to contact CMD Mr. Harkirat Singh Bedi . Once I met CMD Mr. Harkirat Singh Bedi Of the company at Delhi Airport on 04/04/2010. I informed this matter to him that i was not paid salary while working and after reliveing from job i was not given full and final settlement.He told me that i will give your settlement within a month but till not the IDEB had not paid single rupee to me.In meanwhile i had sent several mail and several calls to CMD for my final settlement but he never use to reply to me nor he will pick the call. When my wife was pregnent when i had no money with me i send some mail to give some settlement amount but still i had got any reply.This is the condition of IDEB Projects private limited.While working he took our blood (i.e. working day and night) and after working we didnt get returns instead we are cheated by non payment of salary.It didnt happen to me alone it had happened to all employess of IDEB .Can any body help me solve this issue i will be grateful to them.
    Thanks & Regards
    M.Gokul Kumar (8056260502) – [email protected]

  89. ramesh

    Hi Manish,
    Great article. I have an account in corporation bank which is called as CLSB (a combination of savings and term deposit features) and while opening the account i had given a clear instruction for holding the investment for 36 months to get maximum interest.The bank was doing this until 2010 when they changed the duration to 179 days without my consent.Now when I ask the bank why did they change the duration , they say its company policy. Their prospectus clearly states that the duration will be based on what customer is giving in writing. Due to this i have lost money from 2010 till today and I feel the bank had an undue advantage by giving me low interest rate. Now, when i ask for the compensation they say its company policy and they did the same for all the customers.I hope banking ombudsman will be able to help me regarding this. I hope many customers would have suffered due to this and still they are not aware of this.Such things when un noticed these banks take advantage of the customers.

      • Krishna

        Thank you for ur response….
        Now, can i make a offline complaint also ? because already too late. that is why…

        actually i think he will respond to me in a month time…but you are saying it will take few months to respond….

        If you send your mail id means i will mail you my case details…

  90. Prasanna Kumari

    Dear Sir,
    Kindly give your suggestion on 26/5/2012 i withdrawd 1000, 2000 & 3000 i had 6402 balance ,it is a rural area often money wont be there so i used to withdraw in smaller amounts,after that my ATM didnt work ,it was showing unable to complete whenevr i tried to withdraw my Account is in Bangalore Syndiacate bank,i withdrew in kgf,i gave many written complaint to my Bangalore branch,they said that kgf Branch had sent a MEMO thats the reason your ATM is not working,later on they deducted 3000 from my account on 12th july & from that Day onwards ATM card started working,When i asked the reason they are saying you have done offline Transaction another 3000 you have recieved without having Balance,but when i took passbook entry ,it is showing only the amount what i have withdrawn
    ,but i didnt get any extra money it is wrongfull deduction,kindly suggest me in this regard how to get back my hard earned Money.

  91. sandhya tesra

    Dear Sir,
    I don’t know whether I am the first one to face this problem or not. I have a savings a/c with SBI, I have withdrawn Rs20000 from one of SBI ATM out of which i got five fake notes of Rs1000. So when i when to the bank to complain about the matter they told me that it is not possible as our staff verify the notes correctly which are deposited and they also told me that i have brought them from somewhere else which is absolutely not true. So can you please suggest me what to do to get back my hard earned money.

  92. mohammed sadatulla

    Dear Sir/Madam

    SUB : Harassment against Kotak Credit Cards after paying the Bill

    I have a Kotak Bank Credit Card no 4166461300063167 and on 10th of September as proof attached below made a payment of 861 form my Indusland Bank to Kotak Credit Cards as usual using webpay but after a few days I received a call first the collection department saying that the payment is not received by them . I got shocked that after making the payment also why these people are calling me so I immiadetly called up the bank and enquired they told me that they have not received the payment so they have a special division called collections they will just call and ask I will take a complaint against this non receivable of payment . It will take 5 working days I told ok fine after 5 working days I again called them up and asked them thy have received the payment or not they told no please contact your bank so I contacted my bank and they told me on 11 September kotak has already claimed the amount and bill desk is also claimed the amount sir so I again called the bank but this time again the agent told me sir I will take a complaint and it will take 5 working days but did not tell me to send me the documents I told ok then after 3 days again I got a mail from collections attached below when I called them they told me the case is been closed due to non receivable of documents so I again sent them the documents to the collections department and also to them but after that also the collections again called me and I received a statement charging interest and in the last after applying pressure I got a message on 29th september that they have receivd the payment . Sir I was not felling bad for any thing but why should I pay money and get calls from collections for not my mistake please take action against them sir.

    [email protected]
    Sep 25 (7 days ago)

    to me


    We have not received your payment towards your Kotak Credit Card (xxxx xxxx xxxx 3167) for the month of Sep’12. Total outstanding on your Kotak credit card is Rs. 16521.42 .We request you to make at least the minimum payment of Rs. 1071.42 to keep your account in good standing.

    Please ignore this mail if you have already made the payment.

    To know more about the various payment options, please Click Here
    Please feel free to get in touch with Rajesh Veeti at [email protected], should you seek any clarifications in this regard.
    Please note that information relating to your credit history with us is provided to the Credit Information Bureau of India Limited (CIBIL), an initiative of the Government of India and the Reserve Bank of India. An unsatisfactory payment record on your card or any adverse credit history may impact your ability to avail credit facilities from any financial institution in future.

    Kotak Credit Card

    \Thanks and Regards
    Mohammed Asmath SAdatulla

      • mohammed sadatulla

        Dear sir i have sent a mail regarding this but i cannot understand the offline form if u could please please give me an example of how to fill the offline form i would be greatful to you because their is lots of confusion in filling up the offline form please request sir please

  93. Srinivas

    Hi Manish,

    When I followed the instructions to submit an online complaint by uploading a pdf file with all the detailed information, I received the following email from Banking Ombudsman though this is not a fresh complaint. . Please have a look and advise.

    The Banking Ombudsman will not be in a position to take up your complaint as it is not covered under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006. As per the Scheme, the complainant must approach his bank/branch first for redressal of his grievance. Since you have not done so, we have redirected your complaint to your bank for suitable action.Please follow up directly with your bank/branch quoting that “The complaint was forwarded by Reserve Bank of India to the Nodal Officer of the bank through Banking Ombudsman Online complaint form on the website of Reserve Bank of India on 03-Oct-2012″ You may approach the Banking Ombudsman if you are not satisfied with bank’s reply / bank has rejected your complaint / you have not received any reply from your bank within a period of one month from lodging the complaint with the bank

    Banking Ombudsman (New Delhi)”

  94. naveen

    I Rakasi Naveen customer of State Bank of India at Esamia Bazar Branch,Hyderabad, AP having a Savings Account since last 3 years or so , lost my money through a fraud cash withdrawl from an ATM in Bengaluru,Karnataka ( details of the ATM mentioned below). I do not have any add on card to my savings account and to my knowledge I was using my card securely and did not reveal my card or ATM password anywhere /anybody, but on 1st of August 2012 at about 7PM with my ATM card in my pocket, I received 2 messages continously on my registered mobile(9885393933) of the account withdrawing Rs 20,000 each . In total I had 40,000 withdrawn from my account. I immediately called on the help center to deactivate my card. I have reported the same issue at the account holding branch i.e SBI bank Esamia bazar branch from where I got the complaint numbers for the Transactions . Here are the Complaint Numbers
    After that i did not get any reply from the bank..after 1 month of the incident ie around 15 of october i filed a complaint of the same to the banking ombudsman,
    but till date there is no reply from the banking ombudsman.
    i kindly request you to advise me for help
    Thanking you

  95. Chakrapani Himanshu

    dear Sir
    I have a savings Bank Account with SBI, Hasanpur Road, Samastipur, Bihar. I am a employ of hasanpur college , Hasanpur Road. On 16/02/2012 as per college advise Rs. 165832.54 was credited in my aforesaid account. After six months on 29/08/2012 Rs. 40,000/- was transferred by Bank from my account to hasanpur College Hasanpur Road’s Account without my permission/ Cheque/ Withdrawal form/ any letter or my consent. after transferring the said amount the Bank till date not conveyed me regarding this transfer of fund.
    can a Bank transfer any amount from my account without prior notice to me or consent of mine.
    once any amount deposited in my account can be transferred to any other account without my permission?
    Please help me and give detail information.
    Chakrapani Himanshu.

      • Chakrapani Himanshu

        This amount was credited in my A/C by College as my salary in February 2012 and on 29th august 2012 bank transferred 40,000/- to college’s A/C without any notice to me (till date). when I lodged a complain to customer care they told me that the excess payment was done in February 2012.

