Loss in shares – tax exepmtion

POSTED BY Ashish ON July 1, 2011 7:07 pm ONE COMMENT


I just read your article about “How to use losses to reduce tax” – a very useful article indeed. I have two questions regarding this –

1. Can we claim for tax deduction for loss in shares against salary from employer (I dont have any capital gain from property/share/MF).

2. If a share/MF is purchased in, say, FY 2008-2009 and sold for loss in FY 2009-2010, can we claim tax deduction for this? (either against income or against capital gain).

I have incurred loss in shares in 2010-2011 but those shares were purchased in FY 2007-2008 and I dont have any capital gains from property/MF/Shares.

Thanks in advance,


One reply on this article “Loss in shares – tax exepmtion”

  1. Ramesh says:

    1. Short term capital losses cannot be set against any other class of income (in this case salary from employer).
    2. long term capital losses for shares are zero. since LTCG for shares is zero.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.