I will share with you an important thing today which one of my friend Subbu has figured out himself . Credit goes to him.
A lot of employees do not care to check there Superannuation amount , or they are not even aware that it exists. Knowing the amount of your superannuation can be helpful , because then you know that you have that much saving and hence when you plan your investments , you can factor in this information and take better decisions . This small amount make big chunks of your portfolio .
What is Superannuation Benefit ?
Superannuation is a retirement Benefit by employer . It is a contribution made by employer each year on your behalf towards the group superannuation policy held by the employer. This is an important part of creating wealth for your retirement .
Some other points are :
a) Superannuation Fund is a retirement benefit given to employees by the Company.
b) Normally the Company has a link with agencies like LIC Superannuation Fund, where their contributions are paid.
c) The Company pays 15% of basic wages as superannuation contribution. There is no contribution from the employee.
d) This contribution is invested by the Fund in various securities as per investment pattern prescribed.
e) Interest on contributions is credited to the members account. Normally the rate of interest is equivalent to the PF interest rate. Read what is EPF and PPF ?
f) On attaining the retirement age, the member is eligible to take 25% of the balance available in his/her account as a tax free benefit.
g) The balance 75% is put in a annuity fund, and the agency (LIC) will pay the member a monthly/quarterly/periodic annuity returns depending on the option exercised by the member. This payment received regularly is taxable.
h) In the case of resignation of the employee, the employee has the option to transfer his amount to the new employer. If the new employer does not have a Superannuation scheme, then the employee can withdraw the amount in the account, subject to deduction of tax and approval of IT department, or retain the amount in the Fund, till the superannuation age.
Source : http://www.citehr.com
What is the SuperAnnuation Amount ?
Rules of Superannuation on Maturity
Once the employee completes 3 years of service and works till his/her retirement, he/she can make use of superannuation balance as a form of pension. He/She can withdraw 1/3rd of the accumulated balance after retirement and the rest can be availed as monthly pension till end of life.
Steps for checking Superannuation balance online?
1. Go to licindia.com
2. Register for a user id and password.
4. Click on ‘Group Scheme Details’ tab.
5. Click on ‘member’ radio button.
6. Get the group policy number for super annuation from your company’s payroll department and enter ” in the policy number text box and click ok. (Talk to your finance department for getting the group policy number , this will be unique for all the employees of a company).
7. It will ask for LIC Id no and Date of Birth fields.
8. To get LIC Id no, call LIC branch with which your employer has a super annuation account and inform that you are calling from your company and provide your name to the LIC official. They will give your LIC ID No.
9. Since most companies had not furnished the date of birth details to LIC, enter ’01/07/1960′ / ’07/01/1960′ (forgot the order, try both n check) in the date of birth field.
10. You will get the policy enrolled and you can click on the policy number to view the details. The details will contain the accumulated balance till the last financial year. It also shows contribution made by your employer i the current financial year.
Are you able to see Superannuation Balance for yourself ? Were you aware of it ? Please share with us on comments section . Also please share if you find any discrepancies with the steps .
Note : Some data for this post may be out of date , If one comes to know about it , please let us know ,so that I can make the changes .
Last post was a video post where I talked personally about “How to choose mutual funds” using valueresearchonline.com site .