          • Chakrapani Himanshu

            no it was my money. excess amount of credit was not a Bank’s mistake. the said amount was credited in my A/C according to the College Principal’s advice. After six months Principal told the Bank that I have credited excess amount to Chakrapani’s A/C, and then Bank transferred 40,000/- Rs. to the College A/C without any notice to me (till date).
            can a Bank transfer any amount from my account without prior notice to me or consent of mine.
            Once any amount deposited in my account can be transferred to any other account (0n Principal’s request?) without my permission?
            Plz give ur opinion and what is its legal aspect?

  96. jacob

    my mummy got F.D.acount in canara bank. no nominee was kept because she has been told that, it will automaticlly transfer to her husband name if something hapen to her.last year she passed away.my dad went to bank for queries,the banker told that nominee is not mention at all.further he told him to bring legal heirship .our family settlement has been done and the power of attourney has done for moving & nonemoving property in my name. is it ok for withdrawing of F.D.A/C

    please suggest


    Hi Manish

    I have A Saving Bank A/C with Canara. On dated 29/09/2012.Itried to withdraw rs 9000 from my ac but due to technical error, my request was cancelled but I recieved the msg that rs 9000 is been debited from my account. As 29th was saturaday and due to the half yearly closing, the bank was closed on that day, So i filed the complaint on 1st Oct. The concerned person told me that your money will be transferred in a week but after 7 days i went there, they checked the status and I came to know that they lodged the incorrect date of transaction in their detail. They modified the complaint and still made me wait for 1 week more. Should I wait or file the complaint???

    Plz reply

    • Better follow up with bank a little more, tell them that you will complain to Banking ombudsman if they dont do it in time and you should also get the penalty amount . they will act faster !

  98. baba

    Hi, one of my friends credit card was misused and did a purchase of 2 lakhs upon the alert he called upon the bank immediately but they refused to stop the transaction.
    How do we deal this issue.

      • Baba

        Below is some more data.
        The credit card got misused by some one for around 2 LAKHS rupees.
        The transaction got done in USA in DOLLARS(USD).
        Immediately he called the BANK(CITIBANK) and asked them to stop the transactions. But they refused to do so and said that they will investigate the matter after the money is transferred to the merchant.
        also there was no good response from them. Even after reporting to them, none of them called him or not even guided what he have to do(like giving complaint to POLICE etc)

        Next day he gave a complaint to CYBER POLICE as well. The POLICE really tried their level best. But the bank haven’t cooperated.
        Now the money got transferred to the merchant.He
        came to know that AIR TICKETS were booked using his credit card.

        Following he got the below update from the respective bank which is as below.

        All Citibank cards are enrolled for 3D Secure or Verified By Visa (VBV) and for all transactions done on merchant sites (domestic or international ) who are 3D Secure or VBV compliant, the bank will request for a 2 factor authentication. Due to an RBI mandate within India, all merchants are required to be 3D secure or VBV compliant. Should an online transaction be incurred on a merchant website which is not 3D secure or VBV compliant, the bank will decline the transaction, as per the RBI mandate. However, if a similar transaction is presented by an international merchant, the bank will authorize the same as transactions incurred at international merchants are not bound by the RBI mandate. The above transactions were incurred at an international ME and hence were not mandated to comply with the 2 factor authentication.

  99. Timma

    Please help me in this.
    Got cheated by Axis Bank (Mumbai) loan agent.
    As I am looking for a personal loan, one day agent called me and told that interest rate 14.5%, processing fee 0.5%. After giving initial docs, I got a message from bank that it is 17%, 1.5%, then I said no. After some time agent came back and told that it is 16%, 1.5%, again I rejected. After some time, he came back and told it is 15%, 0.5%, then I agreed and signed the docs. But when I recieved the loan, it is 16%, 1.5%.
    I asked to resolved it, then from last 2 months, he is saying will be done today and till now nothing done. Now, he is not picking up my phone.

    I already paid 2 emi’s, money is still lying idle in my bank a/c.

    I complained to bank to resolve this and close the loan, they keep on replying that
    I only agreed to those rates. There are alterations in the interest rate part of doc, which are not done by me.

    Please help me, how to fight against this.

  100. Amirtharaj

    Hi Manish,

    I have taken a personal loan in AXIS bank on 08-07-2008 Account number: PP0900100076503.
    Cleared all payments and received NOC letter. But, still CIBIL records not updated in my account.
    I want to take a new personal loan immediately. What can i do now.

  101. Mohit


    I’m based in bangalore and got a call this morning from a person claiming to be from GE Money. He said that I had taken a loan in 2004 and defaulted it and is threatening me with unsaid consequences if I do not pay up.

    I have never transacted with GE money. However I had applied for a credit card with an agent in 2004. I’m worried if they could have used my documents for procuring a loan.

    I want to know if I can be prosecuted for this or will I face any legal action.



  102. Venkat N

    I had 2 Credit Cards from Standard Charted bank. My CC no are
    XXXXXXXXXXX 2511 and XXXXXXXXXX 5775.I Have instructed your Customer
    care for Closing of this account in 2006-2007 only. I am not using
    these cards since 2006 and I have not received any statements since
    that period.

    Brief History of Card no: XXXXXXXXXX 5775:
    1. Initially ,I have dropped a cheque at drop Box, before 20 days of the due date
    2.They returned my cheque, after the due date and mentioned there is a mistake in the cheque and arrange a payment. I have arranged the payment and requested Customer care for lay off the Late payment fee and they have agreed.
    3.In the next month statement ,again I found some late payment fee of 350 + taxes. Again, I have called Customer care executive and explained the same to him. He told to me deduct the late payment fee and Taxes pay the rest of the amount. Which I have arranged to them. (20 -Feb-2006- statement)
    4.I have surprised to see on my 20-mar-2006 statement ,previous balance + Late payment fee , and blocked my card. Again I have called the Customer care executive and explained the whole conversation happened between myself and Customer care executives. She told me that ,it was not available in the history. I was surprised that ,3 Customer care executives are made a false promise to me. After a lot of argument, she agreed to lay off the late payment fees. And also I have requested to close my card on the same day. After that I have not received any statements or any call or letter from the Bank.

    Card no: XXXXXXXXXXX 2511: This is also I told them to close the
    Card. I don’t have any outstanding balances at the time. After that i did not receive any card and not used since 2006.
    Now these two cards are in My CIBIL Report with outstanding of 30000/- each.
    in October 5th,i have called to Customer care executives and they told me that ,they have only last 3 months statements. For further queries and complaints they provided me a mail ID.
    I wrote a mail on 5th October, but still did not received any clarification. Please help me how to proceed.

  103. Amirtharaj

    Hi Manish,
    I have taken a personal loan in AXIS bank on 08-07-2008 Account number: PP0900100076503.
    Cleared all payments and received NOC letter. But, still CIBIL records not updated in my account.
    I want to take a new personal loan immediately. What can i do now.

  104. Dhirendra Rathod

    Hi Manish,

    I have a SBI account in Nagpur. I moved to Ahmedabad in February 2012. On date 5/09/2012 when I went for withdrawal at ATM by my SBI debit card, I came to know I have no amount left in my account. Immediately I saw transactions on SBI website & came to know that on 3rd & 4th Sept 69 thousand being withdrawn from my account, it is from ATMs in KOLKATA.
    I was shocked as I need to pay rent I as it is months starting I need to pay to other purpose also. I complained to customer care on 5th & in the morning called to my branch Manager & he told me that transactions were made using my debit card. I told him that the card is with me. He suggested lodging an FIR. You might know our system, how it is difficult to lodge an FIR & in this case nobody accepting my complaint in Ahmedabad & Police was suggesting me to go to Kolkata as crime happend there.
    Though I complained my branch by email and send copy of that to Police (KOLKATA, NAGPUR & AHMEDABAD) On 12th September I told my branch Manager to lodge complain as I am telling them and also giving them in writing that I did not withdrawn from my account. This is very harassing for me to go daily in Police station and request to file an FIR. They just sent me an email mentioning FILE AN FIR & send us a copy.
    After so much of pain I got success in lodging FIR on 24th September copy of which I sent to SBI branch by email. SBI did not responded so far.

    On 3th October I got a mail from CDC RBI Nagpur that they forwarded my complaint to Banking Ombudsmen (I copied most of my conversation to them from where they pick & forwarded the complaint) & gave me complaint no to further communicate with BO.

    My question is : 1.) What can I do further as I am in need of Money.
    2.) You might be very much aware of private company, it is very difficult to take time out from work and also to concentrate on work keeping all this tension. This delay is very harrasing for me. How much time will it take?

