Wrong TAN entered in IT return, what to do?

POSTED BY Ashish Garg ON May 17, 2013 8:32 pm COMMENTS (14)

Hi,

I have been filing my IT returns religiously for last few years and since the year FY2008-09, I have been filing it online. I was checking the status of onling return filing and realise that it has not been processed and forwarded to the concerned IT AO and this has happened for the last 3 continuous years.

I was wondering why so, since I filed the returns for my wife as well and those were processed. Today with a serious finding, I realised that I had stated the TAN number of my employer wrong in all these three year returns. This may sound stupid, but its true that for all these 3 years I have done this mistake. Now I don’t know what to do and how to rectify it. I have got all the relevant documents such as Form 16, investment proofs, copy of filed IT returns, ITR-V as acknowledgement of returns filed.

Need help on this, if someone can throw some light and help me with the procedue to rectify the same.

Thanks

Ashish

14 replies on this article “Wrong TAN entered in IT return, what to do?”

1. ashalanshu says:

Dear Ashish, I’m happy that timely action taken by you resulted into a positive outcome to you.

Thanks

Ashal

2. Dear Ashish, thanks for the update. Keep us updated.

Thanks

Ashal

1. Ashish Garg says:

Hi Ashal,

Thanks for the direction you gave me a few months ago. I had filed the revised return and now recently got a communication from IT CPC that return has been processed and there is a refund, which shall be directly sent to my bank account. To my surprise, the refund has been credited as well.

Thanks for your timely suggestion that i could file the revised return and now got the refund as well. 🙂

Ashish Garg

3. Dear Ashish, as you are merely recitying an old within time filed return, there ‘ll not be any penalty.

Thanks

Ashal

1. Ashish says:

Dear Ashal,

Thanks a lot for your response and clarification..

Ashish

4. Dear Ashish, for AY 2012-2013, you can still rectify the mistake by filing a revised return.

thanks

Ashal

1. Ashish says:

Dear Ashal,

Thanks. I shall do it immediately without any further delay. Also, just wanted to ask, since the date of filing return is well past, will there by any penalty or something that I may have take care of?

Ashish

2. Ashish Garg says:

Dear Ashal,

I have filed the revised return (online using XML utility) for AY 2012-13 on 20th May and shall be sending the ITR V to CPC today.

One of the issue that I have noticed here, while filing the revised return I have to choose a specific section “u/s 139 (5)” and after filling up all the details etc, I realised I now owe some more money to IT deptt? I wonder why this has happened since I had only changed the TAN number and nothing else. Well the real reason is, my revised return is counted as “WRONG information provided while filing the original return” and hence there is a penalty.

Well I had no other option to pay it and make sure that there is no due to IT now for AY 2012-13.

As for AY 2010-11 and 2011-12, I am writing a letter to the concerned AO along with all the proofs and shall see if something can be done. Unfortunately, I have moved from that city and now residing in other city, so meeting the AO in person would not be possible.

I thought of sharing my experience for benefit of others in this forum.

Ashish

5. Dear Ashish, please contact the old AO with all old ITRs & ITR-Vs as well as those notices from CPC Banglore.

thanks

Ashal

6. oops! I meant: I once got a not processed email because I had signed in black ink! (I was wondering why until my CA cousin pointed this out and he was right!)

7. Ashish,

I am surprised that the taxman has not informed you of this. I once got a not processed email because I had not signed in black ink! (I was wondering why until my CA cousin pointed this out and he was right!)

You will have to file a revised return for all the years. You can use the same ITR forms for these. You will need to mention the earlier ack no in each return

Eventually it should get processed. Since there is no change in tax or income source there should not be be a problem.

Perhaps a CA could add if anything more should be done.

1. Ashish says:

Dear FFC,

Thanks for your quick response. I did got the not processing notice (for AY 2010-11 on 5th Jan 2012, and for AY 2011-12 on 12th Jan 2012, still awaiting for the AY 2012-13) but there was no reason given for non-processing.

Since there was no reason, I could not understand why this notice and the biggest stupidity that I never really bothered about it. Today I was just trying to see in detail that why this mistake and then only noticed that its my mistake and for 3 continuous years!!!

The notice says that the return can not be processed and need to contact the IT AO for further action. Am I suppose to contact the AO or should I just e-file the returns with all details properly entered this time?

Ashish

1. if the notice says you should meet the AO then you should. Please meet and explain to him the inadvertent mistake and that you will file revised returns. Should not be a problem.

1. Ashish says:

Dear FFC,

Thanks. Since I have moved from that city now, I’ll first initiate a written request to AO with all details attached and then I shall see, If I can do something about it…

I will try to re-file the returns for last FY since it is not yet processed.

Ashish

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.