Filing Returns when income from both US and India ?

POSTED BY Manisha ON February 6, 2014 10:16 am ONE COMMENT

How are the returns to be filed when you have income from both US and India for a given financial year? For the year 2013, I was in US until Oct. Thereafter I have been working from the Indian office. Considering, US financial year is from Jan 2013 to Dec 2013, in that case, do I have to declare the Indian income and investments too while I file my US taxes? So far I have received my W2 and planning to file my state and federal taxes as per the norm. Do I file with just the US income or include the Indian salary too as Foreign compensation not included on W2? What about the Mutual Funds / Insurance / investments in India?

I have been hearing diff things from diff people. HR Block (India) is charging me $220 for filing my tax returns considering my situation. Typically they would charge just the basic fees for filing taxes (<$50). Wondering if its fair enough ? Can anyone share their experience / inputs /suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.


One reply on this article “Filing Returns when income from both US and India ?”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Nisha, please discuss your issue with a CA or Tax professional who is equally good in US taxation also.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.