    3) From Ahmedabad they forwarded my FIR to Nagpur by post & I heard from my father who are living there that Police will again going to send my Complaint to Ahmedabad police as Crime happend in Kolkata. Nagpur police just did the investigation that I have a account in SBI. Dont know when this complaint will reach to Kolkata, Why dont SBI investigate?
    Please advice whatever you know in this regards asap.
    4) I emaild BO regarding my complaint, not yet gor any responce. What should I do and what they can do in my case?

    • The point is there is a possibility that there is no fraud at all and you did it by yourself . This is how a bank will think and after all there is a possibility like this . So the investigation will take time .

      • Dhirendra Rathod

        Is not its a banks responsibility to investigate OR to lodge an FIR if I (customer) telling them that I did not done any transaction and for which I have all the proof?

          • dhirendra

            Dear Manish,

            Please read my original post again. May be you will then have idea of incidences happened. I need guidence for further action.
            BO responded; lodge complain if you dont get any response from bank or if thay dont give satisfactory answer.
            Should I wait for police investigation to finish?

            • Did you put a formal request with banking ombudsman or just emailed them on email id ? Put a proper form to them online and offline both . You can meanwhile also complain in the police

  105. Anto Thomas

    On 8th October’12, I was trying to withdraw an amount of Rs.15000/- from the ATM attached to the Gokhale Road branch-Thane. During the transaction, though all my credentials such as PIN, Card & all the other commands were accepted, the money was not dispensed off from the ATM, however I got a transaction slip stating that the transaction was successful & subsequently the money was debited from my account. After this, I immediately called up the ICICI call center and reported the same. However after one day, I got a SMS from ICICI stating that the amount cannot be reversed as the transaction was paid completely. I re-raised this complaint again with them and escalated the matter to their nodal officer for a reversal on which they informed me that since there is no excess cash in their ATM box, the transaction cannot be reversed. Now I would like to know that as a genuine customer, what option I have for an appropriate remedy. Please advise.



    As per my Baning ombudsman comp.No.201213001000766 dt.28/08/2012 regarding Tds amount not refunded on account of submitted 15 H in time every years my total tds amount is Rs.6135/- against SBI Mehsana Branch no any response by SBI or SBI Mehsana Br, stil today my comp. was 54 day pending so please closed my comp.and refunded my tds amt credited my sb account with sbi mehsana branch.0427

  107. Santhosh


    I am getting a call and mail from ABN AMRO bank, saying that i am a defaulter and asked to pay Rs 21,000/ as settlement amount. After some time one person called me and said that he is a advacate representative of said bank and told me to pay Rs 10,000/- as settlement amount. I have requested bank personnel to provide me the details of due amount and date from which it is pending, so that i can verify my records and revert, becos there is nothing due from me on account of credit card issued by the bank. They are not ready to give the details instead they are telling that they will a cheating case and i have to face the same legally. Kindly advice how to go about the same.

    Santhosh mc

  108. Raj

    I am Raj Ade & holding salary account of HDFC Bank . On the Morning of 18 Oct 2012, I received SMS stating withdrawal of the amount Rs.48640.81.In this regard, I raised the complaint in HDFC Bank. But there is no action.
    So Please I hearty request you help us in this regards.

      • Amit

        Hi Manish,

        My 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards were stolen on the 1st of Nov’12 and used before I could block it. The bank says we cant do anything abt it – specially the debit card as the money has already been debited from my a/c. The bank says Merchant should have checked the signature on the card & the transaction slip – which he didn’t – so the bank cannot be held responsible for it. Can you pls advise me how do I lodge a complaint, against whom, where, when & what all documents will be reqd? What can I do to recover my money? Whom should I approach to lodge the complaint?

        • In this case , bank should not give the money to the merchant because here only the merchant is to be blamed ! , you should file a case against bank ,stating that they should pay you bank and not merchant !

  109. Neil

    Hey Manish, Its gr8 you are helping people by your blog….Thumbs up.
    I had a query actually on 31st of Oct some fraudulent Transactions have been done from my Credit Card which was of 1 Lakh Plus Rs,The transactions were done in Favor of a Saudi Arabian Company,. I called Icici Bank but they are now saying that these transactions have been done using your 3D secure Pin so they cannot do a thingand I have to Pay and I am not in a position to pay the amount at all because firstly i have not done thos transactions and moreover i have a Loan running in parallel,So please Guide me how to go about it.Some Queries :-
    1. What to do Now,Can i get my money back from that Saudi Company,If yes then How?
    2. Process of Bank ombudsman Complaint.

    thanks in Advance for such a gr8 Help.

  110. Rajesh

    Hi Manish,

    I have taken a Home Loan from HDFC for 20 lakhs. Bank has provided a partial disbursement of 7 lakhs (this is the only disbursement we have got from bank to-date). At the time of first disbursement of 7 lakhs bank had asked us whether we would like to pay the EMI on the entire loan amount (i.e. 20 lakhs) or just on the disbursed amount (i.e. 7 lakhs). We opted for the entire loan amount because they said whatever additional we are paying will be adjusted against our principal loan amount. But this week (i.e 19th Nov 2012) when we asked bank whether it is possible for them to change our EMI from the entire loan amount to disbursed amount (i.e. instead of paying EMI on 20 lakhs can we pay EMI on 7 lakhs which is the total amount disbursed to us till date) for the next 4 months due to financial issues. The manager outright said it cannot be done, but on our persistence he sent a mail to us saying that he will check with his seniors and get back to us.

    I personally feel bank should not be forcing us to pay the EMI on the entire loan amount. Initially we choose the option of paying EMI for the entire loan amount and now when we want to pay EMI only for the disbursed amount we should be provided that option, instead bank is forcing us to continue with the EMI for the entire loan amount.

    I would like to know your opinion on this and can we raise this issue to Banking ombudsman or should we wait till he responds back after checking with his seniors.

      • rakesh pujari

        Hi Manish
        Manishji Mujhe Ek Saval Hai,Maine 4 Mahine Pahile Bank OmbudsmanMain Maine Ek Complait Kiya Tha,900/ R.s Ka,Mujhe Paise To Mill Gaye Lekin Uska Kuch Muhavaja Kuch Bhi Nahi Mila. Jab Ki Maine Muhavaje Ke Liye Application Diya Tha,Iss Silsile Main Muhavje Ke Liye Kya Kar Sakte Hai? Aur Kis Se Complait Kar Sakte Hai.

  111. Shiva Sahu


    I have lodged one complaint in Banking ombudsman.But i am not getting the notification for the process going on or whether my request has been accepted by the Banking ombudsman or it got rejected.

    Is there any process for getting notification for any thing..


    Shiva Sahu

  112. Hari

    IDBI home loan dept made late process and the builder charged me 1.2L as late payment.
    Bank even not given sanction letter even after four months, now they are saying they had issue with the builder.
    Can I go to ombudsman? what are the evidence that I require for this ?


    • Hari

      First make sure you are clear whose fault is it , if its a bank fault, then you need to go to banking ombudsman , if its a builder fault , you need to move to consumer forum .


  113. Naresh P

    Hello Sir,

    I need your help and guidance. Please help me.
    I had raised a complain with BO against Bank of Maharashtra on 29th Oct 2012. Till 7 December 2012, I was getting a reply from the BO Mumbai office that the Bank is yet to reply. Today Morning I got a mail from BO stating “Complaint No. 201213013002422 got disposed, under Not on the grounds of complaint referred to in clause 8 or otherwise not in accordance with sub clause (3) of clause 9″

    I was not called for representation of my case. Shall I raise the complaint again or go for appeal.

    Let me brief you regarding about my complain. In 2005 I applied for housing loan of Rs 4,36,000 (Takeover from HDFC bank) and a house renovation loan of Rs 2,14,000/-. The total loan amount was Rs 6,50,000/-. In the sanction letter of bank the bank clearly mentioned that there will be two EMI’s, one for Rs 4100/-, 240 months and the other for Rs 3000/-,84 months. However only one loan account was made on the excuse, that the property is one and hence only one mortgage agreement can be made.
    In 2012, I was expecting my renovation loan to be repaid and I paying EMI only Housing loan. But the bank was still deducting Rs 7100/- from my account.
    When approached to bank, the branch manager told me verbally that the two loans have been merged and I need to pay Rs 7100 for 240 months. However in writing they are saying that I have repaid my renovation loan and due to increase in interest rates I have to pay Rs 5400 for 300 months.
    I told them I am ready to with increased interest rate, but when asked for loan account statement, they are giving me a loan statement with balance of Rs 4,58,000/- for a loan of Rs 4,36,000/-. This too when I am paying my EMI on time every month.

    Many Thanks in Advance for sparing your time.


