Householder’s Policy for my house which is given on rent ?

POSTED BY Ashish Garg ON January 16, 2014 10:10 am COMMENTS (2)


While reading and responding to some other question in this forum, I thought of asking this question.

I have taken a householder’s policy (for structure) from Bajaj Allianz for my apartment in Navi Mumbai. The policy was taken for a 5 years with premium paid in one go. Now that I have shifted to Bangalore and have put this apartment on Rent, what will happen to the policy in case something happens (fire etc.) while the apartment is on rent.

Will insurance company settle the claim even if I am not staying? or do i have to inform the insurer about apartment being on rent (that it is no longer self occupied)?

Please guide.

Ashish Garg

2 replies on this article “Householder’s Policy for my house which is given on rent ?”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Ashish, as you are the owner of the property in question, the structure related loss is yours’ and hence your policy is still beneficial to you. The content in the house (TV, AC, other gizmos etc.) does not belong to you hence any damage to these should be covered by the tenant for his own policy (content only).



    1. Ashish Garg says:

      Hi Ashal,

      Thanks for the reply, as always.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.