LTCG queries for house purchased in 2004 ?

POSTED BY majush philip ON February 23, 2015 5:12 pm ONE COMMENT

I have purchased a flat in Feb 2004 for 105000 .
I have spend close to one lakh in repair works ( 50000 in 2004 , 50000 in 2009) – I do not have bills
I sold the flat in feb 2015 for 4800000.
I also purchased another flat in oct 2013.

Query 1. Can I pay the loan for second house I purchased in 2013 with the proceeds and claim ltcg excemption

Query2 : what is the best way to save LTCG , I am ready to purchase another flat . is it possible?

One reply on this article “LTCG queries for house purchased in 2004 ?”

1. 1. One relevant condition of investment is

The investor/seller should use the funds from capital gain to purchase a new residential house within 1 year before or 2 years after the transfer date (sale/transfer of the original property).

As your house purchase wasmore than 1 year, this condition will not apply and your pre payment of loan will not be saving CG for you.

2. There are 2 ways of saving CG.

a. Buy a new house or flat. If done, the house should be held for at least 3 years else CG exemption will have to be surrendered. If the transaction is not done immediately, the money is to be parked in CG account in a recognised bank.

b. Investing sale proceeds in Bond(NHAI etc). These will be locked in for 3 years. Interest on the investment is taxable in the hands of the investor.

One can choose the option of one’ choice.

Trust I answered your question.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today