Assessment Tax

POSTED BY Javed Khan ON March 11, 2013 12:33 pm COMMENTS (3)

Hi Guys,

My dad retired from govt service and recieving pension. TDS was not deducted so I want to submit his tax online, which comes out to be 7,000 Rs.

I am filling challan no 280 and Self Asessment tax options, but it says that asessment year would be 2012-2013, I am confused. Am i doing something wrong?




3 replies on this article “Assessment Tax”

  1. Ramprakash says:

    Assumption 1: FY 2012-2013
    Assumption 2: Today’s date is 11 March, 2013 and u r trying to pay tax today

    The tax you pay for FY 2012-2013 till March 31, 2013 is called advance tax
    The tax you pay for FY 2012-2013 from 1 April, 2013 to 31st July 2013 (last day for filing return) is called self assessment tax.

  2. Javed Khan says:

    Hi Ramprakash,
    yes i am trying to pay for FY 2012-13.
    The salary for the month of March has also come, and no Tax has been given for this year. So how can we say that its an advance tax? Its a tax based on the asessment of all the money that is taxable so it should be asessment tax isint it.


  3. Ramprakash says:

    Hi Javed

    I am assuming you are trying to pay the tax for FY 2012-2013.
    If that is the case, then you should be paying Advance Tax and not Self Assessment Tax.
    FY 2012-2013 is same as Assessment Year 2013-2014.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.