Super Topup Medicare Plan

POSTED BY Sambaran Mitra ON January 5, 2011 7:33 pm COMMENTS (8)

1. If I need medical insurance of 10 lakhs, should I go for vanilla mediclaim of 10 lakh, or shall I go for vanilla-5lakh and super-topup-10lakh-with-5lakh-threshold?
  2. If you have any personal good/bad experience with super-top-up, can you please share that?
  3. Super-top-up has 2 options – individual and family. What are pros/cons of each option?

8 replies on this article “Super Topup Medicare Plan”

1. @healthinsuranceshoppe,

My problem is slightly different. My agent is insisting me for taking super top-up. Its just that I do not completely understand the product and hence I am dilly-dallying and asking questions in this forum about the product.
    BTW, my query is still unanswered. Can you help?

1. healthinsuranceshoppe says:

@sambaran

This product has a compulsory deductible element

There are 2 variants of the Top Up product – Health XS and Super Health XS

Under Top-up, the deductible is applied on each and every admissible claim whereas under Super Top-up, it is applied on the aggregate of all admissible claims per annum

For example, assume a situation where a person has 2 claims – one for Rs.1,30,000 and another for Rs.1,60,000 during the same policy year

Under a Top-up policy with a deductible of Rs.2,00,000, no amount would become payable under both the claims whereas under a Super Top-up policy with a deductible of Rs.2,00,000, he can recover Rs.90,000 under the second claim (Rs.1,30,000 + Rs.1,60,000 – deductible of Rs.2,00,000)

I could have sent you a PPT, but its not allowed in such forum 🙁

1. @healthinsuranceshoppe,

If I have individual personal health insurance of X rupees, why should I go for the super-top-up? A couple of reasons, which I can think of, are:
        1. My insurance provider’s max limit for individual policy is X. If I want a larger cover, super-topup is the only way.
        2. Super top up, if supplemented with an individual policy, allows me to take cover for X at a lesser premium.

Are the above reasons correct? Are there more reasons? You claimed you are pan india topper in understanding super-topup. I am expecting a topper-worthy reply.

@sambaran

You have identified 2 reasons,

1. My insurance provider’s max limit for individual policy is X. If I want a larger cover, super-topup is the only way.

A:- This is not a right reason, as Max Bupa offers medical cover upto 50 Lakhs. So super-top up is not the only way.

2. Super top up, if supplemented with an individual policy, allows me to take cover for X at a lesser premium.

A:- Super top has very low premium which are in age group 0-45 and 46-65.,, so this policy is very cheap as compared to basic policy.

e.g.:- if you take a 8 lac rupee floater, it will cost X amount.
          A combination of 3 lac basic family floater and 5 lac super top will cost 355 cheaper at age group around 45 and it will be 50% cheaper at age 60plus.

Health insurance is bought to avoid a financial setback in case of high cost hospitalization, so this combo is best optimum solution for that. If money is not a concern for some one then he/she should directly buy Max Bupa policy 🙂

2. This question is effectively unanswered till now. I got an article by Harsh Roongta here: http://www.apnainsurance.com/health-insurance-india/super-top-up.html

However I am disappointed to see that he made a mistake in his calculation. For comparing apple-to-apple, he should have compared 5 lakh insurance with a super-top-up of 5-lakhs-with-deductible-of-2-lakhs.

Moreover, judging by the response to this quesiton, I can deduce that Super-Topup is not selling much and hence the awareness is quite low.

@sambaran

You are right brother, there are not many agents in india who are selling top-up policy because the premium are very low and agent doesnt earn much.

There are very few people in India who understand this wonderful product.. I am Pan India Topper for this similar product of royal sundaram

you must carefully understand the concept of top vs super topup.

3. balan says:

I prefer to have super – top up 10 lakh with 5 lakhs threshold for my whole family.

1. @balan, can you explain your choice?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.