  114. Dear Naresh,

    As long as the bank has specified in writing that the home renovation loan is repaid, there is no need to worry about the verbally communicated information. Also the increase in your EMI from Rs.4,100 to Rs.5,400 is because of the interest rates and nothing can be done about it. However this EMI will be paid only for the next 156 months (i.e. 240 – 84 months repaid) and not for 300 months. There also seems to be some confusion and therefore is difficult for us to comment unless we have a detailed factual account of the series of events and communications.

    About your Banking Ombudsman complaint being disposed off, there are certain grounds of complaint and procedures which have to be followed before a complaint can be filed with the Banking Ombudsman. Please go through this link of “The Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006” http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/Content/PDFs/67933.pdf which will help you understand the procedures and take the appropriate course of action. It is possible your complaint got rejected on a matter of procedure as required by the Scheme.


  115. mayank

    How much time does Banking Ombudsman takes after I file the complain? Its almost 2 weeks i have filed complain with Banking Ombudsman but i have not received any response from them.

  116. Harshad Patel

    I am Axis bank Saving account holder. Last 2nd December, 2012,I visited ATM center (ATM ID:S1AC4488) where I made two transaction of Rs. 500.00 and 2000.00 without Inserting any PIN and amount which is essential for any bank transaction. How it’s possible? What is the security of my ATM card and saving account? Anybody can withdraw money from my account.
    I had made complain on Axis bank portal regarding this within two days of my transaction, till I have not got any response.
    Can you assist me for further step.

    Thanking You


  117. varsha gandhi

    Can anyone plz give online email address of ombudsman bank as well as grevience forum of dena bank where i can complain against the bank?
    Thanks in advance.

  118. Rahul Jain

    Hi Can you help me in respect of the below letter i wrote to Standard Chartered Bank:

    I, Rahul Jain, was holding a credit card with Standard Chartered Bank. I had cancelled the credit card and at the time of cancellation the card had a credit balance of Rs. 4,544.57. After repeated request for months, the credit balance was processed and a cheque/ demand draft was sent to me.

    The cheque/ demand draft was collected by my office security but they misplaced the courier and it is still not traceable. Therefore, because of negligence on part of my office security, I have still not the cheque/ demand draft.

    I wrote my first e-mail to [email protected] on 27 December 2012 requesting them to issue necessary instruction to stop the payment of the cheque/ demand draft so that it does not go into wrong hands. I also requested in the e-mail to issue me a new cheque/ demand draft or to directly deposit the amount into my bank account (details of which was also shared). After this e-mail also, I have written a number of e-mails to have the status update.

    In spite of writing repeated e-mails, I have not got any response to my request. I am highly disappointed with the quality of service your team provides. Especially, their answers are far away from the question raised. Either they don’t understand English or they don’t want to understand customer’s problem.

    I have even sent a fax also to the relevant department but even they did not bother to respond to it.

    My clear requests to you are as follows:

    1. Please issue necessary instructions to stop the payment of cheque/ demand draft already issued; and

    2. Issue me a new cheque/ demand draft for that amount. Alternatively, I would prefer to have the amount directly credited to my bank account. Let me know if you want me to share the bank account details.

    I hope that my request will be taken care of by you this time.

  119. Bala Krishna

    I am Balakrishna. I have taken EUR world money card from Citi bank. They have entered my name wrong on the card while taking card. I have not noticed that.
    Recently, I have requested the Citi bank to send a draft in INR for rest of the Euros in my card.They have sent me a draft with the wrong name. Later I noticed that point, I have sent the original draft back to Citi bank to issue a fresh draft with the updated name and also attached some proofs to change my name correctly.
    Citi bank officials changed my name on the card finally and they have not issued a fresh draft with the changed name. I have been asking banking executives for last 20 days. They say they can send draft in 3 days.But they din’t do it. When ever I call they say again 3 days. But no use.I keep on following them from past 2 weeks. No use.
    What should I do regarding this? Please help me here.

  120. sahid hussain

    Dear All,

    my self sahid Hussain i have taken personal loan from GE financial services loan amount of Rs 21500 and clear some EMIs and i have some financial problem im unable to pay the EMIs and immidiately i contact to GE people and told them please take your amount and close the loan account they are giving me settlement letter and NOC letter and mention clearly loan amount fully paid no dues are pending and close my account. now i want to join in a private sector bank they are saying me your name was in CIBIL please clear it first then only we can give you offer letter.so immidiately i call to GE people please remove my name from CIBIL now Ge customer executive saying me we can do anything because your account is settle so we cant help you to remove your name from CIBIL and moreover i told them please take your amount if anything is pending from my side they are saying no we are not take amount from you its already your account is closed so please help me out how can i remove my name from CIBIL they are not giving me any alternate im ready to pay if any balance amount is there they are not listening my word and not removing my name from cibil.please help me

    Sahid Hussain

    • Sahid

      Your name is in CIBIL does not mena that you are defaulter .. It might happen that your score is less or it might be the DPD section which is messed up .. can you send me your cibil report , let me have a look .


    • Dear Mr. Hussain,

      The credit policies of certain lenders do not allow them to accept the payment towards an account which is already settled – GE Financial Services seems to be one of them.

      Although, one possible alternative for your new job is that you can show your communications made to GE Financial services stating your willingness to pay the outstanding amount. This could help you to some extent.


  121. Suraj

    Hello Everyone,

    I read through all above discussions. I had a similar case which was discussed here by “Neil” and “Abhay Prasad”.

    Same thing happened with me. I have account with ICICI. In 2012, March I got three messages saying my account is debited with 27000/- Rs. I was shocked, accessed my account and found there were three transactions happened, out of that first two were reversed and third transaction actually debited the amount.

    I went told this to ICICI and local police station. I did continue follow-up with bank and police but Hussssss!!! Nothing helped.

    ICICI customer care first told me that this transaction is happened in Russia and someone did card swipe. Then they come up with new story that this has happened via internet banking and now they are saying that they cannot refund money as this transaction is happened via 3D secure Pin.

    I don’t know what 3D secure pin is and never received any such pin from bank. I never do online purchase except irctc ticket booking (which is also very rare)
    Now I am so much frustrated that I get angry even when I see/hear “ICICI” word.
    Could you guys please advise me what to do next?

    • BEtter ask for complete explaination from ICICI and then complain to banking ombudsman on this. Ask ICICI what is the procedure they follow to prove that how the transaction took place !

      • Suraj

        Hi Manish,

        Thanks for your quick reply. I enquired about detail procedure for investigation to ICICI. However I am still waiting for reply(Will get it in couple of days, they promised me so). I am pasting here a reply from icici senior manager which I have with me.

        Could you please have a look.

        It is unfortunate that, despite our good intentions, you have had to undergo inconvenience /discomfiture. We regret the inconvenience caused.

        We have re-looked into the concerns raised by you. We would like to inform you that the dispute / chargeback can be raised against the Point of Sale (POS) transaction as guided by the regulatory. Further, as per VISA guidelines, chargeback does not apply to Secure Electronic Commerce Transaction i.e. online transaction which are authenticated through 3D secured PIN.

        We state that the above transaction has undergone a 3D Secure authentication, which is a second level authentication specifically built in for online transactions done through Merchant Websites. It may be noted that, apart from the Card Verification Value (CVV) & Expiry date on your Credit Card, your personal 06 digit 3D Secure PIN was also required for effecting the said transaction. The 3D Secure PIN is purely personal and privy to the customer and would not be known to anybody, unless compromised otherwise. The Card holder is responsible for the security of his/her Card along with his/her personal 3D Secure PIN and should therefore take all possible steps towards ensuring the safe-keeping thereof. The Bank does not incur any financial liability arising out of the misuse thereof by unauthorized persons.

        We confirm that the said transaction was qualified by information strictly personal to you. The Bank is therefore precluded as per industry guidelines to repudiate the transaction with the Merchant on the basis of your dispute. Based on the above facts, we would to inform you that the disputed transactions for Rs.27000 is released in Bank’s favor as transactions were second level authenticated with 3D Secure PIN.


  122. g.dinesh

    I foreclosed my 2 nos personal loans of HDFC Bank and 1 no personal loan of Fullerton on April 2012 when closing my loan account i paid late payment charge and Bounds charges due to delay of EMI payment and i got NOC from the banks for closing of my account.
    Now Dec 2013 I apply for new Personal loan in HDFC bank my loan was rejected due to my previous loan track , and i apply in ICICI bank they also reply me your previous PL track is in DPD .
    They inform me your previous loan DPD is reflecting in CIBIL report , Untill removing my previous loan record from CIBIL , i cannot get any loan in future , so please reply what to do for this problem

  123. Hi,
    I don’t know if this is the right place. I wish to complain about my bank ICICI. I am unable to make any transactions online and this is ongoing since past 3 months now, with no resolution to it. Went to the bank and they say it is not blocked. Called the contact center and they say will take some time no specific SLA or follow up for the same. I am fed up of this. I miss so many offers online due to this.
    Can someone help to get a resolution from them?




