What to do – I paid Self Assessment tax for wrong Assessment Year ?

POSTED BY manik.gsm ON April 1, 2014 6:34 pm ONE COMMENT


While Filing IT returns for FY 2011-12 (AY 2012-13), In July 2012, I had paid the self assessment tax amount via SBI online Challand but selected the AY as AY 2011-12 instead of 2012-13.

Couple of Days back, I have received an IT return notice where they have marked my Self assessment tax as Rs 0/- and asked me to pay the amount again. On cross verifying , I realized my mistake.

The tax amount is Rs 1200/-. The last option is to pay the amount again but I want to take this as a learning for future, so Can someone kindly let me know what to do in this scenario? Is there any way to claim back or adjust the amount that I had already paid?

One reply on this article “What to do – I paid Self Assessment tax for wrong Assessment Year ?”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Manik, please contact your local Income Tax assessing officer with the details and s/he ‘ll do the needful to change the tax payment AY from wrong one to correct one.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.