Physical share certificates bought by Parents – How to proceed ?

POSTED BY anjali1178 ON November 6, 2014 11:24 am COMMENTS (2)

I am facing a situation where in my elderly parents have several physical shares of listed as well as unlisted companies.

The problem is that these shares are in their individual as well as joint names. However they do not have demat accounts of the names as on the certificates nor do they have bank accounts or any other proof of id. What do i do?

2 replies on this article “Physical share certificates bought by Parents – How to proceed ?”

  1. Lokesh Jain says:

    Hi Anjali,

    First of all, open a Bank account in their names. They require any 1 ID proof to open a bank account in any of the banks in India under the JAN DHAN YOJANA. Well if NO ID proof, you cannot open a bank account. The steps goes after that goes as below.

    1. Open a Bank Account
    2. Open a Demat and trading A/c with any broker
    3. Dematerialize the Share certificates (Approx time period – 45 days maximum)
    4. Sell them or hold them as you wish.


  2. Hemanth says:

    first they have to have demat accounts.

    They can convert those physical shares to demat, by approaching a DP.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.