    I am Arun Sinare manager from CVSD pune having cheque clearing problem for three months that has issued by MARATHWADA AUTO AGENCY-BEEDD towards bank of maharashtra- R K Math on the a/c of CVSD Pune (a/c no.60015766186)

    I also wants interest on my cheque amount that your bank is earning as surplus since three months.
    Sir you know who is responsible this matter but sir most important i having loss my business & facing economic problem to your banking service
    cheque details are-
    1. Ch. No. :440020 AMOUT -20000/- DEPOSITED PADMAWTI BRANCH DATE 17 NOV 2012
    2. Ch. No. :440021 AMOUT -20000/- DEPOSITED PADMAWTI BRANCH DATE 23 NOV 2012
    3. Ch. No. :440022 AMOUT -15467/- DEPOSITED PADMAWTI BRANCH DATE 29 NOV 2012
    All cheque are sangli urban co op bank ltd

    Arun Sinare
    Manager for
    CVSD pune.

  125. Sree Charan

    Manish, It is really a eye opening forum, particularly for youngsters..

    I would like share a incident which took place recently, I had switched to a new company, and the day of my joining was stitting with HR and filling all my mandatory forms.

    Then appeared a well dressed marketing agent of a Pvt, Bank (which handles the salary account of the company) for getting my salary account opened. He started talking about his bank and followed by paper work, first he asked me sign in two papers, I did because that was a accout opening form. Then he asked to sign in another sheet without allowing me to read it, Then came to know it was a Credit Card, for which I got wild and asked him what is it, he gave a reply Sir, Its a free a credit card for all the employees of this company, I asked:- Does your statement mean that your Bank is doing a charity job, without levying interst on credit cards. Agent Said :- No sir, no annual charges for first year.. This is the way they try to fool the people. I gave him a direct reply if the company says taking this Credit Card is mandatory for joining here, I dont want to join this company, in front of HR..

    Manish:- Request you to start a new forum, To explain the people who to want avail Credit / Liability product about the criticalities involved in it.
    1. What are the cause and effect of obtaining those
    2. What care should be taken before obtaining the same
    3. What kind of monitoring should be done once after obtaining any credit facilities
    4. What is the minimum technical / jargon words should they know about before approaching for any loan, (because this is were most of the ppl get misled).
    and things like this. So that we can on it particulary on this topic.

    With All Good Wishes

    Sree Charan

  126. Amit Singla

    i registered my complaint to BO on 6/10/12 but till date i did not got any solution please tell me how to proceed further.

  127. ATUL

    Hi Manish,
    Hope you r doing well, I had a UTI Credit card and made a big purchase and wanted to convert in to emi, but the bank service was so poor that i never got connected to customer care after hanging on phone even hours. I tried communicating with e-mail but they responded that this mail id is not registered with them. I was helpless could not do any thing. I paid all the money,the money of purchase but did not pay the extra charges. As if i would have converted in to emi hardly,i could had to pay anything extra with emi.I never received statement on time. I left the issues as i was feeling helpless.I was almost starting of 2008 when axis was taking over from UTI.
    Now when i applied for a loan,i found my Name as defaulter.I started calling the bank again and started to check about issue, I came to know that almost 500/- to 1000/- charge is now 7551/-. After chasing bank bank by calling and writing to Grivances cell,they offerd to do settlement at 50% amount ie. 3000 some change. I have come to know that if i do the settlement of any loan or credit card bank would never give me loan.
    I just wanted to know that i can take my case to banking ombudsman as bank has always failed to provide service and for mental harassment.
    In the mean while bank slapped with somany charges untill the amount becomes big.In between duration i changed my house but my friends were in same address and they have been harrased by bank people.
    Please tell me, what is the best approach, As i have approached even Head-Service Quality (Axis Bank),they are not ready to listen anything. what i should do ?? please suggest..

    • Atul

      Can you point out why was the charge put on your credit card and was it as per terms and conditions or not . Note that there are thousands of cases like yours and the common issue. Some of the issues are from bank side , agreed , but you can not said that you did everything you could have done . A small charge will become a big one given the penalties and the charges over time . Now if you can show that it was never your fault , then you can get away with it . But just saying that customer care was busy for a lot of time or days , that is not something which will play as a base .

      Bank statement not reaching on time is a deficiency in service, but can not be a ground to not pay the charges or what ever you owe . If you feel , its really not your mistake as per the terms and conditions of the credit card, then with all your power go to banking ombudsman or consumer court and you are 100% guaranteed to win the case. But in short term, I dont see you coming out of this issue .

      I would say pay the money right now and contest later, because if you loose after 1 yr, this 6-7k would have become 30-40k :)

    • ATUL

      Hi Manish,
      Thanks for your immediate reply. I have cleared all the money.Now what should be my stand point? As bank is also bound to provide service,but when i have not received the service,what i should do here. Axis bank people has given me so much pain. Bank needs to provide me statement at least on time,after generation of bill. In that time i never received any statement at all. It was the time when UTI was taken by Axis. According to my purchase i have been paying without knowing the statement and charges. I know bank can not show me dates of receiving statement,as it was never delivered in my hand.
      Manish i have many cards but never experienced such a worst service like Axis.what ever be the reason, i never received proper service from them as per terms of RBI. Bank simply kept quite until they made the amount in big digit.Even after asking so many time they were not able to reply me my mail,at that time my mail id was not registered with them,Now how they are able to reply?? How my mail id became registered???
      Please suggest me,how i should take my case to Banking Ombudsman or consumer forum,I would be really thankful for your suggestion.

      • Dear Atul,

        You can file an online complaint under the Banking ombudsman Scheme 2006 by visiting the link http://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/bs_viewcontent.aspx?Id=159.
        The bank should have responded to your request to convert your payments into an EMI. However it was not the banks responsibility to send you the monthly statements. Also did you inform the bank about the change in your address?

        Make sure that you read the “Grounds of complaint” under the scheme before you file a complaint.


        • ATUL

          Dear Credexpert,
          Can i know whose responsibility is to send statement, How ppl should track there expenditure????? without statement ???? If yes that is what i was doing,but i do not know, for which thing they have charged. Hope you are aware once you receive statement you would come to know, correct??
          Here is the issue,if you do not receive statement, you can only beat around bushes and you will end no where..
          How about once you receive statement after 4 months and you see bank has already slaped you with hell lot of charges???
          you would surely require some clarification,right??? How about you try communicating to customer care hang on phone for hours and unable to get connected?????
          you would try other alternative.. intelligent idea very common now a days, you will e-mail bank..
          How about bank does not responds you with unique answer, you mail id is not registered with us.(It is 5yr back communication). How,Today with same mail id they are able to communicate?????
          They did not even called customer untill the amount became 5000+/- from 500/-, what is this policy??????

          I was just looking for some expert advice but ppl are giving generic and ordinary answer. I would really welcome some one expert advice. I can not let bank to keep cheating AAM ADMI. I know bank will have to pay me compensation for this issue that is the reason i have paid complete amount.
          If i do settlement, I can not go to Banking Ombudsman.

          • Dear Atul,

            It is important to understand that as a borrower you are obliged to pay the bank and co-ordinate with the bank in case of non receipt of statements. As already mentioned, yes the bank should have responded to your request to convert your payments into an EMI but non receipt of statements cannot be a ground for non – payment of dues.

            Also please clarify whether you communicated to the bank about the change in your address? Did you file a complaint with the bank? You have mentioned that you tried to communicate to the customer care but could not get through. You would be able to file a complaint under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006 only if you filed a complaint and the bank failed to respond to your complaint.


            • ATUL

              Dear Credexpert,
              I do not understand,How you feel to maintain the CC when you do not have clarity for “Amount to be paid” blindly you can not go and keep making payment even not having any outstanding.. It is very important for bank to inform a customer for their outstanding.If bank keeps sleeping due to their transition work or any other nounsense activity, a customer should not be blamed for same. It looks like you are not able to understand my issue properly.. Do not worry, i know to handle the things. Again I require someone expert advice NOT GENERIC.

