HRA and Loss on Multiple owned Houses in the same city

POSTED BY hitinv ON April 11, 2014 1:59 pm COMMENTS (2)

Hi, I own 2 houses in City A and both are rented. I stay in a rented apartment in the same city.

In the above scenario can I claim HRA benefits and also tax benefits under Section – Loss on housing property for let out properties. I will not be claiming any tax benifits for self occupied properties.


2 replies on this article “HRA and Loss on Multiple owned Houses in the same city”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Hithi, yes is the answer.



  2. vphonsa says:

    You can, for the rented houses you can claim tax benefit for actual interest paid however you need to declare the rent received from these 2 properties.

    Interest paid – Rent received = Loss under income from house property

    And you can actually claim the HRA benefit for the rented house where you are staying. If you are working in a company then the finance deptt might ask you to get a certificate from CA (but it depends if they’ll ask or not).


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.