16 personal finance principles every investor should know how to be your own financial planner in 10 steps 11 principles to achieve financial freedom

What is the Yard Stick to decide whether a person’s Share Income
(i) Long Term capital Gain/Loss
(ii)Short Term Capital Gain Loss &
(iii) Speculation Profit ,
should be shown under (i) Head – Business Profit or (ii) Capital Gains ?
What are important Court judgements regarding the same ?

2 Answers

{ }

1 justgrowmymoney November 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Put simply – Trading in Futires and Options, even if done only for hedging purposes, are Business profts and losses. In India since none of the F&O are never beyond 3 months all such income/loss will be ST Business gain/loss and will be added to your income and taxed at your tax rate.

Capital gains; Any share bought and sold after 12 months from the date of purchase will be Long term capital gain/loss. Else it is STCG/STCL.The important point to note here is that the sell txn in LTCG should have been done in a recognized exchange and STT paid [means, should not be a private transaction]. Else the gain is not tax free.


2 ashal jauhari November 27, 2011 at 8:17 am

Dear Jigneshdesai, what I understood from your query, when the income from shares ‘ll be classified under the head capital gain/loss & when the income ‘ll be classified under the head income from business?

if my understanding is correct for your query – it’s a grey area & most of the time it depends upon the assessing officer to decide. You may challenge the decision of your AO.

Interestingly if you are holding 2 demat accounts say 1 in ICICI DIRECT & another one in Sharekhan & you are using I-Direct for buy & hold & S’khan for day trading or frequent trading, you may claim partial income in capital gain from I-direct account & partial income from S’khan account in business income.




Hey Stranger Please Login or Register to answer.


  • 10594
    Forum Users
  • 9253
    Questions Asked
  • 38892
    Answers Provided