  128. Vipin

    Hi Manish,
    I was having a HDFC salary account from 2008. After leaving that company in 2010, my Salary account changed. But still, i was maintaing that account for transaction purposes. Few days back, one of collegues alerted me saying that HDFC is debiting some charges from the accounts. I went to my account and saw that some charges were debited saying AMB charges. I was not sure what was that. I called up the Customer care and they told me that those are Average Monthly Balance charges. But i told them that mine is a salary account. But they told me that it has been converted to savings account in 2012. I argued that, the Bank has not informed me about that. They replied back saying that its there in the Welcome Kit.
    I was frustrated and browsed some documents and there was a circular from RBI on Dec. 26, 2002, saying that bank has to HIGHLIGHT the AMB charges when the account is been taken. But this was not followed. They can argue that, since it was a salary account no AMB charges were applicable. But when the account is been converted to savings account, its their duty to HIGHLIGHT that.
    I have raised an issue with the bank for this purpose. But they are explaining me how the AMB charges are calculated and Why it is been charged on my account. These details i knew in my first call itself.
    I also read through the Terms and Conditions of HDFC Salary account. There they have mentioned that Bank can change the account type, if the salary is not credited for more than 3 months. Also they have mentioned that the bank can close the salary account, if the salary is not credited for more than 3 months
    My question was
    1. Why my account was not closed, if they knew that salary was not getting credited according to their Terms and Conditions.
    2. Why they have not informed me about the AMB charges when the salary account was converted to savings account accoring to RBI rules.
    3. Why they have put the onus on the customer, to inform about the employer change, when they are not informing about the account type change.

    I just wanted to know, whether the questions are valid and can i approach Ombudsman, if the answers from the bank are not satisfactory. Thanks.

    • Dear Vipin,

      The T&C of the bank states that they can change the account type, if the salary is not credited for more than 3 months and can also close the salary account, if the salary is not credited for more than 3 months. So we assume it could be either of the option and in your case the bank has changed the account type.

      We would suggest that you refer to a recent circular of RBI to know any amendments in the same. The fine print would help to clarify the matter before filing a complaint under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006.

      Also did you file a complaint with the bank? You can approach the Banking Ombudsman only when you have filed a complaint with the bank and they have failed to respond to you or you are not satisfied with their reply.


      • Vipin

        Thanks so much for the reply. Thanks for the in-sight into T&C. I accept that it was specified in T&C that the account will be converted to savings, if the salary is not credited for continuous 3 months. I failed to read that when the account was taken. But when the account was converted to savings, it is as simple as i’m taking a savings account from HDFC anew. So isuppose, its the duty of the bank ,to HIGHLIGHT/intimate the AMB charges applicable. Please find the RBI circular below. Read the 2nd and 3rd paragraph.
        Ref No. DBOD. Dir. BC. 53/13.10.00/2002-03

        December 26, 2002

        All Commercial Banks
        (excluding RRBs and LABs)

        Dear Sir,

        Minimum balance in savings bank accounts

        Reserve Bank of India has not issued any guidelines regarding the minimum balance to be maintained in savings bank accounts. The banks have been prescribing the minimum balance to be maintained taking into consideration the cost involved in maintaining and servicing such accounts and also levying specific charges, if minimum balance is not maintained. There is, however, no uniform approach in this regard.

        2. It has been reported to us that banks do not apprise the customers about the requirement of minimum balance at the time of opening of the accounts and also do not highlight the implication such as levying of charges etc. if the minimum balance is not maintained. Banks also do not ensure to inform the customers about any change in the minimum balance requirement.

        3. We have had the matter reviewed and advise that henceforth banks should inform customers regarding the requirement of minimum balance at the time of opening the account in a transparent manner. Any subsequent changes in this regard should also be intimated to the account holders. The banks may decide the manner in which the information is made available to the customers.

        4. Please acknowledge receipt.

        Yours faithfully,
        (R.C. Agrawal)
        General Manager


        Please correct my understanding if I’m wrong. I have already raised this with bank.

        • Dear Vipin,

          Yes, as per the circular the bank should have intimated you about the AMB charges. But do check if there are any amendments or updations in the circular. As you have already raised the issue with the bank, wait for 1 month for them reply before filing a complaint under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006.


          • Vipin

            Happy to inform you that he Branch Manager had called me this afternoon and offered to credit back the AMB charges to my account within 3 working days. Thanks for all the information.

      • mohammad akram

        Dear Sir,
        I have received your reply in which you had mentioned to re-construct the loan.
        I would like to know that will you re-construct the loan amount on my capital amount or capital with interest.
        Kindly let me know to whom to speak at official person for re-construct of my loan amount.

        Please co-operate and help me.

  129. Umar farooque

    I have visited SBI ATM at around 8:30 am on 11th Feb-2013 to withdrwal amount, there was three atm machin in SBI ATM booth, i have used first and swap my ATM card,
    and it asked me PIN number i have entered but it desnt shown any response,seeing not response i hit the clear button as well as cancel several time,
    but but that also didnot it was hanged,after not getting reponse for long time, i use another machine, i used that and made my transaction success of Rs.500,
    and got receipt and i came out side the ATM as there was huge queue it was showing balance amount 19706.80.it was correct then i scratch the receipt.
    from there i went to take bus to MCTC(towards Mysore), and get the ticket from conductor and sitted in bus, then i got sms that showing the transaction of amount 500 withdrwal and balance is 9706.80,
    followed by this i got another sms showing that Rs.10000.00 with drawl and balance is 9706.80,Then i checked in my mobile banking balance was showing that 9706.80,
    i shocked and went back to atm and checked out some information but there was no security and peoples are in queue,
    i see all over but no information i get nothing then there was telephone number for help or enquiry i dialed number serveral time but it was in correct/disconneted number displayed there.
    I thought it may be technical problem may i will be refund back and went towards bus because i had kept my luggage bag in bus only
    and i ran towards bus, and went to mysore, then keep trying to call to customer care of axis bank, after several hours i got connected, they lodge my complaint,
    but till then i am in mysore.After the customer Care Complaint i also visited to Branch Office Axis Bank,where my account is located and personaly expalin my problem to Mr.Srinath,He lodged again complaint and
    gave assurance of Refunded once it will be received response from associated Bank(i.e State Bank of India).But after several calls and sevaral days waiting for response later
    they again ask me to wait for 17days,and gave assurance of refunded,but till date they are misbehaving and not giving proper guidance for my valuable 10000 rs details,
    so please i request you to take any action towards my complaint and i am very get sick of that money that i worked month together it my salary amount which is me to very important,
    i really begging you for this, i need my amount please.
    It is clearly shows that in Our fastest Growing technologies Country, there is no security,and faulty ATM machines have used in India’s Largest Banking and there is no time out session have maintained in ATM machine Software.
    Please how i lodged the Complaint against Axis Bank.

    • I think the issue where is that faulty machine where you had not logged out of ATM and some one else used it after you were gone , also there was assistance and security personal there at ATM , this is clearly deficiancy in service . I suggest filing a consumer court case here .

    • Dear Mr. Farooque,

      It seems you entered your details in the first ATM and without logging out, moved to the second ATM. This could have resulted in the log in being still open when the next person used the first ATM – and seeing your log in still open, he could have drawn out the Rs 10,000 – whether by mistake or with the intention of taking your money. We are not sure what the bank would do in such a case – however, since you have already filed a complaint with the bank but have not received any response for them for over a month now, we would suggest that you file a complaint under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006 by visiting the link http://www.rbi.org.in/Scripts/bs_viewcontent.aspx?Id=159


  130. mohammad akram

    Dear sir

    At 14/5/20I2 I had met a major accident in which my right leg has been seriously damaged I am under treatment till today I am unable to walk, work or do anything. I have been still getting icici bank letter of recovery till date
    During this period I am unable to pay my house loan and the bank has sent me a recovery notice under section 13(4)of rule 8 .Therefore sir I need some time for the payment of the amount as my financial condition is not up to that mark in the present time. Please help me with conclusion

    • Dear Mr. Akram,

      We would suggest that you approach the bank and present your case to them requesting them to restructure your loan by increasing the tenure and reducing the EMI. Although post the restructuring there would be a “Restructured” remark on your credit report but this is always better than non payment.


