Forgot to mention Challan (ITNS 280) details in IT return for AY 2013-14

POSTED BY tanmayb ON February 16, 2014 4:48 pm COMMENTS (8)

While filling the  IT return for Assessment Year 2013, I forgot to write the details of the Challan Number 280, that I paid for the due Income Tax.  But I did sent the hard copy of the Challan along with the return hard copy to CPC, Bangalore.

Due to this mistake I received a defaulter notice letter from the local Income tax office. When I called the CPC, Bangalore telephone helpline and explained them the matter they asked me to ignore this notification and wait for a correspondence from CPC, Bangalore only. So I did not go to the Local Income Tax office either.

My IT return status on the website is showing as ITR V Received complete. Please suggest me corrective actions or should I wait for notification from CPC, Bangalore which I have not received so far.

Thanks in advance

Tanmay Bhardwaj

8 replies on this article “Forgot to mention Challan (ITNS 280) details in IT return for AY 2013-14”

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks for your response Amit.
    I have resubmitted Defective Return u/s 139(9) using the Income Tax online website.

I hope this time is gets solved.

Regards
    Tanmay

2. Amit_Jha says:

Dear Tanmay,
    I am an Income tax inspector working in chennai. I would like to suggest that you should meet your jurisdictional assessing officer and show him copy of ITR-V of revised return.. Actualy when any tax due and return is filed then that return is treated as Defective return u/s 139(9) of IT act. If your Assessing officer ask you to file a return again then you can file a return again..

3. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, please file a revised return under section 139(9). Send the ITR-V.

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks for your response Ashal.

Regards
      Tanmay

4. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, it’s Revised 139(5).

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks Ashal,

As per your suggestion, I filled the revised return in category 139(5).
      But yesterday only I received an email from CPC Bangalore citing

“With reference to the Defective Notice for AY 2013-14 issued u/s 139(9) of the Income Tax Act, by your jurisdictional officer,
      you are requested to
      1. Pay the taxes due and file a corrected return u/s 139(9).
      2. If you have already paid taxes then file a corrected return u/s 139(9) in response to the defective notice.”

Can you please let me know how to respond to this notification.

Regards
      Tanmay

5. ashalanshu says:

Dear Tanmay, please file a revised ITR now, mentioning all the details. Send the new ITR-V to Banglore.

Thanks

Ashal

1. tanmayb says:

Thanks Ashal,
      While filling the revised e-return under the category “Return filed under section”, what should I choose.
      Does it has to be “Revised 139(5)” (got to know after searching the internet) in my case or some other section?

The sections available are:
      11- Before Due Dt 139(1)
      12- After Due Dt 139(4)
      13- u/s 142(1)
      14- u/s 148
      15- u/s 153A
      16- u/s 153C r/w 153A
      17- Revised 139(5)
      18- u/s 139(9)

Regards
      Tanmay

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today

Download Our FREE Ebook!

Available only for first 100 people today