Forgot to mention Challan (ITNS 280) details in IT return for AY 2013-14

POSTED BY tanmayb ON February 16, 2014 4:48 pm COMMENTS (8)

While filling the  IT return for Assessment Year 2013, I forgot to write the details of the Challan Number 280, that I paid for the due Income Tax.  But I did sent the hard copy of the Challan along with the return hard copy to CPC, Bangalore.

Due to this mistake I received a defaulter notice letter from the local Income tax office. When I called the CPC, Bangalore telephone helpline and explained them the matter they asked me to ignore this notification and wait for a correspondence from CPC, Bangalore only. So I did not go to the Local Income Tax office either.

My IT return status on the website is showing as ITR V Received complete. Please suggest me corrective actions or should I wait for notification from CPC, Bangalore which I have not received so far.

Thanks in advance

Tanmay Bhardwaj

8 replies on this article “Forgot to mention Challan (ITNS 280) details in IT return for AY 2013-14”

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks for your response Amit.
    I have resubmitted Defective Return u/s 139(9) using the Income Tax online website.

I hope this time is gets solved.

Regards
    Tanmay

2. Amit_Jha says:

Dear Tanmay,
    I am an Income tax inspector working in chennai. I would like to suggest that you should meet your jurisdictional assessing officer and show him copy of ITR-V of revised return.. Actualy when any tax due and return is filed then that return is treated as Defective return u/s 139(9) of IT act. If your Assessing officer ask you to file a return again then you can file a return again..

3. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, please file a revised return under section 139(9). Send the ITR-V.

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks for your response Ashal.

Regards
      Tanmay

4. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, it’s Revised 139(5).

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks Ashal,

As per your suggestion, I filled the revised return in category 139(5).
      But yesterday only I received an email from CPC Bangalore citing

“With reference to the Defective Notice for AY 2013-14 issued u/s 139(9) of the Income Tax Act, by your jurisdictional officer,
      you are requested to
      1. Pay the taxes due and file a corrected return u/s 139(9).
      2. If you have already paid taxes then file a corrected return u/s 139(9) in response to the defective notice.”

Can you please let me know how to respond to this notification.

Regards
      Tanmay

5. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, please file a revised ITR now, mentioning all the details. Send the new ITR-V to Banglore.

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks Ashal,
      While filling the revised e-return under the category “Return filed under section”, what should I choose.
      Does it has to be “Revised 139(5)” (got to know after searching the internet) in my case or some other section?

The sections available are:
      11- Before Due Dt 139(1)
      12- After Due Dt 139(4)
      13- u/s 142(1)
      14- u/s 148
      15- u/s 153A
      16- u/s 153C r/w 153A
      17- Revised 139(5)
      18- u/s 139(9)

Regards
      Tanmay

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.