    • Hi Akram

      I have my sympathy with you , however for loan repayment , banks will not consider these points for long . They will follow the usual process for recovery even in your case, its business for them

  131. suraj vastrakar

    here is what i complain to ombudsman banking on 04/07/2012 whish is as under :——————————
    Office of the banking ombudsman
    C/o. Reserve Bank of India
    Pt. J. N. Marg
    Dear sir,
    (Sub:-non refundable of rs.10000/- by state bank
    ,sec-1, shaktinagar Rourkela)
    Dear sir ,
    This is to inform you that I (abdul sattar)
    am a customer of sbi bank ,sec-1 shaktinagar branch Rourkela, having
    my SB a/c no.-30016020732.On date 13.12.11 ,rs.10000/- is deducted
    from my a/c from atm 13471 UNI(as it mentioned in the passbook).but on
    that day ,I used my atm card nowhere.then I complained it to the bank
    .on date 23.12.11 , Rs.10000/- is credited to my account.but again on
    date 30.12.11, Rs. 10000/- is deducted from atm 13641 UNI. my atm card
    was not used anywhere on that day too.when I complained it to the
    branch manager why this happening he was also shocked. .after filling
    up complain form(c.no.-AT42923370113 as I got in my mobile message),he
    told he will look into the matter. i asked for acknowledge
    receipt,then one of the staff proudly said to fill up the complain
    form and to go. after 15 days when I went to meet branch manager(timir
    ranjan mohanty) ,he’s telling that either you or your son must have
    used the atm at united bank of india giving a bank’s statement copy(I
    am attaching that statement and passbook’s copy).i told that you prove
    it that I used the atm.we went to him 3 to 4 times.lastly he refered
    to us to go sector-5 bussiness center .their staff said to complain it
    to the police they will check it by cctv record.in this way I am
    harassed by their service.and my money is lost.that’s why lastly I
    complaining it to you to go through the matter.and I want my money
    back with fine.
    So I there fore request you to kindly take action about it.and help us
    to get my money back.
    Date: 04/07/12
    thanking you !
    Place: Rourkela
    your sincerely



    p.o.+vill –


    Cell no:-09692215568
    THIS WAS MY COMPLAIN TO ob rbi. but it was not fruitful to me since they supported to sbi bank
    so plz help me what should i do ?

    • Dear Mr. Sattar,

      As you have already filed a complaint under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme 2006, and have received their reply as well, the next step is to file a complaint with the consumer court.


  132. Abdul Rehman Dalayat

    Hi Manish,

    I have my query on forex charges. I work for an European MNC from Apr’2009 till date. Am banking with HDFC Bank for last 13 yrs & this is my salary account. Every month my salary differs from the forex charges USD of the day they credit into my account. In the last FOUR yrs that is till date I have lost Rs,1,01,031.63 in form of differences. I have discussed this with the bank for last TWO yrs but don’t see any results.
    Can I take this up with Ombudsman for my LOSS & what else can I claim from Bank.
    Pls help as this can be used for some needy people.


    Abdul Rehman


    ON 5-2-2013 I CAME TO KNOW ABOUT THEFT OF Rs.160187/- from my SB acount through 16 ATM withdrawals over4 day ie feb 2,3,4,5 in 2013 .MY ATM card is still in my safe custody .No SMS alert recieved for withdrawals.
    On 6/2/2013 I submitted a written complain to the concerned branch (sbi ballabh garh) and to my area police station(PS SHAKAR PUR) FIR was lodged later
    NO response from bank, ..
    On 10/2/2013 I comlained to SBI chairman thr eMAIL
    A complain was booked but complain was closed unilatrally without any communication to me
    A fresh complain was lodged with same outcome
    A written complain to RBI ombudsman was lodged but no satisfactory response till date
    An RTI dated 6/3/2013 to know the status of SMS alert revealed that SMS was not captured by CBS and bank doesnot have information of TELEPHONE NO on which SMS alert was sent .This information was given on date 18/3/2013. But soon after theft I started getting SMS alerts on my moble inpite of giving no request for SMS alert to bank
    Appellate authority of bank RTI system was informed about non satisfactory information provided by bank in respone to the RTI.

  134. Mr Gambhir

    Hi Manish,

    I had made a ATM withdrawal from a Kotak mahindra Bank in Oct 12 using my ICICI bank debit card. The transaction message was sucessful even though no money was dispensed. I complained to the Kotak Mahindra staff inside the ATM booth but they asked me to complain to ICICI Bank. After 3 months, ICICI Bank has given the final letter of rejection. I have filed an online complaint with BO against ICICI bank on the ATS link. Even after 2 months, my application is showing “Under process’ on the ATS link. Pls let me know, how much more time it would take & what should I do in the meantime.

    Mr Gambhir

  135. O P Choudhary

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    IBPS Authority & Banking Ombudsman
    through your website
    Why Ibps SpecialistOfficer(SO) cut-off marks kept similar between OBC and SC/ST?
    SC/ST cut-off marks should be less than from OBC.
    It’s unrealistic. SC/ST students are very unhappy for this.
    Please think about it and reply as soon as possible.


    Please refer to complain no 466 dt 4-5-2013
    1) First footage not showing the face of the person withdrawing the money
    2,3,and 4th footage CCTV machine not working or not capturing the video.
    submitted for your expert comments please

  137. Simhachalam k

    My name is Simhachalam and my SB A/c No: 20020776207 in SBI Gandhinagar branch Hyderabad . I’m maintaining this account past 3 years, I’m satisfied service but past few months onwards my ATM, other bank transactions are attracting service charge, actually my first five other bank ATM transaction should be free. In this regard I made a complaint bearing No: CS11607752909. dated 04/20/2013

    I got a call from your employee and updated irrelevant information and closed the above complaint. Please look into this issue.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Simhachalam K,


    Please refer to complain no 466 dt 4-5-2013
    1) First footage not showing the face of the person withdrawing the money
    2,3,and 4th footage CCTV machine not working or not capturing the video.
    submitted for your expert comments please

  139. lakshmi

    Dear Mr. Manish Chauhan
    It’s a joint SB account of me and my husband in SBI bank. The ATM card is in my name. On 25.10.2012 my husband used this ATM card and withdrew Rs 1500. He didn’t get the slip at the end of the transaction, but the machine showed out of order. So he went to the nearest another ATM to know the balance in our account. In the mini statement he saw one more transaction or Rs. 10,000 after 3 minutes of the first transaction of Rs. 1500. We are shocked how anyone can take money without our ATM card and pin number. After a long struggle with the bank we made a complaint to the Banking Ombudsman and on 04.04.2013 we got our Rs. 10,000 only. When we asked for the compensation RBI ombudsman told that ATM card was operated by my husband, when the card is in my name. So we will not get any compensation or even interest for the amount. We told RBI that it’s a joint account. But they didn’t agree. I want to know whether there is any rule that my husband should not use the ATM card even though he is a joint account holder. Is there any possible way to get compensation and interest for the amount.

    Mrs. Lakshmi Raja , Chennai

  140. Sumeet

    I was having credit card with Standard Chartered Bank from 2005 till 2008 which i did not use and even tugged with the receiving letter for these three years. After expiry of card in May 2008, Bank started giving me calls that i have outstanding amount of 6500/- and need to clear it as card is already deactivate for expiry. I asked them to provide me the statement to justify the dues which i can look and understand. Customer care told that they don t have records and can not provide statement and saying to pay outstanding. This had gone for 3-4 months for which they stopped calling me and I also felt that bank is unnecessary harassed me to get amount for which they dont have records.

    After when I went to apply home loan in 2009, It was not approved due to defaulter in CIBIL with 6500 dues, I went to the Bank and repeated the same conversation to give me the records but they were not having. I was in need of home loan to sort out the matter, I and Bank decided to pay half amount 3500 and close my dues and also update CIBIL on this to remove my name from database. This was agreed and written by Bank in the letter head signed by Manager authority on receving 3500 payment. It was also mentioned that it will take 60 working days to update in CIBIL and I trusted them and went away.

    Based on this letter, my home loan was approved for which regular payments are going. In 2012, I went to apply for car loan and it was strange to see that my loan was again not approved due to dues from SC and accrued to 12000 in 3 years. The same I again got approved from the letter from SC in 2009.

    Since, I have started writing mails to SC on the commitment letter in 2009 and asked them to update my name which is showing 13000 amount. Their reply to emails are that my card was invalidated and those dues has accrued to 13000 in 2013. My repeated communication to them on 3500 payment and deletion my name in CIBIL has not being responded and not satisfied on it. It seems they are not considering the matter written in the letter.

    Please suggest what needs to be done here? I need to get my name removed from CIBIL and no amount to be paid as its Bank who did not update CIBIL on time and amount is 13000 even if settlement is in 3500/-

  141. Navaneet

    Hi Sir/Madam,

    I want complain agenst my Bank (HDFC), Please guide How to complain online.

    0086 15190866039

    • Dear Navaneet,

      Have you already lodged a complaint with the Bank and when?

      If you have not lodged a complaint then we would suggest that you lodge a complaint and wait for one month.

      If yes, has the bank failed to respond to your complaint within one month? Was their reply satisfactory?

