personalfn.com – Is it worth trying their Mutual Fund advice route for 1000 bucks?

POSTED BY sunil ON September 5, 2013 1:37 pm COMMENTS (12)

Dear Manish and others,

I have recently come across a mail from “personalfn.com”. The excerpt is as follows.

They have a Fund Select package given out for 1000 rs. In that they shall be showing the best available Funds in market etc etc…. and how to choose the Mutaul Funds..

My main question is, did anyone try from them? if YES, how useful is it?

I understand, i am not asking for free lunch, but research is always good than raw data.

Thanks in Anticipation,

Sunil.

12 replies on this article “personalfn.com – Is it worth trying their Mutual Fund advice route for 1000 bucks?”

1. Harihara Suthan says:

Hi – I know this is quite an old thread. But here are my observation. When they say something like 43% it means that it is higher by 43%. So if Nifty 50 has done 10% then their recommendation would have done 14.3% that is beating the index by a margin of 43%.

Their fund select is decent but not glorified. But they never say they are THE BEST. For the price of Rs. 1,000 I really don’t find a reason to complain.

My advice is that even if you go by a combined Morning Star rating + CRISIL rating you can pick some really good Mutual funds.

But they have a course something like “Certified Family Guardian” which they have on offer around Rs. 500 (time to time offer). That one is really good. If you complete that course you can be confident of a decent financial planning.

Or best invest in Index ETF via Step up SIP and let it work the magic. As far as I have observed all the ETFs in India are 1:1 meaning no leverage applied. So almost all ETFs in India track the underlying Index. You can look at that option too. Why am I saying this? Even great investors like Warren Buffet, Charlie Munger, Peter Lynch says Index ETF are the best bet for normal investor to create wealth over long term.

My intention is not to divulge but give different idea that you can think about. Thank you

1. Jagoinvestor says:

Thanks for sharing that course and also sharing your views!

Manish

2. RK77 says:

4 out of 5 funds recommended by them have done well. One has given returns well below the benchmark.

3. bazinga says:

Has anyone subscribed to their mutual fund services , as I too need this information ?

4. sunil says:

@ Vijay – Nice thought process.

5. vijay says:

Interesting proposition you’ve got there! If they can demand the payments ‘result based’ instead, that’d would speaking volumes of their knowledge and confidence without having to talk about money-back guarantee! Moreover, if I were confident of such returns, I’d probably take a personal loan for a million bucks and do the investment rather can seek Rs.1000 as payment from a 1000 people!

6. sunil says:

@Ashsih, as always, they say it’s their 10th year anniversary so they are charging 1000 instead of 5000 per year.

Not sure of the 43% mark (not sure abot what they are saying) hence this thread…. if anyone is already a subscribed member, he can throw some light on this.

Note: I shall never take it until i get 100% assurance on the product that it is useful.

Thanks,
    Sunil.

1. Rajesh says:

Their recommendations are good and process based. If they are charging a fee, the chances are high that they would be unbiased in their advise.

You can certainly try, and go for refund in case you do not like their recommendation.

7. Ashish Garg says:

Hi Sunil,

If they are so sure of 43% performance why are they charging this miniscule amount of Rs.1000 and not a heavy amount to make others rich? Plus this 43% or so again is not guaranteed for future.

Ashish

8. sunil says:

They say the Funds discussed by them have performed 43% better than the normal funds.
    I understand the fine print, 43% compared to non-performing funds (can be a case).

Just wanted to check the authencity of their reports, and wanted to find if anyone had taken this prior.

They even have a money back gaurantee, i am not 100% sure if they will give the subscription amount back with out questions (as they say).

Hence wanted to enquire on this.

Ashal, as always, your way of questioning makes me more alert.

Thanks,
    Sunil.

1. Nishit says:

Hi Sunil,

I’ve also come across the email from PersonalFN and have tried to do my bit of research and came across this old tread started by you.

So, just wanted to know if you finally bought the report? Was it useful?

Thanks,
      Nishit

9. Dear Sunil, let’s discuss it differently. Can you earn extra 2K on your suggested investments from personalfn? This extra 2K is to justify the fee they are charging.

thanks

Ashal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.