What do I need to do with Form No. 26AS – I have already e-filed my tax?

POSTED BY monGenie ON July 28, 2011 4:51 pm COMMENTS (4)


What do I do about Form No. 26AS – I have already done e-filing my tax return?

I have already read info. on http://www.tin-nsdl.com/form26as.asp

I see a submit button on  Form No. 26AS – do I need to submit it or something?

I am not sure as I got following message from IT Dept. :

“Reconcile TDS with Tax Credit Statement – 26AS”

What does it mean??






4 replies on this article “What do I need to do with Form No. 26AS – I have already e-filed my tax?”

  1. Kalyani Tiwari says:

    Hey, thanks bemoneyaware for your detailed and helpful reply. 🙂

  2. bemoneyaware says:


    From http://www.tin-nsdl.com/form26as.asp:
    Form 26AS is a consolidated tax statement issued under Rule 31 AB of Income Tax Rules to PAN holders. This statement, with respect to a financial year, will include details of:
    a) tax deducted at source (TDS);
    b) tax collected at source (TCS); and
    c) advance tax/self assessment tax/regular assessment tax etc., deposited in the bank by the taxpayers (PAN holders).

    How is Form 26AS useful for me?
    The credits available in the tax statement confirm that:
    a) the tax deducted/collected by the deductor/collector has been deposited to the account of the government;
    b) the deductor/collector has accurately filed the TDS/TCS statement giving details of the tax deducted/collected on your behalf;
    c) bank has properly furnished the details of the tax deposited by you.
    In future, you will be able to use this consolidated tax statement (Form 26AS) as a proof of tax deducted/collected on your behalf and the tax directly paid by you along with your income tax return, after the need for submission of TDS/TCS certificates and tax payment challans along with income tax returns has been dispensed with by the Income Tax Department (ITD).
    However, as of now for claiming the credit for tax deducted/collected at source you may be required to enclose TDS/TCS certificates (Form 16/16A) issued to you by the deductor.

    Coming to your question:
    You can check that TDS etc mentioned in Form 26AS matches with what you have filed. In case u find some discrepancy you still have sufficient time to refile your returns.

    Have I used it? Yes. I personally found discrepancy in Form 26AS and Form 16A issued by my bank. I approached the bank and hopefully soon the Form 26AS will reflect the update soon.


  3. Kalyani Tiwari says:

    Oh, okay! Thanks Jignesh…

  4. Jignesh Parikh says:

    Hi Kalyani Tiwari,

    IT Dept doesn’t send this SMS. I also received it. It looks that you are registered with some other IT e-filing website.

    I just confirmed from IT Dept support that there are no further formalities are remained from our side once the ack. receipt is received by CPC.

    I had one more case for which I took the clarification about he TDS cut by employer is less by Rs. 3. I asked about any problem with that. There is a limit of Rs. 10. IT dept is fine if the TDS cut is less than Rs. 10.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.