      If you have received any reply from the bank and you feel it is not satisfactory then you can escalate that complaint to Banking Ombudsman and await their response.


  142. Neha S

    I want to complain against HDFC Bank. My father took loan from HDFC Bank under the kisan credit card scheme whose overdraft limit was 6 lacs. He expired in july, last year. I got to know from someone that the heirs are not liable to repay the loan after the borrower’s death. But the bank did not inform us and asked us to repay the loan. We paid more than half of the loan from all the savings we had and now our financial condition is not good.
    Can I file a complaint against HDFC Bank for getting back the amount we have paid?

  143. Dear Neha,

    We would suggest that you read the loan agreement to confirm the liability of the heirs in event of death of the borrower.


  144. Paul

    I received a sms from Axis Bank that my account will be debited with Rs.5 every month for sms service rendered to me. First of all though this is a small amount on what authority does bank debit without the account holder’s concurrance or written instruction, Just imagine Rs.5/- every month from 1 account holder and just imagine ther are 1000000 x Rs.5/- how much they make whereas they buy sms in bulk, this is one of the scams that needs to be brought out, the only sufferer i the end is the common man. I am to reverse this

    • Paul

      I think you had applied for sms requests when you opened the account, and it must have written clearly in your agreement that its a limited time free offer or the terms can change later. Check with bank on that . If you do not need this service, better disable it .

  145. Priya

    Hey Manish , Hope you are doing good! After going through one of your articles about the FD which every bank demands for a locker, I went to the SBI bank branch where I have my home loan and asked them for a locker. They said they dont have big locker but they have a small one available but for that I will have to deposit Rs.1,10000 as an FD. I argued with the lady that RBI rule books dont say so and enquired about yearly rent, to which she said its Rs.1200 PA. I told her that I will deposit 3600 , max 4000 as an FD and not more than that. She asked me to meet the bank manager then. The bank manager told me the same thing and I argued with her as well but of no use. When she thought that we were not inclined to open an FD , she said we can take insurance policy as well. We did not agree to that as well. Upon asking her why should we deposit such a huge amount, she said its a business expansion initiative blah blah!

    So my question is , in my case is it necessary to give a written complaint to the bank , wherein we know the bank is already following this malpractice and they are not going to take any action ?

    Can I directly register a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman for this issue ?

    I believe I can also file an RTI for this but not sure which is a better option – Ombudsman or RTI . Please help!

    • Good that you took this initiative , Dont worry , you will get the locker for 4000 only . I will guide you on what you should have done .

      1. At that moment itself, you should have told bank manager that you are filing a RTI against HIM (Bank managers are CPIO officers itself and are suppose to reply to RTI) . In the RTI reply, he himself has to reply you that only 3 years charges + breaking charges has to be paid.

      2. I suggest put a RTI to him or refer to this article – http://www.jagoinvestor.com/2012/12/rti-application-for-psu-banks.html .

      3. You can complain to Banking OMbudsman only after 1 month when you have already complained to bank and have not got satisfactory answer. So first complain to bank and then in next one month , complain to Banking ombudsman

      4. I would say just meet the Bank manager and tell him about your plan and that you know the rules to the core and he should not mess up with you

      For any issue mail me and we will get the locker for you in correct manner.


  146. rustom

    Dear Manish…
    I have had remitance from abroad to my account in India HSBC. According to my company and contract all charges for remitance are oaid by the company. In any case HSBC charged me a deduction as fees and another as some govt tax. Apart from this an amount of 10 usd is missing. The company verifies a certain amount that they have remited and confirm no charges are deducted from the remited amt from their bank side. The amt recieved is always 10 usd less than the amt remmited and then i pay hsbc charges and also a tax which they say is a govt thing.

    II have asked them where is the 10usd missing and they claim it is an intermediatory bank..whereas my company assures me that their bank has no intermediatory bank and transferes the amt directly to my account..and if there was a charge from their bank they would cover it. Also no other employee across the globe gets this deduction.
    Also there si no reciept nor notification of the deduction, I simply do not know where the 10usd dissapears..after it being transfered from the remiting bank….one thing is for sure the remiting bank is transfering the whole amt..lets say X….and then i recieve X- 10 .
    I have re written to HSBC with all mals from my company clarifying the amt remited and no charges being deducted from the remiting side….what option do I have to tke my complaint with HSBC India further

  147. Paul

    Yes, I checked clearly nothing like that, if for 6 months they send sms and not charged suddenly they charge and that too without informing the account holder then naturally i am upset, this is the trend going on with almost all providers, talk is going on, lets see, if an RTI is raised, how much is the cost and how much is the expense, one will find that bank will be making excess money just through this sms banking service in the name of giving better service. You know they first say they will deduct and if not require I have to go to their branch spending more than 70 to 100 Rs, by email, calls, and auto expenses. Banks have got good mind in their team if they want to they can redraft their intimation like this “Bank is providing alerts to account holders for free and since sending sms costs money and with our huge client base we are unable to provide this service for free and will be charging a marginal amount of Rs.5.00 per month for sms service from account holders, in case you wish to continue with the sms banking service, please register your name by sending sms on (number) and you continue to receive the transaction sms service and every month Rs.5 will be debited from your account” instead of “Rs.5.00 will be debited from sucha and such date and if you wish to unsubscribe, please visit your nearest branch”


    sir, i have an a/c in HDFC, NARSAMPET ,a/c no.is 23541050000021, it is a salary a/c and having the facility of zero balance. for near about 9 months my salary is being credited in this a/c but unfortunately a/c automatically changed to normal a/c as said by bank personnel of the branch and from a/c near about Rs.2800/ – ( exact y amt. was not noticed by me, this is rough amt.)was debited towards AMB charges , repeated requests made by me credit amt.even though they credited with Rs.1800/- , remaining amt. was not credited till date. Again on 7.6.2013 my a/c was debited with Rs.2890/- towards AMB charges though my salary regularly credited in my a/c.
    On 11.6.2013 i made contact on 9949493333 and lodged a CRM complaint request no.HYDC0613017619, and again i contact them on 24.6.2013 and enquired about my complaint they told that it may cleared within 7 working days ,but it is almost 15 days elapsed my request was not cleared, plz look into the matter and inform me

  149. Rakesh H Patel

    I have ICICI Bank savings Acc. in Surat,Gujarat.
    My Acc.No. is “005201006121”.
    On 27,July 2013 bank deducted Rs. 1500/- from my acc. without any intimation.
    Description was-INWARD CLEARING ZONE.
    Pls. help me to solve this problem.
    I request you that ICICI Bank credit same amount which is debited frm my Account.
    Thanking you Sir.

  150. Sangita R Patel

    Sir, I have ICICI Credit Card (4477 4650 0246 7000) since last 10 yrs.
    I am using it very well & I do payment also in time.
    But Aug. month’s bill is showing Rs. 2054.77 as INTEREST CHARGES &
    253.97 as Service Tax.
    Which is totally wrong in bill.
    Last month bill Rs. 42702.42 is paid on dt. 12,July 2013.
    So pls. do needful.
    Thanking You.

  151. Vaidehi Shukla

    I am a resident of Gurgaon and have visited quiet a few private banks near MGF mall and Sushant Lok for getting a locker. There are many lockers available but all the banks mention that an initial investment in some plans that are available at the bank is mandatory or a minimum deposit of 1-2 lakhs is essential. Knowing the RBI rules, it seems fishy. There are many executives mention that their branch managers forbid them to give lockers to customers with a minimum deposit. Is this correct? And if not where do I complain on Banking Onbudsmen? How can we solve this issue?

      • Dhan Singh


        Please refer to your reply in connection with my earlier request.

        I have written to you with a fervent hope that you, being on the fountain head of the bank organization, will solve my problem and issue direction to the concerned dealing agencies for rectification of the anomaly. It is a problem with the bank staff who do not generate actions on my request despite repeated requests. Otherwise the issue is not bigger. If they are remitting monthly pension to my banks, what is harm in intimating the details of the amount( viz. Basic Pension, DA, deduction of commutation value and net payable amount) to me. With these details I will reconcile my calculation and point out the discrepancies. Also they are deducting extra TDS, which should be revised to correct one.

        Your suggestion to me for writing a RTI letter is a evasive reply from such reputed institution and seems that you are washing your hands off form the responsibility of issuing directions to the relevant agencies. In fact, it is in house action on the part of bank organization which can be solved without any hiccups. In nutshell, I have not been relieved with your reply. I think, your good self being part of bank organization and who is in the helm of affairs to issue such directions for better functioning of the bank is not writing to bank instead you are suggesting me viable.

        Thanking you.

        Yours Sincerely,

        Honorary Captain (Retired) Dhan Singh