Wrong PAN number in Income Tax return because of Agent !

POSTED BY Nitin Delhi ON March 19, 2014 5:20 pm ONE COMMENT


I used a local agent to file my ITR for AY 2011-12. He filed it on paper (not online) and provided me the copy of Acknowledgement duly stamped by IT-office.

A year later i received a notice from ITO stating that “Wrong PAN has been stated in your ITR so your return cannot be processed. Stating wrong PAN can attract penalty of Rs 10000. You are required to show cause why we should not proceed with penalties”. This letter was received on Nov-2012.

I informed the agent, he went to the ITO paid some bribe (irrespective of my liking) and said its been taken care of. I have no document o state that its taken care of. So 1 year has passed and i have not received communication from ITO about this.

Today i received an email ( as i filed my ITR myself & online this year) that please login, go to COMPLIANCE tab and select the right response about ITR AY 2011-12.

Under COMPLIANCE tab it shows AY2011-12 – Return Not Received . So maybe the return for that year was not processed at all.

Should i :

1) login online &  fill in COMPLIANCE tab that ITR was filed and here’s the ACKNOWLEDGEMENT number ( I have it right & proper). Will it open another can of worms ?
2) Visit the ITO and be forced to pay another bribe ( which i will not do and may complicate matters).
3) Use RTI – ask what ?

Please help me understand the right and correct choice.

One reply on this article “Wrong PAN number in Income Tax return because of Agent !”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Nitin, please contact a CA this time and do needful as per his/her advice.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.