Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity

POSTED BY Jassi ON July 2, 2013 10:56 am COMMENTS (5)

Just read an article:

http://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/hdfc-mutual-fund-equity-schemes-disappoint-investors-113070100835_1.html

Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity in question here…..

Want to get your views here….

I am personally investing in HDFC equity and Quantum LTE.

Rgds,

Jassi

5 replies on this article “Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity”

1. Dear Jassi, as of now I’m sailing with HT200, ‘ll decide it’s fate after few months (this may take 2-3 years to decide :))

Thanks

Ashal

2. bharat shah says:

i think that in the article itself Shri Jain replied, between the lines, for the concern of big size that (in a sense) the size seems big if seen alone, but in context of total capitalization of the market , even of active portion, it is not that big.

3. Kuntal says:

Hi Jassi,
    While theoretically having a very large corpus can affect performance, but if the fund manager can manouvere his corpus in a way that it can consistently give above average performance, there is no need to worry. eg HDFC top 200, HDFC equity, IDFC premier equity are largest large-mid, multi, mid-small cap funds respectively; but they are consistent performers. So as of now, you should have no reason to worry.
    Tks,
    Kuntal.

4. Dear Jassi, I’m investing my own money in HT200. should I say more?

thanks

Ashal

1. Jassi says:

Thanks Ashal. Yes, I am aware of that (from other posts).

However, read many a times that big size can give performance problems. Just wanted to know if there are any acute reasons to worry with big sized mutual funds….

I do trust Prashant Jain given the returns that these funds have delivered….but that’s history 🙂

I have just purchased a book today – Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor – John Bogle…….don’t know if I can get some clues here 🙂

Rgds,
      Jassi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.