Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity

POSTED BY Jassi ON July 2, 2013 10:56 am COMMENTS (5)

Just read an article:

http://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/hdfc-mutual-fund-equity-schemes-disappoint-investors-113070100835_1.html

Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity in question here…..

Want to get your views here….

I am personally investing in HDFC equity and Quantum LTE.

Rgds,

Jassi

5 replies on this article “Does big size of a MF have an impact on its performance? – HDFC top 200 and HDFC equity”

1. Dear Jassi, as of now I’m sailing with HT200, ‘ll decide it’s fate after few months (this may take 2-3 years to decide :))

Thanks

Ashal

2. bharat shah says:

i think that in the article itself Shri Jain replied, between the lines, for the concern of big size that (in a sense) the size seems big if seen alone, but in context of total capitalization of the market , even of active portion, it is not that big.

3. Kuntal says:

Hi Jassi,
    While theoretically having a very large corpus can affect performance, but if the fund manager can manouvere his corpus in a way that it can consistently give above average performance, there is no need to worry. eg HDFC top 200, HDFC equity, IDFC premier equity are largest large-mid, multi, mid-small cap funds respectively; but they are consistent performers. So as of now, you should have no reason to worry.
    Tks,
    Kuntal.

4. Dear Jassi, I’m investing my own money in HT200. should I say more?

thanks

Ashal

1. Jassi says:

Thanks Ashal. Yes, I am aware of that (from other posts).

However, read many a times that big size can give performance problems. Just wanted to know if there are any acute reasons to worry with big sized mutual funds….

I do trust Prashant Jain given the returns that these funds have delivered….but that’s history 🙂

I have just purchased a book today – Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor – John Bogle…….don’t know if I can get some clues here 🙂

Rgds,
      Jassi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today