Getting refund of Stamp Duty from Govt in 1 yr – Is my builder correct when he says that ?

POSTED BY imsuunil ON January 6, 2014 2:39 pm COMMENTS (3)

Hello All,

I booked a Flat in Pune in one of the reputed Scheme. Due to some circumstances builder is going to change a plan for my building where I booked a Flat. He is saying I need to transfer my registration to new one and for that I have to cancel old registration. He said Stamp Duty which I paid for earlier flat will get refunded in a year or so from government. Just want to confirm this thing with you all.

Another Option builder has given to me is, I can choose a flat from another building which is under construction. What are the possible ways to move forward in this case?

Thanks in Advance for your valuable suggestions.


3 replies on this article “Getting refund of Stamp Duty from Govt in 1 yr – Is my builder correct when he says that ?”

  1. imsuunil says:

    Thanks All.

  2. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Sunil, it’s more a legal issue so better to contact an advocate.



  3. Ashish Garg says:

    Hi Suunil,

    I may not be correct here, but this is out of my personal experience in past. In case both parties have signed on the stamp paper (franked document) – which means the stamp paper has been executed then stamp duty can not be refunded. Moreover as per Stamp Act, stamp duty paid can be claimed within 6 months of its payment.

    I had booked a flat long back and due to certain missing documents at sellers end, I could not get loan and decided to call off the purchase. In the meantime, I had paid the stamp duty and registration amount but the sales deed was not executed in front of the registrar (none of buyer / seller had signed on the agreement). I claimed the refund from the registrar office and got the refund after deduction of nominal administrative charges.

    Ashish Garg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.